The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I imagine it becomes harder for AF to operate fast enough the wider the aperture, particularly with closer work. I imagine it requires fast and faster element movement to keep up

I think picking a point of focus amongst the swirliness reliably might be a problem. Forums would melt if there were issues.

Nice rendering on that. I reckon the Sigma DG DN Art is not far off though. I’m starting to think the Sony 85mm f1.2 rumour is just pie in the sky, plus the f1.4 GM is already too heavy, and f1.2 would likely be over 1kg.
Yeah, I remember the 85mm f/1.2 mkII being over a kg and I couldn't really enjoy using that lens for long periods of time. It was best stopped down a little and I found I got best results at f/2.5 with it which kind of defeated the purpose. I only opened it up for subjects further away. I still loved what it produced though

Last edited:
I suppose if they thought they could sell enough... but AF at f0.95 might be even trickier than MF. I don't know. Plus of course my A7 would need ND's to keep the shutter speed down in good light.

I had a Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 for MFT. It was lovely and it gave me quality across the frame (when stopped down) I hadn't seen until then.

I imagine it becomes harder for AF to operate fast enough the wider the aperture, particularly with closer work. I imagine it requires fast and faster element movement to keep up with even smaller micro adjustments to get good results
I appreciate that AF would be extremely tricky, but with advancements in tech I just wonder if it will be possible one day.

I'd love a bag full of G Masters tbh. They are a thing of beauty. The last time I was as excited was when I got my hands on the Canon 85mm f/1.2 II - I still miss that lens. Forgive me posting Canon in the Sony thread.

AF8A2042 1 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A7690 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A7693 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Always lusted after that lens but never could afford it.

I'd love a bag full of G Masters tbh. They are a thing of beauty. The last time I was as excited was when I got my hands on the Canon 85mm f/1.2 II - I still miss that lens. Forgive me posting Canon in the Sony thread.

AF8A2042 1 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A7690 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A7693 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

When I first switched to Sony back in .... 2015 I think.... I sold everything else except the 5D2 & 135L! I did love that lens!

I am not the only one who miss the 85L mk2!!!!

As for the 50/1.0…Too expensive.
It's one of those lenses that when you look back at the photos - you think - why did I sell it?!?! I wonder if the photos would look the same with it mounted onto my Sony body!! Would probably lose a lot of AF speed and accuracy trying it with the MC11 adaptor - so not suitable for action probably. Has anybody tried the 7artisans or the Viltrox EF-e5 EF to E Mount adapters? It would be nice to try it vs the Sigma 85mm DG DN, although I'm sure the 85mm DG DN will way out perform in AF - even compared to the 85mm f/1.2 II mounted natively.

Today's dog meet

A1_03003-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A1_03123 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A1_03143 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A1_03168-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A1_03253 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A1_03291 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A1_03296 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A1_03298 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr
I bet you are super happy with the sharpness and buttery smooth backgrounds - is it your favourite lens? You've got a great selection of lenses

It's one of those lenses that when you look back at the photos - you think - why did I sell it?!?! I wonder if the photos would look the same with it mounted onto my Sony body!! Would probably lose a lot of AF speed and accuracy trying it with the MC11 adaptor - so not suitable for action probably. Has anybody tried the 7artisans or the Viltrox EF-e5 EF to E Mount adapters? It would be nice to try it vs the Sigma 85mm DG DN, although I'm sure the 85mm DG DN will way out perform in AF - even compared to the 85mm f/1.2 II mounted natively.

I owed the Sony 85/1.8 and the Canon 85L at the same time for a little bit before I sold both to fund the 85GM. I recall using the 85L with mc11 actually had better focusing than on the 5D4…eye AF basically improved AF dramatically compared to the canon.

Must be time for a Sony 85 1.2

No reason why it wouldn’t work on Sony, but if you stopped it down to f2 most of the time there seems little point?
I bet you are super happy with the sharpness and buttery smooth backgrounds - is it your favourite lens? You've got a great selection of lenses
It’s a very nice lens indeed, but I wouldn’t say it’s my favourite. I still prefer 50mm and last night I stupidly compared it to shots with the 50mm f1.2 :headbang: :LOL:

For example this was with the 35mm af f1.4

vs this with the 50mm f1.2 but actually @ f2

A1_01897-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

The one with the 50mm was shot with a slightly tighter frame before crops, but even so at f2 it renders with more blur to my eyes.

No reason why it wouldn’t work on Sony, but if you stopped it down to f2 most of the time there seems little point?

It’s a very nice lens indeed, but I wouldn’t say it’s my favourite. I still prefer 50mm and last night I stupidly compared it to shots with the 50mm f1.2 :headbang: :LOL:

The one with the 50mm was shot with a slightly tighter frame before crops, but even so at f2 it renders with more blur to my eyes.

50 looks better, you should buy one ;)

50mm does work well for sure. I used to shoot 50mm all the time back in my Canon days. Than after Sony gradually got into 40mm & now 35/40mm.

What I like about the 35mm is it still gives a nice FOV & separation but it can also double up as a "landscape" lens for me especially as I very very rarely shoot WIDE angle anyway.

Saying that..... I did take a 24mm sunrise landscape at the top of Corn Du the other morning after shooting the night sky. Mainly because the only other lens I had was the Tamron 70-180mm as I had the tracker etc with me.

With the beautiful qualities of the 35mm f/1.4, and it's extraordinary sharpness it's definitely a more difficult decision between that and the 50 f/1.4 and 50 f/1.2, especially given the cheaper price point. With so many venues having a much tighter space I did find the 45mm a little tight on many occasion, so although I'd like both I would be tempted to go for the 35mm first.

With the beautiful qualities of the 35mm f/1.4, and it's extraordinary sharpness it's definitely a more difficult decision between that and the 50 f/1.4 and 50 f/1.2, especially given the cheaper price point. With so many venues having a much tighter space I did find the 45mm a little tight on many occasion, so although I'd like both I would be tempted to go for the 35mm first.

I used to love my Sigma 50mm f1.4 on my 5D but I've moved more towards 35mm now and I now find 50mm just a bit tight.

Weight and bulk and not wanting to attract attention are the biggies for me. I'd really like a less good to be smaller 35mm f1.4/f1.8, one smaller than the Sony 35mm f1.8 and just good enough for me would be fine for me :D Until then and whilst my eyes last I'll stick with the rather large for my 35mm f1.8 and the smaller MF lenses I have.

The way I look at is the 50mm is the shorter version of 85mm. Not many venues here I could shoot 50 as my widest

The way I look at is the 50mm is the shorter version of 85mm. Not many venues here I could shoot 50 as my widest

I'm just a happy snapper who takes pictures on walks and on holidays so 35mm is a good fit. When I was single and out more on my own 50mm was ok and a while back taking pictures of friends and family indoors and at occasions 50mm was a good fit but these days 50mm means being a bit far from the Mrs to get full body shots with her in the scene. I have a 28mm equivalent lens on one of my MFT cameras but most of what I want 35mm is a better fit and I have the TZ100 for the odd restaurant and café across the table pictures.

Last edited:
I used to be a big fan of the 50mm F1.4G for Nikon and I struggled with the 35mm on the RX1 as it seemed an odd mix in between a 28mm and 50mm I'd used a fair bit. However I came to really like it and have toyed with getting a 35mm in FE.

I used to be a big fan of the 50mm F1.4G for Nikon and I struggled with the 35mm on the RX1 as it seemed an odd mix in between a 28mm and 50mm I'd used a fair bit. However I came to really like it and have toyed with getting a 35mm in FE.

Those compact Nikon lenses do look nice.

I originally got the Sony 35mm f2.8 but on holiday I struggled with the ISO for low light shots and when the Sony f1.8 came out I got that. The close focusing ability comes in handy for flower and similar shots too but fussy me thinks it's bordering on too large for what I want. Many people will prefer f1.4's. I have 2 f1.4 manual lenses in Sony mount and always have my eye on more :D

I've never been a big fan of 28mm. I have several film era ones and a 14mm for MFT and I also have the Sony 28mm f2. I bought that specifically for a trip to London as I fancied something a touch wider than 35mm but I ended up taking the 35mm f2.8.

Last edited:
50mm does work well for sure. I used to shoot 50mm all the time back in my Canon days. Than after Sony gradually got into 40mm & now 35/40mm.

What I like about the 35mm is it still gives a nice FOV & separation but it can also double up as a "landscape" lens for me especially as I very very rarely shoot WIDE angle anyway.

Saying that..... I did take a 24mm sunrise landscape at the top of Corn Du the other morning after shooting the night sky. Mainly because the only other lens I had was the Tamron 70-180mm as I had the tracker etc with me.
35mm’s not wide enough for me for landscapes 99% of the time

I've not had anything in the 16-35ish range since I sold my 17-40L in..... 2013/14. Funnily enough (@woof woof ) i replaced it with the 28/1.8USM :ROFLMAO:

At one time my Sigma 12-24mm was my most used lens and I do still look at those pictures today but sometimes wide angle lenses just seem too much like hard work now. I do think they're some of the most challenging things to use well.

At one time my Sigma 12-24mm was my most used lens and I do still look at those pictures today but sometimes wide angle lenses just seem too much like hard work now. I do think they're some of the most challenging things to use well.
That was one of my favourite lenses as well although I found it a bit of a pain at times as I'd need to keep swapping lenses to get a bit more reach. I did like the way the ultra wide could really warp some shots and make a scene look quite different.

That was one of my favourite lenses as well although I found it a bit of a pain at times as I'd need to keep swapping lenses to get a bit more reach. I did like the way the ultra wide could really warp some shots and make a scene look quite different.

You can certainly add drama with a wide lens.

Back