The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yep there’s no perfect system unfortunately. I’m still waiting for a FF camera with a 16-600mm f1.8 lens the size and weight of something like the EM5 :LOL:
but what I am asking for can exist.
No reason Sony can't make a 40mp APS-C body (considering they sell the sensor to Fuji!) or make Sony's equivalent of 400mm f4.5 or Nikon to take the AF in Z9 and filter it down to a more affordable smaller body.
Its all possible they just want to spite me I think :LOL:

No reason Sony can't make a 40mp APS-C body or make Sony's equivalent of 400mm f4.5 or Nikon to take the AF in Z9 and filter it down to a more affordable smaller body.

On balance what's the best system for you. That's the question and that's the system that you should go for but you can't take into account what someone might bring out the minute after you switch systems. Such is life.

No reason Sony can't make a 40mp APS-C body (considering they sell the sensor to Fuji!) or make Sony's equivalent of 400mm f4.5 or Nikon to take the AF in Z9 and filter it down to a more affordable smaller body.
Unfortunately no manufacturer seems to have both the lenses and body I'd want :(

On APS-C (I can't believe I'm saying this!) Sony is the only one with lenses that I'd want or makes sense to me - 11/1.8, 10-20mm, 15/1.4, 16-55/2.8 and 70-350mm.
But body wise for some reason they are hell bent on reusing that old 24mp sensor and won't release something with higher MP. In fact I can get more pixels from crop mode of A7RIV which is silly. Fuji and canon actually have bodies I'd want.

On FF there is nothing on Nikon apart from Z9 which is bloated and expensive with AF that matches A7IV or R5. But they have lenses like the 400mm f4.5, 800mm f6.3 and 24-120mm that I really like.

Why can't one manufacturer do everything :p

I’d imagine that Nikon will arrive in the not too distant future.

But a 300mm f2.8 or 400mm f4 for Sony being lacking is a reason for frustration for me.

One I quite like from yesterday. I accidentally took this at f1.8 but hey-ho and I still like it :D

FbNlPXD.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure Sony look very carefully over the sales data for their different cameras / lenses, and then decide where to put their R&D effort in accordingly.
What I'm less convinced about is how much they consider the 'whole system' from a photographers perspective.
So they'll look at their large primes (300mm+), and probably see relatively small sales volumes - so putting a 400 f/4.5 down the priority list - rather than seeing the need for a 400 prime to fill the lineup and encourage more people to choose Sony.
I suspect the choice NOT to release a higher MP APS-C body may be a 'strategic' one - preferring to have people move to FF (and buy more expensive lenses).

Still can't decide, heart says Sony GM, wallet says Tamron ..... and my wallet has had a right mauling the last few weeks.
I can't even afford it right now unless I sell something else
but this place is doing 0% APR for 1 year @£104 per month which I could afford

may be its of some help you

I have no doubt the GM is better but the tamron for me would make for a good lens to take on holiday that covers a wide range. Especially with the tamron 20-40mm f2.8 coming out, add a small prime like FE55 or samyang 45mm and I shouldn't need much else.

Yeah I know, I agreed but then went off ona. tangent ;)
One I quite like from yesterday. I accidentally took this at f1.8 but hey-ho and I still like it :D

FbNlPXD.jpg
Very nice. Looks a lovely place, where is this?

Still can't decide, heart says Sony GM, wallet says Tamron ..... and my wallet has had a right mauling the last few weeks.
There’s a 100-400 in the classifieds that isn’t much more than the Tamron.

I’m still in two minds whether I “need” 400

Ahh, always wanted to go there (y)

You should go :D

Give me and Mrs WW a nudge and we'll see you there....

It's an expensive place. We popped into a sweet shop to buy mam something and they had a lovely display of chocolates. "I'd like a big bag of those" I said "They're £1 each" said the lady :oops: :$ That's £1 for a chocolate that looks like it came out of a box of Milk Tray. So we got mam some chocolate Brazils instead but even they were £5. I think there were about 15 in the bag.

While I'm here. Mrs WW and boats. A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8.

doUWuE9.jpg

Last edited:
Proof that Sony can put two near top of camera controls on a RF style body.

"Right now, the Sony FX30 looks like an absolute triumph."

I'd imagine there is a bit more internal space in an APS-C camera. Doesn't have an EVF either.

I'd imagine there is a bit more internal space in an APS-C camera. Doesn't have an EVF either.

I don't know how much room a front top of camera dial and it's control circuitry take up but the camera does have a bigger grip so maybe that's an answer? Put a bigger grip and a front dial on a A6xxx and call it the A7000. Could even make it a bit bigger and include an EVF. Could do the same to an A7c II.

not sure its purely RF style because it could just be A7 style body without the EVF hump because it has no viewfinder.

But I still believe RF style bodies can have forefinger dial and Sony are being annoying by not adding one.

I don't know how much room a front top of camera dial and it's control circuitry take up but the camera does have a bigger grip so maybe that's an answer? Put a bigger grip and a front dial on a A6xxx and call it the A7000. Could even make it a bit bigger and include an EVF. Could do the same to an A7c II.
I’m sure they could, I know they’re not on the grip but cameras like the EM10 and XT-30 have front and rear control dials and they’re pretty small. They have EVF’s too.

You should go :D

Give me and Mrs WW a nudge and we'll see you there....

It's an expensive place. We popped into a sweet shop to buy mam something and they had a lovely display of chocolates. "I'd like a big bag of those" I said "They're £1 each" said the lady :oops: :$ That's £1 for a chocolate that looks like it came out of a box of Milk Tray. So we got mam some chocolate Brazils instead but even they were £5. I think there were about 15 in the bag.

While I'm here. Mrs WW and boats. A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8.

doUWuE9.jpg

The chocolate shop in Arran is like that as well, very expensive but very yummy!

Most serious videographers use external monitors/recorders (like Atmos Ninja), so no requirement for an EVF
That's not why I mentioned it though, we were discussing why the A7C Vs this doesn't have one.

Has anybody got the Tamron 35-150mm? Has anybody considered it?

not sure its purely RF style because it could just be A7 style body without the EVF hump because it has no viewfinder.

But I still believe RF style bodies can have forefinger dial and Sony are being annoying by not adding one.

OK. I got carried away by the repeated references to A6xxx models in that review which themselves are sometimes referred to as RF style. Yes you can have SLR styled RF's too.

A VF in the corner camera with two near top of camera control dials for aperture and shutter and an either dedicated or selectable exposure dial would suit me very well To date we have to go back to the Nex series to see two top of camera controls and the current A6xxx series and the A7c lack this and I'm very unlikely to buy one. I still have issues with the Panasonic G100 and constantly accidentally dialling in changes with the very easy to move vertical back wheel. It's just not a layout I like and it screams cost cutting and/or budget end model to me. As always good luck to people who like cameras with controls like thee but they're not really my cup of tea. I don't know how you dial in exposure compensation with the FX30 but having two top of camera controls is an improvement for me.

Has anybody got the Tamron 35-150mm? Has anybody considered it?
had one for a little while and sold my new one to a forum member.
terrific lens! If I shot professionally I'd buy this and a 16-35GM to put each on separate bodies. Would cover a lot of what I'd shoot.
I had the setup but in the end my circumstances kinda changed.

It's almost perfect, if it was 20-50 it would be my dream lens covers 99% of my photography.
18-50mm for me, which would still be a compromise as I prefer 16mm, I'd even be happy with it to be f4. I use my 16-35mm far more than my 24-105mm (and 24-70mm when I had it) but I find 35mm a bit restrictive at times. 35mm vs 40mm is neither here nor there for me but there's a big difference between 16mm and 20mm.

I still find this a weird focal length.
I had a 20-40mm on my Pentax body, it's actually a pretty good range and I imagine the shorter the zoom range the better the IQ?

Just bought myself a Sony 20mm f/1.8 but the Tamron would definately get more use.
I'm really tempted to try a two lens setup for holidays/travel with this lens and tamron 50-400mm.
But will wait for reviews first for 20-40mm.

I'm really tempted to try a two lens setup for holidays/travel with this lens and tamron 50-400mm.
But will wait for reviews first for 20-40mm.

I don't need a travel setup as we are unable to go anywhere that means staying overnight (except maybe the odd caravan park), I could go on my own but it's not the same as sharing the experience with a partner.

If I'm honest I really only need a decent wildlife camera, the 200-600mm and a macro but I quite enjoy buying lenses (and then selling them months later) :LOL:

I don't need a travel setup as we are unable to go anywhere that means staying overnight (except maybe the odd caravan park), I could go on my own but it's not the same as sharing the experience with a partner.

If I'm honest I really only need a decent wildlife camera, the 200-600mm and a macro but I quite enjoy buying lenses (and then selling them months later) :LOL:
I was abroad recently, took my 70-350mm which worked really well but crop mode only gives 14mp. Just wish Sony would release a updated APS-C body :(

Going again in December but not sure what I'll be shooting which makes it really hard to plan.

Buying and selling lenses is the way of life now :LOL:

I had a 20-40mm on my Pentax body, it's actually a pretty good range and I imagine the shorter the zoom range the better the IQ?

Just bought myself a Sony 20mm f/1.8 but the Tamron would definately get more use.
I've got the Sony 20mm f1.8 as well, is the Tamron is good enough could see me selling the Sony.

Back