The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It's always best to shoot macro with natural light if you can as you tend to not get the highlights from the flash. There are times when you need one though and then you start having to look at diffusing them which is a whole new world.

Some of my favourite macro shots were taken on the Sony with natural light.

Hoverfly by Mike Pursey, on Flickr

Bee by Mike Pursey, on Flickr
Oh wow they are stunning shots!

Thank you for the advice though, I think maybe I will continue with practicing with natural light then, because they really are nice images and then just look at cheap cheerful flash for when it’s absolutely needed :)

These are apparently nicely built and compact.

Ahh yes, I have heard of that company and some good reviews. The only slight hesitation is I have read quite a few things on various sites regarding hotshoe fitting issues with 3rd party flash (particularly Godox) and the newer Sony models like the A7iv & A1… which is why I thought Sony would be the best road, but I need to consider there price differences and my use. Not sure if anyone here can comment on said issues?

Thanks for the recommendation though, definitely one to consider :)

Ahh yes, I have heard of that company and some good reviews. The only slight hesitation is I have read quite a few things on various sites regarding hotshoe fitting issues with 3rd party flash (particularly Godox) and the newer Sony models like the A7iv & A1… which is why I thought Sony would be the best road, but I need to consider there price differences and my use. Not sure if anyone here can comment on said issues?

The tight hot shoe issue is indeed real and quite a few reports of Godox units snapping.

I’ve got an Elinchrom trigger and that is also uncomfortably tight.

The tight hot shoe issue is indeed real and quite a few reports of Godox units snapping.

I’ve got an Elinchrom trigger and that is also uncomfortably tight.

I see, I think I will need to have a good think on my options then.

One I have been looking at is the Hvl-32m, priced between £200-220 which isn’t bad compared to 3rd party & the newer Sony units, it sits at quite a reasonable place… Just not sure if it’s too old a model or not/if that matters? On the other hand it does seem quite a nice small unit, which may be ideal for my use…

Not sure if anyone has experience with this one?

I see, I think I will need to have a good think on my options then.

One I have been looking at is the Hvl-32m, priced between £200-220 which isn’t bad compared to 3rd party & the newer Sony units, it sits at quite a reasonable place… Just not sure if it’s too old a model or not/if that matters? On the other hand it does seem quite a nice small unit, which may be ideal for my use…

Not sure if anyone has experience with this one?

A replacement foot for a Godox flash’s is about £15 so not a huge expense and they are easy to change.

I have never broken one although I know other who have usually because they have dropped the camera with the flash connected or because they have been a bit rough with it.

Thank you all for your replies. You have mentioned you don’t use them much, is this in general or when doing Macro photography? Is it best to stick with natural light for Macro would you say?
I generally used flash for macro as I would use very small apertures to get as much DOF as possible and therefore needed as much light as possible. Also flash helps to freeze motion. I don't do macro anymore as I just found it too much of a PITA, well shooting insects and the like is for me ;)

Apologies these were all shot with Nikon but the first 3 were with flash, and the last 2 natural light.

This guys was tiny, only about 4mm in total length

Breakfast by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

DSC_9577 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

DSC_9588 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

DSC_8056 2 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

DSC_8785 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Reports are also suggesting that Good have replaced the hot shoe with a new design. I've got a couple of TT685s and for about £100 they do the job and have been used extensively this year with no issues.

How quickly do prices of older models tend to drop once a new version is released.

So the A7 ii is roughy £1200 with kit lens and the iii is about £1900.

Could we expected to see the iii at ii prices anywhere in the near future ?

The accounts department (SWMBO) has unexpectedly given me permission to get the ii as it stands, but I am tempted to wait and
see what happens if a Mk v comes out

How quickly do prices of older models tend to drop once a new version is released.

The accounts department (SWMBO) has unexpectedly given me permission to get the ii as it stands, but I am tempted to wait and
are you looking at new prices?
I'd suggest getting used ones as you can get an A7III for around £1K or even less sometimes.

I'd personally suggest skipping A7II, its basically an A7 with IBIS which in turn uses the old sensor from A99. Given that you use a-mount lenses mostly save yourself some money find a used A99 in that case.

if you are wanting to switch to e-mount eventually I'd suggest getting A7RII at the minimum or get an A7iii or A7C or A7Riii if you can afford it. Skip the A7, A7ii and A7r.

Last edited:
are you looking at new prices?
I'd suggest getting used ones as you can get an A7III for around £1K or even less sometimes.

I'd personally suggest skipping A7II, its basically an A7 with IBIS which in turn uses the old sensor from A99. Given that you use a-mount lenses mostly save yourself some money find a used A99 in that case.

if you are wanting to switch to e-mount eventually I'd suggest getting A7RII at the minimum or get an A7iii or A7C or A7Riii if you can afford it. Skip the A7, A7ii and A7r.
Weight is part of the issue ( arthritic hands dont help) I was swaying towards waiting for the A7iii. I might just do that anyway.

Pretty unlikely we will see any price downs for a good long time with how badly the pound is doing against the yen, if anything it is more likely that prices will increase, over the next few months anyway. Hence the recent increase in prices by all of the grey market companies.

Think it would be nuts for anyone to be buying a new A7II at this point.

A7iii with kit lens in available from panamoz for £1620

Weight is part of the issue ( arthritic hands dont help) I was swaying towards waiting for the A7iii. I might just do that anyway.
if weight is the issue I suggest an used A7c with some small lenses - can recommend some if you let us know what you shoot. May not all be cheap but you can build it up over time.

if weight is the issue I suggest an used A7c with some small lenses - can recommend some if you let us know what you shoot. May not all be cheap but you can build it up over time.
Thanks I will stick with the A700 for now, just picked up a sling strap for it, which will help for now and I will see what happens with my A7 xxx journey

I have an app that I can track changes in prices and watch the A1 on both Panamoz and e-infinity. In the last 2 days it has jumped over £200.
From Panamoz this morning. In response to query on an A1.

71895519-F31C-46AE-A0AD-85F496D047D6.jpeg

Last edited:
Only a matter of time before they put prices up

Reminds me of the days following a certain referendum
I have an app that I can track changes in prices and watch the A1 on both Panamoz and e-infinity. In the last 2 days it has jumped over £200.
GBP has fallen since the mini-budget. Lower GBP means more money for importing camera gear.

Only a matter of time before they put prices up

Reminds me of the days following a certain referendum

Can we please keep politics out of this thread?

There are plenty of others for Remainers to moan in :D

Well looks like I'm leaning more towards the A9II rather than the A7IV with it's stacked sensor and better AF performance. At the same time the A7IV has the Bird Eye AF (for my hobby time) and better resolution still makes me pause. Do you think the A9III might be in the pipe works?

Well looks like I'm leaning more towards the A9II rather than the A7IV with it's stacked sensor and better AF performance. At the same time the A7IV has the Bird Eye AF (for my hobby time) and better resolution still makes me pause. Do you think the A9III might be in the pipe works?
apparently A7RV is the next one according to the rumours guy.

I swapped from A1 to A7IV and I'd say AF on A7IV is really exceptional while not as good as the A1 and IMO better than A9ii especially for birds.
The blackout free shooting is really useful and an incredible feature to have but if I were to pick between the two for birds I'd still go with A7IV for better IQ and better eyeAF.

In fact I'd go with A7IV over A9/ii for almost anything and everything. blackout free shooting on it own doesn't makeup for all the other advantages A7IV provides.

Last edited:
A7 IV and a cheap A9 as back up/hobby body

It was this video (although in German) - if you can follow it - that tested the AF performance of the A7IV vs the A9 and explained how although the AF processing is older - the stacked sensor and ability for AF to continue tracking throughout because of blackout free shooting gives a higher keeper rate of tack sharp images (35 minutes in). Saying that I'm sure the A7IV would probably be more than capable for Weddings. The R6 has been great for AF accuracy and speed - and it's not stacked so I'm thinking the A7IV will be perfectly good.

Last edited:
Here’s my take. All of the cameras you have looked at should be more than capable of shooting pretty much anything, whether it be the A7III, A7IV, A9, A9II or A1, all have incredible AF systems and one is not revolutionary over the other, they are incremental steps. Lets remember, the D750 was the go to wedding camera for a lot of people a while ago and these cameras will beat that hands down.

In terms of eye-AF the A7IV may well be better than the A9II however I’ve found more often than not the A9II picks up the eye of birds, even small ones such as tits and robins, assuming they are not teeny tiny in the frame of course. If I was deciding for me it would be a case of do I want the separate drive/AF dial and blackout free shooting, or do I want that extra 6mp resoltuion. If it’s the former get the A9II, if it’s the latter get the A7IV. I’m personally not that convinced 30mp over 24mp is that big a deal in the real world, YMMV.

If you want it all then get the A1 (y)

Here’s my take. All of the cameras you have looked at should be more than capable of shooting pretty much anything, whether it be the A7III, A7IV, A9, A9II or A1, all have incredible AF systems and one is not revolutionary over the other, they are incremental steps. Lets remember, the D750 was the go to wedding camera for a lot of people a while ago and these cameras will beat that hands down.

In terms of eye-AF the A7IV may well be better than the A9II however I’ve found more often than not the A9II picks up the eye of birds, even small ones such as tits and robins, assuming they are not teeny tiny in the frame of course. If I was deciding for me it would be a case of do I want the separate drive/AF dial and blackout free shooting, or do I want that extra 6mp resoltuion. If it’s the former get the A9II, if it’s the latter get the A7IV. I’m personally not that convinced 30mp over 24mp is that big a deal in the real world, YMMV.

If you want it all then get the A1 (y)
It's 33mp vs. 24mp so extra 9mp.
A7IV also has better dynamic range.

It was this video (although in German) - if you can follow it - that tested the AF performance of the A7IV vs the A9 and explained how although the AF processing is older - the stacked sensor and ability for AF to continue tracking throughout because of blackout free shooting gives a higher keeper rate of tack sharp images (35 minutes in). Saying that I'm sure the A7IV would probably be more than capable for Weddings. The R6 has been great for AF accuracy and speed - and it's not stacked so I'm thinking the A7IV will be perfectly good.
Yes that certainly gives A9 advantage with tracking plus you have a higher 2x frame rate. That could very well result in more keepers I suppose.

With A7IV you get the updated AF algorithms, newer processor, 33mp vs. 24mp, better dynamic range, touch interface, faster buffer clearing

It's 33mp vs. 24mp so extra 9mp.
A7IV also has better dynamic range.
My bad, 33mp vs 24mp will be noticeable, I’m just not sure how noticeable in every day life, I guess that will be down to the user. I can’t really say I’ve missed the 61mp of the A7RIV, I can crop my A9II very heavy and get perfectly usable images. Of course, extra MP are always nice.

Again, extra ev is always nice but 0.5ev isn’t enough to sway me, 14 ev is good enough for most applications, and again I’ve not really been left wanting since swapping my A7RIV for the A9II. Obviously I can only speak for myself, others may see it differently (y)

Edit: it's actually 0.7 ev difference

Last edited:
Can't decide between the Laowa 90mm Macro or wait for the 58mm version.
Been after a macro for ages now and these tick a lot of boxes for new.
90mm has the working distance but the 58mm has the edge in DOF and slight advantage to hand holding/shutter speed.

My bad, 33mp vs 24mp will be noticeable, I’m just not sure how noticeable in every day life, I guess that will be down to the user. I can’t really say I’ve missed the 61mp of the A7RIV, I can crop my A9II very heavy and get perfectly usable images. Of course, extra MP are always nice.

Again, extra ev is always nice but 0.5ev isn’t enough to sway me, 14 ev is good enough for most applications, and again I’ve not really been left wanting since swapping my A7RIV for the A9II. Obviously I can only speak for myself, others may see it differently (y)

Edit: it's actually 0.7 ev difference

For me there is enough of a difference to want 33mp. In crop mode you get 14mp vs. 10mp on A9.
The main thing I miss about the A1 and A7RIV is the resolution. But at the same time it's not end of the world. My Panasonic g100 has "only" 20mp and I have printed some nice pictures out of it too.

I suppose it all depends on how much one hopes to be cropping.

Can't decide between the Laowa 90mm Macro or wait for the 58mm version.
Been after a macro for ages now and these tick a lot of boxes for new.
90mm has the working distance but the 58mm has the edge in DOF and slight advantage to hand holding/shutter speed.

I prefer longer ones for the perspective but I suppose it depends on the look you're going for and if you want to use it for other uses, or not.

I prefer longer ones for the perspective but I suppose it depends on the look you're going for and if you want to use it for other uses, or not.
Nope just macro really.

Nope just macro really.

I always like the 150mm I had for Canon DSLR's. These days I have a 50mm and also use it on MFT for 100mm equiv but I still can't get the perspective I got from that 150mm. So, I'd go for longer.

Back