The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Those cards are an absolute bargain been using them for a wee while now
I was going to buy some but it’s a third party seller and I prefer to buy direct from Amazon.

I was going to buy some but it’s a third party seller and I prefer to buy direct from Amazon.
Would be surprised if they become available as direct from Amazon they have been sold from third party since they arrived on Amazon only. Have always been delivered by Amazon though. It’s when items show as delivered by third party you need to worry.

I'd have given it a go if it was electronic and had AF for that money as it looks like it can produce quite unusual photos but I'm just not used to MF. I realise that wide will be easy to focus but I had a manual fisheye for m4/3 I ended up not using much, just what I'm used to.

Nikon is on a roll with these teleprimes.
Nothing yet from Sony and no indication of one coming either :(

Can't see any need for them tbh. An f/6.3 prime seems pretty pointless might as well just use a the 200-600mm

Can't see any need for them tbh. An f/6.3 prime seems pretty pointless might as well just use a the 200-600mm
I'd imagine it's going to be in a different league optically, and it's nearly 1kg lighter. I can see the appeal if you can get over the price.

200-600mm suffers from a fair bit of focus breathing.
I expect the prime to be a "true 600mm" plus still probably behave better with TCs.
Also it's a fair bit lighter. Like 1kg lighter!

Just pulled the trigger on a Z9, 14-30, 24-120 and 100-400. I'll be getting the Megadap to also try it with Sony lenses. I got a ridiculous deal through a friend so will try it out for 3 months or so and see if I fancy moving from the Sony system to Nikon. I really enjoy the performance of the A1s but the non gripped body, small batteries and a few other things all related to sports photography have made me want to compare Z9 v A1. I now have the luxury of trying them side to side on an extended trial and will use the 100-400 to do so as I will have that on both systems.

May have missed it but what's the 70-200mm f/4 like?
I only got it yesterday.
Its a wee bit smaller than my tamron 70-300mm which is nice. Focuses real close and really super sharp in the centre of the frame. Almost makes me feel tamron is soft which it isn't lol

I haven't really checked much more than that thb. The lens is a bit dense and feels really nice on the A7IV.

Still need to test it out properly in terms of sharpness across the frame, macro capabilities and how it performs with TCs etc

Last edited:
Just pulled the trigger on a Z9, 14-30, 24-120 and 100-400. I'll be getting the Megadap to also try it with Sony lenses. I got a ridiculous deal through a friend so will try it out for 3 months or so and see if I fancy moving from the Sony system to Nikon. I really enjoy the performance of the A1s but the non gripped body, small batteries and a few other things all related to sports photography have made me want to compare Z9 v A1. I now have the luxury of trying them side to side on an extended trial and will use the 100-400 to do so as I will have that on both systems.

I sold my A1 (to you in fact) thinking I might one day make the same move.
I kinda feel Sony will never make light teleprimes like Nikon and Nikon will never make small highres bodies like A7CR.

I think basically I'll need to get Nikon Z8 for Tele lenses and keep Sony for everything else. I also would like to keep my Sony lenses with megadap adapter.
Might swap my 85mm f1.4 for Nikon 85mm F1.2 since I don't seem to travel with my 85mm these days.

I'd be interested in hearing how you feel the megadap adapter performs.

I sold my A1 (to you in fact) thinking I might one day make the same move.
I kinda feel Sony will never make light teleprimes like Nikon and Nikon will never make small highres bodies like A7CR.

I think basically I'll need to get Nikon Z8 for Tele lenses and keep Sony for everything else. I also would like to keep my Sony lenses with megadap adapter.
Might swap my 85mm f1.4 for Nikon 85mm F1.2 since I don't seem to travel with my 85mm these days.

I'd be interested in hearing how you feel the megadap adapter performs.
If I used my small primes regularly I'd be the same but the two I use most are both Nikon Mount that I adapt to Sony. 16mm Fisheye and the Laowa 12mm. The Teles of Nikon really appeal to me but I think Sony have them beat with most other lenses. The 70-200 will be part of my thinking as the Sony lens is spectacular and that is one that hangs round my neck albeit resting on my knee. The other factor is will the Nikon kit fit in my Peli. At the moment the lenses are all mounted to bodies and it fits two A1s with 400 and 70-200 and an A92 with a 16-35 with a 24-70 on its own. That is my basic match day kit and there is room for a flash too. Not too fussed if the Nikon kit fits but needs lenses separate from bodies but it is a consideration. I'm hoping the Sony 70-200 works well on teh Z9 and I can actually keep that

Last edited:
If I used my small primes regularly I'd be the same but the two I use most are both Nikon Mount that I adapt to Sony. 16mm Fisheye and the Laowa 12mm. The Teles of Nikon really appeal to me but I think Sony have them beat with most other lenses. The 70-200 will be part of my thinking as the Sony lens is spectacular and that is one that hangs round my neck albeit resting on my knee. The other factor is will the Nikon kit fit in my Peli. At the moment the lenses are all mounted to bodies and it fits two A1s with 400 and 70-200 and an A92 with a 16-35 with a 24-70 on its own. That is my basic match day kit and there is room for a flash too. Not too fussed if the Nikon kit fits but needs lenses separate from bodies but it is a consideration. I'm hoping the Sony 70-200 works well on teh Z9 and I can actually keep that

Yeah apart from Tele lenses Sony have most other manufacturers beat for all other lenses.
My travel kit is now 20-70 f4 + 70-200mm f4ii (only got the latter yesterday).
I have and use fast GM primes for most part - 24gm, 35GM, 50GM, sigma/samyang 85mm f1.4 etc. all my Sony lenses are either smaller or don't exist or both on Nikon.

I'd be buying the Z8 literally for the teleprimes.
I'm also considering m43 with that Olympus 150-400mm f4.5 with built-in TC.
Not sure yet....

I wish Sony would just make some of these teleprimes or the new Zf was size of the Zfc with a 45mp sensor.
But I don't see either happening any time soon

Last edited:
Yeah apart from Tele lenses Sony have most other manufacturers beat for all other lenses.
My travel kit is now 20-70 f4 + 70-200mm f4ii (only got the latter yesterday).
I have and use fast GM primes for most part - 24gm, 35GM, 50GM, sigma/samyang 85mm f1.4 etc. all my Sony lenses are either smaller or don't exist or both on Nikon.

I'd be buying the Z8 literally for the teleprimes.
I'm also considering m43 with that Olympus 150-400mm f4.5 with built-in TC.
Not sure yet....

I wish Sony would just make some of these teleprimes or the new Zf was size of the Zfc with a 45mp sensor.
But I don't see either happening any time soon
There never has been a perfect system but the kit nowadays is so good it is hard to complain too much. I loved shooting Nikon so I am hoping the performance is comparable. Even if it is for AF I'd miss the fast sync speed and I use that fairly regualrly

There never has been a perfect system but the kit nowadays is so good it is hard to complain too much. I loved shooting Nikon so I am hoping the performance is comparable. Even if it is for AF I'd miss the fast sync speed and I use that fairly regualrly
Flash sync on A1 is certainly awesome. You can even stretch it to 1/500s in apsc mode.
That alone justifies having the mechanical shutter if you actually use flashes/lightning a lot.

Also will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the differences in the EVF too. A1 EVF has very high res, magnification and refreshing. Will be interesting to see if you notice any difference versus the Nikon.

Last edited:
Flash sync on A1 is certainly awesome. You can even stretch it to 1/500s in apsc mode.
That alone justifies having the mechanical shutter if you actually use flashes/lightning a lot.

Also will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the differences in the EVF too. A1 EVF has very high res, magnification and refreshing. Will be interesting to see if you notice any difference versus the Nikon.
The EVF interests me too. The Sony has great specs but when you shoot action the quality comes down. It will be interesting to see how the Nikon compares and the screen on the back will be a massive upgrade as I love shooting low and being able to do so in Portrait orientation will be a plus

The EVF interests me too. The Sony has great specs but when you shoot action the quality comes down. It will be interesting to see how the Nikon compares and the screen on the back will be a massive upgrade as I love shooting low and being able to do so in Portrait orientation will be a plus
Yeah it does while bursting but it drops to 5.6 million dots which is still a fair bit more than Nikon's EVF

It's quiet... Too Quiet...

A7 and Syoptic 50mm f1.1, Whitby.

I quite like this one. I couldn't avoid getting other people in it but hey-ho.

DSC03311.jpg

I don't think I've ever walked along this before in my life. If I ever do it again I'll be wary of how quickly the tide can come in.

There's someone ahead of her on the path and also to her right so I had to try hard to keep them out.

DSC03323.jpg

As I keep saying, this really is a lovely lens. The Pergear 35mm f1.4 has been on my camera for a few days and I may take it out tomorrow.

One last Syoptic picture.

DSC03365.jpg

Last edited:
Do you like wide angle lenses - this could be the one ! [Just launched today] : £460

53253705712_858d960782_b.jpg

After using the X-S10 for a few days I’ve decided that an articulate screen is a negative for a speedy workflow for photography…that means A74 is a nope from me.

I hope they put the A7R5 screen into the A75 when it comes around.

That's why I didn't get the A7IV

I basically didn't flip the screen out at all when shooting in landscape and only once when shooting portrait...and shooting it off center is also weird. I am treating it as a screen protection device.

Last edited:
A7 and Pergear 35mm f1.4.

Shot hyperfocally at f8.

DSC03451.jpg

100% crops. I hope the sharpness survives the posting process.

Bottom left.

BL.jpg

Bottom right.

BR.jpg

That building in the distance.

Building.jpg

The bird.

Bird.jpg

I think this is very good considering this is afaik the cheapest native FF 35mm. £87 direct from Pergear.

A couple more A7 and Pergear 35mm f1.4 pictures.

When it's raining or otherwise not very nice out what we sometimes do is go for a picnic in my car. We put the back seats down and sit in the back with the tailgate up so that we're sheltered but can enjoy the scenery.

Hyperfocal again. Just holding the camera forward and shooting one handed looking at the back screen.

Tailgate shadow and my feet in view :D

DSC03449.jpg

The view without my feet :D

DSC03461.jpg

:D

My local LCE has a Canon 5D mark 2, only £250! I am quite tempted...I still have my 45mm TSE too....Hmmmmm

Our wedding pictures were taken with one of those. I ended up doing the processing and honestly I think my newer (they're not all that new) MFT cameras are better. Personally I wouldn't touch one of these at any price.

Good luck to those who want one though :D

I think I'm going to treat myself to a Voigtlander 40mm 1.2. I'm currently deciding between the 'standard' and the SE. The inability to de-click the aperture ring doesn't bother me and there's a large weight saving to be had. Are there any downsides to the SE?

@LeeRatters you seem to tend more towards your 35mm GM these days. Would you still buy the Voigtlander? I have a Sigma 35 f2 which I love, but fancy something a little more special with a smidge tighter focal length.

I think I'm going to treat myself to a Voigtlander 40mm 1.2. I'm currently deciding between the 'standard' and the SE. The inability to de-click the aperture ring doesn't bother me and there's a large weight saving to be had. Are there any downsides to the SE?

@LeeRatters you seem to tend more towards your 35mm GM these days. Would you still buy the Voigtlander? I have a Sigma 35 f2 which I love, but fancy something a little more special with a smidge tighter focal length.

I grab the 35GM if I need AF really. If I'm out on my own at my own pace with non-moving subjects then I still grab the CV40 quite a lot :)

Lately I've been doing more village type days out with the other half & the dog hence the GM usage!

Question for grip users on A7 bodies:

Does it make the camera feel any more like Canon 5D where all your fingers fit on the grip or is it still not there? I tried handling bare one in a shop and that felt completely unacceptable. I wonder if grip fixes the situation.

I am thinking of picking up A7RIV as a direct replacement for 5Ds, so mainly a landscape and studio stills camera. I could do with more dynamic range and more consistent AF than I get from mine. I have R6 for all the fancy action and video so no need to worry about these. Most lenses are Sigma ART in EF mount, a few canon ones and that will be that for the most time. Over time I would consider adding a couple of E mount Sigma's, namely 24-70mm f/2.8 and 85mm ART if they are much better than the best of DSLR versions. Maybe 35mm f/1.2 ART as that is quite special, but I'm otherwise pretty happy with my Tamron f/1.4.

I grab the 35GM if I need AF really. If I'm out on my own at my own pace with non-moving subjects then I still grab the CV40 quite a lot :)

Lately I've been doing more village type days out with the other half & the dog hence the GM usage!
Thanks, Lee. The GM is a real tempter but I'd still keep the Sigma for a light walk around and they'd seem too similar to justify. Finger poised over the buy button for the Voigt' SE!

Back