The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

No I’m happy with what I have, but I’ve just received an email from Nikon with a teaser for the Z9 so I’ll be interested to see what that offers and see if they can keep up with the R3. I’ll not be buying it, but the better Canikon are the more it ‘should’ push Sony forwards.
Bit big :eek:

Bit big :eek:

They aren't giving away an awful lot about it are they....
I'm getting sick of this new trend of giving teaser about a pre-announcement for an announcement of the pre-release of the actual release of the camera

Last edited:
They aren't giving away an awful lot about it are they....
I'm getting sick of this new trend of giving teaser about a pre-announcement for an announcement of the pre-release of the actual release of the camera

One theory is that they do this to try and stop the faithful from buying the competition.

Did someone already post this? If not here it is...

• launch on October 21 (if chip supply permits this)
  • Newly developed 33MP sensor
  • 15 stops of DR
  • 3.69m dot EVF and LCD is improved too (1.44m dot???)
  • 4k30 video is oversampled from 7K
  • 4k60p
  • 5.5 stops of IBIS (+ AS)
  • Same A7sIII body design and same heatsink system.
  • Full size HDMi
  • Fully articulating LCD screen
  • UHS-II SD-cards and CF Xpress cards
  • Same new Sony menu system of the A7sIII
  • I am still not sure about this but price might be around $2,499???
Well. That's nice. Or is it?

Seems a bit expensive but maybe I'm wrong.

How do people feel about tilty v articulated screens? I'm not too bothered. When I had a fully articulated one it spend most of its time folded to the body. I do use the back screen but I can't say I care enough either way for it to influence my decision.

Last edited:
One theory is that they do this to try and stop the faithful from buying the competition.
not sure if it really achieves that tbh. I understand something like a teaser, accountment and release.
but this is taking it to the next level. They have already teased the Z9. This second teaser barely provides any more information that would really swing my decision. So all it does is be annoying.

• 15 stops of DR
  • 4k60p
  • Full size HDMi

price seems to be in line with R6.

price seems to be in line with R6.

Oh, I haven't taken any notice. I'd have thought it'd be about £60 as you can get a Sony DVD player for that.

:D

I can't remember how much I paid for my A7 and 28-70mm, £1,800 or so? That seemed a lot to me at the time,

Oh, I haven't taken any notice. I'd have thought it'd be about £60 as you can get a Sony DVD player for that.

:D

I can't remember how much I paid for my A7 and 28-70mm, £1,800 or so? That seemed a lot to me at the time,
I don't think it was that expensive.
think I paid £1450 with a free grip and I thought that was a lot. Basically traded in my A99 for £1150 paid an extra £300 on top.

Maybe it just felt that expensive :D

Still, to put it in perspective we're getting the bathroom done in a few weeks and that is expensive.

PS..
Just looked it up.
8th Nov 2013, £1,549 with a "free" Billingham bag.

Last edited:
Just checked my emails actually paid £1399 for it :D
buying into e-mount was a scary prospect at the time to be honest. Didn't know if it'd last or if Sony would last. Then there was the part about being an early adopter but I really felt mirrorless was the way forward.

Last edited:
It was the Panasonic G1 that convinced me that mirrorless was the future as it gave good competition to my FF Canon 5D but was smaller and lighter so when the A7 was announced I was keen. I initially thought I'd make do with just one or two lenses and use film era lenses to fill the gaps and little used focal lengths but I now have 10 native lenses, 7 AF and 3 MF.

It was the Panasonic G1 that convinced me that mirrorless was the future as it gave good competition to my FF Canon 5D but was smaller and lighter so when the A7 was announced I was keen. I initially thought I'd make do with just one or two lenses and use film era lenses to fill the gaps and little used focal lengths but I now have 10 native lenses, 7 AF and 3 MF.
yeah thought pretty much the same. Had a lot of fun adapting but I wouldn't go back to it. Been spoilt by all the GM glass.
Plus I am in a better position (financially) since the original A7. I was still new and just started my career. Now I am 10 years in so a couple promotions later its easier to afford things.

It's never reeeeeeaaaally been a cost issue for me, it's more what I'm willing to pay and probably more important is what I'm likely to want to use as, as I've said so many times, I really do prefer compact kit and I know I'd likely want to leave the larger lenses at home. Lenses of about the size of the 20/35/55mm f1.8's are getting towards the limit of what I'm happy to use with the 85mm f1.8 perhaps getting a bit too big and lenses like the 35mm f2.8 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 appealing to me the most, the 28mm f2 and other Voigtlanders being in the middle ground.

Last edited:
It's never reeeeeeaaaally been a cost issue for me, it's more what I'm willing to pay and probably more important is what I'm likely to want to use as, as I've said so many times, I really do prefer compact kit and I know I'd likely want to leave the larger lenses at home. Lenses of about the size of the 20/35/55mm f1.8's are getting towards the limit of what I'm happy to use with the 85mm f1.8 perhaps getting a bit too big and lenses like the 35mm f2.8 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 appealing to me the most
while I like smaller lenses I also like have less number of them. So its bit of a balance....
hence I was quite interested in the new tamron 35-150mm f2-2.8. I was wondering I could make a 2-lens kit with it (16-35mm/2.8+35-150mm).
but that tamron is too big for me... just wish it was a wee bit smaller

• 15 stops of DR
  • 4k60p
  • Full size HDMi

How do people feel about tilty v articulated screens? I'm not too bothered. When I had a fully articulated one it spend most of its time folded to the body. I do use the back screen but I can't say I care enough either way for it to influence my decision.
Looks good, but I can’t go back to cameras with blackout ;) I’m not a fan of fully articulating screens,..... except that on the A77.

I don't think it was that expensive.
think I paid £1450 with a free grip and I thought that was a lot. Basically traded in my A99 for £1150 paid an extra £300 on top.

Still, to put it in perspective we're getting the bathroom done in a few weeks and that is expensive.

PS..
Just looked it up.

To be honest, I've never ever looked up the 'new' cost of the A7 - I paid about £500-550 iirc (I probably still have the receipt somewhere) from LCE in.... 2014/15 - I think it was early '15 actually.

My first lenses I bought for it was the Voigtlander 40/1.4 Classic M & a Leitz tele-elmarit 90/2.8 M thin << I still kick myself about selling that one!!

To be honest, I've never ever looked up the 'new' cost of the A7 - I paid about £500-550 iirc (I probably still have the receipt somewhere) from LCE in.... 2014/15 - I think it was early '15 actually.

My first lenses I bought for it was the Voigtlander 40/1.4 Classic M & a Leitz tele-elmarit 90/2.8 M thin << I still kick myself about selling that one!!
A7 was probably one of the worst bodies I have owned in terms of losing its value. It lost like 50% of its value in just a year! (Mostly because A7ii was released in a year too)

A7 was probably one of the worst bodies I have owned in terms of losing its value. It lost like 50% of its value in just a year! (Mostly because A7ii was released in a year too)

Wow!! :(

I used to shoot my film lenses on the 5D2 & started reading that the A7 with focus peaking & magnification was better suited for that (& full frame) so I thought I'd try one!!

Edit - April '15
vv

*** by Lee, on Flickr

Oops, just been on a spending spree.
Sony 50mm f/1.8 and a Samyang 35mm f/1.4 are winging their way to me. Thought it about time I expand my lens lineup from just the 200-600!

Been using my old Nikon mount Samyang 85mm f/1.4 with a dumb adapter and loving the shallow DOF for autumn colours in the Forest.

Oops, just been on a spending spree.
Sony 50mm f/1.8 and a Samyang 35mm f/1.4 are winging their way to me. Thought it about time I expand my lens lineup from just the 200-600!

Been using my old Nikon mount Samyang 85mm f/1.4 with a dumb adapter and loving the shallow DOF for autumn colours in the Forest.
You'll have to let us know how you find the Samyang 35.

Finally after all these years Nikon is releasing a pro mirrorless body. I wonder if it will match the Sony A1. :D

Finally after all these years Nikon is releasing a pro mirrorless body. I wonder if it will match the Sony A1. :D

yeah I'd be interested in seeing how far they get. Their other mirrorless bodies still fall a wee bit short matching Sonys.
They certainly nicer to use than Sonys though.

I am not a fan of the large unnecessarily bloated body..... so I'd probably never buy it but still interested in seeing how well they do.

The rumor site says a new 70-200mm f2.8 is coming...

More A7IV stuff...

Last edited:
Fingers crossed the 24-70 GM II is released at the same time.

yeah I'd be interested in seeing how far they get. Their other mirrorless bodies still fall a wee bit short matching Sonys.
They certainly nicer to use than Sonys though.

I am not a fan of the large unnecessarily bloated body..... so I'd probably never buy it but still interested in seeing how well they do.
That’s the beauty of the A9’s and A1, top level bodies without the bulk. I’d imagine tech from the Z9 will filter down into the Z6’s and 7’s though.
The rumor site says a new 70-200mm f2.8 is coming...

More A7IV stuff...

Looking forward to seeing what the 70-200mm offers. Can’t see me swapping the Tamron for it though.

PS..
Just looked it up.

That post made me go and look, I paid £699 back in Dec 2015 for my a6000, body only and then I upgraded to the A7rii in April 16 where I paid £2599 as I wanted a better EVF.
If you want to compare upgrades, I was upgrading from a Pentax K30 which Id been using all my film era lenses on, That was my fist DSLR, before that I have a Canon Powershot G2 (4MP) which I absolutely loved, I only upgraded as the shutter finally failed on me. I went to a Canon Powershot S90 which I hated which led me to Pentax who I still have a very soft spot for, I fell in love with their film era A* and limited lenses. Then I moved to Sony as I hated the Pentax green button with manual lenses, the EVF on the a6000 had converted me, I felt it was a revelation..
To be fair, I have GAS, but if Im realistic, the only thing I think I want really is rock solid connectivity between the camera and my phone, especially for GPS as that drives me up the wall.
I wouldn't mind the new AF and menu system of the more modern Sony's, but it is hardly like I know what Im missing, it is still a much better camera than I am a photographer
I might ask for some lenses for my birthday unless the A7IV really impresses the socks off of everyone.

Thats enough waffling, back to my brandy :)

Last edited:
That’s the beauty of the A9’s and A1, top level bodies without the bulk. I’d imagine tech from the Z9 will filter down into the Z6’s and 7’s though.
Don't know about the Z9 but the funny thing is A9II's small FZ100 battery matches the large battery that goes into R3.
So much for all those people harping on about having a large body for bigger better battery life.

Add battery grip on the A9/A1 and you have twice the amount :p

Is that a liquid metal Terminator in the last picture?

Looks like it I must admit. :LOL: It's a rather large metallic, illuminated and sort of abstract man sculpture outside London Bridge Station and the main entrance area of the Shard. I thought I'd do a low down shot and take advantage of it.

Last edited:
I wanted to spend more time in London but it's difficult spending time away from commitments at home and Mrs WW was paranoid about missing the train so we didn't have long at all.

Back