The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Extra 2.5k for double the res, 30 fps and some of the other toys like the ability to match shutter speed for banding will be well worth it for many.

Not for me though. Would rather use that 2,5k for additional body.

Plus realistically you need the new cards so more cost. Then on top of that additional cost for p.c upgrade which I shudder to think what that would be and my main editing workstation cost over 3.5k without a monitor. I don't think even it could handle the amount of files from an A1 if I was using it in the same way as the A9's. Plus I would prob need at least 3 of them.
Yep there are certainly a number of extras, just not convinced it’s worth £2.5k YMMV

The files would actually be easier to manage than the A7RIV (especially with lossless compression on the A1) so I’m not sure a PC upgrade is vital. IIRC lossless compressed A1 raws are around 60mb.

Yep there are certainly a number of extras, just not convinced it’s worth £2.5k YMMV

The files would actually be easier to manage than the A7RIV (especially with lossless compression on the A1) so I’m not sure a PC upgrade is vital. IIRC lossless compressed A1 raws are around 60mb.

I never use compression slows things down way to much once the files are in Lightroom.

The A7RIV files are no problem as there is never a lot of them. If I was replacing our A9's with A1's the file sizes due to the amount of files would be a huge problem.

I never use compression slows things down way to much once the files are in Lightroom.

The A7RIV files are no problem as there is never a lot of them. If I was replacing our A9's with A1's the file sizes due to the amount of files would be a huge problem.
I’ve never noticed compression affecting LR :oops: :$

In the last week or so I've been looking in the various image threads and lots of the pictures are just stunning and they're making me want a long lens :D I do miss the Sigma 150mm f2.8 but being honest I'm not sure how much I'd use a long lens now.

Compressed files run slower. For a few images even a couple of hundred not so bad when you have a couple of thousand though it’s a pain.
I always shoot sports compressed so do have thousands at times. I’m not saying it’s not the case, just I’ve not noticed (y)

Going through my flickr this morning, I didn't realise at the time how meaningful this photo would become for me. Boris had just announced that we would be going into lockdown at midnight that night and like so many people we took the opportunity to go out for the last time before the world inconceivably changed, this is where we chose to spend the last few hours of 'freedom'. At the time I never thought we'd still be affected by COVID over 2 years down the line :(

A7R02188 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Last edited:
You seem to take an awful lot of slanted images. Is there a reason why? Or do you just prefer that?

For the cake shot the usual rule would be for brides hand to be on top of grooms. (left hand so you can see the rings)

Example from a recent wedding. Think that was with the 50GM as well.

View attachment 353542

Was second shooting this, but it’s not something that I feel is necessary.

I shoot at an angle to fill the frame, corners and make use of leading lines on diagonals - i prefer compositions this way if they support it. I shoot this way, not done in post.

I shoot at an angle to fill the frame, corners and make use of leading lines on diagonals - i prefer compositions this way if they support it. I shoot this way, not done in post.

And it's not down to beer or one leg being shorter than the other? :D

Only kidding, I know it's deliberate :D

For some reason I can't work out I often get slightly and visibly wonky shots with my A7, when correcting them they might only be off 1.x% or so which isn't much but it's visible and they're off but with my RF style MFT cameras I'm much more likely to get them visibly level.

Yeah I thought it looked second shot from the images, based on the angles.

My missus used to shoot that way too but think I have managed to beat it out of her. :D

Each to there own and all that just not my style and she needs to match me.

How did you find your wedding? Were you able to put some of the anxiety to the side?

I’ve never noticed compression affecting LR :oops: :$
Me neither, going to depend a lot on the hardware people have though. Zero issue with close to 20k worth of photos.

a lot less anxious when it comes to second shooting, for one, I don't have to give any thought to the couples shots!
I'd like to have a go at second shooting, but I've not actively pushed it (yet). I don't think any money could tempt me to be a main wedding tog though ;)

I'd like to have a go at second shooting, but I've not actively pushed it (yet). I don't think any money could tempt me to be a main wedding tog though ;)

You would like to have a go at being treated like a dogs body for 12 hours for what amounts to beer tokens?

Last edited:
Something other than a night sky for a change!!

I bought my then wife a baby blue colour one of those, is that the original colour?

Not to start yet another car thread on here but I often wonder what the total value of the Ford cars I have had would be today.]

3.0ltr Capri, 2.8ltr Capri, Xr3i Cabriolet, MKI RS Turbo, MKII RS Turbo, XR4i .... never quite managed a Cosworth. My wife also had a couple of Ford KA's, one was a cabriolet and out of all those cars there they were actually the most fun to drive.

I bought my then wife a baby blue colour one of those, is that the original colour?

Not to start yet another car thread on here but I often wonder what the total value of the Ford cars I have had would be today.]

3.0ltr Capri, 2.8ltr Capri, Xr3i Cabriolet, MKI RS Turbo, MKII RS Turbo, XR4i .... never quite managed a Cosworth. My wife also had a couple of Ford KA's, one was a cabriolet and out of all those cars there they were actually the most fun to drive.

It's pretty close to the original colour, should be a touch lighter ;)

I paid £100 for this in the mid 90's.

Random question…
I’ve had my A7r iv for quite a while - but have never sussed out if possible in playback mode - to move from one image to the next while zoomed in ? Seems like a pretty basic thing to do - the custom keys in playback seem quite limiting in ability to assign much.
I’ve got quite a long trip planned without a laptop and would be nice to easily check/compare focus on images - so can delete/keep as I go.

Random question…
I’ve had my A7r iv for quite a while - but have never sussed out if possible in playback mode - to move from one image to the next while zoomed in ? Seems like a pretty basic thing to do - the custom keys in playback seem quite limiting in ability to assign much.
I’ve got quite a long trip planned without a laptop and would be nice to easily check/compare focus on images - so can delete/keep as I go.
Yes you can, use the rear dial to move one image at a time and the front dial to move 10 images at a time. The RIV is quite slow to move from one image to the other at 1:1 though, I found it a bit frustrating TBH.

One other frustration with Sony is that if you delete images it only deletes from one card, so if like me to write to both cards it’s a waste of time if you’re trying to free up space.

Last edited:
Yes you can, use the rear dial to move one image at a time and the front dial to move 10 images at a time. The RIV is quite slow to move from one image to the other at 1:1 though, I found it a bit frustrating TBH.

One other frustration with Sony is that if you delete images it only deletes from one card, so if like me to write to both cards it’s a waste of time if you’re trying to free up space.
Dohhhh… Ahhh yep - it’s soo slow I didn’t even notice it was moving
Always wondered what jump image meant for the front dial as as set to ratings - can also be set to 1 image at a time - bit more friendly on the hands - but yep - very very slow
Thanks - dumb question of the day answered!

Has anyone use the 1.4 TC in combination with a Sony a9 +200-600mm ?

Back