The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm just a bit worried that I seem to have finished buying film era lenses and might move on to AF ones. Buying old lenses is/was a cheap hobby, AF ones, not so much :D

I've been through cars and have mostly finished but I might by a LR type 4x4 as that's one thing I've never had.

Life is too short to worry what you spend your cash on you can’t take it with you is the way I look at it more so since my Dad passed away. My Dad always wanted to buy a camper van he never did because he knew he wouldn’t get the use out of it really. He had the money sitting there for at least a a few years debating if he should buy one or not but never did.

it’s funny really last year was tough in terms of cash coming in with not being able to work properly for such a long time but we hardly spent anything due to all of our holidays being cancelled etc. So ended up with a surplus of spare cash. I don’t need the 50GM but have always wanted a 50 f/1.2 I am surprised I was able to hold of the temptation for getting one for so long. I always said I would wait until July when we have 15 weddings as I knew I would get good use out of it then, but gave in a little early.

I wouldn’t mind a big LR 4X4 but could t justify it really as I wouldn’t use other than for the dogs. We have a big Passat estate that we use for the dogs but it never gets used other than for that.

Life is too short to worry what you spend your cash on you can’t take it with you is the way I look at it more so since my Dad passed away.
Too true. And I learned that again after recovering from cancer recently. Puts things into perspective.

A while back I fell out with one of my sisters over looking after our mother (she wouldn't help) and yesterday I came very close to falling out with my other sister over the same issue. So, as me and Mrs WW have no children we're running out of peeps we'd like to leave our stuff to. So... may as well spend it :D

If we could all stop talking about new gear that would be awesome.

Im tempted to get a a7siii/fx3 and give this video stuff a go. Still also want the 35GM but I haven’t used my current 35 at all since I got the 24GM.

I am in a bit of a quandary now that I have the 50GM on its way. I was planning to switch to using 24/50 but I really love that 35GM it’s so damn good.

At the moment I shoot 35/85 and my missus shoots 24/55. Seems a shame to let her have the 35GM but at the same time 35/50 won’t work for me and damn sure I am not letting her have the 50 :ROFLMAO:

Have never able to get into video found it very tedious especially the editing.

Last edited:
Here's a question for you all,

I shoot mostly Wildlife and own a Sony a7Riii (42mp) and Sony a7Riv (61mp) - Im thinking of selling or P-ex the a7Riii and buying a different body

my question is buy anther a7Riv or maybe an a9 - thoughts on which is a better body, for Wildlife images please fellow Sony shooters :)

Thanks in advance

Les :)
Depends what wildlife you shoot (mostly still, fast moving etc) and how far away it tends to be?

I had the A7RIV for the cropability for wildlife but I found AF wasn't up to it when I wanted to take photos of my dog running (and my computer struggled with processing the high mp files) so I swapped to the A9-II as I wouldn't say wildlife is my primary genre. I bought the 1.4x tc for the times I wanted the extra reach I was lacking from not having 61mp but tbh I haven't bothered using it as I've found the A9-II stands up well to cropping heavily (of course that will depends on the lens you're using). The blackout free shooting does make it easier for tracking too.

If you don't swap lenses regularly when out I'd also suggest the A1 over an A9 + A7RIV. I'm sure there will be something but at present I can't think of a reason why you'd ever want another camera after buying the A1. Are you ever going to genuinely need more than 51mp, 30fps and the AF system it has?

I am in a bit of a quandary now that I have the 50GM on its way. I was planning to switch to using 24/50 but I really love that 35GM it’s so damn good.

At the moment I shoot 35/85 and my missus shoots 24/55. Seems a shame to let her have the 35GM but at the same time 35/50 won’t work for me and damn sure I am not letting her have the 50 :ROFLMAO:

I do like 24/50 too.

Im currently 24/85 which seems to be working ok for me. One of my good mates is a very good wedding videographer and I’m going to do some shoot only work for him this summer.

I do like 24/50 too.
Funny how people have their own ranges they like, my favourite is 35mm, closely followed by 20mm, I've tried 50mm but when i approach a photo with it, it doesn't render it how i imagine it if you know what i mean. I just see in wide angle it seems. I don't mind 50mm for portraits but longer than that i only really use if i cant move closer.

Funny how people have their own ranges they like, my favourite is 35mm, closely followed by 20mm, I've tried 50mm but when i approach a photo with it, it doesn't render it how i imagine it if you know what i mean. I just see in wide angle it seems. I don't mind 50mm for portraits but longer than that i only really use if i cant move closer.
I've found that 45mm is just wider-enough than 50mm to make a difference. But my favourite is 24mm.

Im currently 24/85 which seems to be working ok for me. One of my good mates is a very good wedding videographer and I’m going to do some shoot only work for him this summer.

Shooting video is easy so that won’t be so bad it’s the editing that I found I didn’t enjoy at all. 35mm f/1.8 seems very popular with the video guys as there is no focus breathing.

I think it’s just a personal preference thing and how you see images in your mind.

When I shot Nikon I switched from 35/85 too 24/50 at one point as well and I still think that was some of my best work. I ended up going back to 35/85 with Sony mainly because my missus just loved the little 55.

Why am i only just finding out about these lenses.

Tamron 16-70mm f/4.0
Tamron 20-72mm f/4.0

I think the 20-72 would be just about my perfect lens for taking on holiday, i always wanted wider than a 24-70. Fingers crossed their decent.

Last edited:
Why am i only just finding out about these lenses.

Tamron 16-70mm f/4.0
Tamron 20-72mm f/4.0

I think the 20-72 would be just about my perfect lens for taking on holiday, i always wanted wider than a 24-70. Fingers crossed their decent.
Never seen these. Are they just APS-C?

Where did you get yours from?

Actually ended up getting it from Park Cameras, I was in process of ordering from Panamoz and Park said I could get within a couple of weeks so changed to that as timing was going to be no different. It actually ended up being much quicker!!

It's a 5xxxx serial and seems fine although only used for 2 minutes.

I really hope they do and arent just random patents. They would do me for 99% of my daytime holiday photography, even more so if they're reasonably compact. 20-72f4 and a 35f1.2 would be ideal for me.

Couple of shots from a recent trip out. All shot with the 20mmf1.,8 its becoming a firm favourite.

This one especially would have been impossible with my previous camera.
DSC00423.jpg

DSC00438.jpg

DSC00434-Enhanced.jpg

DSC00437.jpg

Absolutely glorious day out, little guy did so well, loads of walking. Loved playing in the sand.

Last edited:
One last scene from yesterday.

A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8.

OoDCAkm.jpg

The row boats were bedlam, people crashing into each other or narrowly avoiding it and one lady shouting at her BF for standing up and rocking the boat. I hope she dumped him :D

As I mentioned boats, one last last one with a boat and a castle in it, and a bloke staring at me.

OgY6CGW.jpg

Last edited:
Shooting video is easy so that won’t be so bad it’s the editing that I found I didn’t enjoy at all. 35mm f/1.8 seems very popular with the video guys as there is no focus breathing.

I think I’ll get a 24/28-70 zoom for video to start with. With these jobs it’s shoot and drop off the cards on the way home. If I was to start doing more id only want to do one a month alongside what I’m currently doing.

There is a culture in this thread of some people purposely going out of their way to stir it up. I have a fair idea of why.

In some cases this has been a joint effort with a few. Another user told me some time ago that some people on here went as far as collaborating via the messaging system to share ways of winding certain people up with a view to pushing them into a reaction which results in them being removed from the forum. It’s all rather sad and pathetic.

Who can be bothered with that, one click on ignore and it’s not a problem any more.

At risk of getting drawn in, which I really don't want to do, when I read this it made me cringe:

My wife’s cousin is a professional wildlife photographer he carries a 600mm prime, a 200-600, 70-200 and a macro lens and 3 bodies wherever he goes. Might be different fior amateurs I guess.

I'll take it at face value, that it wasn't intended to put down the amateur users, but it was very easy to read that way. Not trying to take a pop at you at all, but sometimes an explanation can help understand why attacks apparently come out of the blue.

Regarding coordinated attacks on individuals, pretty sure it doesn't happen in this thread, but it would not surprise me one bit if a couple of people who really *should* know and do better sometimes work to pull down the odd member they don't like.

At risk of getting drawn in, which I really don't want to do, when I read this it made me cringe:

I'll take it at face value, that it wasn't intended to put down the amateur users, but it was very easy to read that way. Not trying to take a pop at you at all, but sometimes an explanation can help understand why attacks apparently come out of the blue.

Regarding coordinated attacks on individuals, pretty sure it doesn't happen in this thread, but it would not surprise me one bit if a couple of people who really *should* know and do better sometimes work to pull down the odd member they don't like.

It wasn’t intended to put down anyone at all.

As for the above it does happen in this thread well it did anyway. A long time back I was sent some screenshots.

Les can speak for himself.

But generally speaking A1 maximises both the potential of having your subject in focus and give plenty room to crop if needed. Neither A9 or A7RIV does that for wildlife. I personally rather maximise on that benefit for wildlife and get really good shots with the single lens I have on the body than worry about potential lens changes.

:plus1:
My wife’s cousin is a professional wildlife photographer he carries a 600mm prime, a 200-600, 70-200 and a macro lens and 3 bodies wherever he goes. Might be different fior amateurs I guess.

Ok - for transparency- I already own an a7Riv and an a7Riii - I wish to sell the a7Riii and buy another 2nd body

I use mainly 4 lenses whilst out and about FE 200-600mm , 70-200mm f2.8 - 90mm f2.8 macro and 100-400mm with a 1.4TC depending on what I intend to photograph

I use the 2 bodies with the 200-600mm and the 90mm macro - so changing lenses does not happen often unless I need a 70-200mm f2.8 / 100-400mm for butter flies and the like - I love the a7Riv the a7riii is great but, not up to the performance of the a7Riv ( not wishing to start a debate into why- It just suits me better - so pleae l;ets not let this go like many threads on here

My question is do I go for an a9 or another a7Riv? - I cannot justify the cost of a Sony A1 unless I sold both bodies which I do not want to do

My Sony a7Riii will be up on the sales thread later today or tomorrow with images etc - I have had this camera just over a year bought new from LCE and it has a shutter count of a mere 11,957 which is nothing really- its immaculate having a screen protector on since new - comes with a none sony grip and 2 batteries but I lost the box whilst moving house last year

Question is what should I price this at??? I have quotes from LCE- Park Camera's and MPB - but I would rather a fellow member have this camera + Grip

8p6uWwQ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is do I go for an a9 or another a7Riv? - I cannot justify the cost of a Sony A1 unless I sold both bodies which I do not want to do

Question is what should I price this at??? I have quotes from LCE- Park Camera's and MPB - but I would rather a fellow member have this camera + Grip

I'd suggest go with the A9 or even the A9ii if you can afford one.
RE A1: I just mentioned what I'd do personally especially since you mention concern of not having enough pixels on A9.

for camera+grip I'd say start pricing at £1500 on this forum. Camera bodies seem to sell close to MPB tradein prices on here.

Ok - for transparency- I already own an a7Riv and an a7Riii - I wish to sell the a7Riii and buy another 2nd body

I use mainly 4 lenses whilst out and about FE 200-600mm , 70-200mm f2.8 - 90mm f2.8 macro and 100-400mm with a 1.4TC depending on what I intend to photograph

I use the 2 bodies with the 200-600mm and the 90mm macro - so changing lenses does not happen often unless I need a 70-200mm f2.8 / 100-400mm for butter flies and the like - I love the a7Riv the a7riii is great but, not up to the performance of the a7Riv ( not wishing to start a debate into why- It just suits me better - so pleae l;ets not let this go like many threads on here

My Sony a7Riii will be up on the sales thread later today or tomorrow with images etc - I have had this camera just over a year bought new from LCE and it has a shutter count of a mere 11,957 which is nothing really- its immaculate having a screen protector on since new - comes with a none sony grip and 2 batteries but I lost the box whilst moving house last year

8p6uWwQ.jpg

I have never been disappointed in my A9's but my use would differ greatly from yours.

If you decide to go with the A9 maybe you would be better of keeping the grip as its the same one.

The only thing I would say is that you might find the a.f of the A7RIV frustrating after using the A9, I did when I had mine, there would also be an argument for saying that if you are happy with the A7RIV you have another one of those might be a better option for you.

Tough call to make better image quality or better a.f.

Not sure how much a little used A7R3 goes for these days.

As Nandbytes mentions the A9II above, all I would say on that is that for my use I can see no real world difference in them and I regret getting the A9II as I could have just saved myself some cash and got another A9. Other than the ergonomics being a bit nicer for me they perform exactly the same. Yes there are small differences like the A9II have the dual UHS-II slots but I can't separate them in terms of performance.

Last edited:
I have never been disappointed in my A9's but my use would differ greatly from yours.

If you decide to go with the A9 maybe you would be better of keeping the grip as its the same one.

The only thing I would say is that you might find the a.f of the A7RIV frustrating after using the A9, I did when I had mine, there would also be an argument for saying that if you are happy with the A7RIV you have another one of those might be a better option for you.

Tough call to make better image quality or better a.f.

Not sure how much a little used A7R3 goes for these days.

As Nandbytes mentions the A9II above, all I would say on that is that for my use I can see no real world difference in them and I regret getting the A9II as I could have just saved myself some cash and got another A9. Other than the ergonomics being a bit nicer for they perform exactly the same for me. Yes there are small differences like the A9II have the dual UHS-II slots but I can't separate them in terms of performance.

Thank you Tommy- I will look at the a9

MPB are selling used Sony a 7Riii in good condition ( mine is as new and it has a grip + 2 batteries ) and MPB's have a lot higher shutter count for £1,669 for good condition model
up to £1,949 for as new

here: https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...d-sony-mirrorless-cameras/sony-alpha-a7r-iii/

Thank you Tommy- I will look at the a9

MPB are selling used Sony a 7Riii in as new condition ( mine is too) and a lot higher shutter counts for £1,669 for good condition model up to £1,949 for as new

here: https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...d-sony-mirrorless-cameras/sony-alpha-a7r-iii/

When selling on here in most cases you are not competing with U.K suppliers you are competing with the grey import places. A brand new A7RIII is about £1600 grey import and thats for the new A version with the upgraded LCD. I think on here you would probably be looking at around £1300-1400 maybe I did see one for sale in a local Facebook group here a couple of weeks back for £1300 asking price and it seemed to sit around for a long time it had a 15k shutter count. I only noticed it as I was considering it for my daughter, but she wants an A7SIII.

Last edited:
you can get a new for £1899 with the current Sony cashback offer.

I accept that MPB used prices as somewhat of a mystery to me :) - I woud be looking at around £1350 posted for the Sony a7Riii one sony battery and the charger - given the low shutter count and condition

I'll keep the gip if I go the a9 route although I am drawn to another a7RIV

My 50GM is on the move and will hopefully be here on Monday.

This is the first time I have been really excited about getting a new lens for years. Everything else other than the 200-600 I got to help with lockdown boredom that I have bought over the last couple of years has been simply because I needed it for work.

Have been wanting a 50 f/1.2 since I knew they existed. Debated switching to Canon quite a few times over the years just so I could get one.

35GM and the 50GM probably completes everything I want and need for Sony.

Would maybe take a tilt shift and a proper fish eye if they ever become available.

Last edited:
My 50GM is on the move and will hopefully be here on Monday.

This is the first time I have been really excited about getting a new lens for years. Everything else other than the 200-600 I got to help with lockdown boredom that I have bought over the last couple of years has been simply because I needed it for work.

Have been wanting a 50 f/1.2 since I knew they existed. Debated switching to Canon quite a few times over the years just so I could get one.

35GM and the 50GM probably completes everything I want and need for Sony.

Would maybe take a tilt shift and a proper fish eye if they ever become available.

I can really see the attraction of the 35mm f1.4 and 50mm f1.2 and I'd love a tilt shift if I had the time to use it but one thing I've never really fancied is a fish eye as I think I'd take two pictures with it and not be happy with either :D Do you think you'd use one a lot and what for?

Back