The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Went on another photoshoot at the weekend. Full album here.

A1_09083-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A1_09140-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A1_09267-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A1_09285-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A1_09386-Enhanced-NR-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A1_09538-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A1_09600-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A1_09666 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr
Nice collection of photos and photoshoot style.
Reminds me of them 1940 wartime weekends.. I’m going to have to make a visit to one of them this year.

Nice collection of photos and photoshoot style.
Reminds me of them 1940 wartime weekends.. I’m going to have to make a visit to one of them this year.

Piper PA18 super cub - too fast and too slow shutter speeds and oof i'll get there.
Aeroplane by Ben Cheneler, on Flickr
Nice. It takes practice to get the hang of slower shutter speeds witih moving subject, obviously with propeller planes you want to use slower shutter speeds to get the propeller motion and 'm sure you'll get the hang of it (y)

Piper PA18 super cub - too fast and too slow shutter speeds and oof i'll get there.
With a lot of prop aircraft you find a shutter speed of 1/200-1/250 is a good starting point to get a nice bit of blur on the prop - but this will vary with the particular aircraft, and personal taste as to how much blur you want.
Then it's just a matter of practice to get the smooth panning action to get the aircraft sharp at these low shutter speeds with longer lenses.
(Helicopters need similar speeds, but will often helpfully hover in place :))

Since I sold my Sigma 12-24mm (for my Canon DSLR) the thought of getting something similar for Sony has never left me.

Since I sold my Sigma 12-24mm (for my Canon DSLR) the thought of getting something similar for Sony has never left me.

Been looking at it since it launch but couldn’t justify the nuts price for how often I will use it. Looking forward to getting it now though.

Pretty sure it will be the widest lens I have owned. Have had 14mm before and a 12mm fisheye but can’t really count that.

Last edited:
Been looking at it since it launch but couldn’t justify the nuts price for how often I will use it. Looking forward to getting it now though.

Pretty sure it will be the widest lens I have owned. Have had 14mm before and a 12mm fisheye but can’t really count that.

I've mentioned this before and I'm sure you'll know this but I'll post it again anyway... I think wide lenses can be some of the most difficult to use well. I think when using them we have to really look and see and understand what's going on and why and understand how to use them effectively and well. Used well I think wide lenses (for me) allow some of the most visually striking creative effects and pictures.

I've mentioned this before and I'm sure you'll know this but I'll post it again anyway... I think wide lenses can be some of the most difficult to use well. I think when using them we have to really look and see and understand what's going on and why and understand how to use them effectively and well. Used well I think wide lenses (for me) allow some of the most visually striking creative effects and pictures.
I think that's well put. I couldn't justify an ultra wide for FE-mount so I've been using the old Sigma 12-24mm I had since I really li ked some of the results I've had with it but I've been feeling frustrated with it but I just need to be more patient and put more work into it.

Same. I haven't checked, but I bet 90% of my 24GM use has been for night skies. I know I have taken a few landscape scenes with it but only when I can't back up very far (churches are common for this....) and if I do happen to look for and spot a nice immediate foreground.

And yes..... 24mm is 'wide' for me :)

For sure ultra wide is more difficult to use well.

As you said though images shot using an ultra wide when composed correctly can have a real wow factor.

Don’t know if it would be that good I I was hand holding it.
Well it'll be better than other e-mount bodies. So whenever you can get with other bodies you can probably get one or two stops more with this one

Following Nandbytes 1 second exposure. I had to try my A7CR. Unfortunately nothing as grand as the acropolis. Just my back garden through the window. :)
Using the Sony A7CR and Tamron 28-200 f5.6 hand held one second exposure, and the garden spotlight. I never thought it would be possible without all wavy lines. This is a medium jpeg untouched.

Sony A7CR. Hand held 1 second. by Andy Williams, on Flickr

Following Nandbytes 1 second exposure. I had to try my A7CR. Unfortunately nothing as grand as the acropolis. Just my back garden through the window. :)
Using the Sony A7CR and Tamron 28-200 f5.6 hand held one second exposure, and the garden spotlight. I never thought it would be possible without all wavy lines. This is a medium jpeg untouched.

Sony A7CR. Hand held 1 second. by Andy Williams, on Flickr

Tbh I am having some buyers remorse.
Wondering if I should have got the A7CR instead.
Anyway I'm too busy till August to worry about all that so I'll keep the A7RV for now

Before buying the Sony 12-24 I was looking at the Laowa 10mm f/2.8.

Nobody could provide lead time for shipping date so contacted the manufacturer who offered to send it as a gift so no import duty to pay. :p

Surprised me a bit that a manufacturer would offer to do that and kind of put me off Laowa as a brand. While you sort of expect shops in China to do that I didn’t expect it direct from manufacturer.

IMG_9649.jpeg

Anyway I'm too busy till August to worry about all that so I'll keep the A7RV for now
Don't you just love buyers remorse :headbang: :LOL:

I know it's preference but I'd choose the A7RV over the A7cR all day long due to the better grip and EVF. Then add the better LCD and 1 stop better IBIS it's a definite win for the RV for me. The only downside for some will be the size and weight compared to the A7cR.

I pondered for two weeks which one to buy, every few hours I decided on one, then later the other, I even put the A7RV in the cart, but in the end most of the ticks came down on the A7CR. So far I am over the moon with it.

Don't you just love buyers remorse :headbang: :LOL:

I know it's preference but I'd choose the A7RV over the A7cR all day long due to the better grip and EVF. Then add the better LCD and 1 stop better IBIS it's a definite win for the RV for me. The only downside for some will be the size and weight compared to the A7cR.
That was my reasoning too with A7RV. If I'm going to just have one body for now I want it to be full featured inc. 1/8000s shutter and 8-10fps shooting.
The new IBIS was a big influence on my decision to go with A7RV but A7CR is no slouch in this area.

I think the A1ii will be "the one". Of course will have to wait a few years to afford it but A7RV is super nice!

That was my reasoning too with A7RV. If I'm going to just have one body for now I want it to be full featured inc. 1/8000s shutter and 8-10fps shooting.
The new IBIS was a big influence on my decision to go with A7RV but A7CR is no slouch in this area.

I think the A1ii will be "the one". Of course will have to wait a few years to afford it but A7RV is super nice!
I don't think the A1ii will be annoounced any time soon. Of course it will be unbelievable, but then something else will come along and have a new or better feature ;)

I don't think the A1ii will be annoounced any time soon. Of course it will be unbelievable, but then something else will come along and have a new or better feature ;)
I am in no hurry :)
tbh there isn't a huge lot more I want from the camera than what a7RV+A1 offers now.
last bit I'd really want is the pre-shoot buffer (in RAW) like on A9III
so I imagine A1ii will do everything I'd want from it.... IBIS, high FPS, blackout free, highres, tracking, nice EVF and fully articulating LCD etc

There are some really nice feature on OM1ii that I really liked - live ND and ND grad features. It'd be nice to get these kind of things but its not make or break for me.

Only until they release the next A9/A7R after it, which will have some extra feature added that has been developed since the A9ii release - cameras these days are a bit like computers - you just have to pick what's the best option for you at the time you're buying, because there will be something 'better' in a few months time!

I am in no hurry :)
tbh there isn't a huge lot more I want from the camera than what a7RV+A1 offers now.
last bit I'd really want is the pre-shoot buffer (in RAW) like on A9III
so I imagine A1ii will do everything I'd want from it.... IBIS, high FPS, blackout free, highres, tracking, nice EVF and fully articulating LCD etc

There are some really nice feature on OM1ii that I really liked - live ND and ND grad features. It'd be nice to get these kind of things but its not make or break for me.
There's nothing more I want over the A1 in all honesty. More subject detection options (such as dog), better quality LCD and EVF would all be nice but certainly wouldn't make me upgrade just for those. I'm neither here nor there on global shutters as they offer me no advantage over what I have now for my shooting.

There's nothing more I want over the A1 in all honesty. More subject detection options (such as dog), better quality LCD and EVF would all be nice but certainly wouldn't make me upgrade just for those. I'm neither here nor there on global shutters as they offer me no advantage over what I have now for my shooting.
I'd agree - it is again getting to a case of diminishing returns for a given upgrade.
While I'd like an A1, A7R5 or A9iii, realistically the A7iv I already have is more than capable in the vast majority of situations I'm goign to use it in.

Back