The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

There is no reason it can't be easily replaceable like in a laptop or even hot swappable. Absolutely none.
Much more costly than swapping out a new card and it would also mean time without a camera. Add to that people like having different cards for different shoots/days etc then cards are much more flexible. Then you have the dual card so have a backup, I'm sure having two lots of internal storage would take up more space.

There is no reason it can't be easily replaceable like in a laptop or even hot swappable. Absolutely none.

DJI cine 3 has it, your phone has it, in fact everyone phone has it (Integrated into board) and they are fine. Just make it accessible and problem solved.
Making it accessible and user replaceable will need more space than just soldering it on to the board.
I think the issue is how much memory is enough memory? Do you want camera manufacturers to make 3 flavours of every camera like phones that comes in 256GB, 512GB and 1TB?
Cameras don't sell like phones.

I'm not against the idea but I think it'll just make cameras more expensive.

Making it accessible and user replaceable will need more space than just soldering it on to the board.
I think the issue is how much memory is enough memory? Do you want camera manufacturers to make 3 flavours of every camera like phones that comes in 256GB, 512GB and 1TB?
Cameras don't sell like phones.

I'm not against the idea but I think it'll just make cameras more expensive.
1x or 2x SD ones yes, sort of. That's your lower end market

The likes of a1, maybe a7riv and similar cost ridiculous premium, and require cards that retail up to over £1k a piece each, compared with £50-200 per nvme (512/2tb)
I think something like flagship a1 just gets maxed out to 2x 2tb and that's that, plus you still have SD card slot for instant access). So that's extra expense there but a massive savings over buying similarly sized cards at the mentioned prices.

Much more costly than swapping out a new card and it would also mean time without a camera. Add to that people like having different cards for different shoots/days etc then cards are much more flexible. Then you have the dual card so have a backup, I'm sure having two lots of internal storage would take up more space.
1. No. 2. For 10min, and only if you insist recording to nvme card, 3. You still have these 4. And these

The last camera I owned that had any kind of internal storage (alongside a CF slot) was a Hewlett Packard HP Photosmart 318 that I foolishly bought on a whim in New York in 2002. It remains the worst camera I have ever had the displeasure to use by a country mile.

I have absolutely no use for such a feature.

I just don't see the point. If it's some manufacturer specific item it'll probably be expensive and if swappable why not just go for a standard sd? Plus at least if it's sd you can take it out and put it in another camera or an sd card slot on the pc or card reader or put it in the next camera you buy and that raises another question. If you sell a camera with internal storage on can you be sure that any pictures you've deleted on internal memory are really deleted and can't be recovered by the buyer?

This is just not something that irks me at all. I'm happy with removeable standard buy anywhere sd cards especially at £5.99 from Amazon or £5.25 off ebay.

1x or 2x SD ones yes, sort of. That's your lower end market

The likes of a1, maybe a7riv and similar cost ridiculous premium, and require cards that retail up to over £1k a piece each, compared with £50-200 per nvme (512/2tb)
I think something like flagship a1 just gets maxed out to 2x 2tb and that's that, plus you still have SD card slot for instant access). So that's extra expense there but a massive savings over buying similarly sized cards at the mentioned prices.

1. No. 2. For 10min, and only if you insist recording to nvme card, 3. You still have these 4. And these

Complete and utter nonsense.

V90 SD cards are more than adequate for photo and will do the job for video as well.

Cfexpress cards while better aren't something that is absolutely needed.

For photo only V60 cards are more than fast enough in both of those camera bodies.

You obviously haven't used either camera.

Can't see anyone preferring an internal NVME drive (which aren't that reliable) over 2 x cards,

Last edited:
I just don't see the point. If it's some manufacturer specific item it'll probably be expensive and if swappable why not just go for a standard sd? Plus at least if it's sd you can take it out and put it in another camera or an sd card slot on the pc or card reader or put it in the next camera you buy and that raises another question. If you sell a camera with internal storage on can you be sure that any pictures you've deleted on internal memory are really deleted and can't be recovered by the buyer?

This is just not something that irks me at all. I'm happy with removeable standard buy anywhere sd cards especially at £5.99 from Amazon or £5.25 off ebay.
There is nothing wrong with SD cards and SD card cameras for what they are. They wouldn't be even the target market at all for nvme as I said above. The need arises where they start adding this insanely expensive non-SD storage, presumably for extra video bit rate and length or those extra long bursts of stills. Even top spec SDs are pretty dear. I resorted to getting a lower end Lexar 128GB type II and that is just a hair faster than Sandisk type I for similar price (both under £30), and just about enough for the very compressed R6 video format. 1228GB at £30 is expensive for storage in nvme prices, but a long way of faster £1200 unit you quoted last night. An alternative, and sometimes a forced alternative (if camera requires one for higher spec recording) is to get Atomos Ninja V5+ external HDMI recorder for just under £1000. At least you get a big and bright LCD screen with that.

The main point about nvmes is that they are widespread industry standard just like SD cards, with standard pin connector, and there is nothing stopping from making a camera specific insert / sleeve / cage for them. IF you think this through properly they could be swapped in the same way as SD cards, and worst case 4 little screws on the lid to undo.

Perhaps the most typical use would be 1x nvme, and 1x SD so you have the best of both worlds in one package.

Complete and utter nonsense.

V90 SD cards are more than adequate for photo and will do the job for video as well.

Cfexpress cards while better aren't something that is absolutely needed.

For photo only V60 cards are more than fast enough in both of those camera bodies.

You obviously haven't used either camera.

Can't see anyone preferring an internal NVME drive (which aren't that reliable) over 2 x cards,
I suggest you reread my posts with a more neutral attitude. I have nowhere said anything about not having SD cards.

would be pretty cool if it was integrated into a Grip of sorts, now that would be easier :)
An interim solution that would sell a ton of grips but cannibalise on expensive cards. I would take that.

IF you read into it CF express are nothing but outdated 1.2 or 1.3 rev nvme spec in a custom package. I will generously presume that the form factor quadruples the cost, but suspect that it is not necessarily the case, nor that this custom form factor is needed at all.

Besides you get things like this https://www.amazon.com/ZITAY-CFexpress-Convertor-Replacement-C500MarkII/dp/B08HJB2C6L
IF you are shooting video with a big rig there is nothing wrong with one extra cable. But otherwise this is a very unpractical hack but the best one without adapting the hardware.

I suggest you reread my posts with a more neutral attitude. I have nowhere said anything about not having SD cards.

You literally said in your last post "require cards that retail up to over £1k a piece each" which is complete nonsense.

After that its a bit of a struggle to take anything you say seriously.

IF you read into it CF express are nothing but outdated 1.2 or 1.3 rev nvme spec in a custom package.
Of course they are. There aren't many different ways of doing flash storage.

At the end of the day I just want the cheapest solution that's easy to use.
I have already spent £800 on fast SD cards.
Moving to Nikon or canon would render them useless :(
I'm glad Sony is still supporting them.

You literally said in your last post "require cards that retail up to over £1k a piece each" which is complete nonsense.

After that its a bit of a struggle to take anything you say seriously.
Seriously, I don't have a product in camera gear to sell and I suspect neither do you so would you calm down a little; this is just a chat and we are just throwing out ideas and brainstorming ideas that may be seen by the industry so unless you are against that and we should just go back to promoting expensive gear.

Tell me what is factually wrong with my statement. A) do the not require cards? or B) do the cards not retail UP TO £1k a piece each (meaning from anything to £1k depending capacity, speed, and brand)? It is simple logic. Perhaps my mistake is that they are up to more than £1.2k for which I unreservedly apologise :p

I have already spent £800 on fast SD cards.
:eek:
Moving to Nikon or canon would render them useless :(
I'm glad Sony is still supporting them.
What would you gain from that? You don't want Z9, so unless you are after a slightly sharper 24-70mm f/2.8 or 800mm prime there is very little else to go for, Sony has far more lenses available than either Canon or Nikon new systems, and will do so for the foreseeable future. Only L mount can compete with that but they are very seriously behind in other ways starting with AF.

2x 256GB highest speed SD cards at £200 each
2x 128GB highest speed SD cards at £100 each
2x 256GB medium speed SD cards at £75 each

Got some micro SDs for the drone.

So all in all £800 easily.

What would you gain from that? You don't want Z9, so unless you are after a slightly sharper 24-70mm f/2.8 or 800mm prime there is very little else to go for, Sony has far more lenses available than either Canon or Nikon new systems, and will do so for the foreseeable future. Only L mount can compete with that but they are very seriously behind in other ways starting with AF.
I want the 400mm prime and the 800mm prime.

I want the 400mm prime and the 800mm prime.
Just run 2 systems and mix and match. Today I would only have Z9 from Nikon. You will really like 800mm. It is insanely light for what it is, probably similar to my 70-200mm

Just run 2 systems and mix and match. Today I would only have Z9 from Nikon. You will really like 800mm. It is insanely light for what it is, probably similar to my 70-200mm
Yep z9 is the only one I like and I don't like the size.
Looks like I can adapt my 24GM, 35GM and 85DN. Don't need the best of best AF performance with them. As long as human eyeAF works fine it's good enough. And for landscapes or astro I don't need AF at all.

I need good fast AF with telephotos and those will be native to Z mount.

Seriously, I don't have a product in camera gear to sell and I suspect neither do you so would you calm down a little; this is just a chat and we are just throwing out ideas and brainstorming ideas that may be seen by the industry so unless you are against that and we should just go back to promoting expensive gear.

Tell me what is factually wrong with my statement. A) do the not require cards? or B) do the cards not retail UP TO £1k a piece each (meaning from anything to £1k depending capacity, speed, and brand)? It is simple logic. Perhaps my mistake is that they are up to more than £1.2k for which I unreservedly apologise :p

What is factually wrong? It is complete nonsense as I have already said.

There is little to no chance of anyone involved in the camera industry seeing this, and in the one in a trillion chance that they did, they are just going to think you are a little bit silly.

Will leave it there though as I can't be bothered.

Also I find your avatar unpleasant and verging on having racist undertones.

What is factually wrong? It is complete nonsense as I have already said.

There is little to no chance of anyone involved in the camera industry seeing this, and in the one in a trillion chance that they did, they are just going to think you are a little bit silly.

Will leave it there though as I can't be bothered.

Also I find your avatar unpleasant and verging on having racist undertones.
Just to keep the record of your hate speech.

@f/2.8 @LongLensPhotography
That's quite enough from both of you.
Move on, use the ignore button or what ever, or I'll use my "ignore" function

My first thought is overheating, especially in a confined space like a camera. Also, aren't regular NVME still quite large when thinking about a camera?

I seem to recall something about BGA SSD which I think is a compact version of NVME?
BGA is ball grid array just a package type, just means the SSD would be part of the main board rather than an add in like an M.2 for instance.

There is nothing wrong with SD cards and SD card cameras for what they are. They wouldn't be even the target market at all for nvme as I said above. The need arises where they start adding this insanely expensive non-SD storage, presumably for extra video bit rate and length or those extra long bursts of stills. Even top spec SDs are pretty dear. I resorted to getting a lower end Lexar 128GB type II and that is just a hair faster than Sandisk type I for similar price (both under £30), and just about enough for the very compressed R6 video format. 1228GB at £30 is expensive for storage in nvme prices, but a long way of faster £1200 unit you quoted last night. An alternative, and sometimes a forced alternative (if camera requires one for higher spec recording) is to get Atomos Ninja V5+ external HDMI recorder for just under £1000. At least you get a big and bright LCD screen with that.

The main point about nvmes is that they are widespread industry standard just like SD cards, with standard pin connector, and there is nothing stopping from making a camera specific insert / sleeve / cage for them. IF you think this through properly they could be swapped in the same way as SD cards, and worst case 4 little screws on the lid to undo.

Perhaps the most typical use would be 1x nvme, and 1x SD so you have the best of both worlds in one package.

I just don't see any reason to do all this when the current system of standard cards you can buy just about anywhere or have delivered next day seems to work well enough for most people.

You may well have a point for a few people with specific needs or a specific bee in their bonnet but for most you're probably trying to solve a problem that just isn't there.

I know it's not a Sony and I am not a great Tony and Chelsea fan but given the recent "conversation" here I present the Hassleblad X2D 100c

You don't even need a memory card as it has 1 terrabyte of memory built in ..... ;)

I like the look of this system more then the Fuji, it is imo a nice looking camera.

PS.
One thing I do not like is the bashing that some bloggers and reviewers give to Sony in particular over the many menu items and options available. Anyone with even half a functioning brain should know that once the camera is set up many people will not reguarly or repeatedly from shot to shot enter the menu system but I can imagine someone with a camera with very few buttons and dials and just 10 menu options wishing for the ability to select and alter more.

Yes, a clean and uncluttered design can look very nice and these cameras do look nice to me but if I'm going to get frustrated because I can't assign a function to a dial or button because the dial or button just isn't there and if I'm going to be frustrated that the menu option just isn't there... I'd much rather have that button spoiling the aesthetics of the beautifully featureless back panel and I'd much rather have that 11th or even 235th menu item.

Last edited:
I know it's not a Sony and I am not a great Tony and Chelsea fan but given the recent "conversation" here I present the Hassleblad X2D 100c

You don't even need a memory card as it has 1 terrabyte of memory built in ..... ;)

I still lust after one of these Mike, would look great in the front room on a stand :), i guess they use it as the cameras isnt a speed demon.
I still think my ideas best Sony grip with an nVME in :p and a small fan... Currently staring at my External nVME and its sat at 23C not doing much and thats in a housing with a fan... so yes heat would i bet be an issue...

Anyway 24-70 F2.8 Sigma Art or back to 24-105 F4 ?? thoughts please :). Im warming to the F2.8 but i appreciate its heavy just like my old 14-24

The 24-105 f4 is a far superior lens by a hundred fold factor, it completely blows the Sigma 24-70 out of the water and um, it also has a 100% failure rate and a few other bad things I've not thought up yet...

I can't make a direct comparison, but I bought a 24-105 f/4 at the end of September and I've been pleasantly surprised by how well behaved it is, at least with an A7III

I still lust after one of these Mike, would look great in the front room on a stand :), i guess they use it as the cameras isnt a speed demon.
I still think my ideas best Sony grip with an nVME in :p and a small fan... Currently staring at my External nVME and its sat at 23C not doing much and thats in a housing with a fan... so yes heat would i bet be an issue...

Anyway 24-70 F2.8 Sigma Art or back to 24-105 F4 ?? thoughts please :). Im warming to the F2.8 but i appreciate its heavy just like my old 14-24
If you can accept 28 at the wide end then neither, get the Tamron 28-75 G2 (new version), current deals have £100 off making it £749, it's so sharp, nice bokeh, light, excellent AF performance, 5 year warranty. I had the 24-105, it's solid but can't match the Tamron imo unless you need the larger range.

I'm having an internal debate at the moment about 24-70 f2.8 vs 24-105 f4...
I have the 24-105 and honestly can't fault it, it's excellent, but I just have a hankering for f2.8 :D

I'm having an internal debate at the moment about 24-70 f2.8 vs 24-105 f4...
I have the 24-105 and honestly can't fault it, it's excellent, but I just have a hankering for f2.8 :D
just buy the tamron 35-150mm f2-2.8 and be done with it :D

The 24-105 f4 is a far superior lens by a hundred fold factor, it completely blows the Sigma 24-70 out of the water and um, it also has a 100% failure rate and a few other bad things I've not thought up yet...
I thought the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 Art DG DN was supposed to be a very good lens?

Someone is asking about the A7RIVa here...

Likewise I bought one some months ago, very capable lens (but boring as hell)
Yeah this is why I wanted something different the 35mm feels like a nice one but not decided if I can live without a zoom mmmmmm

Back