The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Also if you use DNG converter you only have Adobe colour profiles instead of your supported camera profile.
I can still use camera and color fidelity profiles with DNG (y)

That's because you probably have the latest LR.

The older version will not have colour profiles for latest cameras
Ahh I see what you mean. Yeah it will only have the colour profiles for the most up to date camera for that software. Just a thought though, could you not still use the color fidelity ones of you bought those for your specific camera?

Ahh I see what you mean. Yeah it will only have the colour profiles for the most up to date camera for that software. Just a thought though, could you not still use the color fidelity ones of you bought those for your specific camera?
yes you can add your own colour profiles.
You can also download and add lens profiles (which are automatically updated if you have subscription but can be manually downloaded and added too)

My Mac is now an M1 MBA, and I'm not sure of LR6 runs on it. Would be great if so - I should go and check...

LR6 will not run on an M1 - there are parts of the software that are 32bit.

Thinking I might try On1 instead of Lightroom, try to cut costs. Anyone else use it?

I have LR6 and Photoraw 2021. The plan had been to migrate across the PR2021 at the end of last year, but there were too many problem. My catalogue is around 50,000 images, and on a fast PC it took 3 days to complete the AI migration, only for all the migrated images not to appear as they did in LR and to also be troubled by slowdowns and continual locks and crashes. The raw image handling is OK for straight colour images, but throw something difficult at it, like weird coloured lights and extremes of light and dark (I shot a retirement in an indoor 'junkyard golf' establishment) and it threw artefacts all over the place that LR simply didn't have. It's the perfect add-on for older copies of LR, doing panos, stacking and brilliant noise reduction, but I'd say the raw handling is distinctly less good than 3 or 4 years ago and image export isn't great either.

I like PR, but compared to LR6 it just doesn't feel ready for the big time, nor does it work as well as it did in the past for basic image development.

FWIW LR6 will handle raw files from the A7RIII but NOT the A7III. :(

Due to the colour profile discussion above I just did this out of curiosity, not sure how well it will show on here but here's some different profiles. Top left - Colour Fidelity Standard, Top right - Adobe Standard, Bottom left - camera standard, Bottom right - camera neutral. I don't think I can go back to Sony profiles.

Screenshot 2022-03-04 at 07.58.06 by TDG-77, on Flickr

First time I have been frustrated with the Tamron 70-180mm today. It usually does a good job and although I am thinking of upgrading to the new Sony I wasn't in a great hurry. The scenario was shooting from behind the goals with the penalty box in shade and the stand behind in sunlight. I shot my usual settings of medium box, tracking, eye focus on and stickiness on 3. Perhaps more than half the time the focus just jumped to the lit background. I ended up just pre focusing when there was a corner as I just couldn't trust it. Any suggestions or do I need to get the credit card out. All I could think was to turn the tracking off but it really helps with composition.

First time I have been frustrated with the Tamron 70-180mm today. It usually does a good job and although I am thinking of upgrading to the new Sony I wasn't in a great hurry. The scenario was shooting from behind the goals with the penalty box in shade and the stand behind in sunlight. I shot my usual settings of medium box, tracking, eye focus on and stickiness on 3. Perhaps more than half the time the focus just jumped to the lit background. I ended up just pre focusing when there was a corner as I just couldn't trust it. Any suggestions or do I need to get the credit card out. All I could think was to turn the tracking off but it really helps with composition.
Doesn’t sound good. The only thing I can liken it to and an issue I’ve had with all Sonys is shooting my dog with the tracking. Her face is black with little contrast and I find tracking jumps to her body (which is light tan) when she runs towards the camera.

I’d check it’s definitely a camera ‘quirk’ rather than the lens. Maybe the camera can’t find the eyes so we’ll in low contrast and thinks something brighter is the eyes?

A7 III + AF45mm f1.8 Samyang from Saturday.

Chris by Rohan, on Flickr

Snakey by Rohan, on Flickr

SpyTap by Rohan, on Flickr

I've just bought a mint, used Samyang 45mm f1.8 from SRS Microsystems at a very good price.
I must say I'm really delighted with it, sharp as a tack and renders beautifully.
I assume you're pleased with yours, as the results look good?

I've just bought a mint, used Samyang 45mm f1.8 from SRS Microsystems at a very good price.
I must say I'm really delighted with it, sharp as a tack and renders beautifully.
I assume you're pleased with yours, as the results look good?

Yes very pleased with mine, I now have the AF35mm f1.8-AF75mm f1.8 and now the AF45mm f1.8 I use them mostly for my jazz shots, but for every other thing they are great to use.

Has anyone seen any decent reviews comparing the 70-200mm f2.8 GM II with 2xtc vs the 100-400mm GM in terms of IQ and AF? It’s extremely rare I use a TC on the 100-400mm so am wondering if I could ditch the Tamron 70-180mm and Sony 100-400mm in favour of the new 70-200mm plus TC.

Has anyone seen any decent reviews comparing the 70-200mm f2.8 GM II with 2xtc vs the 100-400mm GM in terms of IQ and AF? It’s extremely rare I use a TC on the 100-400mm so am wondering if I could ditch the Tamron 70-180mm and Sony 100-400mm in favour of the new 70-200mm plus TC.

I've never heard anyone say anything good about the 2x apart from on the big primes.

the only comparison I have seen is the brief one by Gerald undone
View: https://youtu.be/ar18ZtmHLxk?t=423

Seems like its not as sharp as 100-400mm at 400mm. Not really a surprise tbh!

the only comparison I have seen is the brief one by Gerald undone
View: https://youtu.be/ar18ZtmHLxk?t=423

Seems like its not as sharp as 100-400mm at 400mm. Not really a surprise tbh!
I've never heard anyone say anything good about the 2x apart from on the big primes.
That was my suspicion tbh, but you never know unless you ask ;)

I’ve not seen anywhere in the U.K. have stock yet so it’s going to be a while before the price comes down :(

That was my suspicion tbh, but you never know unless you ask ;)

I’ve not seen anywhere in the U.K. have stock yet so it’s going to be a while before the price comes down :(
I don't remember where I saw it (may be on SAR) but it apparently won't ship properly till June 22

I found this interesting...

It's incredible how they fit so much tech in such a small space! I'm still very tempted with the A1, but after filling up the tank this evening at a teeth gritting £1.70 per litre (which is up from £1.63 a few days ago!!!) it may have a wait until things settle down.

It's incredible how they fit so much tech in such a small space! I'm still very tempted with the A1, but after filling up the tank this evening at a teeth gritting £1.70 per litre (which is up from £1.63 a few days ago!!!) it may have a wait until things settle down.
supposedly just a start, some "expert" on radio said it will go up to £2 :(:eek:

supposedly just a start, some "expert" on radio said it will go up to £2 :(:eek:

I heard that as well on the radio! Feels like they will aim for that value now that it has been said, almost like we are being conditioned! haha

I heard that as well on the radio! Feels like they will aim for that value now that it has been said, almost like we are being conditioned! haha

Things like that never settle down. Remember the strikes etc when it hit a quid a litre.....?

I don't remember where I saw it (may be on SAR) but it apparently won't ship properly till June 22
Wow, that's poor. Most UK sites are saying stock expected end March :thinking: Panamoz/E-infin might be the only option if I want it for Goodwood then.

Wow, that's poor. Most UK sites are saying stock expected end March :thinking: Panamoz/E-infin might be the only option if I want it for Goodwood then.
Looks like they do have it in stock!
Apparently it's due to the chip shortages.

This is the reason why I grey imported last time, because UK sellers were like 2 months behind on acquiring the camera I needed.
I even told my LCE contact whom I normally buy from, he was p***ed off with Sony too

If anyone finds any sample images of the new 70-200mm f2.8 GM II of full length portraits along the lines of these please can you share them on here? I'd like to gauge the 'superimposed' look of the new lens (y)

DSC_1947 by TDG-77, on Flickr

NZ7_0681-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

I have given the A7RIV plenty of abuse in this thread for its short comings, even though I have owned one myself previously and now have the A7RIVa.

I had a bit of a gap of weddings there over Jan/Feb, we purposely didn't book any as it's been a bit soul destroying over the last couple of years with all the Covid cancellations. As it turned out we should have just booked away as there wouldn't of been any cancellations but in the end it worked out well as we needed the break. It also gave me a bit of a chance to shoot some stuff just for myself and I have often found myself reaching for the A7RIV. Just purely because I can use a prime lens like a zoom with the ability to crop till the cows come home.

Weddings are back on again for us and we have shot 3 since the start of the month and now with a new found love for the A7RIV, I have been using it a lot more that I had last year were we just basically used it for macro and very occasionally with the 135mm when we needed a long lens. Over the last 3 weddings I have used it a lot more. I have been using it during getting ready with the 24mm GM, which basically as well as letting me shoot at 24mm, I can just crop to 35mm and 50mm points of view and it has been working great for that as there isn't anything too fast paced. I have also still been using it with the macro for details during getting ready. I have also been using it a lot during the speeches with the 85mm G.M and it's been working great for that as well. Often find myself having to crop images from the speeches heavily as I like to stay out of the way and there is often a lot of unwanted distractions on the tables. Using the A7RIV with the 85mm lets me do just that and I can crop away distractions without any major loss of I.Q.

Just thought I would mention as it's often easy to rip something to pieces because it isn't good in some areas and I have been guilty of that. The A7RIV major issues being not as good a.f as the A9 etc. but using it in a different way for different things has made me really like the camera now and I never really thought I would hear myself say that, Don't get me wrong I still don't think its a great camera for everything at a wedding as the A9's do a much better job for the rest of the day but it does excel and have an advantage in some areas.

Yeah I guess you could say I could just use one of the other bodies with a zoom lens, but that would mean changing lenses regularly so I could still use the primes when I wanted them and I rarely have the time to do that.

Last edited:
Back