The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I can see the appeal in the grip for portrait orientation shooting but if holding a non gripped camera in that orientation bothered me too much I could just shoot landscape and crop but I do understand that cropping takes time and perhaps a percentage of people using cameras like this (working professionals?) wont have time to crop.

These built in grip cameras are just too big for me to even contemplate and thankfully I don't need a camera like that to provide my income. Not that I have an income. I don't :D

Last edited:
I think the days of the old pro camera body style are gone for me not had one since the D4S and can't think of a reason why I would want one these days unless the camera had killer features that couldn't be found elsewhere. Maybe the sports pros would want one for those big heavy lenses.

they put those big lenses on a tripod or monopod. the body size and weight hardly makes a difference.
I believe the big bloated bodies were necessary once upon a time to get high frame rates on a DSLR. That's not the case anymore on mirrorless. So artificially bloating the body will probably end up alienating more people than it will sell. May be a few sport togs set in their old ways might buy it but they are not a large enough market like compared to the enthusiasts who will buy the smaller style body even if it costs more than their house :p

A gripped body will very probably contain more batteries but I'd rather have spares in my bag than have a large gripped camera.

A gripped body will very probably contain more batteries but I'd rather have spares in my bag than have a large gripped camera.

you can add a vertical grip if you want more juice. Though in case of Sony the Fz100 batteries lasts about twice as long as canikon equivalent batteries :p

you can add a vertical grip if you want more juice. Though in case of Sony the Fz100 batteries lasts about twice as long as canikon equivalent batteries :p

I haven't checked but I'd guess that an Ax with a grip will still be smaller than that Canon.

It’s bigger so it must be better ;)

I ordered on 1st April.
Taking the weekend and Easter Monday into consideration, I'm thinking they are 3 days behind.
Order my 200-600 from Panamoz on Sunday and it arrived on Friday :oops: :$
I would have ordered from Panamoz out of choice, but they don't list the A7R2.

What made you go for an A7R2?

Lack of joystick will be a killer when there is also no real time a.f.
Because I wanted one. I can move the focus point with the pad buttons if I want, but I normally focus then compose. Don’t need tracking. Anyway, most of my lenses are MF. I rarely shoot anything which moves faster than the continental shelf.

Since going back to 24mp I’ve been surprised by how much you can crop, it’s obviously helped by the quality of the lenses too (y)
Same, its about as much as i'd ever crop as well, so very happy. My feelings are that id happily have more MP but not at the expense of anything else such as AF or body size. Cost would be a factor as well, not sure id pay a huge amount more for more MP.

I ordered on 1st April.
Taking the weekend and Easter Monday into consideration, I'm thinking they are 3 days behind.
Order my 200-600 from Panamoz on Sunday and it arrived on Friday :oops: :$

What tracking have you had? I’ve had a RM number for about a week with no info on it.

Same as me. Makes me think it’s going somewhere else first and then forwarded.
I think E-Infin uses a depot in the Manchester area, as my parcel is currently at DPD Middleton. Normally items within the UK travel from the senders local depot, down to Hinkley, then on to your own local depot, in my case Morley near Leeds.

Hey guys, I need hard drive space as importing new raw files means I keep getting very low on my laptop's built in SSD, I'm down to 2.5GB at the moment. I often get photoshop saying scratch disk is full when it goes below about 6GB. I had no idea that there are such tiny portable hard drives these days. I'm thinking of getting this 2TB WD drive,

It's only about 4" x 3" which is brllliant and would sit nicely on the table next to the laptop. Do any of you use portable external drives? I think I'll stick with WD as they're usually the most reliable.

Hey guys, I need hard drive space as importing new raw files means I keep getting very low on my laptop's built in SSD, I'm down to 2.5GB at the moment. I often get photoshop saying scratch disk is full when it goes below about 6GB. I had no idea that there are such tiny portable hard drives these days. I'm thinking of getting this 2TB WD drive,

It's only about 4" x 3" which is brllliant and would sit nicely on the table next to the laptop. Do any of you use portable external drives? I think I'll stick with WD as they're usually the most reliable.
I use an external drive (backed up, of course) for all my image files, with the LR catalogue on the internal drive.

I use an external drive (backed up, of course) for all my image files, with the LR catalogue on the internal drive.

Ah right. Will my LR catalogue remain on my internal drive even if new raw files go to the external drive? Also, I have current raw files which were extracted from camera into dated/named folders on my internal drive and then I imported into lightroom. If I decide to move those folders to an external drive, will LR tell me 'file not found' if I go back to process or edit them?

I use portable HDD drives a lot, usually seagate and never had a problem. I use these now though, even smaller and more portable.

You shouldn't leave your hard drive to get so full, it needs space to 'breath' and move things about. Some people recommend having at least 25% of your hard drive free but I tend to try and keep it above 10% free (100GB).

Mines coming from Royal Mail so who knows

That is pretty normal for e-infin.

The tracking number they give is just a prepaid for Royal Mail. They use a courier to get it to Manchester then from there it gets sent by Royal Mail. Tracking won’t work until Royal Mail pick it up.

I bought that one late last year. Think it was about £70 at the time. Actually, November.... Might have been a black Friday deal or something....

I swapped the LR catalogue 'links' over manually. Wasn't difficult. Just Google it.

Ah right. Will my LR catalogue remain on my internal drive even if new raw files go to the external drive? Also, I have current raw files which were extracted from camera into dated/named folders on my internal drive and then I imported into lightroom. If I decide to move those folders to an external drive, will LR tell me 'file not found' if I go back to process or edit them?
You can put the catalogue and RAW files where ever you like. As long as Lightroom knows where to find them it’s ok. Once moved you will need to delink them but that’s pretty easy.

Best to keep the catalogue on the SSD and RAWS can go on a disc spinning hard drive.

Last edited:
I use portable HDD drives a lot, usually seagate and never had a problem. I use these now though, even smaller and more portable.

You shouldn't leave your hard drive to get so full, it needs space to 'breath' and move things about. Some people recommend having at least 25% of your hard drive free but I tend to try and keep it above 10% free (100GB).

Yeah, I noticed my laptop very slow today. Just rebooted and somehow it jumped back to 10GB from 2.5GB. I always try not to let the drive get below a certain amount so that windows can operate properly. That Sandisk looks uber nice and very dinky. But twice the price and half the disk space. I've got a Seagate drive on my desktop and it's fine but they've always had a bit of a rep for breaking down.So I usually go with Western Digital as they're renowned for the best reliability.

It’s best to move files and folders using Lightroom’s own file management. You tell LR where to keep your catalogue within Preferences. If you search for “Lightroom Queen” she has prepared a document explaining how to move files, etc.

Yeah, I noticed my laptop very slow today. Just rebooted and somehow it jumped back to 10GB from 2.5GB. I always try not to let the drive get below a certain amount so that windows can operate properly. That Sandisk looks uber nice and very dinky. But twice the price and half the disk space. I've got a Seagate drive on my desktop and it's fine but they've always had a bit of a rep for breaking down.So I usually go with Western Digital as they're renowned for the best reliability.
The Sandisk is SSD hence it being more expensive, it's therefore faster and (in theory) more reliable.

I bought that one late last year. Think it was about £70 at the time. Actually, November.... Might have been a black Friday deal or something....

I swapped the LR catalogue 'links' over manually. Wasn't difficult. Just Google it.

That's an awesome price you paid, Lee. That's the same drive I'm going for, only in 2TB instead of 5TB. Yep, I'm sure it'll be easy enough to swap the catalogue files, I'll research it.

You can put the catalogue and RAW files where ever you like. As long as Lightroom knows where to find them it’s ok. Once moved you will need to delink them but that’s pretty easy.

Best to keep the catalogue on the SSD and RAWS can go on a disc spinning hard drive.
Does it not slow the process down if lightroom is having to work on raws that are on a different/slower drive?

Nice, thanks. (y)

It’s best to move files and folders using Lightroom’s own file management. You tell LR where to keep your catalogue within Preferences. If you search for “Lightroom Queen” she has prepared a document explaining how to move files, etc.

Thanks Stephen, I've never as yet checked out LR file management. I'll look up Lightroom Queen.

The Sandisk is SSD hence it being more expensive, it's therefore faster and (in theory) more reliable.

Ah SSD. That would explain the price and yeah, no doubt very reliable.

@Merlin5 ^^^ Lightroom Queen. That's where I read about moving the files etc

Cheers, will look her up. I just checked pcworld/currys and they have the same hard drive I want for the same price as the rainforest and in stock to collect tomorrow, so that's good. Nice to see high street shops being able to match online prices.

Does it not slow the process down if lightroom is having to work on raws that are on a different/slower drive?
Not that I’m aware of. A friend of mine(who an programmer and semi pro photographer) tested it and found there was no difference having it that way. Lightroom does work on the RAW but a copy of it doesnt it?

Last edited:
Back