The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

as they say the king is dead, long live the king. popped into lce today and walked out with a used a7iv (haven't broken the good news to the wife yet though!!). anyway to morn the loss of the 3 here's the final two images off it, i wish it had died somewhere a little more exotic but Blackpool pier it is.

sept23-05 (1 of 1) by andyboddice, on Flickr

sept23-06 (1 of 1) by andyboddice, on Flickr

edited to attach correct images !

Last edited:
Oh dear.

Fault or damaged?

My A7 will be 10 years old soon and I do keep thinking that it can't last much longer.

Oh dear.

Fault or damaged?

My A7 will be 10 years old soon and I do keep thinking that it can't last much longer.
I’d got the camera all set up on a tripod but went to catch an earbud that fell out my ear, I knocked the tripod over the camera fell and landed in the puddle in the second image, I pulled it out as quick as I could removed the battery and memory cards wrapped the camera up I.n my jumper but it was too late water ingress has got both the lens and body

I’d got the camera all set up on a tripod but went to catch an earbud that fell out my ear, I knocked the tripod over the camera fell and landed in the puddle in the second image, I pulled it out as quick as I could removed the battery and memory cards wrapped the camera up I.n my jumper but it was too late water ingress has got both the lens and body

I feel you pain. But ah well. These things happen. Worse things happen at sea etc.

I was recently taking a flower shot when something buzzed in my ear and I instinctively raised my hand, my wrist strap snapped (I've never had that happen before) and the A7 went flying and bounced on the block paving. Luckily the only damage was a dent in the metal ring of the close up filter I had fitted. I think the half case I have fitted might have protected the camera too.

Good luck with the new kit! :D

I once did something very similar. Went away for the weekend with my missus for our wedding anniversary. Had set up what was a D7000 and a Sigma 10-20 back then on a tripod on a dock at the edge of a lough for a long exposure. My missus shouted on me for something turned around and hit the tripod and everything plummeted into the lough. Jumped straight in even though I can't swim and water was about 30 foot deep. Everything was completely destroyed with water damage, still don't know how I managed to get back out of the water. That was on the first night of our weekend away and as you can imagine I wasn't in the best of moods for the rest of the weekend, had only bought the lens a couple of weeks before.

As I was down in the dumps on the way home we stopped of to have a look at cameras and I ended up buying a D700 ( @f/1.4 was very jealous :p ) I was able to claim on house insurance for the D7000 and the Sigma 10-20 but they insisted on suppling a replacement, So I sold both of those on eBay also sold the water damaged D7000 and Sigma lens on eBay as spare and repair.

Wasn't too bad in the end as I got a nice upgrade for free, that was probably about 12 years ago I haven't set up a tripod near water since.

Last edited:
The shutter is an angels sigh compared to the Canon 20D I had. That camera had a shutter that sounded like an anvil being thrown into a tin bath :D

Just a personal off topic note to my on line friends. As I spend so much time here.

My mother deteriorated yesterday. We called an ambulance and she was taken to hospital and she is now sadly very ill. We stayed with her until the ward kicked us out. I was expecting a call from the hospital in the night but she made it through and I'm going to see her this afternoon. I hope to be able to talk to her one last time today.

P1020218-2.jpg

weding-jpeg.jpg

Just a personal off topic note to my on line friends. As I spend so much time here.

My mother deteriorated yesterday. We called an ambulance and she was taken to hospital and she is now sadly very ill. We stayed with her until the ward kicked us out. I was expecting a call from the hospital in the night but she made it through and I'm going to see her this afternoon. I hope to be able to talk to her one last time today.

View attachment 401443

View attachment 401446

That's tough Alan. I hope you can talk again.

Just a word to the wise, sometimes against all expectations people pull through. Be aware that might happen too, which can be a bit difficult to manage in one's head if you've travelled quite a way down one path only to have to turn around again. Yes, I have a story.

Thoughts are with you now.

View attachment 401443

View attachment 401446
Sorry to hear that Alan. My thoughts are with you and family.

View attachment 401443

View attachment 401446

Sorry to hear Alan :(

View attachment 401443

View attachment 401446
Sorry to hear that Alan....

View attachment 401443

View attachment 401446
Sorry to hear Alan. I lost my mother not too long ago and went through a similar path. My thoughts are with you and your family.

View attachment 401443

View attachment 401446
Thoughts with you and your family, Alan

Thanks all.

It may seem odd posting such personal stuff here but I've looked after her pretty much 24/7 for a long time and this forum has been a bit of a life line with me being tied to the house so much.

Sadly mam passed away a couple of hours ago with me stroking her hair and kissing her. I don't know how conscious she was on Sunday and this morning but on Saturday afternoon when I told her I loved her she answered saying that she loved me. Hopefully she knew we were there and got some comfort. I have convinced myself that she knew I was holding her hand, stroking her hair and kissing her.

On her 94th birthday on 27th July, about to enjoy fish and chips.

P1080233.jpg

Mam, you were and are loved and we will see each other again we we too "go home."

Thanks all.

It may seem odd posting such personal stuff here but I've looked after her pretty much 24/7 for a long time and this forum has been a bit of a life line with me being tied to the house so much.

Sadly mam passed away a couple of hours ago with me stroking her hair and kissing her. I don't know how conscious she was on Sunday and this morning but on Saturday afternoon when I told her I loved her she answered saying that she loved me. Hopefully she knew we were there and got some comfort. I have convinced myself that she knew I was holding her hand, stroking her hair and kissing her.

View attachment 401551

Mam, you were and are loved and we will see each other again we we too "go home."
Alan. So sorry to hear this. Losing Mum is awful. Cherish the memories. Of course she knew that she was/is loved.

It's never easy, Alan, but it was so good you could be there at the time, exchanging words of love and comfort.

Sorry for your loss. I’m sure she was aware that you were there with her.

Thanks all.

View attachment 401551

Sorry for your loss Alan.
It was nice that you were able to be there for her.

Sorry for your loss Alan. I think it's as clear to everyone here as it was to your mam how much you cared for her.

Sorry for your loss Alan.
I'm glad to hear your were there for her till the end. Take care of yourself.

Sorry to hear of your Mum's passing. I'm sure it gave her great comfort you being there for her.

Thanks all.

View attachment 401551

So sorry for you loss.

It will be difficult to see at the moment probably but getting to 94 is an amazing achievement. Your mum must have had a very full life and lots of experiences. Am sure she had some great stories to tell.

Sorry for your loss Alan. My condolences to you and your family.

Sorry for your loss Alan, my condolences to you and your family at this difficult time..

Thanks all.

View attachment 401551

So very sorry to hear this Alan, my condolences to you and family.

Thanks all.

View attachment 401551

So sorry to hear of your mom's passing. Condolences and hugs from far away Canada.

Thanks all.

I'm glad you can share this with the forum and that you've found some help here, it makes a big difference that you could be with her up to the end. My Dad passed away overnight a few years ago on Saturday morning in hospital but I hadn't been able to see him on the Thursday or Friday as I had a terrible cold and didn't want to risk infecting him or anyone else in the hospital. It's a small thing and we rarely had meaningful conversations but it plays on your mind, these actions at the end do matter.

Photography has always helped me deal with loss and hope it can also help you a bit through such a difficult time.

Edit: Sorry I realised I didn't write that properly, my Dad passed in 2019 and not recently as I realise is how the post originally read, my apologies for the error.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone and an extra thank you to people who don't normally post in this thread but have taken the time to.

Very sorry about your dad John and your mam lekhangaroo. It's a reminder that whatever we are going through is all too common. Best wishes to you.

At the mo I just feel lost and I'm afraid my body seems to have collapsed. I never really got over the death of my dad and my mams death is much harder I suppose because she wasn't just a much loved family member but also the person I spent so much time helping with every aspect of her life from helping her up to going to bed again. Apart from Mrs WW helping my mam every day was my purpose in life and my life. Thank Gosh for Mrs WW, my love, my best friend and constant companion. She was due to fly to Thailand for six months tomorrow to take over looking after her mam from her sister whilst her sister goes to Singapore for a time for visa reasons, all that's now cancelled and we'll probably both go when things are settled here.

On the subject of settling things, some may know from another thread that I've had horrendous family issues. I'm now dreading contacting the members of my family who've made the last couple of years so upsetting and indeed life changing.

Last edited:
Thanks all.

View attachment 401551

I'm glad you can share this with the forum and that you've found some help here, it makes a big difference that you could be with her up to the end. My Dad passed away overnight on Saturday morning in hospital but I hadn't been able to see him on the Thursday or Friday as I had a terrible cold and didn't want to risk infecting him or anyone else in the hospital. It's a small thing and we rarely had meaningful conversations but it plays on your mind, these actions at the end do matter.

Photography has always helped me deal with loss and hope it can also help you a bit through such a difficult time.
Really sorry to hear this, you both have my sincerest condolences

Back