The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

My understanding is that PDAF uses distances and movement as well as a way to help with tracking motion, it uses complicated software to 'predict' where the next shot should be. It's not simply a case of bringing two images together (although this is part of the process). I thought that Sony finished off with contrast detect too but my recent reading suggests that it's purely PDAF on the latest bodies which is what allows it to be as fast as DSLR, contrast detect still can't track as fast as PDAF. In AF-S it may well still be finished off with contrast detect, I don't know.

In AFS it uses contrast detect to finalise, thats why its much slower in afs.

Last edited:
My understanding is that PDAF uses distances and movement as well as a way to help with tracking motion, it uses complicated software to 'predict' where the next shot should be. It's not simply a case of bringing two images together (although this is part of the process). I thought that Sony finished off with contrast detect too but my recent reading suggests that it's purely PDAF on the latest bodies which is what allows it to be as fast as DSLR, contrast detect still can't track as fast as PDAF. In AF-S it may well still be finished off with contrast detect, I don't know.

If the issue was only in AF-C I definitely agree there lots more than can go wrong, but this front focus issue is happening in AF-S with static objects.

It does. Keep them coming people. Especially those getting the Sigma Art lenses next week. :)

qXDh6uF.jpg

qUQcLFw.jpg

9U6gGrY.jpg

Looks like I should skip the tamron and go for the sony 24-105, especially if the tamron needs to be at f4 or 5.6 to sharpen up the edges

That’s the risk of 3red party lenses, and it’s not going to be fixed unless the lens’ firmware is updated. Sigma lenses are fine but unless Tamron makes a dock, you need to send it back.

How do you know Sigma lenses are immune?

That’s the risk of 3red party lenses, and it’s not going to be fixed unless the lens’ firmware is updated. Sigma lenses are fine but unless Tamron makes a dock, you need to send it back.

It's not just 3rd party lenses having problems though. Assuming Tamron and Sigma do release e mount versions of their docks then at least you can fix it.

To quote from snapsy on the FM forums:

If the misfocus is unique to AF-S and does not occur in AF-C then that sounds like a focus shift issue, just like what was discovered on the initial copies of the Sony 24-105mm. For the Sony it wasn't optical focus shift but instead algorithmic focus shift, ie the lens dynamically adjusted focus based on the dialed-in aperture and some copies went out with their aperture-to-focus look-up table misconfigured.

Maybe the Sony 85mm f1.8 can be fixed this way as well.

Macs are pos I agree:)

Lol that’s a wild statement, my mid-2010 Apple MacBook Pro is still running today, it’s outlasted any of my previous Windows based laptops by years!
Never had a issue updating my Sony bodies on the MacBook. :)

It's not just 3rd party lenses having problems though. Assuming Tamron and Sigma do release e mount versions of their docks then at least you can fix it.

To quote from snapsy on the FM forums:

If the misfocus is unique to AF-S and does not occur in AF-C then that sounds like a focus shift issue, just like what was discovered on the initial copies of the Sony 24-105mm. For the Sony it wasn't optical focus shift but instead algorithmic focus shift, ie the lens dynamically adjusted focus based on the dialed-in aperture and some copies went out with their aperture-to-focus look-up table misconfigured.

Maybe the Sony 85mm f1.8 can be fixed this way as well.

I’m talking about that Tamron not focusing at all.

What are you taking about?

By fine I mean there is the dock which you can fix with firmware updates at home.

I thought that’s obvious as I mentioned the dock in the same sentence?

But the ef sigma lenses aren't native like the tamron.

Last edited:
Lol that’s a wild statement, my mid-2010 Apple MacBook Pro is still running today, it’s outlasted any of my previous Windows based laptops by years!

My Dell M6400 is 10 years old this year, still going strong. Of course it'll die now I've said that... :D

Your camera isn't unique. You asked what's broken. It doesn't matter if you don't use it, it's still effected.

What is affected? I have not encountered any problems, why would I waste time looking for it?

If it aren’t broke, don’t fix it.

I never said they weren't. I said your sigma is adapted and non native mount.

You say that like I don’t know it?

Actually, I don’t have any Sigma FE mount lenses...and yes it’s a Canon Mount. Why are you keep telling me things I know...

Last edited:
Anyone used the canon 135 f2 with a mc-11 ?
and if so is it near native AF speed for moving subjects ...think kids

on a A7III

Looks like I should skip the tamron and go for the sony 24-105, especially if the tamron needs to be at f4 or 5.6 to sharpen up the edges

Going by the AP numbers it shows the Tamron is roughly the same corner sharpness as the Sony 24-105mm at the same apertures. Assuming they're correct, if sharpness is your concern you should probably stick with the Tamron.

The AF issues are worrying though, wish more people would post their results so we can see if it's a rare occurrence or more of a design flaw.

Going by the AP numbers it shows the Tamron is roughly the same corner sharpness as the Sony 24-105mm at the same apertures. Assuming they're correct, if sharpness is your concern you should probably stick with the Tamron.

The AF issues are worrying though, wish more people would post their results so we can see if it's a rare occurrence or more of a design flaw.

The Tamron was my choice initially, but you are correct, the af issues are worrying and less likely to be resolved than any issues with a oem lens.
The issue did crop up a few times in the testing.

Think I’ll be cancelling the Tamron pre-order when there’s clearly some issues to be resolved with it, just wish the 24-105 was actually in stock somewhere!!!!

I'll still keep my pre-order. You can always return it if it's faulty. I wouldn't really base my decision on one report. Also I find a lot of people are poor at testing lenses.

The 24-105mm looks to be a great lens but it's not f2.8 :p
Also tamron might fix the issue by firmware update which I suspect they'll do if people properly tested the issue and reported the bug. Just moaning on a forum won't really help anyone ;)

Last edited:
the new macs are the ones having update issues! o and keyboard issues too!

Back