The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I paid £2600 on here for my A9ii and sold it a month ago to my local store for £2600.
I find if you import then you can usually sell it for within £100 of what you paid for it but as someone else said, I paid close to retail on my A7iv despite importing but I love this camera and will likely keep it a while.

I paid £1800 on here for my A9 12 months ago and sold it on Ebay for £1875 last week. (fees of £40)

Waiting to see if Sony bring out a A7RV, if it's any good then I will have to buy another 200-600mm :banghead:

I paid £1800 on here for my A9 12 months ago and sold it on Ebay for £1875 last week. (fees of £40)

Waiting to see if Sony bring out a A7RV, if it's any good then I will have to buy another 200-600mm :banghead:
Always wait for their 80% off fees before selling on there, it hurts otherwise lol

Paying uk retail prices is what kills it imo, I learnt the hard way a few years ago paying £2500 for a 70-200.
The 50mm F1.2 is a good example. I’m so close to ordering one, imported £1650, buy here £2099 yet selling them on makes no real difference.
These days with lenses I just buy them rather than renting them as I know I can sell them on for just about what I paid.
I’ve lost out whether buying grey or used, obviously not as much but still lost.

I’m sure they will bring one out, it’s just a matter of when. I hope Sony start putting better rear screens on and sort the EVF’s out, it’s the only thing that lets them down now.

Got a link that seems really cheap.

Search Amazon for Lexar Pro 1667 128gb

screenshot- Here they are Rob

Link- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexar-Professional-1667x-128GB-UHS-II/dp/B07SZ3GCC6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=FO91TAWQCBSO&keywords=lexar+professional+sd+card&qid=1651686718&sprefix=Lexar,aps,106&sr=8-3&th=1

O9wIYF5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A9 can’t write at 300mbs anyway from memory it’s tops out at about 180mbs.

Card Slot 2 is also only UHS-I so if you are writing to both simultaneously that will slow things down as well.
Didn’t know that, I have the A9-II and don’t know what that is either. I just naively assumed cameras could write faster than cards :exit:

Didn’t know that, I have the A9-II and don’t know what that is either. I just naively assumed cameras could write faster than cards :exit:

The A9II does write much faster think it tops out at about 285mbs again just from memory.

There are very few cameras that support the full capability of what is available on cards these days.

Even in the DSLR era for example a lot of Nikons could only write at around 45mbs, so it was often a waste of time buying high speed cards.

Last edited:
I do mine 1,000 pixels on the long side and that's usually ok although sometimes I have to save as quality 10 in CS5 rather than 12.

PS.
I like the colour treatment, doesn't have to record reality :D

A9 can’t write at 300mbs anyway from memory it’s tops out at about 180mbs.

Card Slot 2 is also only UHS-I so if you are writing to both simultaneously that will slow things down as well.
Thanks for the info Tommy, I only write to card slot 1 and use Slot 2 two as and if card 1 fills up :) which so far has never got to that point

Ps I have now sourced an SD card of 128Gb write speed of up to 250Mbs and read speed of 300Mbs-

SD UHS-II 128GB Card V90 –Up to 250MB/s Write Speed and 300 MB/s Read Speed​

Mp1jezF.jpg

£140.62- I am hoping this will be better- I have returned the other card to Amazon :)

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Tommy, I only write to card slot 1 and use Slot 2 two as and if card 1 fills up :) which so far has never got to that point

Ps I have now sourced an SD card of 128Gb write speed of up to 250Mbs and read speed of 300Mbs-

SD UHS-II 128GB Card V90 –Up to 250MB/s Write Speed and 300 MB/s Read Speed​

Mp1jezF.jpg

£140.62- I am hoping this will be better- I have returned the other card to Amazon :)

Les

To be honest you won't see hardly any difference. The A9 can't write at 250mbs, the other card you had bought would have been nearly as good. I just looked it up there and the A9's maximum write speed is under a 147mbs. The other card was 120mbs, there isn't much difference between 120mbs and 147mbs.

I would probably return the more expensive card and just get the one you had bought because of the cost difference when you are getting very little extra for your money.

Even the A9II can only write at a max of 185mbs.Just looked it up there as well.

Tagging @snerkler in this just because we were talking about it yesterday.

Last edited:
To be honest you won't see hardly any difference. The A9 can't write at 250mbs, the other card you had bought would have been nearly as good. I just looked it up there and the A9's maximum write speed is under a 150mbs. The other card was 120mbs, there isn't much difference between 120mbs and 150mbs.

I would probably return the more expensive card and just get the one you had bought originally.
Ok I think that could be an option Thank you :)

I do mine 1,000 pixels on the long side and that's usually ok although sometimes I have to save as quality 10 in CS5 rather than 12.

PS.
I like the colour treatment, doesn't have to record reality :D

The trend at the moment on social media sites is moody, darker images.
Which is ok, however it becomes more about the preset rather than the story of the image and technique used to get the image !

The trend at the moment on social media sites is moody, darker images.
Which is ok, however it becomes more about the preset rather than the story of the image and technique used to get the image !

I was looking at a B&W picture yesterday, very dark, crushed blacks, next to no detail and a far cry from the reality of the scene. It did absolutely nothing for me at all but the comments were very positive.

I suppose there's room for all tastes as demonstrated by the comments we see. One highly processed highly stylised picture may be losing all connection to the observed reality but be praised while another might get comments about over saturation or blown highlights.

I was looking at a B&W picture yesterday, very dark, crushed blacks, next to no detail and a far cry from the reality of the scene. It did absolutely nothing for me at all but the comments were very positive.

I suppose there's room for all tastes as demonstrated by the comments we see. One highly processed highly stylised picture may be losing all connection to the observed reality but be praised while another might get comments about over saturation or blown highlights.
It’s very rare I do ‘arty’ processing, usually I try and convey the colours etc as naturally as possible, and if I do a mono then there’s nothing fancy to it. I do like some of the arty processing, but it has to match the scene/subject for me.

It’s very rare I do ‘arty’ processing, usually I try and convey the colours etc as naturally as possible, and if I do a mono then there’s nothing fancy to it. I do like some of the arty processing, but it has to match the scene/subject for me.

As you will know I do very little processing, partly because I mostly like a more natural or just slightly arty look, partly because I can't be bothered doing more and partly because I can't do a lot of processing :D

As above, there's room for all tastes.

Kai gets excited about a Pentax 50mm f1.2. Shame the light is so poor.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KshCDM9BCBs

I have a Rokkor 50mm f1.2 and it's a nice lens, you can get funky bokeh with some subjects and scenes but it does IMO also give a very nice look with some subjects and scenes and retains a nice and slightly different look when stopped down too.

Maybe everyone has seen this already...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DULyGxSAA8U

Watching this convinces me that I don't want to wander around town with kit like that. I suppose in places used to tourists it's less of an issue and maybe not unusual to see people with kit like that but I just wouldn't feel comfortable wandering around any local town with that sort of kit. Good luck to those who are comfortable with kit like that in town.

Maybe everyone has seen this already...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DULyGxSAA8U

Watching this convinces me that I don't want to wander around town with kit like that. I suppose in places used to tourists it's less of an issue and maybe not unusual to see people with kit like that but I just wouldn't feel comfortable wandering around any local town with that sort of kit. Good luck to those who are comfortable with kit like that in town.
I don't feel comfortable carrying any gear in my town, you don't see many people taking photos at all.

I don't feel comfortable carrying any gear in my town, you don't see many people taking photos at all.

I once made a dawn raid to the town centre take some pictures and that was ok as the only people about were pulling suitcases and either heading to or coming from the station.

It is strange how tastes change and 'Art' is very subjective and I can not tell if one of my images is good or not regarding other peoples taste !
I do like processing my images as fine art as I am hoping to sell in the future and at the same time the original version is the record of that moment in time.
i suppose the real test is to produce 'The Look' of an image in camera you want with very little Post editing ! !

an example

As you will know I do very little processing, partly because I mostly like a more natural or just slightly arty look, partly because I can't be bothered doing more and partly because I can't do a lot of processing :D

As above, there's room for all tastes.

I was very like you with editing as many years ago I did not own LightRoom or Photoshop. All I used was Google Picasa and MS paint !
Once I got LR it was as if I had been set free ! !

this is my site of images of which some have been post processed

I would keen to know your opinion

T

T

I can't claim to have looked at them all but of the ones I saw, I think they're very good, outstanding even.

With some you've obviously gone beyond a strictly accurate capture for dramatic and artistic effect but I think you've done it pretty much sympathetically. If that makes sense.

The glamour pictures are lovely too. I wish I could get Mrs WW to pose for some pictures but unfortunately she wont strike any pose which she'd think "sexy" as such things are IHO low class and frowned upon :D It's a cultural thing I suppose.

A while back I posted a picture here and the feedback from one was that they thought it was the best picture I'd ever posted, it was also the most processed picture I'd ever posted. Going that far is usually not for me. As always good luck to those who go the extra mile but I'm happy to be a happy snapper and have no real aspirations beyond that :D

On the rumor site...

That does look to be a very compact lens.

Is anyone getting one?

As I've said many times, I had a Sigma 12-24mm in my Canon DSLR days and I loved it, for a while it was my most used lens. 16mm isn't 12 of course but it's still very wide.

Last edited:
Too expensive and not enough difference over my current 16-35mm f4.

I keep thinking of getting a wide zoom but although there are times when I do miss that Sigma 12-24mm I probably wont and I doubt this could replace my 20mm f1.8 as one of the reasons I bought that was in the hope I'd get to use it for the northern lights one day, and f4 might not be enough for that.

I was just surprised to see it in someone's hand, it looks very compact.

It is strange how tastes change and 'Art' is very subjective and I can not tell if one of my images is good or not regarding other peoples taste !
I do like processing my images as fine art as I am hoping to sell in the future and at the same time the original version is the record of that moment in time.
i suppose the real test is to produce 'The Look' of an image in camera you want with very little Post editing ! !

an example

I was very like you with editing as many years ago I did not own LightRoom or Photoshop. All I used was Google Picasa and MS paint !
Once I got LR it was as if I had been set free ! !

this is my site of images of which some have been post processed

T
Some cracking images there. I wouldn’t say the processing is my taste but I do think it’s the kind of thing that would sell.

I’ve always fancied doing something like the retro pinup girls on the planes, was this a session day type thing that you went to? If so are you willing to share the details please?

I keep thinking of getting a wide zoom but although there are times when I do miss that Sigma 12-24mm I probably wont and I doubt this could replace my 20mm f1.8 as one of the reasons I bought that was in the hope I'd get to use it for the northern lights one day, and f4 might not be enough for that.

I was just surprised to see it in someone's hand, it looks very compact.
I’m not sure I’d want something as wide as 12mm, 16mm seems to serve me well.

I’m not sure I’d want something as wide as 12mm, 16mm seems to serve me well.

It is a bit niche but it also gives a distinctive look. I think these wide lenses are some of the most difficult to use well as you need to really think and really see the picture you'll take when you press the button. I think using that lens taught me a bit and it did make me think and I still look at pictures I took with that lens.

I have a 17mm film era lens so I can imagine what 16mm will be like, and it is pretty wide.

Some cracking images there. I wouldn’t say the processing is my taste but I do think it’s the kind of thing that would sell.

I’ve always fancied doing something like the retro pinup girls on the planes, was this a session day type thing that you went to? If so are you willing to share the details please?

Which / type of processing is not your taste as I am keen to gauge peoples reaction for editing in the future ! ?

The pin Up War Birds shoot was at North Weald Aerodrome, Essex. I do not think there is another organised shoot this year !

This is the compnay I booked with and I have included a page of Just Jane Shoot for later this year

Last edited:
Which / type of processing is not your taste as I am keen to gauge peoples reaction for editing in the future ! ?

The pin Up War Birds shoot was at North Weald Aerodrome, Essex. I do not think there is another organised shoot this year !

This is the compnay I booked with and I have included a page of Just Jane Shoot for later this year
Thanks for the info, Essex is a bit too far but I'll look to see if there's anything closer. I don't even know how to find these kinds of things :facepalm:

As I mentioned before I tend to prefer the more natural looking photos over heavily processed ones, but it's just preference (y)

Back