The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Sorry no, in fact after the A6000 with 24mm f/1.8 that I had the A7mkII has been a big AF disappointment. So much so that I have sold it and am buying a 5D MkIV and will get another A6000 later.

I thought the a7 AF also sucked... a7ii isn't much better from what I read so skipped that and went for the a7rii which is pretty decent but no d750.

New UI on the Tapatalk app. It views each thread as one big list.

Also. Taking this with me for the weekend in Dusseldorf
c7a0c7207ffcfa7ba5947db4a285936d.jpg

I guess this is the correct place to post... So just ordered myself the A7rii & the 35mm Distagon 1.4
Finally making the jump (coming from a 70d with a nifty fifty and a kit lens), think this new gear including lenses should be quite a jump up from what I'm currently using. Mind you the 70d did me well, was used mainly in studio environments, and some field work but I couldn't help but want more....
I'm really looking forward to shooting full frame as well as the added bonuses of low light performance, holding so much details in raw files & the EVF! Excited! Will be ordering a 85mm 1.4gm too, will post an add in classifieds first see if I can get lucky!

I guess this is the correct place to post... So just ordered myself the A7rii & the 35mm Distagon 1.4
Finally making the jump (coming from a 70d with a nifty fifty and a kit lens), think this new gear including lenses should be quite a jump up from what I'm currently using. Mind you the 70d did me well, was used mainly in studio environments, and some field work but I couldn't help but want more....
I'm really looking forward to shooting full frame as well as the added bonuses of low light performance, holding so much details in raw files & the EVF! Excited! Will be ordering a 85mm 1.4gm too, will post an add in classifieds first see if I can get lucky!

Welcome to the club :D

The light is lovely here today... but I'm tied to the house and one step out the back door is as far as I'll get today :(

A7 and Minolta 55mm f1.7 at 100%.

DSC08101-C.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Riz! Can't wait to familiarise myself with the new gear! Need challenges ahead for. Me, stepping out of the studio, away from portraits and commercial stuff and going to try and second shoot some weddings, just need to find some wedding togs who will take me haha just want the experience so will do it for free of course :)

Ohhh the light is lovely! Great image love the vividness from the pink and orange just makes the image pop!

Ohhh the light is lovely! Great image love the vividness from the pink and orange just makes the image pop!
Welcome, I am also relatively new to the A7, having previously been with Canon 60d then 5d3) and for general everyday photography, travel etc the A7Rii is fantastic. My only gripe is the continuous AF for sport etc, but that is to be expected. The gain in other areas far outweighs the minor niggles. It has however made me lust after the A9 a little (have to wait and see how much of an increase he A7riii will be when it comes out in a couple of years.

One thing I have noticed in the jump in lens costs over the Canon, however in its favour is that the lenses seem to be of a high quality, even the lower end FE range (non GM). This brings me to my question, what is it about the 85mm GM that attracts you, if you do a hunt around various reviews, there tends not to be a huge amount of difference between the B85, FE 85 1.8 and the FE85 1.4 GM (apart from the obvious 2/3 stop)

All 3 of these were shot wide open at f1.8 on the FE 85mm 1.8

Untitled by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

There is a difference between f1.4 and f1.8 if you look at pictures side by side and obsess over the size of the out of focus bokeh highlights etc but normal people will probably not notice :D and the exposure difference may not matter. For people like us the draw of f1.4 over f1.8 is doubtless there so the question is can it be overcome.

Thank you Ali but if you spend much time in this thread you'll be asking me to stop posting 100% crops of shots taken with old lenses.

Ahhh chris don't do this to me! Lol those images look great!! I've long battled with myself over the 85 lens choice!
I believe the fe 85, would do great for weddings, but having said that sometimes the venues (especially with the Asian weddings) can be darker then usual so I think having that in extra stop just gives me a little piece of mind? (btw super friendly forum, wish I had posted earlier now haha). Also I'm glad to see you're loving your Sony! Hopefully in a few weeks I can post back and tell you about my amazing experiences haha

Haha nah I think I'll enjoy your pics! Oh weather looks great wherever you are?! Lol It's raining over here in blackburn grrrrr :/

North East cost just outside Middlesbrough.

Light on the leaves at 40%. A7 and Rokkor 55mm f1.7.

DSC08049.jpg

100%.

DSC08049-C1.jpg

Sunstars are not so great.

DSC08050.jpg

Last edited:
Ahhh chris don't do this to me! Lol those images look great!! I've long battled with myself over the 85 lens choice!
I believe the fe 85, would do great for weddings, but having said that sometimes the venues (especially with the Asian weddings) can be darker then usual so I think having that in extra stop just gives me a little piece of mind? (btw super friendly forum, wish I had posted earlier now haha). Also I'm glad to see you're loving your Sony! Hopefully in a few weeks I can post back and tell you about my amazing experiences haha

I'd imagine that Asian weddings will have a lot of colour and character to capture.

Absolutely! I've done some video work at Asian weddings before, and I've took some photos too (never as main photographer) & you're absolutely right, very colourful, extravagant and full of character. I used to work along side a perticular venue which was a little unique, it would allow the bride/groom to drive into the venue, so the car would literally be driven into the waiting area near the bar, and as the couple would walk in you'd have these girls in costume walk down the aisle before you spreading rose petals, or alternatively you could have romantic gladiators busting moves, or Greek goddesses and so on.. As you'd walk down the aisle they'd be firework fountains going off along side you... The stage (most Asian weddings have stages) would be covered in gold drapes and it will go up slow mo, with again fountains down from the ceiling, even the bloody wedding cake can be dispensed down from. The ceiling with fireworks lol It may sound a bit ott but in reality it blends and goes well with the venue!!

Golly :D If my Mrs had to have to go through that she's never have married me :D She likes minimum fuss.

Should make for some great pictures though :D and I hope you are able to post some in the future :D

:D haha yeah sure does make for some good pictures!! Gotta be careful with those indoor fireworks, if you don't adjust correctly you can easily blow out your images!
Maybe at some point I'll share some videos from the venue haha (not my best work haha talking few years back)
Also what would you say is the best form of action? In regards to second shooting weddings?

I've never shot at 1.2 would love to have a go see how creative i can get and so on :) Might have to try it out someday . For now i think the 85mm gm will have to do!

There is a difference between f1.4 and f1.8 if you look at pictures side by side and obsess over the size of the out of focus bokeh highlights etc but normal people will probably not notice :D and the exposure difference may not matter. For people like us the draw of f1.4 over f1.8 is doubtless there so the question is can it be overcome.

The cost helped me overcome the difference quite easily :)

the fe 85, would do great for weddings, but having said that sometimes the venues (especially with the Asian weddings) can be darker then usual so I think having that in extra stop just gives me a little piece of mind? (

Have a play with the ISO before making a final decision. I was amazed by how far you can push the ISO on the Sony compared to the Canon. Going from what I’ve taken so far, I’d say probably an extra couple of stops over the 5d3. This was taken at 1/40, f4 ISO8000. (along with Lightroom Settings)

Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 13.00.10.png

Last edited:
Haha my canon 70d could never produce that! Guess I'm going to have to do a field test of the low life performance... That's a great image btw! Location?

Haha my canon 70d could never produce that! Guess I'm going to have to do a field test of the low life performance... That's a great image btw! Location?

Thanks Ali, It was at Disney Springs in Florida (formally Downtown Disney). Given correct exposure I would be happy pushing it to 12,800. I took a few at this and they were fine, the only issue was I had to push the shadows so far it introduced too much noise. It was dark when I was shooting, unfortunately I didn’t have a tripod with me so I couldn’t drop the shutter speed to far. Another aspect I have been surprised with is the amount of detail you can pull back out of the highlights and shadows.

I've never had a f1.2 85mm, I had a Siggy 85mm f1.4 for Canon, also had a 25mm f0.95 for MFT and currently have 50mm f1.2 Minolta.

Ahhh well it's a nice shot! Handled it well! And yeahhh the details it holds, something else I'm looking forward to! I'll have to check out your Flickr when I'm at a desktop :)

Ohhh the 50mm 1.2, would love to try one out! Looking forward to having the extra stop and also the welcomed creamy bokeh!

Back