The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Gonna be f/1.2 city in a few months so that’s Viltrox, Sony and Sigma bringing out new f/1.2 lenses and Meike bringing out a range of f/1.4 primes as well. Even TTartisan are making a.f lenses now.

Viltrox has some of the big boys running scared.

As I've previously whinged. With lenses from these newer companies as well as obvious things like focus performance and general IQ I'd check aperture and exposure against lenses from established marques.

As I've previously whinged. With lenses from these newer companies as well as obvious things like focus performance and general IQ I'd check aperture and exposure against lenses from established marques.

Not any more tbh. They have come on leaps and pounds in last year or so. Viltrox 16mm is very highly rated as an example.

Hell even there 20mm that costs about the same as a decent dinner is a pretty good performer.

Gonna be f/1.2 city in a few months so that’s Viltrox, Sony and Sigma bringing out new f/1.2 lenses and Meike bringing out a range of f/1.4 primes as well. Even TTartisan are making a.f lenses now.

Viltrox has some of the big boys running scared.
I’ve been interested in the rumours of a Sony 85mm f1.2 (that’s now not coming) and now these, but in reality I barely use my 85mm f1.4 :ROFLMAO:

+£10 or so in VAT, which will be collected in the checkout. OK deal still, but not a steal

Find a cheaper one?

If you use the coupon code as well it’s a lot cheaper than anywhere else I can find it.

IMG_9830.jpeg

R.R.P on these is £89.99 so less than half price seems like a decent deal to me.

Last edited:
It is likely to be 85mm. Let's hope for competitive pricing and no distortion or other "correctable" or non-correctable flaws!

It’s more likely to not be an 85.

Sigma struggle to keep their lenses small this is supposed to be smaller than anything else currently available. Will likely be an odd ball focal length.

I barely use my 85mm f1.4 :ROFLMAO:

I hadn't used my 85 f1.4 for a while either, but a couple of weeks back I had a request for a quick portrait and suddenly it was extremely useful. I did a few shots with the 50 f1.2, then popped the Sammy on and glad I did, the Samyang pictures were just so much better for this use.

I hadn't used my 85 f1.4 for a while either, but a couple of weeks back I had a request for a quick portrait and suddenly it was extremely useful. I did a few shots with the 50 f1.2, then popped the Sammy on and glad I did, the Samyang pictures were just so much better for this use.
On the recent studio shoot I did I tried the 85mm but it was too close so used the 50mm most. At the Barrow Hill vintage shoot I did the 85mm didn't even come out of the bag :oops: :$

Most of you (probably all actually) won't know that I dabble in music production, well I've just had my very first release on vinyl, I'm so chuffed. When I DJ'd it was always a dream of mine to produce a track and have it on vinyl so that I could mix it into one of my sets, better late than never ;) Mine is the Code Red TDG Remix.

IMG_7367.JPGIMG_7368.JPGIMG_7369.JPG

Turns out I was right it’s a 50mm f/1.2.

View attachment 417661

View attachment 417662
Lots of people in the comments on the rumour site are saying the pic is suspect. This is just a rumor... For now obviously. If it were true the 50.1.4 is pretty much a magic but failed 1.2 design and now they fixed it or this may have like 5 stops vignetting.

Lots of people in the comments on the rumour site are saying the pic is suspect. This is just a rumor... For now obviously. If it were true the 50.1.4 is pretty much a magic but failed 1.2 design and now they fixed it or this may have like 5 stops vignetting.

IMG_9839.jpeg

Not any more tbh. They have come on leaps and pounds in last year or so. Viltrox 16mm is very highly rated as an example.

Hell even there 20mm that costs about the same as a decent dinner is a pretty good performer.

As you'll know my experience with Chinese lenses is just with the MF ones I've bought and their aperture / exposure discrepancies when compared to anything else I've compared them to. If the AF lenses are the same or not I don't know but it's something I'd look at if buying one. To me exposure is likely to be the more important thing in the aperture accuracy / light transmission issue because a higher ISO for the same aperture and shutter speed v another lens is more noticeable than a little more or less bokeh or depth.

Other than the aperture / exposure question and a few others the biggest being flare my Chinese lenses have all been good performers for the price.

Last edited:
It is nice that (y)

It's fantastic, great images, little to no CA (which is amazing!), plenty sharp enough, IQ wise I have no complaints except it could be a little smaller (mostly shorter would be good). It's like the size of the 85/1.4 GM.

Last edited:
You do realise this is easy to fake. Besides what you posted is 72mm or identical to 1.4 version that already exists. Maybe it is time we should treat rumours as exactly that

Are you huffing glue mate?

Sigma have already confirmed it launches on the 26th of March. It will be very similar size to the current 50mm. 100grams lighter then the G.M.

Hi all, I’m thoroughly enjoying using my new Sony having moved over from Olympus and m4/3, the improvement in image quality is outstanding.
There’s just one thing I’m struggling to decide upon, I’m after a lens for wildlife ideally up to around 500mm, I’ve looked at the 200-600 and I’m concerned it might be a bit too long as I’m usually hand held for wildlife.
At the moment I’m considering the 100-400gm however I’m wondering if I’m going to see much of a difference if I considered other 3rd party options which seem to be coming out at around half the price.
Im more than happy to go for the gm if it’s going to be the best lens for wildlife but I’m hoping anyone with more experience could point me in the right direction.
Many thanks

Hi all, I’m thoroughly enjoying using my new Sony having moved over from Olympus and m4/3, the improvement in image quality is outstanding.
There’s just one thing I’m struggling to decide upon, I’m after a lens for wildlife ideally up to around 500mm, I’ve looked at the 200-600 and I’m concerned it might be a bit too long as I’m usually hand held for wildlife.
At the moment I’m considering the 100-400gm however I’m wondering if I’m going to see much of a difference if I considered other 3rd party options which seem to be coming out at around half the price.
Im more than happy to go for the gm if it’s going to be the best lens for wildlife but I’m hoping anyone with more experience could point me in the right direction.
Many thanks
100-400 will be a bit to short unless you use the 1.4x TC the 200-600 is spot on and i find much nicer to use than the 100-400 and no probs handheld, i'm prowling for the 1.4x TC myself to use with the 200-600 but also for the 70-200 and 100-400.

Did I complain about the 55mm f1.8 being 55mm and not 50? I decided it's no biggie and I just had to get over it :D

All at f1.8.

DSC05085.jpg

BIG crop for this one.

DSC05091-C.jpg

BIG crop here too.

DSC05087.jpg

The first picture I took it missed the squirrel and focused on the grass behind it but I suppose I can excuse that as I aimed at the squirrels head and it was small in the frame.

One last one, just to see the bokeh at a distance.

DSC05093.jpg

I do think this is a very good lens and easily the best 50/55 AF lens I've used but I do just wish it was 50mm :D
The Voigtlander 50mm f2 apo is IMO better but no AF.

Last edited:
Did I complain about the 55mm f1.8 being 55mm and not 50? I decided it's no biggie and I just had to get over it :D

All at f1.8.

View attachment 417757

BIG crop for this one.

View attachment 417758

BIG crop here too.

View attachment 417759

The first picture I took it missed the squirrel and focused on the grass behind it but I suppose I can excuse that as I aimed at the squirrels head and it was small in the frame.

One last one, just to see the bokeh at a distance.

View attachment 417760

I do think this is a very good lens and easily the best 50/55 AF lens I've used but I do just wish it was 50mm :D
The Voigtlander 50mm f2 apo is IMO better but no AF.

Nice Alan. How long have you had the 55mm?

And how many 50mm's have you bought since owning it? :ROFLMAO:

Many thanks
I'm different to Bungieben, I much prefer using the 100-400mm GM over the 200-600mm, the 200-600mm is too heavy to use handheld for long periods. I'm fortunate in that I have a high res camera that I can crop to gain the extra reach though, and wildlife is not my main area of photography.

In terms of other lenses, the Sigma 100-400mm is a very good lens, but the GM is better.

Nice Alan. How long have you had the 55mm?

And how many 50mm's have you bought since owning it? :ROFLMAO:

I've had it since the earlier days and although I have used it a few times it's mostly sat unused.

I don't know how many 50/55's I have at the mo without running upstairs and counting but it's in the region of 15 or so (and I have sold some) but of course I only have the one AF 50-ish lens and it's this Sony 55mm f1.8.

I used to use my film era lenses sort of in rotation and I've recently decided to do the same with my native lenses. Native lens wise I've used the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 and Sony 35mm f2.8 the most but I'm going to try and use the Sony lenses more, the Sony 55 and 35mm f1.8's and the 28mm f2 but the 20mm f1.8, 24mm f2.8 and 85mm f1.8 will probably remain little used special use lenses. I think I've decided to sell the 28-60mm and keep the 28-70mm kit lens because contrary to popular opinion I actually think the old kit lens is the better lens although the new one is collapsible and that's attractive.

I did advertise most of my Nikon film era lenses here but only managed to sell one. I'll put most of my Rokkor, Zuiko and FD lenses up for sale here and see what sells and then I'll ring a dealer and see if I can pass most on. I plan on keeping a Nippon Kogaku, either the 50mm f1.4 or f2 and I'll keep my Rokkor 55mm f1.7 and possibly a couple or three Zuiko's and that's it.

100-400 will be a bit to short unless you use the 1.4x TC the 200-600 is spot on and i find much nicer to use than the 100-400 and no probs handheld, i'm prowling for the 1.4x TC myself to use with the 200-600 but also for the 70-200 and 100-400.
Many thanks for the reply, I will keep that in mind and will try the 200-600 on the camera next time I’m at the local lce. I’ve noticed it’s internal zoom too which is appealing. I’ve only been basing my thoughts on camera size comparison sites rather than trying them out myself.

I'm different to Bungieben, I much prefer using the 100-400mm GM over the 200-600mm, the 200-600mm is too heavy to use handheld for long periods. I'm fortunate in that I have a high res camera that I can crop to gain the extra reach though, and wildlife is not my main area of photography.

In terms of other lenses, the Sigma 100-400mm is a very good lens, but the GM is better.
Many thanks, do you have any experience with the Tamron 150-500?
That’s another one that’s been on my list as an alternative to the others.
I’m definitely going to try both the Sony options on the camera first just to see how the length/weight feels to me.

Many thanks, do you have any experience with the Tamron 150-500?
That’s another one that’s been on my list as an alternative to the others.
I’m definitely going to try both the Sony options on the camera first just to see how the length/weight feels to me.
No sorry, not tried the Tamron. As you mentioned the 200-600mm does have the internal zoom which I wish the 100-400mm had.

Many thanks
Depends on what wildlife. , if its birds you want the 200-600 , 400 is on the short side the new sigma 500 prime looks good . Its very light and is getting good reviews downside is converters wont work with it which Body are you using

Last edited:
I've had it since the earlier days and although I have used it a few times it's mostly sat unused.

I don't know how many 50/55's I have at the mo without running upstairs and counting but it's in the region of 15 or so (and I have sold some) but of course I only have the one AF 50-ish lens and it's this Sony 55mm f1.8.

I used to use my film era lenses sort of in rotation and I've recently decided to do the same with my native lenses. Native lens wise I've used the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 and Sony 35mm f2.8 the most but I'm going to try and use the Sony lenses more, the Sony 55 and 35mm f1.8's and the 28mm f2 but the 20mm f1.8, 24mm f2.8 and 85mm f1.8 will probably remain little used special use lenses. I think I've decided to sell the 28-60mm and keep the 28-70mm kit lens because contrary to popular opinion I actually think the old kit lens is the better lens although the new one is collapsible and that's attractive.

I did advertise most of my Nikon film era lenses here but only managed to sell one. I'll put most of my Rokkor, Zuiko and FD lenses up for sale here and see what sells and then I'll ring a dealer and see if I can pass most on. I plan on keeping a Nippon Kogaku, either the 50mm f1.4 or f2 and I'll keep my Rokkor 55mm f1.7 and possibly a couple or three Zuiko's and that's it.

It was the first E mount lens I bought at the very beginning - 2015 sometime. But the same as you, I just didn't get on with the focal length difference which is pretty silly for 5mm!!

The other week in North Devon, I actually used the 24GM more than normal for beach/coastal photos - which I guess is to be expected. And I also pulled off some nice shots at Lynmouth on the way home with the T70-180mm too. I used the 35GM a bit (and the X100f) and the FE85 once when I just wanted to use the messenger bag and not lug around the Tamron.

Back