The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

@rookies check out darktable.org It seems to be a lightroom alternative and seems to be pretty comprehensive. To be fair, I haven't tried it out yet.

"darktable is an open source photography workflow application and raw developer. A virtual lighttable and darkroom for photographers. It manages your digital negatives in a database, lets you view them through a zoomable lighttable and enables you to develop raw images and enhance them."

My brain can't work out what could cause the flange to be at the wrong distance or what effect this would have as the focus is taken off the sensor so surely it'd cope with a minor offset but I suppose it's as good a theory as any. I might send it off and see what happens. I hope it doesn't come back No Fault Found.

My guess is that the flange distance is stored in memory somewhere, and the flat battery has enable the distance to be reset to default/changed in some fashion.

They've limited that version too much to make it truly useful - the earlier Sony C1 versions were much more useful. Can't remember what it is they've disabled, but I did look into it after getting the A7 & realised it wasn't good enough.

Be interesting to see if they do a lot of people seem to think that they won’t this year as they are wanting to push people down the cc route which is why it’s already been on offer.

Glad I stacked a few up last time around although would maybe grab another if it does go on offer.
I’m thinking the same. Previously it was a relatively unknown way to get it cheaper but it seems quite a few are banking on it. I don’t seem to remember a time when they have left it to the last day previously.

I think I have a couple stacked to take me to 2021 but I would love to add another if the offer does happen.

What metering mode people use. I’ve been trying out entire screen avg earlier seem quite good. Normally use multi

£380 Black Friday cashback on a73 at Wex. That's not bad is it.

On subject of tv's my Sony 55inch Led is still awesome and I'm still annoyed at the lack of proper 4k content on TV. However, I fancy a few lunchtime drinks tomorrow and could be persuaded to upgrade the TV if I see something that's a great deal. Whats the issue with OLED and gaming?

On subject of tv's my Sony 55inch Led is still awesome and I'm still annoyed at the lack of proper 4k content on TV. However, I fancy a few lunchtime drinks tomorrow and could be persuaded to upgrade the TV if I see something that's a great deal. Whats the issue with OLED and gaming?

Nice deal. Yeah 4k is still infant but it's nice to shoot 4k and be able to display it even if there's nothing on telly, they're already promoting 8k devices lol. If it's still awesome don't bother, buy something else.

No issues with me with gaming on oled. Think some suffer from screen burn I’ve not got a single burn. I think it down how people have it set up. Mine been calibrated

Screen burn is an issue with OLEDs but it’s not just gaming, if you watch say sky sports LOTS the sky sports logo may burn in. In reality though the chances of screen burn are minimal. I actually went QLED though, the latest have blacks pretty much as good as OLED and very good viewing angles but no chance of screen burn, with the added advantage of seeing the screen better in daylight and seriously impressive lighting

4K content is limited for sure but for me two of the main things I watch (F1 and Footy) are 4K UHD, although it annoys me you can’t get BT Sport 4K UHD through sky :mad:

One of the best things to watch is Planet Earth II in 4K UHD, pretty stunning that.
No issues with me with gaming on oled. Think some suffer from screen burn I’ve not got a single burn. I think it down how people have it set up. Mine been calibrated
Don’t think it’s anything to do with calibration, more to do with model and different uses. You’d have to be a serious gamer to suffer screen burn I believe.

Last edited:
Ok, so I tried this on FM (and got some kind responses but remain confused). I want to buy the Voigtlander 40mm 1.2 for use on Sony bodies A6500 and A7R2). I understand all the theoretical (and documented and understood pros and cons). What I really want to know is which is better (in terms of image quality, not functionality or usability) on Sony - the E mount or the M mount? I saw a promising video by Steve Huff but he managed somehow to show only one side-by-side of the E and the M on a Sony body (and he fluffed it because they weren't at the same aperture. Does anyone know of any such comparison done? Or have a view based on experience of the 2 on Sony bodies?

Thanks
mainoo (new poster - pleased to meet you)

Ok, so I tried this on FM (and got some kind responses but remain confused). I want to buy the Voigtlander 40mm 1.2 for use on Sony bodies A6500 and A7R2). I understand all the theoretical (and documented and understood pros and cons). What I really want to know is which is better (in terms of image quality, not functionality or usability) on Sony - the E mount or the M mount? I saw a promising video by Steve Huff but he managed somehow to show only one side-by-side of the E and the M on a Sony body (and he fluffed it because they weren't at the same aperture. Does anyone know of any such comparison done? Or have a view based on experience of the 2 on Sony bodies?

Thanks

they are optically the same AFAIK. I haven't had both versions of this particular lens but I have had both version of CV10/5.6 and CV15/4.5. The e-mount versions have a longer helicoid inside which is possible due the shorter flange of e-mount and hence focus closer than m-mount version. Optically they are all the same.

I'm sure I read in a review on FM that the FE mount version of the 40mm f1.2 is better on Sony, here on page 40...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1512530/39

If that's true I can think of one reason to still buy the M mount version, it's more portable as you can use it on just about anything but the Sony mount version is limited to, well, Sony I suppose.

More on 42...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1512530/41

I've had the Sony mount version since it first came out but tbh I prefer the 35mm f1.4 which is a bit wild at f1.4 but from f2 or so and onwards it's a different beast and it's smaller and lighter but if your heart is set on the 40mm f1.2 I'd go for the FE, in fact I did. Even if they're the same, which they may not be, with the FE you gain exif and the ability to have the magnified view automatically magnify when you turn the focus ring also I don't know if the M mount one has the de click feature but the FE one does but personally I prefer the clicky setting.

I've been thinking about buying the 50mm f1.2 or maybe the new 50mm f2.

Last edited:
On the possibly faulty A7.

I tried waggling the lens and there doesn't seem to be any play in the mount but I'll check the screws tomorrow if I get time.

I'll sleep on it but I'll probably send it off to be checked but I do worry that it'll come back NFF (no fault found.)

I told Mrs WW and mentioned I might like to buy another and she said I could buy a hundred if I wanted :D That's nice of her but I wonder what she's done...

Can you link spot metering to the focus point and move it about on newer bodies?

With my A7 it stays in the centre but with my Panasonics it moves and I like that better.

Similar to plasma if an image is left on the screen it can burn in, I believe it isn’t as bad an issue with the newer tv’s.but is still possible and it isn’t covered.

From all the research I did last year when I bought mine lower end oled’s aren’t much better than the high end led tv’s but cost more. Though just looking they have dropped significantly this year.

Last year my tv dropped to 1k and the closest oled which was worse was 1.3k.(on BF)

Lg and Sony lead here with LG you need to be at a min looking at the b9 which has dropped to 1.1k and is a cracking tv for the money , infact prob the best you can get at that price.
Sony the AG8 is down to 1.3k

Screen burn is an issue with OLEDs but it’s not just gaming, if you watch say sky sports LOTS the sky sports logo may burn in. In reality though the chances of screen burn are minimal. I actually went QLED though, the latest have blacks pretty much as good as OLED and very good viewing angles but no chance of screen burn, with the added advantage of seeing the screen better in daylight and seriously impressive lighting

4K content is limited for sure but for me two of the main things I watch (F1 and Footy) are 4K UHD, although it annoys me you can’t get BT Sport 4K UHD through sky :mad:

One of the best things to watch is Planet Earth II in 4K UHD, pretty stunning that.

Don’t think it’s anything to do with calibration, more to do with model and different uses. You’d have to be a serious gamer to suffer screen burn I believe.

Well my oled is nearly a year old. Gaming 3-4 hours daily. Kids programs on and no sign screen burn. But these oled have this regret to clear the screen.

Can you link spot metering to the focus point and move it about on newer bodies?

With my A7 it stays in the centre but with my Panasonics it moves and I like that better.

I can on A73

Thanks

They are probably equal on actual IQ. I went for the E because it's apparently designed for the thicker Sony sensor. I'd already had several years with an M mount 40/1.4 and the smeary corners used to bug me!

Crap Black Friday so far. No Lightroom cc photo plan on offer just the Lightroom cc I like the one with both version

Crap Black Friday so far. No Lightroom cc photo plan on offer just the Lightroom cc I like the one with both version
Just as expected. Adobe are pushing the cloud based Lightroom CC option this year. The price of ‘the photography plan’ on amazon has gone up to a standard price of £119.99 from its previous £99.99. That works out your £9.99 a month so the same as paying monthly. The is no discount for buying the yearly subscription in one price.

Edit: I kind of expected this as its Adobe next revenue stream opportunity- Get everyone on the cloud based only storage subscription then hope to sell them extra cloud storage as they will enviably need more than 1TB, especially if they are a Sony user overshooting at 10-20fps or creating huge 60MP files!

If I went with the Lightroom CC option I think I’d have to change my work flow by importing to the computer, culling the crap then only import the ones for editing to Lightroom CC.Currently I import straight to Lightroom, flag the rejections then mark some of the remaining for editing. Often that means I’ve got lots of unedited images left in my LR catalogue. I wold need to get more strict on culling and deleting it I ever went to Lightroom CC (not that I could as my Internet speed is absolutely stocking).

Last edited:
The whole LED (QLED) vs OLED debate will always continue, the truth is both are good but in different ways.
LED is better for brighter lit environments due to the higher native contrast but at the expense of deeper black levels and over all IQ.
OLED is better for more controlled environments and have the best blacks, colour and overall IQ. Also you can get Dolby Vision. :)

Last edited:

Kind of expected that as mentioned earlier in the thread.

But I am having a good one, since Amazon's offers have went live at midnight, I have picked up:

1 x pair of shoes
3 x pairs of Adidas trainers
20tb Western Digital My Book Duo
Fuji Instax camera with 50 shots (Christmas pressie for my eldest)

The whole LED (QLED) vs OLED debate will always continue, the truth is both are good but in different ways.
LED is better for brighter lit environments due to the higher native contrast but at the expense of deeper black levels and over all IQ.
OLED is better for more controlled environments and have the best blacks, colour and overall IQ. Also you can get Dolby Vision. :)

I am never really home in the day and I watch my TV in the dark.

p.s. shame no Adobe deals....

I am never really home in the day and I watch my TV in the dark.

p.s. shame no Adobe deals....

Me too...... IQ is proper lush. Hopefully going to watch The Irishman tonight on Netflix 4K Dolby Vision & Atmos.... if they wife and kids go out as planned lol. :D
I am not a big fan of the whole Adobe subscription model.. still using the stand alone Lightroom :eek:

Morning all. Still, on the fence about moving from Fuji back to Sony and the cashback deals arnt helping! Ive looked at reviews of the Sony 24-105 zoom and most say its a great lens. Any thoughts? I want something as sharp as my fuji 16-55 2.8 without paying Gmaster money :)

Morning all. Still, on the fence about moving from Fuji back to Sony and the cashback deals arnt helping! Ive looked at reviews of the Sony 24-105 zoom and most say its a great lens. Any thoughts? I want something as sharp as my fuji 16-55 2.8 without paying Gmaster money :)
What about the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 Di III RXD ? ;)
I have made the jump from Sony to Fuji and then back to Sony again, much prefer the Full-Frame sensor albeit at a more significant cost compared to APS-C.

Can anyone explain the difference between the Real Time Tracking vs the A7iii?

Ive watched so many videos a lot are old and are on older firmware or don’t show side by side difference.

Typically what AF Area modes do people use?

Trying to get my head around the AF system whilst deciding what to do.

What about the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 Di III RXD ? ;)
I have made the jump from Sony to Fuji and then back to Sony again, much prefer the Full-Frame sensor albeit at a more significant cost compared to APS-C.
Yes, I have that held in my basket too! Can't decided which!

I seen somewhere online that the Adobe photography plan might go on offer on cyber Monday instead guess we will wait and see, also bought another pair of Adidas trainers that's 4 pairs today. Need to stop :ROFLMAO:

Back