The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Replacement Samyang 45mm just arrived from Camera Centre. This one seems much better than the original one that was sent. No internal dust, a.f is better and while it it still has a bit of a.f noise it’s no where near as bad as the last one they sent. The last one must have been a Friday afternoon lens. I think this lens would be a good option for someone who wants a 50ish lens but wants something better than the FE50 but doesn't want to stretch to the cost of the Zeiss 55.

E019B96C-7D77-4DEC-8D0B-FCAC5AE72DA9.jpeg

Pretty good service from Camera Centre to be fair got the new lens sent out a.s.a.p

Last edited:
Last edited:
Help with lose of focus and aperture control

Wonder if any of you guys have run across a situation where a lens works for a while and then two things happen at once:
* AF stops working (and MF on a fly-by-wire lens)
* aperture displayed on camera changes to "f-"

This is with a Sony LA-EA1 adapter and an A-mount lens. I'm suspecting a bad contact, and wondered if this is the same sort of problem that crops up with lens-to-body contacts in general.

(To fix the above, I have to switch off the camera PLUS dismount the lens and remount it.)

Bonus question: contact cleaning alcohol on a q-tip?

I think a concern would be the price. A brand new a7r4 from the grey market is still £2,370. Why someone would be selling one at £1,850 that's supposedly brand new would be raising some red flags for me.
Same here.
When I saw £1850 I jumped on ebay to check the prices with the interest of buying. Then saw they were all around £2400 :oops: :$ :cautious:

Gitzo are doing an alpha 1545 traveller kit for £460.

The lust is strong on this one.
If you can get a Gitzo alpha 1545 traveller with the 82TQD at £460 that’s a great price. The best I’ve seen is £597 at WEX.

I picked up the 100 year anniversary traveller model last year when they were selling them off. It’s basically the model as the 1545T with 82TQD just with some different colouring and presentation box. When I want to go light it’s a great option at around 1.3kg.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for all your responses regarding shutter life cycle. I asked because someone is offering me an a7r3 for £1600 with just under 15,000 shutter actuations and someone else is offering a Brand New a7r4 for £1850. Advertised it through Ebay via a Classifieds Ad, would have Ebay buyer protection but wants a BT. He has 100% reputation over 350 transactions.. So I’m not sure which is a good deal ? Like you have all said, I’ll be lucky if I get it to 75,000 shutter actuations.
I’d be wary as it’s possibly a hacked account. Asking for BT whilst selling is a low price on eBay are warning signs for me.

Last edited:
Nikon counts silent shutter as well as mechanical in their shutter count, does Sony do the same?
Not going by the tests I did last night using that website (see previous post with shutter counts. My shutter count had gone up by 1025 but file name was up by 3868 which is in line with the number of RAWS I have in lightroom for that period).

Thanks. I've just tried that. It looks like its mechanical shutter count only.

December 2018
View attachment 266099

October 2020
View attachment 266098

I've taken at least 3868 going by the file number (thats roughly the number of RAWs I have in LR) in the last year but the shutter count has only gone up 1025. I've mainly used the silent shutter since owning the A7R3 so that makes sense. I still think my overall mech shutter and silent shutter count is probably around 9666 (using the shutter count info) but I was hoping of a way to find out exactly the number taken.

Last edited:
That will be the reason. It’s s mechanical shutter count.

It’s bit of a weird one as I agree it should show the mechanical count only but it should also give an overall image count (both electronic and mechanical shutter) as otherwise it’s not a true reflection of camera use.
Shutter count doesn't tell the full story either. Someone who covered say 5 sports event in one month and then sells the camera. I would say hardly used it

Shutter count doesn't tell the full story either. Someone who covered say 5 sports event in one month and then sells the camera. I would say hardly used it

Agreed, you can have an immaculate 20k camera vs a dog with a couple thousand, people treat their gear differently. Ive seen some terrible examples where people advertise them as mint.

Agreed, you can have an immaculate 20k camera vs a dog with a couple thousand, people treat their gear differently. Ive seen some terrible examples where people advertise them as mint.

When I sold my 5D2 after like 4-5 years of weddings.

Got this message back from the buyer when he received it.

DEMA5Ww.png

That is true. I agree it only one of a few points that gives you an idea of use. Usually you can tell by the overall condition but the paint seems to come off Sony cameras quite easily especially along the edges.

My point is you could potentially have a camera that’s taken 100,000’s of images but with a mechanical shutter count of less than 1,000. That could potentially be sold on by someone as ‘hardly used’ even though it’s probably seen quite a bit of use. As we have already seen shutter count on Sony’s can’t be relied on as a pointer on condition/previous use as they were with DSLRs.

That is true. I agree it only one of a few points that gives you an idea of use. Usually you can tell by the overall condition but the paint seems to come off Sony cameras quite easily especially along the edges.

My point is you could potentially have a camera that’s taken 100,000’s of images but with a mechanical shutter count of less than 1,000. That could potentially be sold on by someone as ‘hardly used’ even though it’s probably seen quite a bit of use. As we have already seen shutter count on Sony’s can’t be relied on as a pointer on condition/previous use as they were with DSLRs.

Yeah, but ES count doesnt really matter, its not a mechanical part so wont be nearly as prone to failure. This is another benefit of MILC for both manufacturer and consumer, less moving parts. less failure, lower costs, less chance of warranty claims. DSLR days are numbered, they can still offer a decent product in MILC at lower cost when people arent really buying these types of high end cameras anymore.

Last edited:
I’d be wary as it’s possibly a hacked account. Asking for BT whilst selling is a low price on eBay are warning signs for me.

I totally agree Rob. I’ve just got back from Wex and in the end I picked up the a7r3 graded 10. I even got them to give me a 128gb SD Card.

I totally agree Rob. I’ve just got back from Wex and in the end I picked up the a7r3 graded 10. I even got them to give me a 128gb SD Card.

What lens you got. ?

Don't you already have the r3?

No, had the a73. Have now passed it to a fellow forum member as couldn’t have both..

Yeah, but ES count doesnt really matter, its not a mechanical part so wont be nearly as prone to failure. This is another benefit of MILC for both manufacturer and consumer, less moving parts. less failure, lower costs, less chance of warranty claims. DSLR days are numbered, they can still offer a decent product in MILC at lower cost when people arent really buying these types of high end cameras anymore.
I agree, which is why I find it weird Nikon include ES on the overall count. Tbh I’ve not checked my Olympus to see what that does.

Back