The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'd like the 2.8 and the tc, but the f4 is really lightweight
I have had both and they are both really good.... the f4 is very compact and light compared to the f2.8 GM.
Also I find that the 1.4x TC on the f2.8 GM works wonderfully with very little if any negatives apart from the usual 1-stop loss of light associated with TC's.

I have had both and they are both really good.... the f4 is very compact and light compared to the f2.8 GM.
Also I find that the 1.4x TC on the f2.8 GM works wonderfully with very little if any negatives apart from the usual 1-stop loss of light associated with TC's.

Why do you need both if they never leave the house? :exit:

You sure its not the 35?

No, I've tried the 55 and 85mm f1.8 at f1.8 and it's just the same so if it's a lens problem all of them have developed it as I haven't seen this before with any of them.

I've also tried moving the focus point about just to see if it's a problem that's limited to the centre but it's just the same elsewhere.

No, I've tried the 55 and 85mm f1.8 at f1.8 and it's just the same so if it's a lens problem all of them have developed it as I haven't seen this before with any of them.

I've also tried moving the focus point about just to see if it's a problem that's limited to the centre but it's just the same elsewhere.

That sucks. Cant be lenses then.

on a slightyluy positive note, black friday does usually see a fairly large discount on the a7. might be able to get another for similar price to a used one.

That's a bummer, guess you will have to make a call on sending it in for a repair or replacing it.

They have apparently stopped the cheap fixed price repairs on bodies too, well I seen that mentioned somewhere else anyway. Might be worthwhile checking with them though as the fixed priced repairs were really cheap.

That's a shame, you may need to send it for repair. It'll probably work out better to just replace it with current 20% deals on the likes of camera jungle.

Thanks guys. I'll have a think and see what's what.

Do it again, see if I even notice, I certainly didn't the last time. Another primary school level nothing response. Did you think I was going to care, seriously? If half the people in this thread ignored me I'd never notice

I don't particularly want to, ad I'd much rather you and a couple of others toned it down instead.

tbh the a7 is still decent and its form factor with smaller lenses has a lot going for it.
I agree with this comment, the original A7 is nice and small and works well with lenses like the 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8.
I feel Sony could bring out a A6 body which is small in size like the original A7.
If you look at the footprint of the A7, I am sure Sony could now put in a Z battery (side ways), Dual SD slots etc and keep it similar in size.
If it was my choice, I would go for a A7 III and all the good features it comes with over the size advantage of the A7.

Last edited:
Have stuck one of my A7III's in the classifieds not that it will sell on here. Nothing seems too :ROFLMAO:

Still debating if a trade in with WEX will suit me better.

Shocked you don’t have these best 2 lenses in the system.
I have the GM zoom lenses which cover these focal lengths pretty well. I did have these lenses on pre-order before they came out but in the end couldn't justify the cost over the zoom's that I already own.
However I could in sell a couple of the zoom lenses and swap for the following:-

Sony FE 16-35mm f2.8 GM for the 24mm f1.4 GM
Sony FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM for the 135mm f1.8 GM

Mmmmmmmm :D

Guys! Seriously? there are a dozen RTM's in the staff room from last night and this morning.
Please play nice (y)

Oh dear as there been of a fall out in here again

Nope.... nothing to see here.. move a long now move a long :D lol
How are you and the Sony A9 getting a long?
Any dirty thought's of the Brickon? :)

Glad am back in Sony camp. Got it all set up how I like it the c1 and c2.

Got gas to get the 70-200 2.8

Glad am back in Sony camp. Got it all set up how I like it the c1 and c2.

Got gas to get the 70-200 2.8
The Sony FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM is a beast of a lens... I am sure it'll feed your GAS :D lol

More on the troubled A7 saga... I've just had a nice email exchange with Fixation...

Me... "I have a Sony A7 which seems to have a problem and I’m hoping you can fix it for me. It seems to be front focusing. With a f1.8 lens and at close distances but beyond the minimum close focus distance it seems to be focusing anywhere between 5 and 20mm in front of the point I want in focus depending on the distances. It’s so predictable that I can compensate for it by aiming past the point I want to be the point of focus. It’s pretty obvious when taking pictures of flowers and leaves etc and I’ve tried a ruler at an angle indoors to confirm all this.

I’ve tried my 35, 55 and 85mm f1.8 lenses and all do the same. Manual focus is perfectly ok and focusing at a distance with AF seems ok but of course focus errors at a distance may be covered by the increased DoF.

I use manual lenses a lot so I only noticed this recently but just in case it gives you a clue I think it first happened after I left the camera without a battery in it for a week or so. When I turned the camera on it had lost it’s time, date and region. I’ve since done a reset and updated the firmware from 2 to 3.2 and it’s still front focusing."

Fixation... "Thank you for your email. It's a rather unusual problem as mirrorless cameras, where focus is calculated on the sensor itself, are largely free from the front/back focusing issues that can affect DSLRs, especially if the AF system is a contrast detection-only one as with your A7. By and large the fact that the internal battery has run flat at some point should not have affected the autofocus - if anything the fact that the issue occurs with all three FE lenses would normally point to the flange distance being ever so slightly off, which could in fact offset the focal plane at close distances (as you say, at longer distances or at infinity any minor focal plane misalignments would be hidden by the wider depth of field).

My only suggestion would be to send in the camera for a check, ideally with some of the test images you've taken stored on the memory card. We don't operate on a fixed-price basis and it's hard to offer an informed comment, much less a quote, without seeing and testing the camera first but as a rough ballpark, if it is a flange distance issue I reckon re-adjusting it would likely cost about £100-120 plus VAT - if any parts needed replacing (eg lens mount, lens contacts etc) these would be on top.

However, we do not charge for providing a free, no obligation estimate based on proper investigation.
More details on our service can be found..."

That's nice of them.

I've been doubting myself and wondering if I'm expecting too much of the AF but then I remember that I've had this camera 6 years and in that time I've taken a lot of close up pictures and haven't seen this anything like this before. As a double check I've just tried my Panasonic GX9 at f1.8 and although that's a x 2 crop camera it focuses a lot closer so I think it's a valid test and it's bang on.

My brain can't work out what could cause the flange to be at the wrong distance or what effect this would have as the focus is taken off the sensor so surely it'd cope with a minor offset but I suppose it's as good a theory as any. I might send it off and see what happens. I hope it doesn't come back No Fault Found.

This reminds me of something I used to fix... we had a whole shelf full of these things and no one could work out what the fault was caused by until clever clogs me fixed them all. To everyone else the duff component maybe couldn't have been more physically and electrically isolated from the fault and even I couldn't say exactly why it had the effect it did but sometimes you just have to fix the fault and not waste too much brain power on the theory :D

Last edited:
More on the troubled A7 saga... I've just had a nice email exchange with Fixation...

Me... "I have a Sony A7 which seems to have a problem and I’m hoping you can fix it for me. It seems to be front focusing. With a f1.8 lens and at close distances but beyond the minimum close focus distance it seems to be focusing anywhere between 5 and 20mm in front of the point I want in focus depending on the distances. It’s so predictable that I can compensate for it by aiming past the point I want to be the point of focus. It’s pretty obvious when taking pictures of flowers and leaves etc and I’ve tried a ruler at an angle indoors to confirm all this.

I’ve tried my 35, 55 and 85mm f1.8 lenses and all do the same. Manual focus is perfectly ok and focusing at a distance with AF seems ok but of course focus errors at a distance may be covered by the increased DoF.

I use manual lenses a lot so I only noticed this recently but just in case it gives you a clue I think it first happened after I left the camera without a battery in it for a week or so. When I turned the camera on it had lost it’s time, date and region. I’ve since done a reset and updated the firmware from 2 to 3.2 and it’s still front focusing."

Fixation... "Thank you for your email. It's a rather unusual problem as mirrorless cameras, where focus is calculated on the sensor itself, are largely free from the front/back focusing issues that can affect DSLRs, especially if the AF system is a contrast detection-only one as with your A7. By and large the fact that the internal battery has run flat at some point should not have affected the autofocus - if anything the fact that the issue occurs with all three FE lenses would normally point to the flange distance being ever so slightly off, which could in fact offset the focal plane at close distances (as you say, at longer distances or at infinity any minor focal plane misalignments would be hidden by the wider depth of field).

My only suggestion would be to send in the camera for a check, ideally with some of the test images you've taken stored on the memory card. We don't operate on a fixed-price basis and it's hard to offer an informed comment, much less a quote, without seeing and testing the camera first but as a rough ballpark, if it is a flange distance issue I reckon re-adjusting it would likely cost about £100-120 plus VAT - if any parts needed replacing (eg lens mount, lens contacts etc) these would be on top.

However, we do not charge for providing a free, no obligation estimate based on proper investigation.
More details on our service can be found..."

That's nice of them.

I've been doubting myself and wondering if I'm expecting too much of the AF but then I remember that I've had this camera 6 years and in that time I've taken a lot of close up pictures and haven't seen this anything like this before. As a double check I've just tried my Panasonic GX9 at f1.8 and although that's a x 2 crop camera it focuses a lot closer so I think it's a valid test and it's bang on.

My brain can't work out what could cause the flange to be at the wrong distance or what effect this would have as the focus is taken off the sensor so surely it'd cope with a minor offset but I suppose it's as good a theory as any. I might send it off and see what happens. I hope it doesn't come back No Fault Found.

This reminds me of something I used to fix... we had a whole shelf full of these things and no one could work out what the fault was caused by until clever clogs me fixed them all. To everyone else the duff component maybe couldn't have been more physically and electrically isolated from the fault and even I couldn't say exactly why it had the effect it did but sometimes you just have to fix the fault and not waste too much brain power on the theory :D
Time to order than Sony A7 III chap :D Finally..........

Back