The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm really happy with just jpegs the results these days are very good ,I do shoot raw + jpeg just in case i mess up but I always check my settings so it's rare i will need a raw and just delete them .

Rob.

70-200 f2.8 has £300 cashback. It would be the equivalent of £1699 at camera world. Cameraworld are a bit cheeky and include the cashback in the advertised price but add it back on at checkout.

D’oh, was getting confused with the 24-105mm CB :facepalm:

I'm really happy with just jpegs the results these days are very good ,I do shoot raw + jpeg just in case i mess up but I always check my settings so it's rare i will need a raw and just delete them .

Rob.
Part of the fun for me is processing the raw files. :)

D’oh, was getting confused with the 24-105mm CB :facepalm:
The 24-105 and 70-200 f4 are very good at £200 each. Kind of tempted by the 70-200 f4 myself but I’ve got the 28-200 that can cover that range.
Am I right in thinking Sony limit the number of cashback deals you can ever do? Seem to remember someone saying it’s a maximum of 3.

If I were starting from scratch then I'd just go with On1 photoraw. Much more powerful than lightroom, and manages the image development just as well these days. No upscale tool as yet, but it can't be far away.

On1 is not an alternative to Lightroom it is an alternative to Photoshop and no where near as powerful.

Have yet to come across any real alternative for Lightroom since Apertures demise.

there really isn't anything like Lightroom available unfortunately. I have tried many times to move away from it as I greatly dislike subscriptions but there really isn't anything that works as well as LR in just about every area.

Capture one is quite good though. but its also expensive to keep updated.

On1 is not an alternative to Lightroom it is an alternative to Photoshop and no where near as powerful.

Have yet to come across any real alternative for Lightroom since Apertures demise.

It doesn't lack in the areas I would need: raw image processing, pixel level editing, DAM, upscaling for output. I presently use Lightroom 6 because it's what I'm most familiar with and I have a largish catalogue, but if I were starting from scratch then it's the one I'd likely choose. The presets are a bit of a smokescreen really, and everyone seems to think it's all about wacky tasteless effects, when underneath that is a decent and reasonably intuitive image processing and editing package.

Your usage is different, and it mght well not work for you.

This one was taken on 4th January. A7 and Sony 35mm f2.8. I don't think I've posted it before as it wasn't on imgur. Anyway. I'm in all day and bored and looking at pictures and decided I like it.

Walking the dogs.

ZOWHGC0.jpg

Shame the horizon a little off :) ie the sea is slopping up to the right slightly- apart from that a very nice shot fella

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
The 24-105 and 70-200 f4 are very good at £200 each. Kind of tempted by the 70-200 f4 myself but I’ve got the 28-200 that can cover that range.
Am I right in thinking Sony limit the number of cashback deals you can ever do? Seem to remember someone saying it’s a maximum of 3.
I don't know, not something I've seen before. Maybe be best to read the T's and C's?

It used to be that you could only claim a maximum of 3 times, they got a lot of bad feedback about that though so not sure if that still applies.

This is in the T's and C's. Doesn't say whether it's just for this promotion or forever. Surely it's just this promotion?

View attachment 317707
It definitely specified the "forever" part previously. If they have removed that part may be it's just for this offer which is not a terrible limitation tbh. Most people won't be buying same model more than twice or more than 5 items in couple months.

My 3 lenses are samyang lenses. Wondering if I should get the samyang dock. Is that a waste of money?

When i was nikon the sigma dock was mandatory to use the prime but with sony there's no need to micro-adjust focusing.
It's on offer at the moment on eBay with their 20% off

Rob.

I've never bothered with jpeg's since my Canon DSLR days and in those days IMO Canon jpeg's weren't very nice. Good to know they're better these days.

A7 and Takumar 50mm f1.4. I took just about the same shot a while back with my Nippon Kogaku 50mm f1.4 and looking at the two files the lighting made such a difference to the WB. Anyway. The lighting wasn't great and this has had more processing than I'd like but it looks ok on Mrs WW's screen.

voBracW.jpg

One nice thing about these old lenses is that for some pictures there's no need to deliberately focus, just set the dials, frame and take the picture :D

Last edited:
A7 and Takumar 50mm f1.4. I took just about the same shot a while back with my Nippon Kogaku 50mm f1.4 and looking at the tow files the lighting made such a difference to the WB. Anyway. The lighting wasn't great and this has had more processing than I'd like but it looks ok on Mrs WW's screen.

voBracW.jpg

One nice thing about these old lenses is that for some pictures there's no need to deliberately focus, just set the dials, frame and take the picture :D

I like the tones - nowt wrong with that shot :)

Les

I like the tones - nowt wrong with that shot :)

Les

Thank you but I don't like to do too much processing and take the picture too far from reality but the light wasn't great so it's a case of bin it (I have way too many pictures taken in dead light) or process the life out of it.

Thank you but I don't like to do too much processing and take the picture too far from reality but the light wasn't great so it's a case of bin it (I have way too many pictures taken in dead light) or process the life out of it.

I shoot mostly Wildlife and my recyle bin is always full :)

I seem to get a magenta tone in Lightroom (no filters) on my 24-105, a7R IV after applying a Profile (any profile seems to have this happen). See the images on the bottom with no profile applied vs the selected image with a profile applied. Any recommendations or suggestions? Is it something I'm doing?

PZyVy9G.png

ta.

I'm just reading a summary of "the best" raw processors as I'd forgotten the big names on the market. I see Rawtherapee is still going, I had that years ago.

If I move on from CS5 I think I'd prefer a one off payment package rather than a cloud based subscription.
Have you tried Capture One Express, free for Sony cameras I liked it. But prefer Lightroom, about £80 a year.

It definitely specified the "forever" part previously. If they have removed that part may be it's just for this offer which is not a terrible limitation tbh. Most people won't be buying same model more than twice or more than 5 items in couple months.
Yeah, not many genuine people will be buying that many multiples I don’t think. I’ve decided to hold off on the 24-105mm as I am still wanting a 70-200mm and think that’s more important than the 24-105mm. Even with the CB it’ll cost nearly £500 to trade my 24-70mm for the 24-105mm.

Have you tried Capture One Express, free for Sony cameras I liked it. But prefer Lightroom, about £80 a year.

I tried Lightroom and didn't like it one bit. I prefer what I see as the simplicity of CSx and I just put my pictures in folders as I see fit.

Capture 1 seems to be a package that's talked about a lot so it'll be near the top of the list of things to look at. When I get time, as despite being on here a lot in reality it's just moments grabbed in an otherwise quite busy life.

I seem to get a magenta tone in Lightroom (no filters) on my 24-105, a7R IV after applying a Profile (any profile seems to have this happen). See the images on the bottom with no profile applied vs the selected image with a profile applied. Any recommendations or suggestions? Is it something I'm doing?
You wouldn't have (video) picture profiles turned on with your photo settings by any chance.
They can cause quite subtle but strange shifts in the file colours.

PZyVy9G.png
Are you using Adobe profiles or Camera profiles? I always find Adobe profiles add magenta

Back