The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

For that kind of work, i assume.....a human model....with controlled lighting and repeatable environment, AF-S is fine.
human models, may be some creative macro work or still life, may be some product shoots?

Not really sure tbh, not something I do massive amounts of.

Yes, and Auto focus doesn't work at that shutter speed.
That's not good.
yes, you get 1/16000 above f1.8

you don't get AF-C was my understanding, you still have AF-S/DMF
with AF-C 1/16000 seems to be max
Seems odd limitations, no doubt they'll improve these things with each iteration of the global shutter but I'd easily hit the limits of 1/16000 with ISO 250. No doubt they'll improve these things with each iteration of the global shutter but there's no doubt that for me the A1 is a better camera for my uses.

Our dog Finlay died coming up 3 years ago and we have just decided it's time for another. He was a Spanish rescue dog and we transported him over when we moved back and he lived a pretty long time for a German shepherd. So anyway, yesterday we had a foster dog arrive from Spain. A hard first night, think she has had a pretty rough life so far but hopefully she will settle and I will have reason to buy the a9iii :ROFLMAO:

She's a big strong dog, her chin rests on the worktop.

1000005786.jpg

1000005811.jpg

Our dog Finlay died coming up 3 years ago and we have just decided it's time for another. He was a Spanish rescue dog and we transported him over when we moved back and he lived a pretty long time for a German shepherd. So anyway, yesterday we had a foster dog arrive from Spain. A hard first night, think she has had a pretty rough life so far but hopefully she will settle and I will have reason to buy the a9iii :ROFLMAO:

She's a big strong dog, her chin rests on the worktop.

View attachment 406244

View attachment 406246
Good work, does she have a name yet?

I don't know about the A9iii but the 300mm f2.8 is very tempting

Good work, does she have a name yet?

I don't know about the A9iii but the 300mm f2.8 is very tempting

She was originally bought over by another couple who named her Nelly (presumably because she's so big) but they couldn't cope and gave her back after a week. There is no way I am calling out Nelly when we can eventually let her off the lead so it's now Ellie which I think is close enough not to confuse her.

I had a Canon 300mm f/2.8 a few years ago and never used it so no interest to me.

It will be interesting to see what the space is like between the grip and lens on the new shape body. Overall the body’s about 8mm wider but there’s no mention how much wider the grip is. It’s a noticeably bigger body all round compared to the A9 II, more akin to the A1 but slightly lighter.

IMG_6754.png

Last edited:
I wonder how many times you’d accidentally catch that new custom button on the front? :thinking:

IMG_6755.jpeg

It will be interesting to see what the space is like between the grip and lens on the new shape body. Overall the body’s about 8mm wider but there’s no mention how much wider the grip is. It’s a noticeably bigger body all round compared to the A9 II, more akin to the A1 but slightly lighter.

View attachment 406287
How does the A9II and A1 compare size/weight wise in practice?

In people’s experiences, do all genuine Sony batteries have holograms on them ?
I have one without and it’s acting a bit odd, camera was showing 70% + life, download some pictures and then turned it back on a little while later and the battery life was showing red. But it has taken quite a few pictures in the state

I have one without and it’s acting a bit odd, camera was showing 70% + life, download some pictures and then turned it back on a little while later and the battery life was showing red. But it has taken quite a few pictures in the state
There is a video here comparing fake & genuine FZ100 batteries
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL1CWPHR8gA&t=397s

How does the A9II and A1 compare size/weight wise in practice?
I can’t say I’ve noticed a difference except for when trying them side by side.
I think all mine have holograms.

Help…….
Generally I do not normally ask for advice, however, with technology changing ever quicker and also increasing prices, I feel in a quandry.
I am a keen hobbyist, I shoot most genres but I do have a strong tendency towards wildlife, my old camera was a Nikon D500 and I moved to Sony 2 years ago.
I am currently using the A7IV, which is a fantastic camera, my issue is the fast moving wildlife, while I do get some great shots I am missing many more.
I have tried all the usual suspects, shutter speed, camera stability, tracking settings, panning ability etc and I seem to have hit a wall.
The shutter blackout on panning fast moving birds is a nightmare.
I did see a lightly used A1 for sale……..For £4K and after a bit of research noticed Panamoz where only £160 more with 3 yr warranty, I did not realise that they where obtainable at that cost (my current body is from Panamoz, yes I know all about grey imports).
Anyway the bank manager has given me the green light, but literally it is the top end budget wise, is there any other solutions or should I wait it out.
Obviously the A9lll has just reared its head, however at £6k, it is not justifiable, and the A1ll might rear its head next year but again at what cost.
I do have a decent lens selection, I do favour the A1 over the A9ll because of the other genres I shoot.
Any thoughts welcome.

Help…….
Generally I do not normally ask for advice, however, with technology changing ever quicker and also increasing prices, I feel in a quandry.
I am a keen hobbyist, I shoot most genres but I do have a strong tendency towards wildlife, my old camera was a Nikon D500 and I moved to Sony 2 years ago.
I am currently using the A7IV, which is a fantastic camera, my issue is the fast moving wildlife, while I do get some great shots I am missing many more.
I have tried all the usual suspects, shutter speed, camera stability, tracking settings, panning ability etc and I seem to have hit a wall.
I did see a lightly used A1 for sale……..For £4K and after a bit of research noticed Panamoz where only £160 more with 3 yr warranty, I did not realise that they where obtainable at that cost (my current body is from Panamoz, yes I know all about grey imports).
Anyway the bank manager has given me the green light, but literally it is the top end budget wise, is there any other solutions or should I wait it out.
Obviously the A9lll has just reared its head, however at £6k, it is not justifiable, and the A1ll might rear its head next year but again at what cost.
I do have a decent lens selection, I do favour the A1 over the A9ll because of the other genres I shoot.
Any thoughts welcome.

Current bodies that support blackout free are the A9, A9II, A1 and the A9III which won't be available until spring.

With the A1 seeing such a big price drop grey import it is probably your best option. The original A9 and A9II are very capable though if you want to save some money although lack some of the bells and whistles of the newer bodies.

Help…….
Any thoughts welcome.
What settings are you using and which Lens , i use a a7iv And dont get many oof shots. Dont really notice any blackout , i use electronic Shutter hi+ Zone or wide

Sony 200-600mm.
I find the black out terrible at high fps, especially when panning quickly, it is like being poked in the eye whilst trying to focus.
Shutter to suit but normally over 2500.
Sometimes manual, sometimes electronic shutter, however with electronic I do sometimes get bad distortion when panning, another reason for the A1 as it is greatly reduced.
Tracking wide or zone, hi+ or hi.
I am normally chasing Kingfishers not Herons….

Help…….
Any thoughts welcome.

Sony 200-600mm.
I find the black out terrible at high fps, especially when panning quickly, it is like being poked in the eye whilst trying to focus.
Sometimes manual, sometimes electronic shutter, however with electronic I do sometimes get bad distortion when panning, another reason for the A1 as it is greatly reduced.
TBH if you're getting a lot of missed shots I'd question technique as the A7IV should be more than capable for pretty much everything. What exactly are you missing and is it a case of things being out of focus, missing from the frame or soemthing else? With the bird/animal eye AF/tracking you can just concentrate on keeping the bird/animal in the frame as the AF will pretty much take care of itself. The only areas I can see cameras like the A1 and A9's offering an advtange are the blackout free shooting, frame rate, and being able to use the electronic shutter without rolling shutter.

If you are still intent on changing your camera then I would suggest the A1 over the A9II as the A9II does not have bird eye AF. The A9III is not out for a few months and for me the global shutter does not offer enough of an advantage over the A1 to justify the £2k cost difference (A9III launch price vs A1 grey price). With the A1 you don't get rolling shutter and I've never encountered banding, and for me 30fps is overkill let alone higher (YMMV).

Help…….
Any thoughts welcome.
Sony 200-600mm.

Having moved from A1 to A7iv I don't think A7iv is that bad. Purely AF tracking wise I felt A7iv was over 90% of the way there in comparison to A1. With A1 the major benefit is blackout free shooting and 15-20-30fps options.
On A7iv I find 8fps really limiting. The Hi+ setting i.e. 10fps is basically useless for tracking since you get a "slideshow effect" in the EVF.

Well the seller refunded with no question, so that’s ok

TBH if you're getting a lot of missed shots I'd question technique as the A7IV should be more than capable for pretty much everything. What exactly are you missing and is it a case of things being out of focus, missing from the frame or soemthing else? With the bird/animal eye AF/tracking you can just concentrate on keeping the bird/animal in the frame as the AF will pretty much take care of itself. The only areas I can see cameras like the A1 and A9's offering an advtange are the blackout free shooting, frame rate, and being able to use the electronic shutter without rolling shutter.

If you are still intent on changing your camera then I would suggest the A1 over the A9II as the A9II does not have bird eye AF. The A9III is not out for a few months and for me the global shutter does not offer enough of an advantage over the A1 to justify the £2k cost difference (A9III launch price vs A1 grey price). With the A1 you don't get rolling shutter and I've never encountered banding, and for me 30fps is overkill let alone higher (YMMV).
It is difficult as I do not have a direct comparison, sometimes it nails the shot, other times I feel the tracking is not sticky as it should be and it takes awhile to lock on, perhaps I am expecting too much.
The A1 refocuses 6 times faster.
Also the higher frame rate will offer more choice of compositions.
I prefer to use the electronic shutter until........

Attachments

• DSC05819-9-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    DSC05819-9-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 17
It is difficult as I do not have a direct comparison, sometimes it nails the shot, other times I feel the tracking is not sticky as it should be and it takes awhile to lock on, perhaps I am expecting too much.
The A1 refocuses 6 times faster.
Also the higher frame rate will offer more choice of compositions.
I prefer to use the electronic shutter until........
The A1 acquisition and tracking is top class.

Processed another one from last week.
(Edit: This looks particularly bad on here, probably best viewed on Flickr)

A1_03353 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Last edited:
Shot a rugby game with the Z9, Megadap and Sony 400mm F2.8. The focussing isn't doing it for me. The problem is I don't know if that is because I am using adapted glass or just the way it is. I suspect a mixture of both combined with my inexperience. With the A1s pretty much every shot is in good enough focus to use. The Z9 with the adapted 400 can shoot 3 out of focus and then one is very sharp and then it falls out again. I think the A9 iii announcement has probably made my mind up that I will stay with Sony as two of the features I wanted, precapture and very fast frame rates will be included and they will likely be in future flagships too. The other two features I like can be done without the help of teh camera, focus stacks and multiple exposures.

Attachments

• NZ9_9761.JPG
    NZ9_9761.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 9
Shot a rugby game with the Z9, Megadap and Sony 400mm F2.8. The focussing isn't doing it for me. The problem is I don't know if that is because I am using adapted glass or just the way it is. I suspect a mixture of both combined with my inexperience. With the A1s pretty much every shot is in good enough focus to use. The Z9 with the adapted 400 can shoot 3 out of focus and then one is very sharp and then it falls out again. I think the A9 iii announcement has probably made my mind up that I will stay with Sony as two of the features I wanted, precapture and very fast frame rates will be included and they will likely be in future flagships too. The other two features I like can be done without the help of teh camera, focus stacks and multiple exposures.
A7Rv onwards they also have focus bracketing in camera. You'll have to stack out side the camera but having bracketed shots is good enough for me personally.
And even they give a focus stacked shot inside the camera it's generally jpg away.

I’d have thought it’s the adapter, the Z9 won’t only get 1 in 4 shots, I’d expect 99% with native glass.

Back