The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Just giving capture one a try and not sure if anyone else thinks the same but the difference in colour rendering is HUGE. Actually would make you think adobe wants the A7III files to look terrible

Just giving capture one a try and not sure if anyone else thinks the same but the difference in colour rendering is HUGE. Actually would make you think adobe wants the A7III files to look terrible

If the differences can be seen at web size how about posting an example or two?

I've been thinking of replacing CS5 but subscribing to CC doesn't appeal to me.

If the differences can be seen at web size how about posting an example or two?

I've been thinking of replacing CS5 but subscribing to CC doesn't appeal to me.
Download it and try it. Run them side by side same files. Difference is absolutely huge for skin etc

Well that's half an hour of my life wasted.

The experience started with having to kill the same pop up time after time and ended with a package that wouldn't open anything and gave an error I'd never seen before. Click on repair.... failed again... What a crock of sh!t and reminded me why my life is too busy to waste on line. I suppose I'll have to try again another day when I've got a bit more patience but the sun is shining and I have a life to live.

I prefer LR colour, C1 is just a magenta boost and loads of contrast by default.

Have you tried switching the LR profiles?

I prefer LR colour, C1 is just a magenta boost and loads of contrast by default.

Have you tried switching the LR profiles?
Not Sony specific, but I create a profile using a Colorchecker Passport for each camera to not only hopefully give accurate colours, but also accurate colours that match between different cameras. It's up to me to add any 'style'. ;) I'm not sure if you can do that with C1.:thinking: I use Adobe Camera Raw and occasionally Lightroom.

If you have a 'style' you can save that as a default preset on top of the profile so that the images open with it. Again that is with ACR or LR, I'm not sure about other programs. :thinking:

Just putting it out there when people talk about how different image processors giving different colours, and in case anyone doesn't know that you can do things like that. :)

Mmm, so he prefers the way C1 renders RAW files compared to Lightroom, but he felt everyone (on the internet) he could consult on the subject was biased towards Adobe, so he consults Phase 1! :confused: So people who use software may have a bias, but a maker of one of the the software being compared is going to be totally fair. And indeed the chap proved that for praising the way Adobe's software does certain things well. Yeah, OK then. :rolleyes: He didn't actually say, as far as I saw, which image, if any, looked like the scene in real life. :thinking:

I suppose it is good that they give trials of the software to try out. :)

As for saying that camera calibration using a colour chart is not relevant because there are many shades of colour, of course there are, but if you are showing the sensor specific colours, and then getting the profile to render those colours accurately with the profile, I would think that more of the colours in between those calibrated different colours would be more accurate. But then I don't work for Phase 1, or Adobe btw. ;)

What I do know is that I took pics of the same scene on holiday last week with a Sony RX100III and a Nikon D500, and the images look pretty much identical. And they both looked like what I was seeing with my eyes. Doesn't mean they would stay like that, but imho I have an accurate, consistent starting point, even between cameras. That works for me. :)

Try as many options as possible, and see what works for you. If something new pops up, try that, as it may be better. :) But it may not be too. ;)

A good thing he mentioned was maybe revisiting older images with new software, as the RAW processing software has made huge improvements over the years. There are some people whose old images are no longer of interest to them, each to their own. ;) I have favourite images that I always want to be the best they can be, and occasionally try new software or new techniques on them.

Last edited:
:agree:
But LR is a more complete package that offers more than CP one. I haven't found anything that does everything to a decent standard like LR6.

:agree:
But LR is a more complete package that offers more than CP one. I haven't found anything that does everything to a decent standard like LR6.

Thats the problem, everyone says they are better in some way (mostly processing) but most cant use catalogues or manage libraries, non destructive, etc etc.

They will also need to be able to read and implement Adobes file format and XML info for a seamless switch..... but that aint going to happen, most people dont want to lose all the work they've already done and thats why Adobe has a huge advantage already.

Thats the problem, everyone says they are better in some way (mostly processing) but most cant use catalogues or manage libraries, non destructive, etc etc.

They will also need to be able to read and implement Adobes file format and XML info for a seamless switch..... but that aint going to happen, most people dont want to lose all the work they've already done and thats why Adobe has a huge advantage already.
Indeed.
Also migrating to new computer and backing up LR is easy.
Virtual copy and soft proofing is awesome if you print. It's so part of the workflow now.

But i don't like the subscription model. I'll need to eventually find an alternative

Might have to consider the 55mm f1.8 or maybe even the 50mm f1.8 if I stick with Sony. A small 50mm f2 would be nice.

Fuji X-T2, Sony A9 and Canon 5D4 with 50mm (or equivalent) lenses.
by JJ, on Flickr

ta da!

Got the Sony FE 85/1.8 arrived last week, now I have my favourite 3 focal lengths covered on 3 systems….crazy, can shoot a wedding on any one of these! Now this isn't the definitive of their size comparison as I can make the Sony and Fuji slightly smaller by removing the grips, I could have got the Canon 35/2.0 or the smaller Canon 50/1.4. Similarly the Sony I could have got the Sigma 85/1.4 Art E-Mount, and the resulting aperture/bokeh effect on the Fuji doesn't compare to FF, but this is what I chose to have. The Canon is the largest and heaviest as you expect but it is the lenses that is the biggest weight gain/lost.

However the Canon are pretty much as big or heavy as you can get it with the exception of the Sigma 85/1.4A but if I had put the Sigma for the Sony then essentially Sony will have the largest and heaviest lenses of all 3.

aJfcsFa.jpg

4jm3xHH.jpg

Last edited:
I really don't know what to do between keeping one (or two) of the systems I have. Sony is the expensive option, it would be cheaper for me to keep the Canon and Fuji setups I have. This would give me full frame and a lighter smaller APS-C setup... but neither have the A9 stacked sensor! Using the X-T2 after the A9 makes it feel a bit pedestrian as well.

I've nearly bought the Sony 70-200/100-400 multiple times the last couple of days...

It's just over 2 months to Photokina and whilst I'm pretty sure Canon and Fuji won't bring out new bodies to rival the A9, they might be close enough (unlikely, bit knowing my luck!). There is the rumour is a stacked sensor for the X-T3 but that all went quiet, and seems unlikely. Likely to be something more like what Sony did with the 6500. So no EVF blackout but rolling shutter problems.

I’ve been thinking about chopping in my Fuji kit and dipping a toe into Sony water with an older model to see how it feels. I’ll be honest and say I’ve been a bit underwhelmed when I’ve picked them up previously but hey I need to be a bit more prudent about these things at present.

I was thinking about picking up an older A7R or A7ii as the used prices on these are pretty good now.

In truth I don’t need the huge MP of the a7r2 which is what led me to look at the A7ii to start really. I’m also not really wanting to drop a huge amount of cash on the new a7iiir until I know Sony is for me.

I’m wondering if anyone here is still using them and their thoughts.

I’ve been thinking about chopping in my Fuji kit and dipping a toe into Sony water with an older model to see how it feels. I’ll be honest and say I’ve been a bit underwhelmed when I’ve picked them up previously but hey I need to be a bit more prudent about these things at present.

I was thinking about picking up an older A7R or A7ii as the used prices on these are pretty good now.

In truth I don’t need the huge MP of the a7r2 which is what led me to look at the A7ii to start really. I’m also not really wanting to drop a huge amount of cash on the new a7iiir until I know Sony is for me.

I don’t think the older Sony cameras are a good indication of how good Sony is right now or because to be honest, I’d take a X-T2 over a A7II.

Performance wise I wouldn't be surprised in the Fuji is faster in operation but I'd take my A7 every single time and not just for the old lenses as pixel peeping I still haven't seen a Fuji APS-C raw that I've downloaded look as good as an A7 raw via my CS5.

For me LR wins over all the others, simply because of the fluidity of editing over different devices. I can either import to the Mac or to the iPad Pro, dependant on where I am or how anti social I’m feeling. The raw files end up on my home hardrive whichs back up to Backblaze, it the. It leaves me to edit on either device, again dependant on where I am, or if I’m being forced to spend time with the family. All photos are synced across all devices, raw files on hard drive, finished collection available across all.

I have looked at all the others and I am still to find anything else that enables me to edit the same file on both the Mac and IPad or even the wife’s macbook air

Performance wise I wouldn't be surprised in the Fuji is faster in operation but I'd take my A7 every single time and not just for the old lenses as pixel peeping I still haven't seen a Fuji APS-C raw that I've downloaded look as good as an A7 raw via my CS5.

I have to disagree.

Sony has never tempted me until this generation and time hasn’t done any favours to its first couple of bodies, it wasn’t great when it came out and its still isn’t great now.

Your obsession (?) of being able to use old lenses are VERY VERY niche, 99% of people will want auto focus and old Sony body sucks, we all know that.

And from what I’ve seen...I’d take my Fuji X-pro 1 flies over those over the A7 any day of the week too.

I don’t think the older Sony cameras are a good indication of how good Sony is right now or because to be honest, I’d take a X-T2 over a A7II.

Thanks Raymond. I currently have an X-Pro2 & X100F so the same sensor as the X-T2 and frankly I really don’t like the files from it, so that wouldn’t work for me - apart from the fact I prefer the X-Pro2 over the X-T range.

Thanks Raymond. I currently have an X-Pro2 & X100F so the same sensor as the X-T2 and frankly I really don’t like the files from it, so that wouldn’t work for me - apart from the fact I prefer the X-Pro2 over the X-T range.

I think Sony has made strides in their colour science but I think Canon still edged ahead, I find that I need a little more work to get a natural look with the Sony A73 filed to my liking.

Next you know you'll be saying you'd rather take f2.8 prime over f1.4 :p

I'd suggest getting an A7RII which is where things started to really improve. These days they go at a very good price, especially a bargain for what you get.

I'd suggest getting an A7RII which is where things started to really improve. These days they go at a very good price, especially a bargain for what you get.

My only real issue with the A7RII is the file size which is nowhere near what I need. Hell, this time last year I was happy with my 16mp Nikon Df files :D

My only real issue with the A7RII is the file size which is nowhere near what I need. Hell, this time last year I was happy with my 16mp Nikon Df files :D
Well you could shoot in APS-C mode and get 18mp files :D

Before I got A7RII I felt the same way but once you see the results there is no going back :D

Well you could shoot in APS-C mode and get 18mp files :D

Before I got A7RII I felt the same way but once you see the results there is no going back :D

Haha! I didn’t know the A7RII did that! :D I think I’ll have to take a closer look at them (y)

No point keeping something if you don't like it. Have a look at the lenses you'd like on Sony first though, as it's not a cheap system. The second hand market is really small as well, and depending on the lens can be bit of a minefield due to variation.

No point keeping something if you don't like it. Have a look at the lenses you'd like on Sony first though, as it's not a cheap system. The second hand market is really small as well, and depending on the lens can be bit of a minefield due to variation.

Lens wise is an easy choice - just replicate what I have with Fuji at present, 28mm, 35mm, 85mm. I believe the Sony range of lenses are pretty good st these FL’s.

A shameless plug - I have one for sale :D
Haha... I’ve not yet spent enough time in turmoil wondering what to do let alone having buyers remorse before buying or putting funds in place. Doubt yours will be about by the time I’ve gone through this process :D

I know, I know... I need to find a new location. But the lough is only 5 minutes drive from home and is by far the best scene for miles around....

Sony A73 with Samyang 35mm f2.8...

Lough Fea Sunset by CFC Photo, on Flickr
I for one will never tire of great photographsofsuch beautiful scenery

Haha... I’ve not yet spent enough time in turmoil wondering what to do let alone having buyers remorse before buying or putting funds in place. Doubt yours will be about by the time I’ve gone through this process :D
You never know ;)
It won't last long if it goes on eBay.

Won’t be worth as much either ;):D

Unless you fancy and X-Pro2 & X100f in part ex. :p
I normal wait till I get £1 or £3 selling fee offer :D

Nah I am bit if a Fuji hater. People here will tell you I hate Sony also lol, I just happen to dislike it less ;)

I have to disagree.

Sony has never tempted me until this generation and time hasn’t done any favours to its first couple of bodies, it wasn’t great when it came out and its still isn’t great now.

Your obsession (?) of being able to use old lenses are VERY VERY niche, 99% of people will want auto focus and old Sony body sucks, we all know that.

And from what I’ve seen...I’d take my Fuji X-pro 1 flies over those over the A7 any day of the week too.

II did say that the Fuji's will probably be faster, I accept that but better image quality? If you believe that good for you :D

Why you then go on and say I'm obsessed I just don't know as if I am or not has nothing to do with file quality. Small man syndrome there maybe :D

But no, I'm not obsessed, it's not an obsession. I just prefer the handling of non fly by wire lenses with end stops and markings. The character these lenses give is another plus as I like it and I like trying to achieve an old photo look sometimes and also there's the fact that they're cheap making it a cheap hobby for me. I'm not going to count my manual lenses this minute but even though I could afford the same number of modern lenses I'm not going to buy them but I do have the bare minimum I need, the excellent 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 for when I want modern quality :D

Back