The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The only time I've seen banding is when posting here or elsewhere or occasionally when going way too far in CS5. Otherwise it's not been a problem for me. If I ever have a camera with uncompressed files I'll give it a good road test and then decide.
I had problems with banding when I first got my a7rii
Changing the LR Export File Settings to 100 solved the problem.
For some reason it was set to 60. Don't know if that was a default setting back then.
Didn't notice the banding with my previous Olympus and Canon images

I went to Camden on friday to do some street photography and took a ton of photos sort of documenting a few people and places around Camden Lock. I'm processing them at the moment. In this one, I'm convinced it's Captain Picard getting a bite to eat.

I had problems with banding when I first got my a7rii
Changing the LR Export File Settings to 100 solved the problem.
For some reason it was set to 60. Don't know if that was a default setting back then.
Didn't notice the banding with my previous Olympus and Canon images

I'm sure I've seen it with all my cameras now and again but mostly and possibly only when either posting on the internet or going far too far in processing and even then I'm sure I do remember shots showing banding in jpeg but not in tiff. Other people may have run into real problems but so far I can't say banding definitely due to Sony raw file compression has been something I've had to worry about, if ever. I may have just been either lucky or missing it though :D I don't print much but I don't remember ever seeing banding in a print. Whatever. It's not something I'm worried about but having said that if I get a camera that gives uncompressed raws I'm willing to become a convert.

Hello Everyone...

It been a bloody long time since i have been in here and posted just been a strange year and pretty hectic and busy with other things so not really been into photography as much as I liked.. Going to get myself back into it again while I can..

How is everyone.. Any regular moved away from the sony?

I have still got what i left off with so nothing changed on my side..

Nice to see you here Andrew.

I still have my A7 and I'm still buying film era lenses. I am trying to stop though. I've got one arriving soon and that's the last I'll be buying :D I'm not doing much photography due to the weather and being busy.

Sony kit as it stands.
Sony A7.
Sony 28-70mm kit lens, 20, 35, 55 and 85mm f1.8's, 28mm f2 and 35mm f2.8. Voigtlander 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2. The 28mm f2 was my latest Sony mount buy and it's surprised me as I've read lots of criticism of it but to me it seems to be a very nice lens

Went to the lakes last week to our static caravan for a few days just in time before the lock down again. We kept well away from anyone we was out in the open and enjoyed our time.. Though i post a image of our Millie. She was great with it being her first time away on her own without Molly the Jack Russell you all prob remember we lost her a few month back.

DSC01587.jpg
by Andrew Rookes, on Flickr

I think this was the last picture I took outside the house and garden. 28mm f2 at f5. Cold, miserable, complete cloud cover and dead flat light. I don't know why I bothered.

nXAZ2Oh.jpg

Nice to see you here Andrew.

I still have my A7 and I'm still buying film era lenses. I am trying to stop though. I've got one arriving soon and that's the last I'll be buying :D I'm not doing much photography due to the weather and being busy.

Sony kit as it stands.
Sony A7.
Sony 28-70mm kit lens, 20, 35, 55 and 85mm f1.8's, 28mm f2 and 35mm f2.8. Voigtlander 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2. The 28mm f2 was my latest Sony mount buy and it's surprised me as I've read lots of criticism of it but to me it seems to be a very nice lens
How do you find the 20mm f1.8?
My widest is the 24mm end of my 24-105mm.
I'd like something wider, say the 16-35mm f4 but have thought about the 20mm 1.8 as an option.

Last edited:
How do you find the 20mm f1.8?
My widest is the 24mm end of my 24-105mm.
I'd like something wider, say the 16-35mm f4 but have thought about the 20mm 1.8 as an option.

I think it's excellent. I had the Sigma 20mm f1.8 in Canon mount and if the Sony had just matched that lens I'd have been happy but it's in a completely different class. The build quality seems to be nice too and it has a button which my A7 unfortunately can't use. Due to everything I said above I've hardly used the 20mm but it does seem to be a very nice lens. There are plenty of reviews and sample pictures on line and all I can say is that I doubt I'll ever be disappointed with this lens. One day I hope to go on a cruise to see the northern lights and if I get to go this lens will be going with me.

I think it's excellent. I had the Sigma 20mm f1.8 in Canon mount and if the Sony had just matched that lens I'd have been happy but it's in a completely different class. The build quality seems to be nice too and it has a button which my A7 unfortunately can't use. Due to everything I said above I've hardly used the 20mm but it does seem to be a very nice lens. There are plenty of reviews and sample pictures on line and all I can say is that I doubt I'll ever be disappointed with this lens. One day I hope to go on a cruise to see the northern lights and if I get to go this lens will be going with me.
I'd like to try some night sky stuff, and the 20mm 1.8 would be suitable for that but the 16-35 f4 less so.

I've heard of quite a few people picking up the A7c so waiting to hear their real life opinions.

Then again, I've been out this morning in the damp and the A7 done everything I wanted it to....

I keep looking at several lenses but I don't think I need them in all honesty.

Last edited:
I've heard of quite a few people picking up the A7c so waiting to hear their real life opinions.

Then again, I've been out this morning in the damp and the A7 done everything I wanted it to....

It's really great to use. Especially when I'm out and about with family. Really enjoying the size especially with my samyang 45mm/1.8

To me, much of the reason for changing from an A7III is new-toy syndrome. No reason not to, but for many of us the difference in size, weight and AF performance will be un-noticeable. The only upgrade I'd like right now would be an A7RIV, but to use alongside the III.

To me, much of the reason for changing from an A7III is new-toy syndrome. No reason not to, but for many of us the difference in size, weight and AF performance will be un-noticeable. The only upgrade I'd like right now would be an A7RIV, but to use alongside the III.

I've got A7RIV and A7C. First time I have had two FF bodies at the same time (apart from my brief affair with RX1RII). I would never buy A7RIV and a MK3 body to use in tandem. Too bulky to fit both in the bag.

Though I was tempted by an A9 many times. But the size just kept me away from it.
If I could only have one body it'd still be A7RIV.

It's really great to use. Especially when I'm out and about with family. Really enjoying the size especially with my samyang 45mm/1.8

Size in the bag without an EVF hump would be nice. Better high ISO on occasion... I'd say the better AF but I don't really have much in the way of AF lenses to benefit from that.

Size in the bag without an EVF hump would be nice. Better high ISO on occasion... I'd say the better AF but I don't really have much in the way of AF lenses to benefit from that.

you also have UHS-II card slot which is nice. touchscreen for moving focus, can come in handy for moving focus point to zoom in on while manual focusing. there's also IBIS which can come in handy.
so it offers some nice things for MF shooters too. whether its worth the upgrade price is up to you to decide. it might be worth it after a year or so when the price drops.

The big thing for me with a more modern body would be speed of AF as my A7 is really too slow for social pictures indoors when my MFT cameras are still just about instantaneous. I can't see a FF camera matching that just about instantaneous AF speed as there's more glass to move about but maybe a new camera could be close enough to allow me to move away from MFT as indoor social use is just about the only time I use MFT now.

I think this was the last picture I took outside the house and garden. 28mm f2 at f5. Cold, miserable, complete cloud cover and dead flat light. I don't know why I bothered.

nXAZ2Oh.jpg

I was only there on Friday coming back from Newcastle then onto Whitby, weather was rubbish and I’ve a lot of editing to do!!

Anyone tried both the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 and the Tamron 28-75 f2.8.
I hadn't realised there was such a size and weight difference.
So now I can't decide between them, also that 4mm at the wide end sounds a fair bit as well.
I think of the sharpness and AF are the same I could give up the 4mm but if the Sigma is better then less so.

I've got A7RIV and A7C. First time I have had two FF bodies at the same time (apart from my brief affair with RX1RII). I would never buy A7RIV and a MK3 body to use in tandem. Too bulky to fit both in the bag.

Though I was tempted by an A9 many times. But the size just kept me away from it.
If I could only have one body it'd still be A7RIV.

I probably wouldn't carry both at the same time, but if I did then it would be with a prime each, rather than having a zoom.

I probably wouldn't carry both at the same time, but if I did then it would be with a prime each, rather than having a zoom.

That's the plan... Samyang 45 on A7C and 24GM or ART 85mm/1.4 on A7RIV. the GM and ART are plenty sharp to easily crop or use in APS-mode to give me up to 130mm reach.

The only zoom I guess I'd carry in some cases is the 12-24mm UWA.

I have always wanted a bigger lens i know they all do things differently but i just cant decide what to go for first

100-400
70-200 not too bothered as much
200-600

I have always wanted a bigger lens i know they all do things differently but i just cant decide what to go for first

100-400
200-600

Depends on it's use really I think..... Personally I wouldn't use 200-600mm. I might use 100-400mm if I lived in the lakes/Scotland etc For me >200mm is much more suitable.

100-400
200-600
If its for birds the 200/600

Rob.

Ordered a Peak Design Cuff wrist strap in the ash colour for £26.95. I've never put the Sony strap around my neck, I don't want to look like a tourist. I've just been carrying it in my hand. But there might be that one day where I drop it so want to avoid that!

Last edited:
Ordered a Peak Design Cuff in the ash colour for £26.95. I've never put the Sony strap around my neck, I don't want to look like a tourist. I've just been carrying it in my hand. But there might be that one day where I drop it so want to avoid that!

I like the cuff, don't like it so much for larger bodies but great for small ones.

I like the cuff, don't like it so much for larger bodies but great for small ones.

Yeah, I've got an Optech pro loop neck strap for my Canon 5D2 which is a great strap for that heavier body, very comfortable, but even so, I don't like wearing it because I look like a tourist. :D

The cuff should be perfect for the a6600 and I like that it has magnets and can detach easily from the body. If I'd thought about buying it a bit sooner I could have bought the spare one I noticed you just sold.

Yeah, I've got an Optech pro loop neck strap for my Canon 5D2 which is a great strap for that heavier body, very comfortable, but even so, I don't like wearing it because I look like a tourist. :D

The cuff should be perfect for the a6600 and I like that it has magnets and can detach easily from the body. If I'd thought about buying it a bit sooner I could have bought the spare one I noticed you just sold.
Definitely a good safety net for an A6xxx or 7C size body. And because of the attachment system easily interchangeable with my PD strap(s).

Definitely a good safety net for an A6xxx or 7C size body. And because of the attachment system easily interchangeable with my PD strap(s).

Yeah and I like that it automatically tightens around the wrist if I were to lose grip and let go of the camera.

Ordered a Peak Design Cuff wrist strap in the ash colour for £26.95. I've never put the Sony strap around my neck, I don't want to look like a tourist. I've just been carrying it in my hand. But there might be that one day where I drop it so want to avoid that!

I just received one of these and the normal strap on Saturday... Normal strap just over the shoulder though, never round the neck :D:D

I just received one of these and the normal strap on Saturday... Normal strap just over the shoulder though, never round the neck :D:D

Yes, over the shoulder is definitely a bit cooler. As opposed to this. :LOL:

o-AMERICAN-TOURISTS-facebook.jpg

OK, I know this is a Sony thread, and therefore would be a little "biased" towards the brand, but does anyone have 1st had experience of the AF performance differences between something like the New Sony A9 II with the 200-600 vs a Nikon D500 with the 200-500 ?

I know we are comparing FF to APS-C, but I'm more interested in if the A9 II is actually that much better than the best of the rest for BIF, tracking etc ?

OK, I know this is a Sony thread, and therefore would be a little "biased" towards the brand, but does anyone have 1st had experience of the AF performance differences between something like the New Sony A9 II with the 200-600 vs a Nikon D500 with the 200-500 ?

I know we are comparing FF to APS-C, but I'm more interested in if the A9 II is actually that much better than the best of the rest for BIF, tracking etc ?

@GyRob uses this combo for BiF

I guess my question is what are you missing in your current combination or what you hoping to gain from A9ii?

Back