The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Ahh I have the A9-II and IIRC the buttons are the same as the A7RIV, as is the grip. The big difference is the drive dial on the A9-II vs the R4.
The A9 and A7R IV are similar but the buttons are a bit bigger and more positive on the A&R IV. Shutter better but the big difference in use is the AF-On button which falls much nicer to the thumb.

Hi, need some help please Sony A9
I use the AEL button for BBF and the AF ON button when doing BIF.
When using the AEL button I am trying to set it so that the camera only takes one image at a time, I use manual mode 99% of the time for everything (Shutter, ISO, Aperture)
Anyone help out please?
Thankyou, Russ.
You can set that up using the custom settings recall memory I think it is called. So you could use AEL for single shot even if your dials are set differently. It is a brilliant feature so you just move your thumb if you are a back button shooter and you can get a whole set of different settings including shutter speed, iso, drive mode etc. Start in the custom button settings and you will find it there. I think you can actually set 3 different recalls for different buttons.

You can set that up using the custom settings recall memory I think it is called. So you could use AEL for single shot even if your dials are set differently. It is a brilliant feature so you just move your thumb if you are a back button shooter and you can get a whole set of different settings including shutter speed, iso, drive mode etc. Start in the custom button settings and you will find it there. I think you can actually set 3 different recalls for different buttons.
Yes you can, reg. custom hold. When you hold the button you've assigned for this is recalls all of the settings you placed, even overriding the drive settings on the drive dial.

I jumped from Nikon. I haven't fell in love with the A7R IV as I did my A9 but that is because I have been doing sport and have hardly taken a landscape. If you are shooting anything that doesn't involve fast moving objects it is brilliant. If you can get used to the EVF it is capable of fast moving objects too. I use the A9 so much it is hard to go back to a camera that isn't blackout free
Is the af better on the a9 then as I mainly do wildlife and I was informed the a7r IV af was good. I liked the size of the files to also give that extra crop factor.

Is the af better on the a9 then as I mainly do wildlife and I was informed the a7r IV af was good. I liked the size of the files to also give that extra crop factor.

I don't do wildlife but have found no af issues when using my a7riv for street photography of moving subjects when switching between my a7iii too.

The Northup's video of the A7 IV was leaked. Looks a decent camera and why hasn't that flippy screen been on more camera. Another good step up in ergonomic by the looks of it.

The Northup's video of the A7 IV was leaked. Looks a decent camera and why hasn't that flippy screen been on more camera. Another good step up in ergonomic by the looks of it.
can it do blackout free shooting?
and is it limited to 10fps in electronic shutter?

Hate flippy screens for photography, useless for the way I work the tilt on older bodies works much better for me.

Hate flippy screens for photography, useless for the way I work the tilt on older bodies works much better for me.
I'd rather have the Fuji solution but I like shooting low to the ground and I'll take every assistance I can get. I very rarely use them so the fragility isn't too much of a worry. You wouldn't think it was beyond the wit of man to have more options on a screen design. Might make more money for the manufacturers like extras on cars

It didn't look like it could do blackout free. That is a deal breaker for me now I am used to that way of shooting. The video has been uploaded elsewhere
some nice additions like being able to re-program the exposure comp dial and also separate switch for still and movie.
Wish those were on the A1 :(

otherwise a pretty disappointing camera tbh

Is the A7IV going to be announced today? Does anyone know what time?

PS.
I've bought something :D
And it's not a 50 year old lens :D

It's yet to arrive though so I can't play with it today.

Last edited:
3pm today - Im going to watch it, I was hoping for something better as I would have asked for it for my birthday next year. I think I might just give her a list of lenses instead and let her take her pick of those...

Have we not reached the stage where new camera's at this price point will only ever be incremental improvements whereas the good stuff goes to the flagships.

3pm today - Im going to watch it, I was hoping for something better as I would have asked for it for my birthday next year. I think I might just give her a list of lenses instead and let her take her pick of those...

Have we not reached the stage where new camera's at this price point will only ever be incremental improvements whereas the good stuff goes to the flagships.

I'll be out or busy but I'll try and catch some reviews later today and tomorrow.

I can't see myself buying an A7IV as my A7 is still working but I'll be interested to see what it is and learn who here is getting one, and why.

Does anyone know if the 4:2:2 10 bit video recording is internal?

Those new menus look amazing, much better than my a7r2, and the always on bluetooth might be good if their app is stable enough, it is a right pain getting the R2 to talk to the camera and keeping the connection and not dropping it constantly.
The a7S III release completely passed me by, I knew it happened but had no idea about the camera specs as it isn't a model line that Im interested in..

Last edited:
Here is hoping the a7iii drops in price now. I've been after one for a while as a compliment to my A9

You would hope so but I can't see it
I don’t see why not, the A9’s still have more processing power I believe so I can’t see a reason why it’s not possible, other than the fact it’s rare for Sony to bring out a meaningful firmware update ;)

Last edited:
I don’t see why not, the A9’s still have more processing power I believe so I can’t see a reason why it’s not possible, other than the fact it’s rare for Sony to bring out a meaningful firmware update ;)
That is why I think they won't. They have brought some good updates via firmware to cameras but it seems to be the exception. Hope they do though as that would mean I was even more content to let the A1 price drop before making the leap.

I'd have been mildly surprised if you'd said you were getting one.

I might get one before you.

Maybe.

:D
I bet you don't. I think you'll have the A7 until it breaks. From what you say about how you use it, it's basically perfect. Anything new words be worse as it's bigger.
I imagine the most useful feature would be the IBIS for your old lenses.

I notice the new camera has bird eye focus ... would be a nice firmware upgrade for the a9/a9II/RIV for us wildlife shooters.
those cameras still use the old processor and they did really give A9 a major update with fw v5.0.
I think you are the end of what that processor can do.

they have actually been good on firmware updates recently. They did give A9 a major firmware update.
they have been pretty bad on hardware updates more recently if you ask me.
its like they have picked up where canon left off :ROFLMAO:

I bet you don't. I think you'll have the A7 until it breaks. From what you say about how you use it, it's basically perfect. Anything new words be worse as it's bigger.
I imagine the most useful feature would be the IBIS for your old lenses.

There are things my A7 can't do. It can't shoot silently so I don't like using it in some locations and it's relatively slow to focus even with my fastest focusing lenses. These things mean keeping my MFT cameras for when the A7 is too intrusive or too slow.

IBS doesn't really bother me as I'm mostly using 50mm or shorter lenses and the shutter speeds at which IBS would help would cause issues as people and things move so the shutter speeds I need are those at which the lack of IBS isn't really a biggie.

Last edited:
Back