The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Last edited:
Some more from yesterdays visit to Locke Park in Redcar. A7 and Pergear 35mm f1.4 natch.

To my strange brain this piece of wood looked like an animal with eyes, nose and mouth and two arms and paws. So I snapped him :D

Anyone else see it?

1-DSC03707.jpg

I often visit this place and look at the roof. Pointing the camera upwards and looking at the back screen I was going for symmetry here but I missed by a couple of degrees. I'll try again another day.

1-DSC03724.jpg

I'm not too sure what I make of these. Pebble prisons or desirable high rise occupancies.

DSC03718.jpg

I bought something today. It's due to arrive tomorrow. When you learn what it is it'll be no real surprise :D

Some more from yesterdays visit to Locke Park in Redcar. A7 and Pergear 35mm f1.4 natch.

To my strange brain this piece of wood looked like an animal with eyes, nose and mouth and two arms and paws. So I snapped him :D

Anyone else see it?

View attachment 407457

I often visit this place and look at the roof. Pointing the camera upwards and looking at the back screen I was going for symmetry here but I missed by a couple of degrees. I'll try again another day.

View attachment 407458

I'm not too sure what I make of these. Pebble prisons or desirable high rise occupancies.

View attachment 407459

I bought something today. It's due to arrive tomorrow. When you learn what it is it'll be no real surprise :D

A bloody 35mm lens!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

50mm f1.2 GM £1599 after cashback

Last edited:
When for a walk around Blenheim Palace grounds this morning, but it was dark and raining (and 2 Celsius) and the light was just miserable. Wish I'd taken the camera all the same.

I got something new (to me) today. We were out when they tried to deliver it yesterday so I had to collect it from a local newsagent drop off point today. Its first trip out will probably be on Tuesday. Taking a few test pictures around the house and garden at its widest aperture it's a little soft but perfectly useable and it does respond nicely to sharpening making the final result sharper than I expected. There's some vignetting but not excessively so and some CA is present and can be seen if you look for example on shiny metal but it can be corrected, I think the review I read said CA handling was average. Close focus distance performance isn't great but will I'm sure improve with a close up filter. Across the frame and indeed into the extreme corners is better than I expected.

I'm looking forward to giving it a road test next week.

And a PS and to be a bit sexist...
The young lady in a nearby shop is absolutely stunning. Why someone looking like that is working in a shop waaaaay off the high street is a question but good luck to her.

Uncorrected CA.

1-DSC03810.jpg

Strawberry plant.

1-DSC03811.jpg

Last edited:
Quick question.... I have a A7ii and really want a 100-400 zoom lens but obviously the FE lenses are all VERY expensive. I already have a Viltrox EF to E adapter that I've been using with a Canon EF 50mm with great results - I can get hold of a Canon EF 100-400 L lens quite cheaply, will this give me good results through the Viltrox adapter, or do I need to fork out on a Metabones or Sigma adapter instead (I only take photos so video autofocus doesn't concern me)

Mrs WW.

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 SE.

1-DSC03819.jpg

This looks a bit softer than on my pc.

I have the 40mm f1.2 but it is noticeable narrower and to a nit-picker like me it's obvious it isn't 35mm. So, I got this used 35mm SE which was half new price and is slightly smaller and lighter than the non SE version as I fancied a really good manual 35mm. The Pergear is very nice and the only real criticisms I have are the nervous bokeh at f1.4 and some susceptibility to flare. This Voigtlander seems to have smoother bokeh and should be less flare prone but I think it maybe displays more ca.

I think I'm sorted Sony mount MF wise. I have the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 which is really compact but with nervous bokeh, the 35 and 40mm f1.2's which are better and all these display some ca, and the excellent 50mm f2 apo pro Lanthar. I also have the 50mm f1.1 Syoptic, TTA 50mm f2 and Pergear 35mm f1.4. Over the next few months I'm going to decide what to keep and the vast majority of my film era manual lenses and maybe a couple of Sony mount manual lenses might well go, probably not on here but to a dealer.

Quick question.... I have a A7ii and really want a 100-400 zoom lens but obviously the FE lenses are all VERY expensive. I already have a Viltrox EF to E adapter that I've been using with a Canon EF 50mm with great results - I can get hold of a Canon EF 100-400 L lens quite cheaply, will this give me good results through the Viltrox adapter, or do I need to fork out on a Metabones or Sigma adapter instead (I only take photos so video autofocus doesn't concern me)
My understanding is that the Viltrox adapter is not great and you’d be better off with the metabones.

I have the Sigma 100-400
Excellent lens for the money.
This may be a better option than the Canon + Adapter

I was considering trading my 24-70mm f4 for the 20-70mm f4 but trade in values for the 24-70mm are shocking (£230), really plummeted since I last checked:(

After several years out, I decided to get myself back into Photography. Just bought an A7iii with Sony 35mm F1.8 FE lens, both used but both mint condition with very little use.

I have a nearly 4 year old son who doesn't sit still so I am going to stick to primes for now. Debating whether to get the 55mm F1.8 Zeiss or the 85mm F1.8 as the next lens, I want something a little longer than the 35mm and I am edging towards the 85mm as it gets really good reviews and on FF body, I should be able to use this indoors for close up shots as well as outdoors for street photography from more of a distance.

Trying to practice getting shots indoors with less than optimal light and a quick moving 4 year old!

1.jpg

After several years out, I decided to get myself back into Photography. Just bought an A7iii with Sony 35mm F1.8 FE lens, both used but both mint condition with very little use.

I have a nearly 4 year old son who doesn't sit still so I am going to stick to primes for now. Debating whether to get the 55mm F1.8 Zeiss or the 85mm F1.8 as the next lens, I want something a little longer than the 35mm and I am edging towards the 85mm as it gets really good reviews and on FF body, I should be able to use this indoors for close up shots as well as outdoors for street photography from more of a distance.

Trying to practice getting shots indoors with less than optimal light and a quick moving 4 year old!

View attachment 407709

35mm and 85mm imo :)

I find 85mm a bit tight especially indoors where you can very quicky find there's a limit to how far you can back up. Fine if you like a tighter picture though.

And a PS and to be a bit sexist...
The young lady in a nearby shop is absolutely stunning. Why someone looking like that is working in a shop waaaaay off the high street is a question but good luck to her.

So where's the photo of aforementioned young lady? :)

Had a little issue with my A7iii yesterday. As soon as I turned it on it was fine but went to take a shot and it was Error, Turn off Camera and try again, only happened when I took a photo. The resulting photos, were exposed badly, unevenly could see (what I assume to be) the shutter blade in the image. So I used on electronic all day assuming dead shutter, got home dumped off images, and then tried it and everything is now fine!

Anyone got any idea of what happened?

Possibly the lens not mounted correctly. I've seen an error message on the odd occasion when the lens release button has been pushed buy accident and the lens has turned a little.

Jessops seem to be doing the 70-200 f4 G for £899 with £200 cashback and Amazon the 200-600 for £1314 with voucher according to HUKD.

Back