The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why thank you Alan- Its a passion for me, I love the challenge of getting close enough to get a great image

Having only taken a few deliberate pictures of birds but more of squirrels I do realise that what I think of as long focal lengths are puny when it comes to trying to fill the frame and I do appreciate that getting the pictures isn't as simple as slapping on a long lens and instantly being able to get pictures like these.

Not specifically Sony as he seems to have left Sony for Canon but some may be interested in reading this article on Admiring Light. I've read comments on other site/blogs and this guy seems to be respected as one of the better photographers amongst these internet commentators so

Id love an A7C. But I’m not sure I’d use it enough.

One would get me closer to feeling I could sell my MFT kit but there are just too many issues for me. As always good luck to those who like the camera.

Id love an A7C. But I’m not sure I’d use it enough.
Its a very good backup camera. Plus its just about small enough that my missus will use it also without me resorting to buying her one of the smaller bridge cameras (previously had the Sony RX bodies and Panasonic LX bodies).

That really does "pop" ... great shot (y)
Thanks Mike. :) I'm really pleased with this shot and the way the lighting and DOF has turned out. I didn't want to over expose it in post or I'd lose the light and shade effect. I think in general, full frame cameras have better shallow DOF at F1.4 such as Trevor's bike shots, and I was at F1.4 on my aps-c which is really equivalent to F2.1(I think?). But I'm really impressed the way it's still able to get some separation from the background and a kind of almost cinematic look.

Last edited:
Thanks Trevor.

I always fancied a Vinnie, but riding a classic bike like I would have done then would have been very antisocial, and now I'm too cautious.

Sadly they have always been out of reach for me too.
Caution has it’s place.

Sadly they have always been out of reach for me too.
Caution has it’s place.

I had a mate with a Squariel 1000 - used to go really well, but he went though a lot of engines in a short period of ownership. I also had a BSA shooting star for a bit, and that snapped the crank on the one occasion I really gave it some beans. Vintage bikes need careful owners.

Just a random addendum to the camera bag chat earlier on.

Having espoused how much I love my Peak Design 10l sling, the zip broke mid-walk whilst out in Cornwall. Not a complete disaster, as just wore it on the front but a pain nonetheless and not easy to fix. Contacted Peak Design about warranty repairs - they offer full lifetime warranty (even if you bought it secondhand!), but didn't have an v1 slings left, so are sending me a v2 sling. Excellent service.

Just a random addendum to the camera bag chat earlier on.

Having espoused how much I love my Peak Design 10l sling, the zip broke mid-walk whilst out in Cornwall. Not a complete disaster, as just wore it on the front but a pain nonetheless and not easy to fix. Contacted Peak Design about warranty repairs - they offer full lifetime warranty (even if you bought it secondhand!), but didn't have an v1 slings left, so are sending me a v2 sling. Excellent service.
Is that the everyday sling.
I was looking at the 3L version seeing if it would fit my A7C in it.

To give you some idea, the 5litre version holds the 7C with a prime attached, plus 2 other primes.
Great, I've seen some pictures on dpreview looks like it will be ideal for the camera and a lens attached. Or two small lenses.
Have my 5l Think Tank for more, but they that's a fairly heavy bag as well and bulky. Want something all round smaller for family days out.

Any recommendations for off camera trigger/receiver to use my Nikon Speedlight. Happy with manual flash only.
Would like a budget friendly solution.

Thanks Toby. It really is a great performer.
Just taken a look at that lens, not cheap is it :oops: :$ I can't justify that for the number times I'd use it (y)

From the rumor site. Some here have an A7c but for those who don't this might be interesting...

The compact lenses...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ohhwDgFM4&t=2s

When I think I'd quite like the 40 or 50mm I remind myself I already have the 35mm f2.8.
Were these not shown a couple of months ago? I cannot see the point of having both the 40 AND 50mm. Personally I’ve compromised on the Sigma 45mm! :p

The lenses are old news but as the vid is in the same article on the rumor site as the A7c travel bit I included it here.

I like the idea of these lenses but I have the 35mm f2.8 so they're a bit pointless in that sense although the aperture ring and assignable button could be attractive but not for me as my A7 doesn't AFAIK have the ability to use the lens button. I do like the idea in the vid about assigning APS-C mode to the button to turn a prime into two, sort of.

Of the new lenses I suppose the 24mm would interest me the most but it seems to have an unremarkable to poor minimum focus distance and pretty epic distortion, so there's that. I do like the idea of the 40mm too but I have that 35mm f2.8 and also a MF Voigtlander 40mm f1.2. Going 40mm would take me back to my Kodak Instamatic and other simple camera days but 35mm is I suppose close enough and I do have the Voigtlander too.

I'm surprised that Sony are pumping out lenses with so much focus breathing in these stills and video converging days. It wouldn't bother me but I can see it annoying some, like that elephant guy in the vid I posted earlier.

Last edited:
Must say I’ve never used APSC mode - must try it as it could be useful, and I don’t need large-output files - and having an assignable button for that seems a good idea.

You'll have to give it a go and report back :D
I’ll have to get out and take a photo! Not had the camera out for over 6 weeks! Still, should be easier now the tourist season is drawing down. Everywhere has been so busy round here - the roads have been clogged.

The weather is a problem here but I've just had an email to say that my faulty laptop has been repaired and will be with me later this week so I'll at least be able to process the pictures on my camera :D

Last edited:
I'm sure there's a thread dedicated to this question but I'd rather ask on here. I'm toying with the idea of getting another 1" Sensor type camera for dog walks when I can't be arsed to carry my kit around, but I had the Sony RX100-3 and Canon G7x in the past and wasn't overly impressed with the lens quality, have they improved this on the later gen RX100's?

I'm sure there's a thread dedicated to this question but I'd rather ask on here. I'm toying with the idea of getting another 1" Sensor type camera for dog walks when I can't be arsed to carry my kit around, but I had the Sony RX100-3 and Canon G7x in the past and wasn't overly impressed with the lens quality, have they improved this on the later gen RX100's?

Toby, I have an RX100M6 and the lens quality is "Excellent" at any focal length particularly around the F4-F5.6 apertures. The M7 model is just as good as it's the same lens etc but the later unit has better tracking and also supports an external microphone plus a few other revised bits.

Back