The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Went to Cadwell for the BSB yesterday, wasn't my best day photography wise to say the least due to a combination of the weather, my lack of familiarity with the circuit, and simply just not 'feeling it' yesterday but here's the best of what I got

A9_02713 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_02903 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_04163-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_04397 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_04479-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_03456-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_04624-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr
Great set of pics even if you weren’t feeling it.

Is it me or has the been a few “best” portrait lenses recently?

They are struggling for content with nothing of interest having been released for some time.

Also to be fair the video isn't wrong the 135GM is a special lens, although like the video also says, for most it will have limited use.

Also Manny is dead annoying, just as well his missus is smoking hot.

I have the 85mm 1.8 and find it quite limited to use indoors unless you have a lot of space to back up :rolleyes:

With so many internet reviewers out there you're bound to get the same topics cropping up from them from time to time.
Agreed, but what I meant is I'm sure I've seen videos from Manny himself saying "this is the best portrait lens".

I guess they have to use attention grabbing titles to get interest but I just wish they'd just say something like "top class portrait lens" rather than "the best" as it just puts me off from the get go. Still, he's nowhere near as bad as the Northrups for things like this one week 'this' camera is the best ever, the next week it's rubbish and another camera is the best ever :rolleyes:

So further thoughts on the Samyang 135 now I've had the chance to use it a bit more.

I actually love using this lens, the separation it gives, is lovely. Autofocus is not the best, but with that said most of the time for when I use this I've got static subjects. I love shooting backlit, especially in the early evening. I forgot to put the lens hood on for a couple of images and those photos are a right off. Nasty red flare going through the entire image that made them unusable.

But with the hood on and the sun behind the subject, I'm really enjoying the output.

Would I like the 135GM? Yeah definitely, the better AF would be awesome to have. Am I going to buy one? No. Double the price for a lens with a relatively limited use case just doesn't make sense. The 50 1.2 GM however....... Anyway, here's a couple of photos from the 135.

Crown Lodge by Tim G, on Flickr

So further thoughts on the Samyang 135 now I've had the chance to use it a bit more.

I actually love using this lens, the separation it gives, is lovely. Autofocus is not the best, but with that said most of the time for when I use this I've got static subjects. I love shooting backlit, especially in the early evening. I forgot to put the lens hood on for a couple of images and those photos are a right off. Nasty red flare going through the entire image that made them unusable.

But with the hood on and the sun behind the subject, I'm really enjoying the output.

Would I like the 135GM? Yeah definitely, the better AF would be awesome to have. Am I going to buy one? No. Double the price for a lens with a relatively limited use case just doesn't make sense. The 50 1.2 GM however....... Anyway, here's a couple of photos from the 135.

Lovely light on those (y)

I'm seriously tempted to get the new Samyang 85mm f1.4 FE II to replace my Sigma. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Sigma other than size and weight, I do scrape my knuckles a lot on the lens. Early reports suggest the Samyang is as good as the Sigma, and then you have the advantage of it being 120g lighter. I'm really happy with the 50mm FE II so no doubt I'd be with the 85mm FE II. The only trouble is I'm not being offered as much as I'd hoped for the sigma.

Lovely light on those (y)

I'm seriously tempted to get the new Samyang 85mm f1.4 FE II to replace my Sigma. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Sigma other than size and weight, I do scrape my knuckles a lot on the lens. Early reports suggest the Samyang is as good as the Sigma, and then you have the advantage of it being 120g lighter. I'm really happy with the 50mm FE II so no doubt I'd be with the 85mm FE II. The only trouble is I'm not being offered as much as I'd hoped for the sigma.

I don't have the same problem with my knuckles with the Sigma. But the thing does look pretty beaten up whereas my other lenses don't. It's probably worth peanuts now, but I still use it so much. Only comes off the camera for the 135 to be fitted.

I'm going to buy a 50mm, but not sure I can rely on the Samyang for all day duties.

The full body couple shot is lovely but my problem with longer lenses is how far away do I have to be to take a shot like that? And that brings the environment and who's in it and how will all this affect the shot into play.

The full body couple shot is lovely but my problem with longer lenses is how far away do I have to be to take a shot like that? And that brings the environment and who's in it and how will all this affect the shot into play.

Quite a way back, but sometimes that helps the couple relax a bit more. It's not really a problem for how I work and most of the time I have decent areas to work with to get the shot. If not I'll switch to 85mm.

Done a u-turn on my thinking of swapping the Sigma 85mm for the new Samyang 85mm FE II. Just compared how my 16-35mm f4 (which is roughly the same weight as the Sammy) feels on the camera against the Sigma 85mm and the weight difference is barely noticeable so it seems a bit silly to swap, especially considering my Sigma's lost most of the worth it will lose whereas the Sammy worth will drop like a stone.

Here's some comparisons, they're the closest matches I could find that I've done. I've actually done very little dedicated landscape with Sony actually, most are just holiday/dog walking snaps.

A7RIV

A7R01607-HDR by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9ii

A9_06767 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A7RIV (Massively oversharpened now I've looked back on it)

A7R09996 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9ii

A9_02460 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9ii again, similar shot different light and time of year

A9_00927-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

And then an A9ii processed to give a film type look

A9_05467 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A young Betty A7RIV (could do with brightening a touch)

A7R00515 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9ii

A9_05651 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

To my eyes neither look more film/digital like, I think scene and light play far more of a role, and then as discussed the end user.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. That first landscape one, the A9 actually looks more detailed! lol

Just wondering if anyone has an idea where I can get the Meike MK-X1EM Hand Grip extension mentioned many pages back. My little finger drops off the a7iii a bit more than when I first tried it.

Or is it worth just getting the Sony GP-X1EM A9 Grip Extension as it's available used for 50 online?

Just wondering if anyone has an idea where I can get the Meike MK-X1EM Hand Grip extension mentioned many pages back. My little finger drops off the a7iii a bit more than when I first tried it.

Or is it worth just getting the Sony GP-X1EM A9 Grip Extension as it's available used for 50 online?

There are some budgety half-cases around on ebay that work well, just giving a little more space on the bottom of the grip and protecting the camera base at the same time.

Still no new camera.

Got a new home security system... The old one conked and was going off morning noon and night so we got a new alarm and three camera. Also got a sensor in the garage for the 1st time and two control boxes, one downstairs and one upstairs :D

Still no new camera.

Got a new home security system... The old one conked and was going off morning noon and night so we got a new alarm and three camera. Also got a sensor in the garage for the 1st time and two control boxes, one downstairs and one upstairs :D
Sounds expensive. I made my own with smart stuff, couple of IP cameras and some sensors that trigger alerts and lights, IE if the garage door opens at night all the house lights switch on and my phone alarm goes off.
Thought you'd got some new camera or something.

Wex and Parks have £200 off the 100-400mm GM at the mo taking it under £2k

So my trusty A7R2 fell out the boot recently, whilst attached to the camera bag with a capture clip - and the rear screen and card-reader now no longer work.

Does anyone have any idea on cost/feasibility of repair? It's insured, with an excess of £350, so just wondering whether I'm looking at a £200 repair job, or a write-off and new camera.
I was surprised/dismayed to find out how old the camera is! 2016 I got mine, and with the pace of Sony's releases, I do wonder if they're no longer viable to repair.

Also, any recommendations for Sony repair shops?

So my trusty A7R2 fell out the boot recently, whilst attached to the camera bag with a capture clip - and the rear screen and card-reader now no longer work.

Does anyone have any idea on cost/feasibility of repair? It's insured, with an excess of £350, so just wondering whether I'm looking at a £200 repair job, or a write-off and new camera.
I was surprised/dismayed to find out how old the camera is! 2016 I got mine, and with the pace of Sony's releases, I do wonder if they're no longer viable to repair.

Also, any recommendations for Sony repair shops?
Get a quote for a repair if it's a bit much have a go yourself you can get most parts.

Last edited:
Sounds expensive. I made my own with smart stuff, couple of IP cameras and some sensors that trigger alerts and lights, IE if the garage door opens at night all the house lights switch on and my phone alarm goes off.
Thought you'd got some new camera or something.

It was £500 cheaper than the other quotes. I used to do a lot of DIY but these days it's very difficult. All the time the guy was here I had to keep reassuring my mam and telling her what was happening and I can't do that 10ft up a ladder.

No new camera kit I'm afraid as at the mo I have very little time for photography. I might treat myself to that TTArtisans 50mm f2 for Christmas :D

Ouch. Sorry for you :oops: :$ Hope you get a good quote.

Back