The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Can someone please buy that A6000 in the classifieds before I do. I know I don't need one as I have two RF style MFT cameras and what for me is an almost complete set of lenses sat there doing nothing.

On the mp point, 24mp is more than enough for sports photographers. Many were shooting with 12/16mp Nikon’s until recently. The pics will mostly be displayed at 800px max online or printed in papers or magazines. Higher mp = slower transfers and that’s the last thing they want.

Read something interesting about the A9II this morning apparently the A7RIV is the same.

With the older bodies like the A9 when you are using just as an example a 24 f/1.4 at f/4 the camera will try and focus with the lens opened up to f/4, with the newer bodies they will open the aperture fully to focus when required and then close it back down to your desired setting to take the photo. Which is ideal for say the dance floor and low light scenes.

Read something interesting about the A9II this morning apparently the A7RIV is the same.

With the older bodies like the A9 when you are using just as an example a 24 f/1.4 at f/4 the camera will try and focus with the lens opened up to f/4, with the newer bodies they will open the aperture fully to focus when required and then close it back down to your desired setting to take the photo. Which is ideal for say the dance floor and low light scenes.
That's nonsense. The a7r2 let alone the mk3 does that.

I was the one who kicked up a fuss when the r2 diddnt do that but now it does from the last firmware it had

That's nonsense. The a7r2 let alone the mk3 does that.

I was the one who kicked up a fuss when the r2 diddnt do that but now it does from the last firmware it had

I haven't checked it but I was reading about it this morning on a Facebook group where the members are all Sony professional users or Sony's own rep's and they all say that this absolutely the case. I have no reason to doubt that they know what they are talking about as some of them work for Sony.

I haven't checked it but I was reading about it this morning on a Facebook group where the members are all Sony professional users or Sony's own rep's and they all say that this absolutely the case. I have no reason to doubt that they know what they are talking about as some of them work for Sony.
Weird as the r2 had that issue and was fixed via firmware.

Anyways

Do you guys think with the ne and chip inside that the buffer capacity and speed will be far greater than the A9?

I've been reading comments on the A9ii and it's beginning to make sense and looking like a decent upgrade with useful features for pro sports shooters and the like.

I know people here wanted a more radical upgrade but it is what it is and I can envisage the relatively small market this seems to be aimed at being reasonably happy with this new model.

I've been reading comments on the A9ii and it's beginning to make sense and looking like a decent upgrade with useful features for pro sports shooters and the like.

I know people here wanted a more radical upgrade but it is what it is and I can envisage the relatively small market this seems to be aimed at being reasonably happy with this new model.

I agree.
I don't know why they didn't put the newer spec EVF in the A9ii, but they needed to bring out a solid camera in time for people to buy it and have confidence with it before the Olympics - the A9ii is clearly targeted at sports photographers who liked the A9, but had a few niggles with it.
Sony will have further developments in the pipeline - there may be a 36Mp sensor that can perform to the level of the A9 / A9ii sensor - or they may have been aiming for a 24Mp Global shutter sensor - if Sony had either of those developed to a state where they could have put them in the A9ii they probably would have, but from a marketing perspective they want cameras at the Olympics, and they clearly believe the A9ii offers the best chance of that for them.

I agree.
I don't know why they didn't put the newer spec EVF in the A9ii, but they needed to bring out a solid camera in time for people to buy it and have confidence with it before the Olympics - the A9ii is clearly targeted at sports photographers who liked the A9, but had a few niggles with it.
Sony will have further developments in the pipeline - there may be a 36Mp sensor that can perform to the level of the A9 / A9ii sensor - or they may have been aiming for a 24Mp Global shutter sensor - if Sony had either of those developed to a state where they could have put them in the A9ii they probably would have, but from a marketing perspective they want cameras at the Olympics, and they clearly believe the A9ii offers the best chance of that for them.

There was a comment above or maybe somewhere else that it's to do with the refresh rate. The one they currently use having some advantage or other... That could be true...

Weird as the r2 had that issue and was fixed via firmware.

It wasn't, the Sony's have always behaved stupidly in this area and it's not helped because it varies by lens and setting. The R4 actually has a setting to control it too (doesn't the A9 too?). I certainly have that issue on the A73.

Last edited:
It wasn't, the Sony's have always behaved stupidly in this area and it's not helped because it varies by lens and setting. The R4 actually has a setting to control it too (doesn't the A9 too?). I certainly have it on the A73.

A9 doesn’t have it.

Taken the plunge and got an A9 with a couple of lenses (still hanging on to some Nikon kit for now though)......where the hell do you start??

I found a few bits on You tube, but wondered if anyone had any recommendations that they found really useful?

Thanks

Taken the plunge and got an A9 with a couple of lenses (still hanging on to some Nikon kit for now though)......where the hell do you start??

I found a few bits on You tube, but wondered if anyone had any recommendations that they found really useful?

Thanks

@dancook

Thanks
Although i have the A7r IV i found this very helpful - a9 guide
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9hCwoSIKzc
Rob.

@treeman

Personally I setup the A9 for Continuous Autofocus with Lock-On AF: Expand Flexible Spot, with Face and Eye detection enabled. Also with low speed 5fps burst unless I need more.

I setup my AF-ON button with a 'Recall Custom Hold' with Static AF, centre point focus - which I use when the tracking is not picking the point I want and need to quickly override it.

Always with the electronic shutter unless I need to use flash.

I set my auto-ISO max to 6400 and auto-ISO min shutter speed 1/250th

Last edited:
Sony are saying that the A9II will have better ISO performance due to the new processor. I'm not sure how much better it will be as it's the same sensor but if that is the case could that also mean the DR may be a bit better to as it's not great in the A9? for some reason I'm still thinking of ordering an A9II although I was very disappointed by the minor upgrade.

I believe so

PDAF striping?

I had sky tones in crude layers when shooting into the sun, and while it formed bands, it was not striping in the way PDAF generates stripes but just compression artifacts. I turned off comtression and while away I shot into the sun a few times and had no issues with artifacts. It may be the PDAF thing for you, rather than compression problems.

On a related note, E-Infinity have the 6100 priced higher than the 6400

Last edited:
I had sky tones in crude layers when shooting into the sun, and while it formed bands, it was not striping in the way PDAF generates stripes but just compression artifacts. I turned off comtression and while away I shot into the sun a few times and had no issues with artifacts. It may be the PDAF thing for you, rather than compression problems.

I shoot into the sun a lot but it’s the first time I’ve come across it. I may try turning off the compression.

Back