The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It makes you really appreciate how people did it in the film days.

I used to go to live music night with my Nikon SLR and kit lens and ISO 1,600 film. What saved the day really was that the prints were quite small and no one ever complained about either noise or motion blur. My first digital camera was a Fuji S602 pro zoom and that proved useless for anything except posed people shots as it was just so slow to meter, focus and shoot and MF was awful.

That's a shame, I hope he comes back. I've not done any photography for several weeks now, not really been inspired/motivated. It's not been helped by the fact I've been isolating for the past 10 days, but tbh with the way the weather's been I wouldn't have gone out anyway.

Hope you're coming out of it. My nephew and his family have all had the dreaded C19 but all have been ok and as of Monday are back at school and work. The little ones couldn't sleep the night before going back to school as they were so excited which I found nice as I was never ever and not once excited about school.

Yup. Deffo hope AM comes back under his own steam or can be prompted if anyone sees him on another forum.

I've been out a few times. Done a night sky shoot few woodlands. Bit of film shooting. Quite a bit of 'testing' as such with lenses and filters and comparisons and looks...... Spent a bit of time on YouTube and podcasts learning a few things etc

I also survived Christmas shopping in town with the missus on Saturday morning!!

I used to go to live music night with my Nikon SLR and kit lens and ISO 1,600 film. What saved the day really was that the prints were quite small and no one ever complained about either noise or motion blur. My first digital camera was a Fuji S602 pro zoom and that proved useless for anything except posed people shots as it was just so slow to meter, focus and shoot and MF was awful.
Used to use T-max 3200 pushed to 6400 or the real game changer was when Fuji 800 was released in the mid 90's. We shot it at 3200 and pulled the image back in photoshop, without push processing. Or even better, we went home early, if it was too dark. :)

I've been out a few times. Done a night sky shoot few woodlands. Bit of film shooting. Quite a bit of 'testing' as such with lenses and filters and comparisons and looks...... Spent a bit of time on YouTube and podcasts learning a few things etc

I also survived Christmas shopping in town with the missus on Saturday morning!!

Most of mine has been done online. I hardly go to town these days which is a shame but the local council pulled a master stroke when they decided to slap a fine on my most visited shop for daring to stay open and they closed soon after. It's now a big empty two storey space.

Used to use T-max 3200 pushed to 6400 or the real game changer was when Fuji 800 was released in the mid 90's. We shot it at 3200 and pulled the image back in photoshop, without push processing. Or even better, we went home early, if it was too dark. :)

That's interesting.

I used to drop my film off at the chemist.

:D

Most of mine has been done online. I hardly go to town these days which is a shame but the local council pulled a master stroke when they decided to slap a fine on my most visited shop for daring to stay open and they closed soon after. It's now a big empty two storey space.

Yeah, there's a few empty shops in Bristol too. I tend to go down there about once a year! It's not really the shopping side of it, more the amount of people and the queues.....

As the thread has been a bit quiet I was just wondering if people are busy or like me not getting out much but I spotted that Toni AKA Ancient Mariner may have decided not to visit the forum anymore and that IMO is a shame. I occasionally think forums are more trouble than they're worth so I can see why people might just not bother but I do think it's a shame when people feel that they don't want to post anymore. So I wonder if anyone comes across Toni anywhere maybe he could be persuaded to make a return? Even a return limited to more "friendly" threads like this one, I hope, mostly :D

There are a couple of others who haven't posted for a while but Toni seems to have left over a particular issue in another thread.

That's a shame, I had a lot of respect for Toni.

I suppose I've been quiet of late, as has my photography. I've been doing a lot of renovating at home and also work is frustratingly time consuming at the moment.

That's a shame, I had a lot of respect for Toni.

I suppose I've been quiet of late, as has my photography. I've been doing a lot of renovating at home and also work is frustratingly time consuming at the moment.

For me it's just the same old same old, ferrying Mrs WW to and from school and busy with duties at home.

Toni, IMO, posted consistently good pictures, some left field stuff and his comments about a picture of roses in another thread was moving and nothing short of poetic. Lets hope he makes an at least limited return and there is I think a lesson to be learned here, Be Nice :D

Hope you're coming out of it. My nephew and his family have all had the dreaded C19 but all have been ok and as of Monday are back at school and work. The little ones couldn't sleep the night before going back to school as they were so excited which I found nice as I was never ever and not once excited about school.

Yup. Deffo hope AM comes back under his own steam or can be prompted if anyone sees him on another forum.
Thanks. I never actually felt ill thankfully, just picked up on a routine lateral flow test.

The rumor site quotes and links to a DPR A7RIV Studio Scene...

Direct to the review...

Wot they say...

"The first thing that should be apparent is that the a7 IV's 33MP sensor can capture a lot of detail and, as we saw in our real-world samples, JPEG color that's directly comparable with the best of its peers. The higher pixel count, combined with Sony's JPEG sharpening makes more of the fine detail than its rivals. Moiré makes an appearance, but it's not overwhelming, which suggests there is an anti-aliasing filter, but perhaps not an especially aggressive one.

As we'd expect, the smaller pixels mean more noise if you view the images at full pixel resolution, but this difference is all but eliminated if you look at the images scaled to the same size. Push on to the higher ISO and the noise levels start to creep up, beyond the levels of its immediate rivals, though.

This additional noise can't solely be blamed on the pixel count, though, since it's a fraction noisier than some of its higher resolution peers. Overall this iss a good, but not ground-breaking, performance with detail capture appearing to be the a7 IV's strong suit."

It was interesting for me to compare the A7IV to my creaking old A7.

While I'm here, a couple more A7 and 24mm f2.8 G pictures of a muddy Locke Park, Redcar.

wrq1KXl.jpg

Mp0EhvP.jpg

Last edited:
Technical people..... Well, people more technical than me..... :ROFLMAO:

How many stops better is the A7iii vs the A7 for noise? And how about dynamic range please?

Or a link for me to understand...?

Ta

I've just downloaded the A7IV and A7 files at 6400 to have a look as the latest DNG will convert the new files.

How many stops better is the A7iii vs the A7 for noise? And how about dynamic range please?

Ta
I think it's negligible really. I've noticed no difference from my A7R to the A7C.

Just for fun. A7 at 6,400 and 100% then A7IV at 6,400 and 86%.

Ygf1Psf.jpg

xjI22BG.jpg

The A7 file is 20.3mb and the A7IV is 24.9mb. At 1,000 pixels across the 100% crops are 493kb and 450kb.

More, A7 then A7IV.

6IrWTEe.jpg

QffpzCI.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's negligible really. I've noticed no difference from my A7R to the A7C.

I was hoping that newer sensors may move things on a bit but maybe makers are hitting the limit of the technology and all they can do is fiddle with stack thickness, AA filter or not and in camera baked in NR and sharpening. And of course colours and as we know Sony colours are... or maybe not :D

Ta
I always use the site that woof woof has posted from, and if looking at cameras with different mp count I always use "comp" in the top corner rather than "full" as I believe this gives a more realistic real world example as you're going to be viewing at the same size.

When we start getting up to 6400 ISO and higher the A7IV looks just under a stop better than the A7 to my eyes. The A7 has a lot more chroma noise looking at this.

One thing with DPR's noise shots is the light is IMO unrealistic as why would you want to shoot at ISO 6,400 with a shutter speed of 1/2,500?

I may be wrong but I think that for a more realistic idea of what's going on the test shots should be set up so that the ISO is more real world and related to the amount of light available. I'm not really interested in high ISO pictures taken with shutter speeds I'm never going to use that ISO at. I'd find ISO 6,400 at 1/160 more interesting as that's more like what I'd use that ISO for, maintaining an acceptable shutter speed.

When we start getting up to 6400 ISO and higher the A7IV looks just under a stop better than the A7 to my eyes. The A7 has a lot more chroma noise looking at this.

Yup, that's what I thought but it is difficult to compare as the noise in the A7IV picture should be finer because the pixels are smaller.

One thing with DPR's noise shots is the light is IMO unrealistic as why would you want to shoot at ISO 6,400 with a shutter speed of 1/2,500?

I may be wrong but I think that for a more realistic idea of what's going on the test shots should be set up so that the ISO is more real world and related to the amount of light available. I'm not really interested in high ISO pictures taken with shutter speeds I'm never going to use that ISO at. I'd find ISO 6,400 at 1/160 more interesting as that's more like what I'd use that ISO for, maintaining an acceptable shutter speed.
That's why I use the low light example, at 6400 ISO the shutter speed is 1/20 (y)

I never even noticed that. I'm off to look! :D

I see they've used different lenses.

Last edited:
I've been think what I'd gain if going for a newer camera...

Joystick.
Quicker and better focus. Eye AF and whatever.
Silent shooting.
Better battery life.

Reduced sensor reflections. I've seen this in pictures but no one away from the internet has ever commented.
Slightly better higher ISO.
Slightly better DR? Maybe at higher ISO's.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'll have a better look on the PC a bit later rather than squinting at the phone with my contact lenses in :ROFLMAO:

I'm thinking next year anyway. I'm also thinking better ISO for night skies and maybe AF for family shots. Originally I would keep the A7 so I could shoot star trails with that and Milky Way or whatever with the iii but I've just been trying out star trails with the film camera so...... It depends whether I want the challenge (or failure) of that or 200 digital files to edit and stack...... :snaphappy:

I've been think what I'd gain if going for a newer camera...

Joystick.
Quicker and better focus. Eye AF and whatever.
Silent shooting.
Better battery life.

Reduced sensor reflections. I've seen this in pictures but no one away from the internet has ever commented.
Slightly better higher ISO.
Slightly better DR? Maybe at higher ISO's.
As you’ve already alluded to sensor performance isn’t really advancing at great rates so it is more about features and autofocus as the reason to upgrade imo.

I’ve never heard of sensor reflections but can hazard a guess what the cause is.

As you’ve already alluded to sensor performance isn’t really advancing at great rates so it is more about features and autofocus as the reason to upgrade imo.

I’ve never heard of sensor reflections but can hazard a guess what the cause is.

The reflections are a feature of the MK1's I think. I think they cured it with the later cameras.

I think this is it.

R5PYZpU.jpg

There's a thread here...

Better eye/face detect would be nice as when the face is smaller in the frame my A7 won't lock on plus it is generally slow so a more responsive camera might be nice and in fact this is one reason why I still use MFT, because the cameras are lightening fast compared to my A7. Silent shooting would be nice too.

Last edited:
From what I remember it was maybe lens dependent too with the 35mm f2.8 being a culprit. Or maybe not. But I'm pretty sure I've read that it happens more with some lenses.

Just booted off Photoshop as these are fraudulent subscriptions. Should have really known as it was too good to be true. Expensive mistake as I bought the year's worth. Paypal used to pay so I have put in for a refund.
Were you able to continue with a regular subscription ?

Just booted off Photoshop as these are fraudulent subscriptions. Should have really known as it was too good to be true. Expensive mistake as I bought the year's worth. Paypal used to pay so I have put in for a refund.
Who did you buy off, I wonder if some are okay and others not so much. Mines still fine.

Back