The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Anyone been to Farnborough Airshow before? Wondering if it's worth taking the camera or not, I imagine my 28-200 would be the most suitable lens I have.

I like my D810 and the Nikon 70-200mm v2, but it was primarily for landscapes and the weather has been so crap up here that I've not used it for months. It's too bulky for anything else.

I've found myself looking at the far more compact A7CR, which appears to have excellent dynamic range as well as the epic AF, Is this a camera worth considering? I would probably initially pair it with a Sigma 40mm or 50mm 1.4 DG DN ART and look at a longer focal range later on for the big pano stitches.

I like my D810 and the Nikon 70-200mm v2, but it was primarily for landscapes and the weather has been so crap up here that I've not used it for months. It's too bulky for anything else.

I've found myself looking at the far more compact A7CR, which appears to have excellent dynamic range as well as the epic AF, Is this a camera worth considering? I would probably initially pair it with a Sigma 40mm or 50mm 1.4 DG DN ART and look at a longer focal range later on for the big pano stitches.

A different camera but it has the same form factor, I am enjoying using my A7CII.

However it is a bit gimped for the small form factor. No joystick is a pain, only one card slot isn’t an issue for me for hobbyist stuff but will be for others. It also has a flip out screen rather than a tilt.

I wouldn’t want it as my only camera personally. It works for me best with the smaller more basic lenses like the Samyang tiny series. It would be a bit unwieldy with a larger prime lens like the Siggy 50mm art.

You would probably be better of with the A7RV. Would still be a big improvement over your DSLR both in terms of size and specification. Would be a much better fit with normal to large size glass. It also has 2 card slots, much better e.v.f, a joystick, an lcd that both tilts and flips, plus lots of other advantages.

You will see very little size and weight saving using the A7CR over the A7RV if your are planning on using larger lenses but will lose an awful lot in terms of spec and ergonomics.

Last edited:
A new manual 35mm f1.4... M mount...

I think it looks nice and the pictures too but it's rather expensive at between £636 and £684 so it's competing with Voigtlander rather than the cheaper Chinese offerings.

I haven't got anything to post or even keep due to the weather here but I've been using my Voigtlander color skopar 35mm f2.5 and I think it's a very nice lens, the only issue being its poor minimum focus distance. A close focus filter helps but the range from min to max distance with my usual No.4 attached is small.

You are not going have fun with A7c series if you continue using f1.4 prime and f2.8 zooms on it.
Have a look at f1.8-2.8 primes from Sony, sigma and samyang. For your 70-200mm replacement consider the new Sony 70-200mm f4ii or tamron 70-180mm F2.8 G2.
That way you'll make a large noticeable difference in the size and weight.

A different camera but it has the same form factor, I am enjoying using my A7CII.

However it is a bit gimped for the small form factor. No joystick is a pain, only one card slot isn’t an issue for me for hobbyist stuff but will be for others. It also has a flip out screen rather than a tilt.

I wouldn’t want it as my only camera personally. It works for me best with the smaller more basic lenses like the Samyang tiny series. It would be a bit unwieldy with a larger prime lens like the Siggy 50mm art.

You would probably be better of with the A7RV. Would still be a big improvement over your DSLR both in terms of size and specification. Would be a much better fit with normal to large size glass. It also has 2 card slots, much better e.v.f, a joystick, an lcd that both tilts and flips, plus lots of other advantages.

You will see very little size and weight saving using the A7CR over the A7RV if your are planning on using larger lenses but will lose an awful lot in terms of spec and ergonomics.

You are not going have fun with A7c series if you continue using f1.4 prime and f2.8 zooms on it.
Have a look at f1.8-2.8 primes from Sony, sigma and samyang. For your 70-200mm replacement consider the new Sony 70-200mm f4ii or tamron 70-180mm F2.8 G2.

Thanks both, some good points for me to mull over. I've been humming and hawing over the Sigma 40mm 1.4 for the D810 for ages and was hoping it would drop further in price, but the damn thing has actually gone up! lol My hesitation with getting this lens is the autofocus ability of using it wide open with the D810 and saying shooting my dog etc. I would have no such worry with the Sony A7CR/2 and A7RV range, but yes I can certainly see how unbalanced such lenses will be on the A7Cx.

I'll keep researching :)

Thanks both, some good points for me to mull over. I've been humming and hawing over the Sigma 40mm 1.4 for the D810 for ages and was hoping it would drop further in price, but the damn thing has actually gone up! lol My hesitation with getting this lens is the autofocus ability of using it wide open with the D810 and saying shooting my dog etc. I would have no such worry with the Sony A7CR/2 and A7RV range, but yes I can certainly see how unbalanced such lenses will be on the A7Cx.

I'll keep researching :)

Might be worth noting that the A7RIV and A7RV share the same sensor as the older model can be bought a lot cheaper.

The A7RV has the newer a.f and is just a quicker camera to use as well as having upgrades in other areas as well. May not matter for Landscape use.

Wouldn’t recommend either for shooting your dog though. Would be better of with the A1.

Last edited:
Might be worth noting that the A7RIV and A7RV share the same sensor as the older model can be bought a lot cheaper.

The A7RV has the newer a.f and is just a quicker camera to use as well as having upgrades in other areas as well. May not matter for Landscape use.

Wouldn’t recommend either for shooting your dog though. Would be better of with the A1.

I was seriously looking at the A7RIV in the past, but I decided not too and it may have been due to the AF or perhaps some other reasons, but I can't remember the specifics, My A9 1st gen was great for shooting my dog, so I would have hoped the A7RV would be even better? I looks pretty much real time speed in the videos I've watched?

Firmware updates just hit this morning for the

A7RV
A7CR
A7CII
ZV-E1

Benefits:

• Fixes an issue where the camera could restart if many faces were simultaneously recognized at the same time when shooting a movies
  • Fixes an issue where the time code wasn’t always retained after a power restart
  • Fixes an issue where the certain custom key operations may cause the restart
  • Improves the exposure stability when using extended ISO during movie recordings
  • Improves the operational stability of the camera

I was seriously looking at the A7RIV in the past, but I decided not too and it may have been due to the AF or perhaps some other reasons, but I can't remember the specifics, My A9 1st gen was great for shooting my dog, so I would have hoped the A7RV would be even better? I looks pretty much real time speed in the videos I've watched?

I haven't used the A7RV personally but by all accounts the a,f is good but not as reliable as the A1 or A9III. Purely just going on what other wedding photographers/videographers have told me,

I have an A7RIVa and I don't feel the a,f is as good as my A9's, A7IV's or even my A7CII.

All those megapixels need a lot of processing power.,

Dedication to the job :eek:

Seen that a few times :ROFLMAO:

I found the A7RIV lacking in AF for shooting running dogs, especially running towards the camera.

I agree here ^ I think if I were going for the small form factor I'd be looking at the small f/2.? G range - the 40mm and is it the 24/28mm..?

Same with the A7R5 as you know.
Yep, but I believe it’s a step forward over the IV? I think if you want the best in this area you have to go with one of the sports cameras (I put the OM1 in this bracket too (y))

£1299 for the new siggy 50mm f/1.2.

Decent price, compared to the G.M.

Based only on the reviews that have already hit seems like the G.M will still be the better lens but not by much and you are splitting hairs really. 4 motors versus 2, less C.A than the Siggy as well, less vignette.

IMG_9869.jpeg

With the price difference you would need to be mad to buy the G.M now. The siggy could end up under 1k grey market once the dust settles.

Last edited:
I agree here ^ I think if I were going for the small form factor I'd be looking at the small f/2.? G range - the 40mm and is it the 24/28mm..?

24mm f2.8, 40 and 50mm f2.5's and not forgetting the good old 35mm f2.8.

The 28mm f2 is larger than these but smaller than the 35 and 55mm f1.8's.

Yep, but I believe it’s a step forward over the IV? I think if you want the best in this area you have to go with one of the sports cameras (I put the OM1 in this bracket too (y))
That’s right mate. Sticking with Olympus for action.

Based only on the reviews that have already hit seems like the G.M will still be the better lens but not by much and you are splitting hairs really. 4 motors versus 2, less C.A than the Siggy as well, less vignette.

View attachment 418350

With the price difference you would need to be mad to buy the G.M now. The siggy could end up under 1k grey market once the dust settles.
Nice lens. Sony will have to move on price eventually. Viltrox is coming with f/1.2 line not long after so there will be nowhere to hide. 15fps is nasty limit but really when you think about it most would hardly need to exceed it just a few times a year if that

Firmware updates just hit this morning for the

A7RV
A7CR
A7CII
ZV-E1

Benefits:

• Fixes an issue where the camera could restart if many faces were simultaneously recognized at the same time when shooting a movies
  • Fixes an issue where the time code wasn’t always retained after a power restart
  • Fixes an issue where the certain custom key operations may cause the restart
  • Improves the exposure stability when using extended ISO during movie recordings
  • Improves the operational stability of the camera
Yep, everything except the A1.

View attachment 418350

Depends how much you got the GM for ;)

I can only assume the Northrups have a bad copy of the Sigma 50mm f1.2 as the corner looks really bad in the video at 1:39
IMG_7416.jpeg

But on here it’s a very close call.

L'm
I can only assume the Northrups have a bad copy of the Sigma 50mm f1.2 as the corner looks really bad in the video at 1:39
View attachment 418376

But on here it’s a very close call.

Bad copies and the grief they cause, makes my blood boil.

L'm

Bad copies and the grief they cause, makes my blood boil.
Yeah quality control should be better. It’s not just third party though, I had to replace my first Sony 20-70mm :(

You would think they'd give an extra check on lenses sent out for review.
Dunno. I guess it could be user error, it’s the Northrups after all ;)

Interesting comments about the siggy having worse vignetting than the GM. It has the most vignetting of any modern lens I've used, and is only tolerated because it's so good in every other area. Sometimes I find myself manually correcting for it, even with automatic lens corrections turned on. Just how bad is the sigma then?

To be fair I thought on this occasion their review seemed decent and without their usual waffling.
I just flicked through with the sound off ;)

Interesting comments about the siggy having worse vignetting than the GM. It has the most vignetting of any modern lens I've used, and is only tolerated because it's so good in every other area. Sometimes I find myself manually correcting for it, even with automatic lens corrections turned on. Just how bad is the sigma then?
From my experience the Samyang 50mm f1.4 FE II was noticeably worse than the GM, although I prefer a vignette anyway :runaway:

Nice shot, Lee
I like that (y)
I've been tempted in the past to replace my 24GM with a 35mm but decided to keep it and shoot in crop mode - 2 lenses in 1 ;)

Thank you :)

That's one of the reasons I picked up the A7Riii - firstly it was a good deal, it was an upgrade in several areas, and I can shoot a bit looser with the 35GM and almost have 2 lenses in one myself. Certainly better than buying and carrying a 50GM around with me :)

Back