The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Seems a good price. What's the verdict on the lens? Reviews seem to suggest its good value for money, perhaps not the best lens though

It's not one that I've looked at particularly, but reports suggest that it now performs very well on the latest firmware and that it is pretty sharp. It's Achilles heel is a noisyish AF motor, particularly in video use. I don't do video, so if I was in the market for a cheap, occasional use lens at this FL, I would probably take the plunge at that price.

I was tempted, but have decided against it. Good price, but a lot of reviews point out poor autofocus in low light, which would be the main situation I'd be using it

What happens to threads once they drop off the first page of the for sale page??

Seems a good price. What's the verdict on the lens? Reviews seem to suggest its good value for money, perhaps not the best lens though

I've got the Sony FE 50mm F/1.8 from this forum a week or so ago.

Tested on Sony A7 III (ver 2.0) and lens ver 3.0

Do not expect very very fast focus.
It focuses. even in low light. Almost no hunting.
And almost no noise.
As sharpness and overall rendering - it is more than good, especially stopped down (for example at F/2.8)
I will not rely on this lens for video (the focus is still ok, but not fast.)

P.S. Tested the lens on Sony A7R II as well, (the following example below) - the focus was good (not very fast)

Overall I would recommend this lens - for this price (especially £144 for a brand new UK store)
I think I posted a few examples, but here is another one:

- My Garden - by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

P.S. there are more Sony deals today only on Amazon
Check it out

Last edited:
What happens to threads once they drop off the first page of the for sale page??

Thinking of buying something that's no longer visible? If so, I think they get archived. If you can see it in the archived folder maybe you can pm the seller and see if it's still available and if so will they relist it.

If it's your ad and you want to relist it... You may be able to unarchive it but I don't know how so all I've done in the past is open a new for sale thread and copy and past the old stuff into it.

Last edited:
Thinking of buying something that's no longer visible? If so, I think they get archived. If you can see it in the archived folder maybe you can pm the seller and see if it's still available and if so will they relist it.

If it's your ad and you want to relist it... You may be able to unarchive it but I don't know how so all I've done in the past is open a new for sale thread and copy and past the old stuff into it.

Just wanted to update a thread which is having Royal Mail issues!

Peak design slide lite (ash colour) for £44. Anyone recommend this for A7 series and smallish lens like a Sony 85mm f1.8?

I mentioned a couple of days ago about how quick Sony cash back is. :D

Made 2 claims on Wednesday morning and have just received both payments into my account.
Two days that is excellent, have never seen that sort of speed with sending cash back payments before and have done quite a few in the last year or so. :)

Peak design slide lite (ash colour) for £44. Anyone recommend this for A7 series and smallish lens like a Sony 85mm f1.8?

Would not recommend if you are using for long periods of time better of with the normal slide in terms of comfort. I use both types the lite is okay when only using the camera for short periods of time.

Would not recommend if you are using for long periods of time better of with the normal slide in terms of comfort. I use both types the lite is okay when only using the camera for short periods of time.
Appreciate the quick reply. Cheers. :)

I have a BR sport that I don't use very often but had it on for a couple of hours on Tuesday night and felt it was clunky and the hardware (with Joby safety thingy attached) kept rubbing on the camera body and I'm worried about scratching. As I say, it's only for occasional use. Do you have any fears about the base plate anchor thing working its way loose?

Appreciate the quick reply. Cheers. :)

I have a BR sport that I don't use very often but had it on for a couple of hours on Tuesday night and felt it was clunky and the hardware (with Joby safety thingy attached) kept rubbing on the camera body and I'm worried about scratching. As I say, it's only for occasional use. Do you have any fears about the base plate anchor thing working its way loose?

No never been an issue, only negative I have found is that it's sore to use for extended periods of time. Then again now I have hit 40 it's a struggle to carry most things around for extended periods of time. :D

No never been an issue, only negative I have found is that it's sore to use for extended periods of time. Then again now I have hit 40 it's a struggle to carry most things around for extended periods of time. :D

Hmmm... I'm about to hit 60! :eek: But at the minute my heaviest lens is the 85mm. Might just leave it and use the BR. I've only used it twice in a year, so probably not worth investing in a new strap for such minimal usage. Cheers for your input. (y)

Also £44 is not a great deal, I got the Charcoal version for £36 around 3 weeks ago from Amazon.

Very nice :) I do like the little 35mm Samyang

Yep, unfortunately, 30 seconds later I was changing lenses and dropped it (minus caps) into the sand! It now rattles! Emailed for a couple of quotes to clean it and got one back for £95...

So, since last week I am with Sony A7 III + Tamron 28-75 F/2.8
Still feel little .. strange ( I am coming from A7R II + Sigma MC-11 + Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II )

The IBIS seems a little bit better.
The focus is better.
Finally I can see the images right I shoot :)
The Tamron lens is really good.
Video AF seems better (compared to A7RII + Sigma 16mm F/1.4)

the only downside I see is that 42MPx is 42MPx - you have more detail, you can crop and crop and still usable :)

But I guess will try a little bit tight framing and all will be good.
I order cheap charger and some "OEM" Sony battery, which probably is not so OEM, but .. will see when it arrives (please don't judge me, but I will NEVER pay £85 pound for Sony charger and £75 for a battery)

A few examples (with the new camera and lens) from a walk in the neighbourhood (Brecon Beacons national park, Wales):

Brecon Beacons national park by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

Nant Ddu cemetery by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

Nant Ddu cemetery by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

We've had a dull and rainy day here but suddenly the sun came out and the light on the trees and the hill was just beautiful so I ran upstairs and got my camera and ran down again and it was gone. Just like that.

Talking of gone...

Q6vqId0.jpg

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at f1.4.

While I'm here, just a 100% crop to see if posting stuff via imgur is better than posting direct from my pc.

8hvZyeQ.jpg

I don't think it's as sharp here as on my pc. Oh well.

Last edited:
I think you'll like it. It's a more modern looking lens than the 35mm f1.4, more like the Sony 55mm f1.8.

I hope I do too, as I've been waiting long enough!! :D The only thing I didn't get on with with the FE55/1.8 was the focal length! I just couldn't gel with it for some reason...... :( But aside from that, it was a faultless lens.

I hope I do too, as I've been waiting long enough!! :D The only thing I didn't get on with with the FE55/1.8 was the focal length! I just couldn't gel with it for some reason...... :( But aside from that, it was a faultless lens.

I am similar to you. The FE55 has great IQ but I struggled with the focal length too. I am planning to try the new Sony Batis 40mm F2 instead.

I sort of feel the same about the 55mm. It's a fantastic lens but I'm sure I see the difference between 50 and 55mm. Anyway, the 40mm is one of the best lenses I've ever used :D

I am similar to you. The FE55 has great IQ but I struggled with the focal length too. I am planning to try the new Sony Batis 40mm F2 instead.

The 40mm Batis is great but there's something wrong with it, perfect AF in normal conditions but Eye AF always front focuses.

I was interested in a 40mm with AF but I just don't like the look of the Batis range, I would have liked it to be smaller & then there is the price.... ;)

Reactions: MDR
Previously I posted asking for advice on potentially moving over to Sony. I’ve been reading up on reviews of the A7R3 which looks a great but expensive option. I’ve found out the a7r2 could be a less costly move with the current £200 cashback but thought I would ask what everyone’s opinion is of the a7R2. Financially the A7R2 makes more sense as it’s effective £1300 compared to £2900 of the A7R3, that saving would go a long way to cover a 100-400 f5.6. The other lenses I’ve settled on would be the 24-70 f4 and 70-200 f4. They are roughly what I have now with Nikon.

For landscapes the A7R2 would be fine but for wildlife is the A7R2 up to the task? Another issue would be battery life as I know that isn’t great with the A7R2 but at least it can be overcome with carrying numerous batteries. Would love to heard from other uses that have used both cameras.

Previously I posted asking for advice on potentially moving over to Sony. I’ve been reading up on reviews of the A7R3 which looks a great but expensive option. I’ve found out the a7r2 could be a less costly move with the current £200 cashback but thought I would ask what everyone’s opinion is of the a7R2. Financially the A7R2 makes more sense as it’s effective £1300 compared to £2900 of the A7R3, that saving would go a long way to cover a 100-400 f5.6. The other lenses I’ve settled on would be the 24-70 f4 and 70-200 f4. They are roughly what I have now with Nikon.

For landscapes the A7R2 would be fine but for wildlife is the A7R2 up to the task? Another issue would be battery life as I know that isn’t great with the A7R2 but at least it can be overcome with carrying numerous batteries. Would love to heard from other uses that have used both cameras.

If you're prepared to go grey market you can get a brand new A7R3 for £1885

https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/3470/sony_alpha_a7r_iii_mirrorless_digital_camera_body_only

There’s a general overview of the differences a few pages back from one of the wedding guys. I was going to mention the grey price. For the difference grey, I’d go with that. From everything I’ve read the main difference is af and battery life which clearly are two of your priorities.

I’m a few weeks into an A73 and still learning the AF a little, but it’s a serious step up from the 750. The whole experience makes shooting almost a little too easy.

Pulled the trigger on the A7iii from e-finity yesterday with the kit lens. Hoping the kit lens will see me through for a while as I won't be able to afford much more glass until I start trading my Nikon gear!

Pulled the trigger on the A7iii from e-finity yesterday with the kit lens. Hoping the kit lens will see me through for a while as I won't be able to afford much more glass until I start trading my Nikon gear!

I haven't used mine a lot as I mostly use primes but I do think it's an underrated lens. It's compact and light, reasonably fast to focus and IMO it's sharp enough to use without worries from wide open.

So what happens when your model, won't wear what you want her to; won't stand or sit still; won't take any direction? All for a quick pic for mum's birthday card? You get a couple at best to choose from..

Did you try bribery?

:D

Back