The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It is but was worth it for me as I’m much happier with the files it produces. Never been a fan of Sony’s profiles and the Adobe ones are too magenta to my eyes. YMMV.
The weird thing is that their website looks very poor with only 2 pages and a Paypal button. Not even one single photo to illustrate what the profile do. Then I cannot find much online either., I see he pops on various forum threads but cannot see one image or test or review of the profile nothing. It's a bit strange that there is not anything more about it?

A busy weekend watching and photographing sport. Boxing in very dim conditions was a real test and I think I got a must do better mark. Rugby was OK but I chose the wrong ends for the action for the games. The mens game in particular had 7 tries the nearest of which was the only one at my end 50 yards away

_A9_2509 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A9_1901 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A9_1496 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A9_0511 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A9_9973_DxO by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A9_6010_DxO by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

The weird thing is that their website looks very poor with only 2 pages and a Paypal button. Not even one single photo to illustrate what the profile do. Then I cannot find much online either., I see he pops on various forum threads but cannot see one image or test or review of the profile nothing. It's a bit strange that there is not anything more about it?
I don't know, @dancook recommended it and I know we've had the same gripes about Sony colours so I trusted his opinion. If you're happy with Sony and/or adobe profiles then it's not worth spending the money (y)

I don't know, @dancook recommended it and I know we've had the same gripes about Sony colours so I trusted his opinion. If you're happy with Sony and/or adobe profiles then it's not worth spending the money (y)

@Lemaildetom

I assume you're talking about Color Fidelity?

I bought them for my A9 and I found them to be an improvement on Adobe, but as soon as moved to the Sony A1 Adobe Color has been fine for me.

To be fair I keep them until they die so I probably get my moneys worth. I'm currently thinking of removing the HDD and using it for external backup. I have two or three but I don't suppose you can have too many.

It'd be hard to go back to a lower spec one now though as this one is just soooo fast to do everything, it converts raws and runs Nik filters at warp speed compared to the old ones I've had.

Last edited:
To be fair I keep them until they die so I probably get my moneys worth. I'm currently thinking of removing the HDD and using it for external backup. I have two or three but I don't suppose you can have too many.

It'd be hard to go back to a lower spec one now though as this one is just soooo fast to do everything, it converts raws and runs Nik filters at warp speed compared to the old ones I've had.
As you will well know, spinning disks don't last forever, and if your previous machine was on its last legs it doesn't bode well for the disk. ;)

The biggest issue for me as it's happened twice is crumbling cases, a consequence of cheap thin plastic not lasting the years of use I expect. I suppose I do keep kit longer than many would as some no doubt upgrade every few years so wont suffer crumbling cases.

We did that section about 4 years back, when I was fitter. A bit of a pull up some parts, which the dog ran up as she has 4PD (four paw drive).
Certainly gets the lungs working :hungover:

The lack for front control dial on the A7c is a deal breaker for me.

The Sony F1.8's are great lenses. Not sure how much a used/grey Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG DN is but might be worth a look, cracking lens?
Struggling to decide between an A7C or A7iii. Persuade me either way!

I'm finding it difficult also, the lack of EVF puts me off and the a7iii also has reported issues with the shutter catching and crunching up resulting in a repair rumoured to cost £400-£600. I am waiting for the a7IV though the rumoured price tag of £2.5k puts me off, currently with aps-c so may go the a6600 route or a7riii/iv.

I'm finding it difficult also, the lack of EVF puts me off and the a7iii also has reported issues with the shutter catching and crunching up resulting in a repair rumoured to cost £400-£600. I am waiting for the a7IV though the rumoured price tag of £2.5k puts me off, currently with aps-c so may go the a6600 route or a7riii/iv.

Just get an A7iii, they're still incredible cameras. Mine have been faultless since I've had them

What lack of EVF, it has an EVF, though not as nice as the one on the A7iii, that to be fair even that doesn't stand up to other brands EVFs.

Are we talking about the EVF on the a7c? If it's the same as my a6600, I'm very happy with it. I haven't used a full frame Sony EVF so I guess it's fair to say I haven't been spoilt yet. But as things are, I find the EVF excellent and I see everything I need to.

Anyway, here's a staircase at Heals in London.

The Cecil Brewer Staircase 1 by Merlin 5, on Flickr

The Cecil Brewer Staircase 1a by Merlin 5, on Flickr

The Cecil Brewer Staircase 3
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

The Cecil Brewer Staircase 4 by Merlin 5, on Flickr

The Cecil Brewer Staircase 5 by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yes it's very similar. I came from a big A7 and the drop in magnificent hasn't made the slightest difference. It's perfectly usable.

Are we talking about the EVF on the a7c? If it's the same as my a6600, I'm very happy with it. I haven't used a full frame Sony EVF so I guess it's fair to say I haven't been spoilt yet. But as things are, I find the EVF excellent and I see everything I need to.

Anyway, here's a staircase at Heals in london.

The Cecil Brewer Staircase 1 by Merlin 5, on Flickr

The Cecil Brewer Staircase 3 by Merlin 5, on Flickr

The Cecil Brewer Staircase 4 by Merlin 5, on Flickr

The Cecil Brewer Staircase 5 by Merlin 5, on Flickr
TBH Sony EVF’s don’t wow me (I’ve owned the A7RIV and A9-II), they’re a bit ‘grainy’ which then becomes worse when autofocussing (and I’ve tried all EVF settings and refresh rates). Also there’s rainbow artefacts in certain situations. Nikons are much better IMO.

That being said they’re perfectly acceptable.

What lack of EVF, it has an EVF, though not as nice as the one on the A7iii, that to be fair even that doesn't stand up to other brands EVFs.

I probably should have referred to the size of the evf as yes I know it has one but it looks pokey compared to the one on my a6600. I can't make a final decision yet as I need to have hold of one but I've been to five camera shops in my area and stock of cameras is all but non-existent in some.
I like a viewfinder, never could get my head round side swinging screens with my video camera years ago.

Cameras also seem to be creeping up in price due mainly to supply of chips so I have been told.

Cameras also seem to be creeping up in price due mainly to supply of chips so I have been told.

I prefer McCain's myself.

I went to Canary Wharf last night to do a couple of long exposure shots. After getting out of the station, it took me a while to walk to the spot I wanted at Blackwall Basin. Set up my tripod, then realised I'd left my Manfrotto 200PL plate at home screwed to my 5Dll. Couldn't take any photos. :facepalm: Will go back there tonight.

I prefer mine dusted in gold and cooked in Champagne, they are the G.M version of fired potatoes.

That's just crazy. Certainly not cheap as chips.

Completely unrelated to anything Sony at all but seeing as we talk about anything in here has anyone noticed the huge increase in the value of used cars, seemingly because the semi conductor shortage is causing huge issues with the availability new cars as I expect it is doing for lots of other things as well including cameras?

About a year or so ago I bought a used Skoda Octavia VRS for work. I loved the car. I really liked the styling inside and it performs pretty decent for what it is and had a huge boot perfect for dragging along all my equipment to weddings with loads of room to spare. Not long after buying it and doing a bit of reading up on them I found out that there was a limited edition petrol 245bhp version. This version while stated at 245bhp actually runs at around 280bhp and a basic stage 1 remap takes it up to near 350bhp. It also has a lot of added extras over my car like split alacantra/leather electronic memory seats, much better infotainment system with Apple Car Play, much nicer looking 19" wheels, auto folding mirrors, front park sensors, sports dials with a boost gauge and a lap timer, the list goes on... I wanted one badly but they are very rare in Northern Ireland. They are a little less rare in England but the limited edition version is still not handy got although a normal 245bhp can be got easy enough. So over the last year I have been keeping an eye out for one with no success, even petrol 220bhp/230bhp versions don't come up for sale here very often, while the diesel version is very popular and readily available. I went and looked at a few 220/230 versions but they were no where near the spec of the limited edition 245 I wanted and as I was very happy with my own car I just continued to wait. I did find one in England but it was a little tatty looking so again I held off, although I got in touch with all the local Skoda dealers who promised to get in touch if a 245 could be got.

Then miracle of all miracles one appeared for sale here last week, of course I had to have it. I hate trading in as while it saves a bit of hassle you are always getting ripped off but this time around I didn't have the cash to just buy the car out right and didn't want to take the chance on trying to get my car sold and waiting and the 245 being sold before I could get rid. I always won't do finance for a car especially when I was pretty happy with the car I had. I couldn't believe it when I went up to trade my car in and the guy straight away offered me 2k more than I paid for it a year ago, I have stuck 15k miles on it over the last year as well. After a bit of haggling I ended up getting £2750 more than I paid for the car a year ago. On the flip side of the coin is that used prices at the used car places when buying have went up as well. Although I did okay as the guy was totally unaware that the car he had was a limited edition and he had it priced at what I would have expected to pay for a normal 245 in England at the moment.

One of my neighbours came over yesterday to have a chat about my new car and said he had recently visited a dealer as well as he was thinking about changing his car, he has had his car 4 years and the dealer offered him exactly what he had paid for it 4 years ago. :ROFLMAO: The neighbour told me that the dealer he had talked too had mentioned a few things that was pushing the value of used cars up. His dealer said that cars here with an N.I reg are now worth more here as a lot of cars from here get sold into the republic, a lot of cars here have an English Reg. But if you buy a car here and it has an English reg and you are bringing it down south you have to pay 26% tax because of Brexit were there is no tax if the car has an N.I reg. His dealer also told him that a lot of people have spare cash with not being able to go on holiday for a while because of Covid and so demand for cars is very high. A lot of people don't want a brand new car as the network here for charging electric vehicles is very poor and so they are looking nearly new petrol and diesel cars instead. Then of course there is the whole semi conductors thing as well causing huge issues for the manufacturers getting new cars made and shipped out.

I haven't really noticed much increases in the price of camera bodies but I haven't really been looking, can we expect huge increases soon on both new and used?

Ooh this is my new car absolutely love it!

288993993.1920.jpg

Last edited:
Business grey. Very nice. Wheels would look nice on my Skoda (Karoq) which has also been valued at more than I paid for it.

I've been thinking about a car for a while but I keep putting it off as if I sell my MX5 I'll never have another, but then again the new petrol is worrying me. I've been thinking about either a LR Evoque or the equivalent Jag but prices do seem high at the mo.

Sony wise I've been down with an orrible bug all week so no picture taking for me apart from a couple with a GM5 I bought which sadly has an issue and is going back.

I keep getting calls from the local Skoda dealer, but tbh I've no interest.

Hope you enjoy the new car. The wheels aren't my taste at all, but the rest looks nice.

Business grey. Very nice. Wheels would look nice on my Skoda (Karoq) which has also been valued at more than I paid for it.

It is Meteor grey its a fair bit lighter in real life than the over edited photo from the dealers website. Business grey is more metallic this is more matt.

I've been thinking about a car for a while but I keep putting it off as if I sell my MX5 I'll never have another, but then again the new petrol is worrying me. I've been thinking about either a LR Evoque or the equivalent Jag but prices do seem high at the mo.

Sony wise I've been down with an orrible bug all week so no picture taking for me apart from a couple with a GM5 I bought which sadly has an issue and is going back.

Can't you just use Super unleaded? It is still E5.
I keep getting calls from the local Skoda dealer, but tbh I've no interest.

Hope you enjoy the new car. The wheels aren't my taste at all, but the rest looks nice.

I love the wheels, Debated quite a few times picking a set up for my old VRS.

Last edited:
It is Meteor grey its a fair bit lighter in real life than the over edited photo from the dealers website. Business grey is more metallic this is more matt.

Can't you just use Super unleaded? It is still E5.

I love the wheels, Debated quite a few times picking a set up for my old VRS.
I'll be stuck with the old stuff until it becomes unobtainable.

Wheels are very much a personal choice. When I got my first MX5 I insisted they took the alloys they'd put on it off and refitted the original steel wheels :D That saved my £500 on the price too.

Back