The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Well, there's the Camranger. Shutter App (currently Apple only) but I'm still not sure what the slowest shutter speeds are on those because it doesn't go into that information.
$358 for an intervalometer :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, i cant even find out if the USB-C supports shutter control, if it does, its only a matter of time before someone makes one, wouldnt be hard to modify current one either if you knew the pin out.

$358 for an intervalometer :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, i cant even find out if the USB-C supports shutter control, if it does, its only a matter of time before someone makes one, wouldnt be hard to modify current one either if you knew the pin out.

Yes $358 - Hence I still have the A7 in my bag :ROFLMAO: I think it does support shutter control. I've read you can start video recording via USB so.....

Anyway, no rush :)

Also after advice on primes. I have about £1k to spend and ideally want a 35/85 set up. Do I pick up the Sony 1.8 versions or alternatives. Could splurge on a 35 GM at an absolute push, but ideally wanted both FLs covered for the price….for family photography as I have 2 young kids.

I have the Sony 20, 35, 55 and 85mm f1.8's. I'd describe the 35, 55 and 85 as sharp lenses with unremarkable bokeh, mechanical vignetting and possibly with some ca in some situations. I really liked the old Sigma 50 and 85mm f1.4's I had for my canon DSLR's and I keep thinking back to the nice bokeh of those lenses, the Sonys in comparison are sharper but imo don't give that smoothness of the old Sigmas. The Sonys are sharper though and focus quickly even on my old A7 and the close focus ability of the Sony 35mm f1.8 is nice for close detail pictures.

If starting from scratch I'd give the Sigma DG DN lenses a look, those ones that look like metal manual lenses.

A bit off topic, but when I get email notifications these days (I think since migration to the new platform) there's no body to the email. In the past I could see what was said in the post and then there was links to view the website, or to view the post. Now all I get is a blank email with a "view this thread" 'button' to click on. Is this the same for everyone?

One last one from me. A7 and 35mm f2.8 going for a dreamy look.

r4uu5Kg.jpg

Last edited:
Yes $358 - Hence I still have the A7 in my bag :ROFLMAO: I think it does support shutter control. I've read you can start video recording via USB so.....

Anyway, no rush :)

A7c can be controlled via. USB-C but no one has bothered to make one for it because rest of the cameras have the old multiport :facepalm:

A7c can be controlled via. USB-C but no one has bothered to make one for it because rest of the cameras have the old multiport :facepalm:
They'll be out eventually then, took a while when the 1st A7 came out, i remember waiting a while back then. Need someone to try a USB-C adapter.

Last edited:
They'll be out eventually then, took a while when the 1st A7 came out, i remember waiting a while back then. Need someone to try a USB-C adapter.
I'm happy try an adapter if you can point me towards one....

I'm happy try an adapter if you can point me towards one....
Would one of these work i wonder. Isn't the micro usb port on the cameras not quite a standard usb micro.

EasyULT 4 Pack Micro USB to USB-C Adapter, Type C (Male) to Micro USB (Female) Converter Type C Adapter Compatible with Galaxy S8/S8+, S20 Note 20, Huawei P10 Plus/Honor 8, LG G6 and More(Black) https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BR...abc_ZE1BVPRHN8WT3Y005WH9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I tried looking for the pin out, I'd just rewire a cable then. But couldn't find one.

Edit. Thought so, scroll down to Sony.

Last edited:
Would one of these work i wonder. Isn't the micro usb port on the cameras not quite a standard usb micro.

EasyULT 4 Pack Micro USB to USB-C Adapter, Type C (Male) to Micro USB (Female) Converter Type C Adapter Compatible with Galaxy S8/S8+, S20 Note 20, Huawei P10 Plus/Honor 8, LG G6 and More(Black) https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BR...abc_ZE1BVPRHN8WT3Y005WH9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I tried looking for the pin out, I'd just rewire a cable then. But couldn't find one.

No they are Sony multiport. Multiport does support micro USB but I don't think the other way round holds true.
My intervalometer has a multiport so not sure if standard micro USB adapters will work.

No they are Sony multiport. Multiport does support micro USB but I don't think the other way round holds true.
My intervalometer has a multiport so not sure if standard micro USB adapters will work.
Need to find the pinout for the a7c USBC port, find the focus and shutter pins and easy job to make a cable.

Blambling again. Action shot at 40mm and f1.2, well, a walking/trotting Mrs WW.

epVoWmz.jpg

Ozt7ycQ.jpg

Typical, sunny when we left he house, cloudy 5 minutes later and when we got home again... sunny :D

Last edited:
Yeah a smaller 35 and a 1.4 85 could be an option. The 85 is only going to see use on dedicated photo opportunities, the 35 is the daily lens so makes sense to keep the 35 smaller and lighter.

I still think the D750 was better in some way. Also all review put them at the same level, I think the iso performance of the nikon was better and the colours more natural looking. I definitely see more grain in the A7iii. Also often with the A7iii the picture look extremely sharp on the back screen and just ok once downloaded.

On the plus side for the A7iii, I like the configuration of all the button. Really made it fit my need perfectly. I have on the rear thumb BBF, eye focus and manual focus override (press joystick).
AF points all over the screen is useful too.

The first lens I bought was a Samyang 35mm f2.8 and it is my most used lens. Make the camera very compact. I since bought the samyang 18mm and 75mm. All part of the tiny serie which is also very cheap.

Although I really like shooting with prime, I wish for these lazy days I had the 24-105 f4 but it's too big and expensive for now. Any recommendation on a good lens which a similar zoom range?

I still think the D750 was better in some way. Also all review put them at the same level, I think the iso performance of the nikon was better and the colours more natural looking. I definitely see more grain in the A7iii. Also often with the A7iii the picture look extremely sharp on the back screen and just ok once downloaded.

On the plus side for the A7iii, I like the configuration of all the button. Really made it fit my need perfectly. I have on the rear thumb BBF, eye focus and manual focus override (press joystick).

The first lens I bought was a Samyang 35mm f2.8 and it is my most used lens. Make the camera very compact. I since bought the samyang 18mm and 75mm. All part of the tiny serie which is also very cheap.

Although I really like shooting with prime, I wish for these lazy days I had the 24-105 f4 but it's too big and expensive for now. Any recommendation on a good lens which a similar zoom range?
tamron 28-200mm

I think I'll be getting rid of my Tamron 28-200 at some point. It's just not wide enough I really miss my 24-70.

Since getting my A9 a few months back, I’ve pretty much only used it for wildlife with the 200-600, so I stuck on my samyang 85mm f/1.4 and Nikon to Sony converter to play with. Fully manual of course, the punch in magnifying feature of the A9 came in very useful!..

Last edited:

The D750 does produces slightly cleaner files at base I.S.O and up to about I.S.O 800 but is no where near as good at higher I.S.O, that is just my opinion though having at one time owned 6 x D750's and switched to A7III's in the first instance. Sony colours are more accurate than Nikon but sometimes Nikon colours can look more pleasing. It took me a little while to learn how to tweak Sony files to look how I want them.

If you are having a problem with sharpness that will likely be down to the Samyang lenses which often just aren't very good. Samyang basically only make one decent lens for e-mount the 45mm f/1.8. There is huge copy variation with Samyang lenses, you may need to try several copies to find one that is half decent.

The Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is small and light weight for an f/2.8 mid range zoom and is pretty sharp, there is a new version coming soon which is supposed to be sharper again.

Last edited:
Went for a nice 10k walk this morning to feed the birds. Its a popular spot for bird photographers, you get a few rare birds here. George liked feeding the swans though.

DSC00507.jpg

Since getting my A9 a few months back, I’ve pretty much only used it for wildlife with the 200-600, so I stuck on my samyang 85mm f/1.4 and Nikon to Sony converter to play with. Fully manual of course, the punch in magnifying feature of the A9 came in very useful!..

The first and best word that immediately came to mind when seeing these was 'magical'.

The first and best word that immediately came to mind when seeing these was 'magical'.
I agree, that's a good description. They're very nice photos.

The D750 does produces slightly cleaner files at base I.S.O and up to about I.S.O 800 but is no where near as good at higher I.S.O, that is just my opinion though having at one time owned 6 x D750's and switched to A7III's in the first instance. Sony colours are more accurate than Nikon but sometimes Nikon colours can look more pleasing. It took me a little while to learn how to tweak Sony files to look how I want them.

If you are having a problem with sharpness that will likely be down to the Samyang lenses which often just aren't very good. Samyang basically only make one decent lens for e-mount the 45mm f/1.8. There is huge copy variation with Samyang lenses, you may need to try several copies to find one that is half decent.

The Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is small and light weight for an f/2.8 mid range zoom and is pretty sharp, there is a new version coming soon which is supposed to be sharper again.
I always find Nikon colours more natural tbh, at least using standard camera profiles in Lightroom. Sony is better using color fidelity, but I still find Nikon better.

Another couple from the woods. Yes it’s a magical place for sure. So lucky to have this behind my house!

The top one was with the samyang FE mount 18mm f/2.8 the rest are the Nikon mount 85mm f/1.4.

Really impressed with the cobwebs shot. Sharp yet moody at the same time.

I always find Nikon colours more natural tbh, at least using standard camera profiles in Lightroom. Sony is better using color fidelity, but I still find Nikon better.
Most people will prefer Nikon or Canon colours straight out if camera but Sony is more accurate. That isnt always a good thing though.

Most people will prefer Nikon or Canon colours straight out if camera but Sony is more accurate. That isnt always a good thing though.
As I said I’ve always found Nikon (D750, D850, Z7) more accurate than Sony (A7RIV, A9-II) using Lightroom. I also find Nikon auto WB better, which weirdly is also the opposite of what you find if my memory serves me correctly.

Either way I’ve always developed a preset which to my eyes gives me the most accurate reproduction as my preference is for colour accuracy over “pleasing” (y)

Never heard of colour fidelity before. A quick google and I see it's a preset worth 25$ per camera. Sound a bit expensive for a profile.

Never heard of colour fidelity before. A quick google and I see it's a preset worth 25$ per camera. Sound a bit expensive for a profile.
It is but was worth it for me as I’m much happier with the files it produces. Never been a fan of Sony’s profiles and the Adobe ones are too magenta to my eyes. YMMV.

Back