The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

A7 and Takumar 28mm at f3.5.

332BWdX.jpg

Stopped down.

AfN5DZ9.jpg

XspaZFJ.jpg

Last edited:
I've played with this for a while and now I've stopped.

zRiteuT.jpg

I'm happy enough. The weather wasn't good in fact it was poor for picture taking and I knew I wouldn't be taking any stunners but it didn't matter. I was outside with a camera and a lens and free to live in the moment.

Stop it !!!

I rarely shoot 50mm. BUT I have so much WANT for this lens..
Same here, I have bought and sold pretty much every 50mm lens on Sony because I just don't get along with that focal length. But the f1.2 is really tempting just to try it.
I'll probably get one when I can get a good deal on it. My GAS is currently preoccupied with buying something more insane (i.e. expensive)

It makes me feel a bit better about my 20mm f1.8 and the aperture marks not lining up. If that's what this is.

Untitled-1.jpg

Onestop digital are fine.

Any idea how long they normally take to deliver? I bought via paypal a week ago on Saturday 24th, money was taken later from my account on Wednesday 28th, and I've got no tracking. I've just emailed one digital to ask if they have any shipping updates.

How much was it before?

I've looked at these quite a few times but my Billingham does the job, I suppose.

Just had a look at their website and the Ryker doesn't seem to be there. There's nothing there I'd want to buy.

Last edited:
Had my first play of an ND filter yesterday. Quite fun though all the birds were crowding by me so had to distract them with stones (bread in their eyes) to the side :LOL:. One duck by the sign wasn't falling for that.

Last edited:
How much was it before?

I've looked at these quite a few times but my Billingham does the job, I suppose.

Just had a look at their website and the Ryker doesn't seem to be there. There's nothing there I'd want to buy.

I paid €348 so about £300 back in 2018. There is a new one on a store on eBay, probably the last one online.

Last edited:
I've always fancied a scooter or even a moped or any sort of two wheeled powered thing really. I've never had one though.

I couldn't go out today. This was my last picture last time I went out.

Ggo1X79.jpg

It rounds off the slide show of the days pictures :D

That is lovely Lee.

Thanks Alan. I must say, I do enjoy long exposure shots. Looking forward to getting my nd filter (maybe this week fingers crossed) for some daylight long exposures. :)

Bank Holiday thinking......

Actually, I've been thinking this for a while on & off but then the 35GM got announced & it wasn't night sky season...... so......

Sell the Samyang 24/1.4
Sell the Voigtlander 21/3.5

And, buy the Sony 20G.....??

I don't shoot wide very often. I often take the 21mm with me as it's so small & light - normally sunrise/sunset just incase I get a big 'wow' sky I want in the image. I don't take it woodland shooting though.

The Samyang is purely for night skies & it's perfectly fine for that at f/1.8-2 but being EF, on an adapter, it's a bit of a lump for the old A7.

The 20G obviously sits in between the two with regards to size & weight but has the light gathering/dof of the Samyang with IQ that will 'match' the CV21 - The thing is, that 21mm is a joy to use when I do use it......

But it has to be both or none. I'm not going to end up with the 20G & keep the CV21.

Actually, I've been thinking this for a while on & off but then the 35GM got announced & it wasn't night sky season...... so......

Sell the Samyang 24/1.4

I don't shoot wide very often. I often take the 21mm with me as it's so small & light - normally sunrise/sunset just incase I get a big 'wow' sky I want in the image. I don't take it woodland shooting though.

The Samyang is purely for night skies & it's perfectly fine for that at f/1.8-2 but being EF, on an adapter, it's a bit of a lump for the old A7.

The 20G obviously sits in between the two with regards to size & weight but has the light gathering/dof of the Samyang with IQ that will 'match' the CV21 - The thing is, that 21mm is a joy to use when I do use it......

But it has to be both or none. I'm not going to end up with the 20G & keep the CV21.

IQ is probably better than the voigtlander tbh.
Lucky for you I've got one in sales ;)

but regardless where you buy the lens from I'd definitely recommend going 20G over any other option because its simply that good.
in words of Roger Cicala:
"If you want a wide-aperture prime for your FE system, get this one. If you don’t want a wide-aperture prime for your FE system, heck, get it anyway. You might be missing out."

It's one of the bests out there. stop thinking and just get it :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Scoping out a shot for summer. Wellies don't really work and it was pretty chilly especially as my daughter's wellies got filled with water before I even took a shot. I need a model that can stand still for around 8 seconds.
_A7R9139 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Mrs WW often likes to jump... and then complain that her tummy is sticking out or her hair is messy. These things happen when you jump.

A7 and Sony 35mm f2.8.

AnKmPhA.jpg

Last edited:

Sell the Samyang 24/1.4

I bought the 20mm f1.8 because I used to like the focal length as a general use wide angle option and because one day I want to go on a cruise to see the northern lights but if pixel peeping image quality and performance into the corners at the widest apertures isn't crucial the much more compact and gorgeous to use Voigtlander looks to be a good option.

The 20mm f1.8 is a very good lens but so is the Voigtlander in other ways. You'll have to have a think.

IQ is probably better than the voigtlander tbh.
Lucky for you I've got one in sales ;)

but regardless where you buy the lens from I'd definitely recommend going 20G over any other option because its simply that good.
in words of Roger Cicala:
"If you want a wide-aperture prime for your FE system, get this one. If you don’t want a wide-aperture prime for your FE system, heck, get it anyway. You might be missing out."

It's one of the bests out there. stop thinking and just get it :ROFLMAO:

Yes. I know. I probably account for a quarter of the views it's had :ROFLMAO:

I bought the 20mm f1.8 because I used to like the focal length as a general use wide angle option and because one day I want to go on a cruise to see the northern lights but if pixel peeping image quality and performance into the corners at the widest apertures isn't crucial the much more compact and gorgeous to use Voigtlander looks to be a good option.

The 20mm f1.8 is a very good lens but so is the Voigtlander in other ways. You'll have to have a think.

Yes, what I've highlighted Alan! I have no issues at all with the CV21 - it is beautiful. And as I said, I am happy with the night sky images from the Samyang. I would like to consolidate both lenses into one though in a ideal world......

I'm not a gear buyer/collector as you all know. I'm more of a minimal gear person!

Yes. I know. I probably account for a quarter of the views it's had :ROFLMAO:

Yes, what I've highlighted Alan! I have no issues at all with the CV21 - it is beautiful. And as I said, I am happy with the night sky images from the Samyang. I would like to consolidate both lenses into one though in a ideal world......

I'm not a gear buyer/collector as you all know. I'm more of a minimal gear person!

I think the Sony 20mm f1.8 is a very good lens but it lacks are the old world metal build quality and handling of the Voigtlander. So. it maybe comes down to the technical excellence of a good modern AF lens which will allow consolidation of kit v the more involving process of using a nicely made old world type MF lens and having another lens to augment it.

Good luck choosing.

I am more of less the same but slightly less minimalistic than you. I prefer having two primes 35/85, a standard zoom (28-200mm) and an UWA prime/zoom (at the moment I have both 20G+17-28mm hence one has to go).

I think it makes sense for a minimalist to go with one lens over two especially when it is more capable than both in most ways. IMO one good lens is better than two average lenses (not that your lenses are average by any means but you are keeping two around when one could easily do both its job and more).

Last edited:
I'm tempted by the 24mm f2.8 G. It could make a nice compact pairing with the 35mm f2.8 or Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 or even the 50mm f2.5.

The distortion does look pretty epic. Would my A7 correct in camera? My CS5 will probably not get a lens profile so I'd have to make my own, no great issue maybe / hopefully.

I'm tempted by the 24mm f2.8 G. It could make a nice compact pairing with the 35mm f2.8 or Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 or even the 50mm f2.5.

The distortion does look pretty epic. Would my A7 correct in camera? My CS5 will probably not get a lens profile so I'd have to make my own, no great issue maybe / hopefully.

I don't know how things work in CS5 but with LR you can download adobe's lens profiles (they are free actually if you know where to find them) and add/copy them manually for LR to find them automatically.
have a read of this and see if something similar is possible for CS5

Last edited:
I am more of less the same but slightly less minimalistic than you. I prefer having two primes 35/85, a standard zoom (28-200mm) and an UWA prime/zoom (at the moment I have both 20G+17-28mm hence one has to go).

I think it makes sense for a minimalist to go with one lens over two especially when it is more capable than both in most ways. IMO one good lens is better than two average lenses (not that your lenses are average by any means but you are keeping two around when one could easily do both its job and more).

Yeah. I'm currently at....

CV21
Samyang 24/1.4
CV40/35GM
FE85
Contax 80-200/4 - there has to be a nickname for that zoom - Contax Carl Zeiss vario sonnar 80-200mm f/4 T*....... Phew......

I don't know how things work in CS5 but with LR you can download adobe's lens profiles (they are free actually if you know where to find them) and add/copy them manually for LR to find them automatically.
have a read of this and see if something similar is possible for CS5
Thanks. That could work for me. I'll have a look later.

Yeah. I'm currently at....

CV21
Samyang 24/1.4
CV40/35GM
FE85
Contax 80-200/4 - there has to be a nickname for that zoom - Contax Carl Zeiss vario sonnar 80-200mm f/4 T*....... Phew......

with no intention of spending you cash for you :ROFLMAO:
I'd switch to 20G, 35GM, FE85 and Tamron 70-180mm or 28-200mm depending on your priorities..

Quick question chaps. At night outside at locations I'll do a test shot and sometimes see what looks like water spots on the lens. So I'll clean the lens with a nice quality microfibre cloth that I got from the optician and which has never been used on my glasses. But I should probably wash it now. What's the best stuff to use? Handwash in luke warm or cold water with some fairy liquid, or my handwashing detergent? Apparently I need to use something that is free from bleach and fabric softener.

Quick question chaps. At night outside at locations I'll do a test shot and sometimes see what looks like water spots on the lens. So I'll clean the lens with a nice quality microfibre cloth that I got from the optician and which has never been used on my glasses. But I should probably wash it now. What's the best stuff to use? Handwash in luke warm or cold water with some fairy liquid, or my handwashing detergent? Apparently I need to use something that is free from bleach and fabric softener.

I would wash my car cleaning microfibres in a non bio liquid. I can't remember if that was to do with the actual cloth or something to do with the cleaning products now. As you can tell, I'm not as particular with the car anymore......

Back