The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Last edited:
This is a bit late for a Sony 50mm f1.2 review and some here have one but I thought I'd post it here as I like his reviews.

Last edited:
I think A9iii is Sony's play at the Olympics. High res isn't necessarily all that important for sports togs I guess, they'll probably appreciate the features in A9iii more than a high res sensor
Appreciate that. Just thinking A1 being the 'flagship' that's all.

Worlds cheapest a.f lens for full frame at £114 including delivery?

Is it any good?

I went for the Sony 20mm f1.8 because one of my dreams is to go on a cruise and hopefully see and photograph the northern lights and I thought f1.8 would be better than f2.8 for that but for more general use I'd imagine that this f2.8 would be perfectly fine.

Another thing... I think the quality and price of some of the Chinese lenses that've come out recently make film era lenses look a less attractive option as they're getting older and it's harder to find nice ones at reasonable price. The only things left in favour of older lenses are maybe their build and handling.

Is it any good?

I went for the Sony 20mm f1.8 because one of my dreams is to go on a cruise and hopefully see and photograph the northern lights and I thought f1.8 would be better than f2.8 for that but for more general use I'd imagine that this f2.8 would be perfectly fine.

Another thing... I think the quality and price of some of the Chinese lenses that've come out recently make film era lenses look a less attractive option as they're getting older and it's harder to find nice ones at reasonable price. The only things left in favour of older lenses are maybe their build and handling.

It is surprisingly not bad at all for what it is. Focuses reasonably close as well which is a nice bonus over the Samyang 18mm. Seems to control C.A better than the Samyang 18mm as well.

I only bought it as couldn’t resist at such a cheap price for a brand new lens. Seems to be unreal value for money.

A.F is even pretty snappy which I wasn't really expecting. Mine came with the newest firmware already installed, apparently this improved a.f performance by a good bit.

The corners aren't great as you would probably expect.

Have nothing to complain about really, build quality is better than I expected as well.

The only negative thing I can say is that it took an age for it to be delivered, must have been sent using the cheapest delivery option FedEx provide and then with the Easter holidays as well. Viltrox were also a little slow in shipping it as well.

Obviously it isn't going to compare well with the Sony 20mm but you wouldn't expect it too.

If anyone fancies taking a punt on one there are lots of discount codes around to get it down to the £114 price when ordering direct from Viltrox, I used Dustin Abbott's discount code which was DUSTINABBOTT.

It is a good choice for someone using the A7C series due to the tiny size and small weight or for someone wanting to try a cheap wide angle at a very cheap price. Have no idea at all how on earth they managed to make these so cheap, even the packaging is reasonably premium feel to it.

Yer man with the really annoying voice seemed to like it.

View: https://youtu.be/VRwONvWc7C8?si=K9nMmkAhB7aRitXC

Last edited:
I am a bit tempted. I have the Sony f1.8 but a lens that small and cheap would go nicely into my small lens collection but in reality I should just make do with the Sony 24mm f2.8 G I already have as I only use lenses wider of longer than 35/50 now and again anyway.

For someone who doesn't have a small wide and doesn't demand high performance across the frame that does look to be a good buy.

I am a bit tempted. I have the Sony f1.8 but a lens that small and cheap would go nicely into my small lens collection but in reality I should just make do with the Sony 24mm f2.8 G I already have as I only use lenses wider of longer than 35/50 now and again anyway.

For someone who doesn't have a small wide and doesn't demand high performance across the frame that does look to be a good buy.

Honestly I would be very surprised if you would be disappointed, I have spent more money on takeaway food for the family. If you consider the price, it's exceptional. I will be surprised if they stay so cheap for long as they could easily charge more than 2 times the price and it would still be good value.

I will be keeping a very close eye on Viltrox from here on in.

Honestly I would be very surprised if you would be disappointed, I have spent more money on takeaway food for the family. If you consider the price, it's exceptional. I will be surprised if they stay so cheap for long as they could easily charge more than 2 times the price and it would still be good value.

I do tend to look for issues but I usually decide to live with them as they mostly don't stop me using the kit for what I want to do and achieve so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be disappointed.

I vowed I'd never buy another compact! But decided to trade in my second camera body (A5100 + kit zoom) for a 'Like New' used ZV-1. Only a small balance to pay. I've retained my A6700 with a few decent quality G and ZA lenses.

With previous compacts I've invariably found that after a few months dust gets on the sensor as a result of the suction effect of the zoom lens. And of course it is annoying inaccessible.

Has anyone had this issue with the ZV-1?

I do tend to look for issues but I usually decide to live with them as they mostly don't stop me using the kit for what I want to do and achieve so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be disappointed.

They have a 40mm f/2.5 in the same series due to launch soon as well.

IMG_9898.jpeg

I am actually pretty happy with the Samyang 45mm I have for my A7CII. If this is as cheap as chips as well though I might pick one of these up anyway.

It is surprisingly not bad at all for what it is. Focuses reasonably close as well which is a nice bonus over the Samyang 18mm. Seems to control C.A better than the Samyang 18mm as well.

I only bought it as couldn’t resist at such a cheap price for a brand new lens. Seems to be unreal value for money.

A.F is even pretty snappy which I wasn't really expecting. Mine came with the newest firmware already installed, apparently this improved a.f performance by a good bit.

The corners aren't great as you would probably expect.

Have nothing to complain about really, build quality is better than I expected as well.

The only negative thing I can say is that it took an age for it to be delivered, must have been sent using the cheapest delivery option FedEx provide and then with the Easter holidays as well. Viltrox were also a little slow in shipping it as well.

Obviously it isn't going to compare well with the Sony 20mm but you wouldn't expect it too.

If anyone fancies taking a punt on one there are lots of discount codes around to get it down to the £114 price when ordering direct from Viltrox, I used Dustin Abbott's discount code which was DUSTINABBOTT.

It is a good choice for someone using the A7C series due to the tiny size and small weight or for someone wanting to try a cheap wide angle at a very cheap price. Have no idea at all how on earth they managed to make these so cheap, even the packaging is reasonably premium feel to it.

Yer man with the really annoying voice seemed to like it.

View: https://youtu.be/VRwONvWc7C8?si=K9nMmkAhB7aRitXC
Cheers for this, I think I’m going to grab one too, I can see me heading in the same direction as @woof woof with primes at this rate haha.

Zooms only confuse me. With a prime you know what it is and where to stand. It makes life simpler :D
That’s very true, I had the same issue with m4/3s I started off primarily with Panasonic lenses that turned clockwise to zoom, then picked up an Olympus, it confused me all the time, the zoom went anti-clockwise.

I vowed I'd never buy another compact! But decided to trade in my second camera body (A5100 + kit zoom) for a 'Like New' used ZV-1. Only a small balance to pay. I've retained my A6700 with a few decent quality G and ZA lenses.

With previous compacts I've invariably found that after a few months dust gets on the sensor as a result of the suction effect of the zoom lens. And of course it is annoying inaccessible.

Has anyone had this issue with the ZV-1?
I had a play with the 6700 at the NEC and was quite impressed

In your opinion a speech impediment is something weird?

When it’s mixed up with that dudes accent it is definitely annoying as hell and very grating. Maybe weird is the wrong word to use. I dislike his voice a lot though, I find it very annoying.

Where was that from?

How are you getting on with the viewfinder on the A7CII or do you just ignore it and use the screen?

Haven’t any issues with the viewfinder, but I had an A6400 a while back so am used to it.

Haven’t any issues with the viewfinder, but I had an A6400 a while back so am used to it.
Thanks for that, I'm toying with the idea of getting one for the rare occasion I want wider than 24mm. I rarely take the 17-28 Tamron with me as it's rather big on the A7C. Just wandering if the viltrox would be good enough for me to sell the Tamron.

I picked up the Viltrox 20mm in Hong Kong, I very nearly sold it on my return as I rarely shoot wide but given cost to performance ratio I decided it might as well stay in the bag for next time. It's truly a bargain and would happily recommend it to anyone. It makes me want to try out their more premium 16mm lens.

I picked up the Viltrox 20mm in Hong Kong, I very nearly sold it on my return as I rarely shoot wide but given cost to performance ratio I decided it might as well stay in the bag for next time. It's truly a bargain and would happily recommend it to anyone. It makes me want to try out their more premium 16mm lens.
The 16mm f1.8 is really amazing. Only wish it was a wee bit lighter but apart from that it's fantastic all round inc. option to use regular filters. I swapped from the Sony 14GM to the viltrox 16 and no regrets here :)

I bought it mainly for shooting nightscapes, astro and northern lights. It's done all those very well so far. But I mostly use 20-70mm G as my main walkabout lens and serves as my main UWA lens.

When it’s mixed up with that dudes accent it is definitely annoying as hell and very grating. Maybe weird is the wrong word to use. I dislike his voice a lot though, I find it very annoying.
Each to their own

Each to their own

Don't worry I am not the only one. I know lots of people that don't watch his stuff because of his annoying voice.

Well the annoying voice and the fact that every review follows the exact same format,

Don't worry I am not the only one. I know lots of people that don't watch his stuff because of his annoying voice.

Well the annoying voice and the fact that every review follows the exact same format,
"related to bokeh is longitudinal chromatic aberration " :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

"due to the effects of diffraction" :headbang:

I nearly bought yours :ROFLMAO:

I nearly bought yours :ROFLMAO:

Yeah I remember, it made no sense for me in the end. I'd probably have ended up buying it again the next Hong Kong/City trip as it's really the only time I shoot wide.

This is interesting... Using speed boosters on FF...

As it's quiet and just for fun...

Is there anything you might want that might be in the pipeline? Or even not in the pipeline?

I suppose there are a few things that could tempt me...

A really compact 50mm f1.8 with better focus than the current cheapo Sony 50mm.
A Sony mount Voigtlander 28mm f1.2.
A Sony mount Voigtlander 50mm f1.4 of the same sort of size and quality as their 35mm f1.4 for Sony mount.
An A7 with retro look and dials like the Nikon and Fuji offerings.

That's about it for me :D

Last edited:
As it's quiet and just for fun...

Is there anything you might want that might be in the pipeline? Or even not in the pipeline?

I suppose there are a few things that could tempt me...

A really compact 50mm f1.8 with better focus than the current cheapo Sony 50mm.
A Sony mount Voigtlander 28mm f1.2.
A Sony mount Voigtlander 50mm f1.4 of the same sort of size and quality as their 35mm f1.4 for Sony mount.
An A7 with retro look and dials like the Nikon and Fuji offerings.

That's about it for me :D

I would pick up a 50 1.8 if it was small, had fast a.f and decent I.Q. There is a ton of fifties but none of them are great, other than the G.M.

Can’t really think of anything else maybe a fisheye or a tilt shift.

I am keen to see how the new Viltrox lab series lenses perform when they launch.

Have been waiting for a replacement for the 85 G.M for an age think it’s due soon but I have the Siggy art now which I am happy enough with it. Unless the new G.M is something special I probably won’t bother changing.

I would probably snap up a 200 f/2 if one ever became available. I would probably never use it but would buy it anyway.

Probably won’t ever happen but I would have a hard look at a Sony medium format if it ever became available.

Last edited:
Back