The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Orton effect is bit of an odd one.... I'm in two minds about it.
One picture where it worked incredibly well was when I was photographing my son when he was still a baby. With some careful processing I managed to keep his eyes sharp but got that "baby glow" with the orton effect.

But generally speaking I don't go after it, though I can see that it can work in some woodland shots.

shouldn't have spoken so soon, it has small specs of dust behind the rear element :(
Think I am going to return it for an exchange.

Ahhh, the risks and pitfalls of not using Panamoz.... lol :p

could have happened with any one, just that sending it back is quicker less painful and I'll have a replacement by Friday :p
plus all the warm fuzzy feeling that I have for paying my taxes, not breaking the law and supporting a nice UK store.

One more from yesterday.

Mrs WW didn't want this pictures as she's too far away... but you can always crop and I do like the whole picture.

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

1Qb9J1B.jpg

DDlYS6Y.jpg

:D

Reasonably random question guys, this seemed like as good a place as any to ask it.

A7Riv + 100-400GM, how wet can I get it?

I'm often putting it away when it's raining wondering if I could keep shooting for a little longer.

Appreciate it's not an easy thing to quantify in text!

Cheers.

Mes

Reasonably random question guys, this seemed like as good a place as any to ask it.

I'm often putting it away when it's raining wondering if I could keep shooting for a little longer.

Cheers.

Mes

I am slightly unsure about the 100-400mm as its an extending lens. non-extending lenses are fine but extending ones worry me a little even though they are weather sealed.

As for qualification.... here's A7C + A7RIV after a heavy snow shoot.
50871242027_55ae3bcfbb_b.jpg

worst comes to worst I have insurance too. for such expensive gear it might be prudent to get yourself some insurance.

Last edited:
Talking of Panamoz - their prices have rocketed!!
The new Sony 50mm G is actually more expensive than WEX

Aye I noticed in the past that lenses don't have as good discounts as the cameras. If they are now more expensive than UK sourced then other than extra warranty I can't see the point.

Aye I noticed in the past that lenses don't have as good discounts as the cameras. If they are now more expensive than UK sourced then other than extra warranty I can't see the point.

sony provides two year warranty within UK these days. I wouldn't go with panamoz for sake of one year extra warranty, who know what will happen in two years time... they might not even be around.

This is one of those shots where I was on my way home from Canary Wharf a few weeks ago with camera already packed away, but turned my head to the right and noticed a scene I thought was worth a photo.

Canary Wharf Docklands Light Railway
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Ha haa, thank you, that gives me a bit of an idea, it's certainly much wetter than I've let mine get so far!

A bit more bravery needed!

That wasn't the only time either. I've have shot in similarly bad conditions many times. Can't avoid it in the UK tbh.

But like I said I have insurance for worst case scenario.

Platypod... These seem to have been around for a while but I'd never heard of them...

Lots of reviews on youtube...

Who wants one? Maybe you've got one?

Cheers.

Mes

I use my A7 in the rain, maybe try and use some common sense and you'll possibly, fingers crossed, be fine.

I've never had weather resistant gear but using common sense have never had a weather related issue other than pictures being spoilt by snow or rain on the front of the lens.

Like this shot a lot. I love the sunlight through the carriages.

Thanks Stephen. Yeah, that's my favourite part of the photo, and can even see silhouettes of passengers at one set of doors.

Generally if it rains the light has gone so have I to be honest I have never had a wet lens or camera it's not that I'm worried about it i just like good light .

Rob.

I use my A7 in the rain, maybe try and use some common sense and you'll possibly, fingers crossed, be fine.

I've never had weather resistant gear but using common sense have never had a weather related issue other than pictures being spoilt by snow or rain on the front of the lens.

Thanks Alan.

The common sense bit might be the issue here...

:)

Take home is that it seems I can definitely be a bit more relaxed in the rain,

Thanks Alan.

The common sense bit might be the issue here...

Take home is that it seems I can definitely be a bit more relaxed in the rain,

the main thing is to not let water stick around on your camera or lens too long. in the rain water is somewhat "flowing" but make sure you wipe it as soon as you get under covers.

Generally if it rains the light has gone so have I to be honest I have never had a wet lens or camera it's not that I'm worried about it i just like good light .

Rob.
I quite like photographing wildlife in the pouring rain. It give another dimension to a subject when they are covered in water and you slow the shutter speed to accentuate the rain.

I only ever do it whilst using some form of rain cover. Thinktank do an emergency rain cover which is a cheaper version of their full rain cover (it’s a cut down version but made of similar materials/construction for around 1/4 of the price)

Last edited:
the main thing is to not let water stick around on your camera or lens too long. in the rain water is somewhat "flowing" but make sure you wipe it as soon as you get under covers.

Thank you mate. I can sort of shield it with my bag when putting it away so will have a chance to give it a good wipe down.

Handheld only Rob, it's all wildlife.

I have a modified plastic bag for the tripod if I'm shooting landscapes, it's always served me well. But with landscapes, I'd definitely be less likely to be out in inclement weather!
It’s still possible to use hand held but does make more sense using a tripod as it means its easier to keep the camera/lens horizontal/pointing downwards to keep the rain off the front element. I think they photograph it on the tripod as it’s just easier to see it on the camera.

There’s a big clear panel on the back of the cover to look through. One hand can go inside and the draw string can be closed around the wrist, the other hand holds the lens from the outside or from the inside if its large enough (depends on model). Admit it’s harder to turn the zoom on a 100-400 as its an extending design but it’s not impossible. I’ve only expect photographed wildlife in the rain. I’ve been caught out whilst doing landscapes and used it but I’d not go out specifically to photograph landscapes in the rain.

This YouTube video at 3:00 shows how it can be handheld.

View: https://youtu.be/yHU9XKL94NM

Last edited:
Just having buyer's remorse after ordering a 24-105mm f4 for £553.97. All sold now, unfortunately. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-FE-...-/133778153597?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Gosh that not far of half price!
You may as well try to get the cashback too, that would be another £200 off. Don't know what is the rule but if it's new, unregister and bought from UK supplier it might work?

No need to have remorse, you can just stick it on ebay and you'll probably sell it for 250£ more that you just payed.

Last edited:
Gosh that not far of half price!
You may as well try to get the cashback too, that would be another £200 off. Don't know what is the rule but if it's new, unregister and bought from UK supplier it might work?
Been reading this which suggests they are likely to refuse https://community.sony.ch/t5/camcorders/summer-cashback-rejected/td-p/3687879 but definitely worth 5 minutes effort for the chance at £200. Cheapest after cashback elsewhere is £699.10 which was quite tempting in itself https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sony-fe-24-105mm-f4-g-oss-lens-3736084

Cheers.

Mes
The answer is no-one knows as manufacturers won't say. Mine's got pretty wet in the past and I've not been concerned, although if I know there's a chance it might rain I take a couple of pieces of kitchen roll with me to wipe the moisture off the extending part of the barrel before retracting and then dry it all off before I put if away.
Just having buyer's remorse after ordering a 24-105mm f4 for £553.97. All sold now, unfortunately. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-FE-...-/133778153597?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286
I wish I'd seen that :eek:

Just in case anyone missed it... The rumor guy reported yesterday that the latest version of Nik filters is out, 4. He reports initial discounts but I don't know if that applies to the UK.

I'm still on the free ones.

Back