The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Maybe yeah. I much prefer the Contax mounted on the adapter tripod mount landscape than on the L Bracket though in portrait orientation.
The thing with your contax or any adapted DSLR lens is that the adapter pushes the lens out to compensate for the flange distance and that makes it more front heavy. Lenses mounted directly on to the body has less of an issue.

Though if you are happy with 80-200mm there is no real need to go out and replace it in a hurry. But replacing your two UWAs with one better one makes sense to me.

Last edited:
The thing with your contax or any adapted DSLR lens is that the adapter pushes the lens out to compensate for the flange distance and that makes it more front heavy. Lenses mounted directly on to the body has less of an issue.

Though if you are happy with 80-200mm there is no real need to go out and replace it in a hurry. But replacing your two UWAs with one better one makes sense to me.

It is so light and small it doesn't need it imo. As long as you use an L bracket it isn't that much of an issue not having it

The adapter could be it as it is actually lighter than the Tamron.

This one was taken on 4th January. A7 and Sony 35mm f2.8. I don't think I've posted it before as it wasn't on imgur. Anyway. I'm in all day and bored and looking at pictures and decided I like it.

Walking the dogs.

ZOWHGC0.jpg

Last edited:
So tempted by it, rather than the Voigtlander 35 f1.2 SE. Would love to see those two compared quality wise. Obviously I'd lose some speed but I'd have AF.

I've not tried the Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 but if it's anything like the 40mm f1.2 I'd expect the Sony to be better towards the edges and into the corners.

Here you go. You can see the corner performance of the Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 in this review...

Sony 35mm f1.4 corner performance.

All that may not matter to me/you but I wouldn't advise anyone who likes to pixel peep into the corners to look at these f1.2 Voigtlanders.

Looks like the Voigtlander 35mm f2 APO is better than the Sony into the corners. It's f2 though.

Last edited:
I would wash my car cleaning microfibres in a non bio liquid. I can't remember if that was to do with the actual cloth or something to do with the cleaning products now. As you can tell, I'm not as particular with the car anymore......

:eek:

You should be using something like this

Don't waste your money on that.
Soap flakes, and spirit vinegar in the softener drawer.

Don't waste your money on that.
Soap flakes, and spirit vinegar in the softener drawer.

I dont buy any of my car cleaning stuff :) a good mate of mine owns a large car valeting business I get all my stuff of him as a freebie. Have thousands of pounds worth of stuff here from every brand you can think of. The manufacturers send him tons of stuff for free to get him to promote it and he always passes some of it on to me. Got a new pressure washer and a snow foam Lance of him the other week along with a load of stuff from some please called EZ carcare.

In return sometimes I will shoot some stuff for him for his social media accounts for free.

Last edited:

That's pretty good that you've linked Auto Finesse. Here's a link to Auto Finesse too ;)

How to wash them – cold water should be used, alongside a liquid detergent or wash. Never use powdered fabric washes as these particles will be absorbed by the cloths. Fabric softener is a no go, and (this probably goes without saying) no bleach

Forget it.

I had a problem but sorted it :D

Last edited:
Anyone been to Alaska? We rearranged our holiday from last year to the end of August this year and we're cautiously optimistic about it. Even if we have to push it back again I will need a long lens for the trip (longest I have at the moment is the 70-180). The 200-600 is the obvious choice, but if the 100-400 is long enough then it's more appealing due to the size and weight but would appreciate your opinions.

I'm being a tad premature here as I'm struggling a little to get used to the A9 after my Pentax K5 - with that I never, ever considered changing the focusing point from the centre and it feels as though there are too many options on the Sony!

Anyone been to Alaska? We rearranged our holiday from last year to the end of August this year and we're cautiously optimistic about it. Even if we have to push it back again I will need a long lens for the trip (longest I have at the moment is the 70-180). The 200-600 is the obvious choice, but if the 100-400 is long enough then it's more appealing due to the size and weight but would appreciate your opinions.

I'm being a tad premature here as I'm struggling a little to get used to the A9 after my Pentax K5 - with that I never, ever considered changing the focusing point from the centre and it feels as though there are too many options on the Sony!

Would love to go to Alaska... or anywhere :D

Good luck getting used to the kit.

Not Alaska but Nth Canada a year or so back- I personally would have used my 100-400 + a 1.4 Teleconverter giving you 560mm at the long end and with a decent crop make some nice images - thats said I have both nlenses and find myself not using the 100-400mm as much as I should, which is a shame - lovely lens

good luck in whatever you choose

Les :)

Ha ha - yes me too. Trying not to get excited about it at the moment!

I think I'd love it. I spent time in Kazakhstan in the winter and the -21 or so temperatures didn't seem to bother me too much. I don't know how cold it gets in Alaska but it'd be worth it. It's the heat I can't take.

Hope you enjoy and post your pictures :D

I get to go out for an hour or so today. It was pouring down earlier and although it's stopped now the sky is just a grey/white nothingness and the light there is is dead. I'll still take a camera though :D

My 3 lenses are samyang lenses. Wondering if I should get the samyang dock. Is that a waste of money?

When i was nikon the sigma dock was mandatory to use the prime but with sony there's no need to micro-adjust focusing.

with sony there's no need to micro-adjust focusing.

yet samyang dock actually lets you micro-adjust too... go figure...

but the firmware updates especially in case for certain samyang lenses does greatly improve their AF performance. if your lenses are already latest fw its probably not worth the money.

Watching a review on YouTube by Gerald Undone, it appears the Sigma 35/1.4 is not very good close up (under 70cm), not sharp at 1.4 and bad CA.

Half the price but not really live up to the Sigma Art quality that I expect.

Back