The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I got to practise some BIF with my 70-350 a couple of months ago at St James Park. Most came out pretty good. I just uploaded them to flickr. One I clipped the wings as it was swooping fast towards me and over my head by the time I just about got the shot.

Gull in Flight 3
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Gull diving
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Gull in Flight 12
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Gull in Flight 13
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

BIF 10
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Gull in Flight 10
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Gull in Flight 11
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Gull in Flight 7
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Last edited:
Riddle me this..
..my R4 produces pictures of fabulous quality. I shoot single frames. Never bursts. The eye AF is astonishing. I’ve only shot 5 minutes of video in 9 months. So far less than 900 clicks.

Why the hell am I looking at the A1 ???

Riddle me this..
..my R4 produces pictures of fabulous quality. I shoot single frames. Never bursts. The eye AF is astonishing. I’ve only shot 5 minutes of video in 9 months. So far less than 900 clicks.

Hmm, good point. It'd be cheaper looking at the A1 on google street view.

Riddle me this..

More money than sense? :LOL:

Riddle me this..

Good old GAS :LOL:

Riddle me this..

Because it's shiny and better :ROFLMAO:

Riddle me this..

Classic GAS, one camera to rule them all....

Riddle me this..

Tempted myself but the storage I would need and thoughts of battling through thousands of big files from a wedding is muting my GAS for now.

Storage is cheap but it isn’t that cheap.

Last edited:
What is the tape trick to counter the EVF problem on the A1 in bright light?

I thought I had avoided the issue but tonight it just kept going to the rear display no matter how close I got to the EVF, really annoying and I’d rather not go to manually switching each time.

What is the tape trick to counter the EVF problem on the A1 in bright light?

I thought I had avoided the issue but tonight it just kept going to the rear display no matter how close I got to the EVF, really annoying and I’d rather not go to manually switching each time.

hmm never had this issue myself....
the tape fix is explained in this video
View: https://youtu.be/T4B-mtPnsS0?t=900

or you could also try a deeper eye cup

hmm never had this issue myself....
the tape fix is explained in this video
View: https://youtu.be/T4B-mtPnsS0?t=900

or you could also try a deeper eye cup

Thanks I’ll try the tape trick as I don’t think the deeper eyecup would help as I tried various things.

I thought I had avoided the issue until tonight, the sun was very strong tonight and was behind and slightly to the side of me and hood or so before sunset.

Anyway it sounds like the tape thing works, hope it does :)

Thanks I’ll try the tape trick as I don’t think the deeper eyecup would help as I tried various things.

I thought I had avoided the issue until tonight, the sun was very strong tonight and was behind and slightly to the side of me and hood or so before sunset.

Anyway it sounds like the tape thing works, hope it does :)

I think the deep eyecup works.
I think all Sony bodies have this issue but with likes of A7RIV for example the eye cup acts as a hood to the EVF eye detect sensor. In case of A7C or A1 the sensor is exposed.
I have recently got hold of a deeper eye cup for A7C and I'll report back if that has fixed the issue. if that fixes it for A7C I'll but the deeper eyecup for A1 too.

I really don't like stick things like tape to my camera if I can help it.

£776 here :)

Les
They want £25 extra to extend the warranty to 3 years... :)

Tempted myself but the storage I would need and thoughts of battling through thousands of big files from a wedding is muting my GAS for now.

Storage is cheap but it isn’t that cheap.

A very real issue for some people.

I have one of those, so nearly a good device, having to change plates and needing the pin device really annoyed me.

I ended up getting one of these from US Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/ISDT-Batteries-Cyber-Shot-DSC-RX100-DSC-RX100M/dp/B07K1VJD85/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1ZQFMFFT49LKI&dchild=1&keywords=isdt+sony+charger&qid=1623520742&sprefix=isdt+sony,aps,230&sr=8-3

Great device, arrived in a week and I've been really happy so far

Thank you, I saw Wes Perry recommends that charger in one of his videos,
Did you have to pay any tax when it got to UK?

I bought an Oxkers charger including 2 batteries from ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402908705115?

It's a USB type, so not super-rapid, but quite functional. The batteries themselves work fine giving about the same number of shots as one of my standard Sony batteries and less than the other, but occasionally a message pops up warning about a non-standard battery. Not a premium product, but not a premium price.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that one too.

That would make it £801 then :)
For £9 I’d rather have the piece of mind of using Panamoz (y) That being said that other shop has good trust pilot reviews.

For £9 I’d rather have the piece of mind of using Panamoz (y) That being said that other shop has good trust pilot reviews.

Personally I don't buy grey stuff- but as you say good trust pilot reviews - I have the Sony 70-200mm f2.8- be interested to see how well the Tamron performs in comparison

Les :)

Competition rumor... Nikon mirrorless ZFC?

I don't know how well the retro DSLR did but I suppose there will be at least a niche market for cameras like this. I can't see Sony ever doing one but would anyone be interested if they did?

I'd probably do exactly as I do now... watch and read the reviews, maybe even put one in my basket every couple of days but not actually buy one.

Personally I don't buy grey stuff- but as you say good trust pilot reviews - I have the Sony 70-200mm f2.8- be interested to see how well the Tamron performs in comparison

Les :)
I’d prefer the Sony but it’s just too heavy, and then there’s the price. I was going to wait to see what the new Sony 70-200mm offers, as well as the Sigma one (if it ever comes out) but at £810 I couldn’t resist the Tamron. I did hire it last year and was impressed. Optically it’s superb, and AF was very good too. My only bug bears are the lack of focus limiter and the lack of tripod collar, although you can buy third party collars that seem to be OK.

I’d prefer the Sony but it’s just too heavy, and then there’s the price. I was going to wait to see what the new Sony 70-200mm offers, as well as the Sigma one (if it ever comes out) but at £810 I couldn’t resist the Tamron. I did hire it last year and was impressed. Optically it’s superb, and AF was very good too. My only bug bears are the lack of focus limiter and the lack of tripod collar, although you can buy third party collars that seem to be OK.

so you bought the tamron in the end?

Back