The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Well I've just learnt a couple of cool new things about my a6600. Button C4 is my delete button with the dustbin icon, and I only just realised I can assign a function to it without it losing it's functionality as a delete button when a photo is displayed on the lcd screen. So I've assigned auto exposure lock 'toggle' to C4. And I've been meaning to learn how to set up memory recall to both 1 and 2 on the top mode dial. Done that now, and easier than I thought. I set AF-C, steadyshot off, 1/2500 shutter speed and real time tracking to memory 1 for wildlife or anything fast moving, and 1/500 shutter speed, steadyshot on, AF-C with a wider aperture and regular non tracking focus area to memory 2 for freezing moderate speed of motion like people, and I'll just use regular Manual mode which is what I'm used to for AF-S and slower shutter speeds.

Do many of you use the memory recalls? I can't really imagine switching between memories and taking photos straight away without still tweaking one or two things, given that each shooting situation will be different, particularly in terms of available light? I'm also thinking of any interesting functions to replace the default functions on a couple of other C buttons. I don't really use them as I normally access those ( AF-S, AF-C, etc and Focus Areas) via the Fn button which I mostly use. The only C button default function worth keeping the same is the one that switches between human and animal eye.

Last edited:
Noticed a bit of wibble wobble in the foot on my 200-600 yesterday. Forgot all about it. Noticed it again on my walk this morning.

Got back, checked it, all 4 tiny screws on the plate had worked themselves a little loose (between 1 and 3 turns to tighten again). They're captive by the foot so wouldn't come any more loose, but the wobble could put some strain on the screws and snap them. There's a thread (no pun) on Fredmiranda discussing a similar issue (https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1643023/0). Just posting a) so I can check when I tightened them and b) in case anyone else wants to check theirs.

Thanks both. I just bought it direct from the Move Shoot Move website. It is available from other places too though I think.

Okay, do tell....i know it must sync to the phone, so I guess there is an app and you just follow the app to set position, tracking and even timer?

Which kit did you go for?

Last edited:
Noticed a bit of wibble wobble in the foot on my 200-600 yesterday. Forgot all about it. Noticed it again on my walk this morning.

Got back, checked it, all 4 tiny screws on the plate had worked themselves a little loose (between 1 and 3 turns to tighten again). They're captive by the foot so wouldn't come any more loose, but the wobble could put some strain on the screws and snap them. There's a thread (no pun) on Fredmiranda discussing a similar issue (https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1643023/0). Just posting a) so I can check when I tightened them and b) in case anyone else wants to check theirs.

I don't use the original foot. I think most people on here have bought the Arca Swiss foot I recommended
something like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293978259837
(there are some on amazon too)

they are excellent quality and work very well.
you could even buy more than 3 at 15% discount and sell it locally and become their UK distribution :ROFLMAO:

I don't use the original foot. I think most people on here have bought the Arca Swiss foot I recommended
something like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293978259837

they are excellent quality and work very well.
you could even buy more than 3 at 15% discount and sell it locally and become their UK distribution :ROFLMAO:
It wasn't the foot wobbling (well, it was), but the screws in the base plate had come loose.

It wasn't the foot wobbling (well, it was), but the screws in the base plate had come loose.
I understand but the replacement foot has few advantages over the Sony original:
1. its Arca Swiss compatible, so you don't need use a tripod plate
2. its longer so makes it really nice to hold the lens(+camera) by the foot. Also you can use while handholding to stabilise the lens better since it'll rest on your palms
3. it has holes to stick peak design anchors if you wish to sling it across your shoulder like I do for carrying it on a long days shoot.
4. keep your original foot away nice and safe. if and when you come to resell your lens it'll be mint.

Last edited:
Do many of you use the memory recalls? I can't really imagine switching between memories and taking photos straight away without still tweaking one or two things, given that each shooting situation will be different, particularly in terms of available light? I'm also thinking of any interesting functions to replace the default functions on a couple of other C buttons. I don't really use them as I normally access those ( AF-S, AF-C, etc and Focus Areas) via the Fn button which I mostly use. The only C button default function worth keeping the same is the one that switches between human and animal eye.

Yes. I do :D

I normally use aperture priority and switch to manual when the shutter speed drops too low both with one focus point but for people pictures I have two memories saved, one aperture priority set to f2.8 and the other manual mode with f2.8 and 1/160 both with face detect and wide are focus.

I understand but the replacement foot has few advantages over the Sony original:
1. its Arca Swiss compatible, so you don't need use a tripod plate
2. its longer so makes it really nice to hold the lens(+camera) by the foot. Also you can use while handholding to stabilise the lens better since it'll rest on your palms
3. it has holes to stick peak design anchors if you wish to sling it across your shoulder like I do for carrying it on a long days shoot.

I have a replacement foot (I have two of them as wanted to compare... they're identical, different brands). Doesn't stop the screws shearing.

I do wish the lens had a "loop" closer to the wide end rather than both near the body to allow a more balanced carry (mount one anchor near body and one at other end of the lens). But hey.

Can you use a bit of threadlock to stop it happening again?

I have a replacement foot (I have two of them as wanted to compare... they're identical, different brands). Doesn't stop the screws shearing.

I do wish the lens had a "loop" closer to the wide end rather than both near the body to allow a more balanced carry (mount one anchor near body and one at other end of the lens). But hey.
ah right apologies. I thought the screws were on the foot than the foot collar.

Okay, do tell....i know it must sync to the phone, so I guess there is an app and you just follow the app to set position, tracking and even timer?

Which kit did you go for?

The basic B kit.

No syncing. No app. Nothing.

You polar align the unit to Polaris with the laser or polar scope and switch it on. Obviously you switch it off to shoot the foreground. I use an intervelometer so sit back and drink a brew or have a chat for ten minutes - sometimes to myself!

Excellent image. Can you give a few details about the exposures such as numbers of lights, darks and timings etc.?

I took 6 images for sky and 6 higher iso for the foreground.

f/2, 75 seconds, iso 400/1250

I would typically shoot 13/15 seconds and iso 1250 without a tracker for the sky.

I took 6 images for sky and 6 higher iso for the foreground.

f/2, 75 seconds, iso 400/1250

I would typically shoot 13/15 seconds and iso 1250 without a tracker for the sky.
Thanks for the details Lee. I originally tried to by a Moveshootmove a few weeks ago but they were a bit to vague on the delivery. In the end I bought an Ioptron SkyTracker Pro which is excellent but I'm now thinking of selling it to get something I can use a much heavier lens/telescope with.

I hope you took that with a long lens. It's the sort of thing that could lead to you getting chased down the street here and I don't mean for a kiss :D
I was shooting Talacre Lighthouse a few years back. The light was gorgeous but there was a family standing on the steps. I took a good few shots waiting for them to move each time so I could merge shots later for a clean image. As I had images of the family looking happy I approached them and asked if they would like me to email them a copy as a reminder of their holiday. The boy looked pretty unhappy and said I should delete the images as he was having an affair and this was his other family. That taught me for trying to be open, honest and generous.

Thanks for the details Lee. I originally tried to by a Moveshootmove a few weeks ago but they were a bit to vague on the delivery. In the end I bought an Ioptron SkyTracker Pro which is excellent but I'm now thinking of selling it to get something I can use a much heavier lens/telescope with.

Mine took about 7-8 days delivery I think. My boy ordered his a day later and turned up the same day as mine.

My first shot with the new-to-me 28-60 compact "kit" lens. If you can get over the limited aperture, it's not bad. Very sharp, and very convenient. Makes the A7C plus this lens coat-pocketable.

Bridge over Tems Beck by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

ok I have recently been trying out the Sony FDR-AX53 camcorder just taking stills. To be quite honest for me this is a one size does all . Lighter weight than the Nikon DSLR's longer video time and fits into pocket. So this I guess will be my main camera from now on. Hand held no editing either

DSC00050.JPG

Last edited:
Good man. Hopefully mine will be here for the weekend.

Mine has just been shipped they are quoting a much longer shipping time than normal so not sure when it will arrive. To be fair they did the same when I ordered the 35GM and it arrived pretty quickly.

Mine has just been shipped they are quoting a much longer shipping time than normal so not sure when it will arrive. To be fair they did the same when I ordered the 35GM and it arrived pretty quickly.

Mine shipped Monday. Expect to get it on Friday

Im still umming and ahing over the Batis 40, yes it has issues with the aperture when close focusing, and AF isn't great in the dark at close distances but I like the focal length, and I love Batis colours. I have seen so many people online slate the AF of the a7r2 as slow and unreliable, but to me, Ive never had a problem with it. However I have never used any camera above the a7r2, I bet if I bought the a7r3, I would get out my pitchfork and join the online crowd :)
Im also tempted by the Batis 85 or 135, it was the 85 until I saw the thread for the 135 over on FM forums, there are some lovely images in there.

Just for fun - here is Kai with his a7r2 review

(33) Sony a7R II Hands-on Review - YouTube

It just goes to show how quickly we forget or move onto better things like the a7r3....

Last edited:
Im still umming and ahing over the Batis 40, yes it has issues with the aperture when close focusing, and AF isn't great in the dark at close distances but I like the focal length, and I love Batis colours. I have seen so many people online slate the AF of the a7r2 as slow and unreliable, but to me, Ive never had a problem with it. However I have never used any camera above the a7r2, I bet if I bought the a7r3, I would get out my pitchfork and join the online crowd :)
Im also tempted by the Batis 85 or 135, it was the 85 until I saw the thread for the 135 over on FM forums, there are some lovely images in there.

It just goes to show how quickly we forget or move onto better things like the a7r3....

I find batis lenses are a bit bloated or bigger than necessary.
you should consider the other lenses in a similar range like new Sony 40mm f2.5 or samyang 45mm f1.8 or sigma 45mm f2.8 etc.

I'm still using the a7, thought about getting the a7ii for the Image Stabilization but I'd prefer better glass at this point.

I find batis lenses are a bit bloated or bigger than necessary.
you should consider the other lenses in a similar range like new Sony 40mm f2.5 or samyang 45mm f1.8 or sigma 45mm f2.8 etc.
Thats my only concern, they are bigger than they need to be, but still not as big as some of my super taks with the adapter and alot lighter than those
Im still on the fence, but I do like that Zeiss look...

Thats my only concern, they are bigger than they need to be, but still not as big as some of my super taks with the adapter and alot lighter than those
Im still on the fence, but I do like that Zeiss look...

I like Zeiss lenses too.
Also another concern is batis range seems to have come to a halt... Or may be that's all Zeiss intended release in this range since they have a decent coverage from 18mm to 135mm.

I like Zeiss lenses too.
Also another concern is batis range seems to have come to a halt... Or may be that's all Zeiss intended release in this range since they have a decent coverage from 18mm to 135mm.
I agree with you there, Id like to see updated versions as I think you are right, they have good coverage over the range

The Batis lenses suck pretty hard compared to the newer lenses but each to their own. The 85mm in particular is a complete waste of time it’s exactly the same lens as the Sony 85 f/1.8 for a lot more money. They were good when first launched as there was very few other options but anyone buying into them now should seriously look at what else is now available.

A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8 at f1.8.

RPSNqFv.jpg

f5.

rB5iNBe.jpg

She's allergic to everything, even wood. How can anyone be allergic to wood?

Last edited:
Hmmm. That's odd.

Looking at a couple of high ISO pictures taken under artificial light they've very noisy when viewed in Faststone Image Viewer but much much better in Windows Photo Viewer and CS5. I've looked in Faststone settings and can't spot anything. Has anyone come across this?

Here's a question for you all,

I shoot mostly Wildlife and own a Sony a7Riii (42mp) and Sony a7Riv (61mp) - Im thinking of selling or P-ex the a7Riii and buying a different body

my question is buy anther a7Riv or maybe an a9 - thoughts on which is a better body, for Wildlife images please fellow Sony shooters :)

Thanks in advance

Les :)

Back