The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Not counting the RX10 IV then (or RX0-thing)?
Or did you mean entirely new, as opposed an upgrade?

Spoken as someone trading in an A7 II for the RX10 IV.

Sorry - I forget that this thread is no longer e mount only related. I was referring to the a7 series.

I'd take one body and one lens plus my 1" compact for wider, longer and when even an A7/A9 is too attention grabbing.

Oh yes I forgot I had a rx100m3 :confused:
Its with missus to photograph my newborn son since she is around with him normally.

It takes pretty good pictures and makes for an excellent silent back up, that also takes decent videos in a pinch. Much prefer it to nex-5n/A6000 with kit-lens. (Hence my nex-5n is on sale :D )

Oh yes I forgot I had a rx100m3 :confused:
Its with missus to photograph my newborn son since she is around with him normally.

It takes pretty good pictures and makes for an excellent silent back up, that also takes decent videos in a pinch. Much prefer it to nex-5n/A6000 with kit-lens. (Hence my nex-5n is on sale :D )

I have the RX100 III too, great little camera and the RX100 range is probably the best pocketable option around.

Or a Panasonic DMC-CM1 camera smartphone :D
I used to own one of them, they are pretty good but phone itself is a bit outdated for today's standards.

Mmm or get a Sony RX100 ;) way better IQ compared to a smartphone.

Or a Panasonic DMC-CM1 camera smartphone :D
I used to own one of them, they are pretty good but phone itself is a bit outdated for today's standards.

Come on, he's already got an A7rii and A9. You know Jonney doesn't need much encouragement to buy more shiny shiny things ;)

30e8110f6ea0ddab0290dbba579a09348c952a8177dd194400d6453f8b992a1f.jpg

But will you be able to see the screen in the bright far eastern sun?

I suppose screen shooting will be perfectly ok indoors though and as everyone else will be shooting with a phone and you wont be the only guy with a camera and so standing out.

Anyway, even if a phone is perfectly useable in the sun I just don't like taking pictures with them, hence my Panny TZ100 which is a camera and has a VF.

Last edited:
But will you be able to see the screen in the bright far eastern sun?

I suppose screen shooting will be perfectly ok indoors though and as everyone else will be shooting with a phone and you wont be the only guy with a camera and so standing out.

It’s good to stand out from the crowd.

It’s good to stand out from the crowd.

It's my nightmare. I prefer it when no one notices me, not for pervy reasons obviously :D but for reasons of security, safety and not affecting the behavior of others or spoiling their enjoyment.

Last edited:
Sony A7 now at the lower price of £699 from Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FWUD...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B00FWUDE9W
Add the Sony £100 cash back off which will get you the original A7 for £599. :D

Other price reductions too on Sony FE products inlcuding the A6500, 55mm f1.8 etc.

The Sony FE 55mm 1.8 is available for £669, add the £80 cash back = £589, tempted?

I was lucky and got my A7 with 28-70 on the lightning deal in July. £720 for the body/lens plus £100 cashback from Sony ;0)

I was lucky and got my A7 with 28-70 on the lightning deal in July. £720 for the body/lens plus £100 cashback from Sony ;0)
Yeah, I am kind of kicking myself as I could have kept one as a backup body.
Considering the Zeiss 55mm f1.8 at present..... :D

http://www.cameraegg.org/sony-rx10-a7-a7r-price-and-full-images/

If anyone can't wait 4 hours, here are the first full pictures.

The RX10 is the real shock for me. I thought the market for an expensive, pro looking bridge camera was long gone.

It works for some of us ;-)

I have scaled back my photography a bit and focussed on wildlife, motorsports and rugby for fun & personal record / memories and on an opportunity basis, plus travel photography for myself and family.. And I just got fed up with having to take body plus three lenses AND not being able to get out to 600mm without adapters, canon gear etc.

Does it support eye-AF

Actually do any of the AF samyang lenses support full native AF support?
@addicknchips - does your samyang 50mm/1.4 support all the native AF features?

only used it for a shoot last sunday (camera went back due to fault so can't test now). eye af works but I'm not sure if continuos does. i was shooting a group mainly. face detect works, single point, selective point all work.
i found the focus not quite as snappy as the 55mm but certainly better than the 50mm 1.8.. lens is sharp, especially in the center. bokeh is very nice.

its a bit noisy. you can hear it focusing and it doesnt have the premium feel to it of the zeiss 50mm 1.4 - but at its price point it should definitely be considered an option.

The 55mm f1.8 is IMO a very good lens :D

I can't say I'm all that tempted to a new A7x body but I've always fancied an A6xxx :D

We managed an hour out today so I took my A7 and Voigtlander 40mm f1.2. The weather wasn't too good and neither was the light so stand by for pretty dull pictures... :(

New coat...

DSC08207.jpg

DSC08209.jpg

Leaves, cropped to 100%.

DSC08210.jpg

DSC08212.jpg

And I had to take one at f1.2.

DSC08213-N.jpg

Last edited:
My now Mrs still calls me "pervert" because I hang around the ladies toilet with a camera. The fact that I'm only waiting for her (honest) is of course irrelevant.

Well depends, do you "wait" while peering down your EVF :p

The 55mm f1.8 is IMO a very good lens :D

I can't say I'm all that tempted to a new A7x body but I've always fancied an A6xxx :D

We managed an hour out today so I took my A7 and Voigtlander 40mm f1.2. The weather wasn't too good and neither was the light so stand by for pretty dull pictures... :(

And I had to take one at f1.2.

View attachment 113095
Love that last shot

:D

Thank you :D

I shot that at f1.2 and with a 1/160 shutter speed to blow out the sky :D

Back