The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It's difficult isn't it?

I'd keep it if I could get a partial refund or some freebies but another thing to think about is if you can get another one, a better one, anytime soon for that or about that price.

What are going to do????

It was £379

If that helps ;)
See if they'll give you £100 back if you keep it.
If not, I'd send it back.
As @woof woof says, you'll maybe get a decent one without fault for that price if you wait.
Or you could pay an extra £45 and get one of the ones from MPB that are classed as excellent.
Looking at what they're fetching on Ebay, £379 isn't a bad price, but if they've not mentioned the fault in the advert, I'd want something off.

Last edited:
I guess I'll head back over to the Nikon corner with my tail between my legs...

I'll let you know how I get on and if I'm coming back here anytime soon!

:coat:

See if they'll give you £100 back if you keep it.
If not, I'd send it back.
As @woof woof says, you'll maybe get a decent one without fault for that price if you wait.
Or you could pay an extra £45 and get one of the ones from MPB that are classed as excellent.
Looking at what they're fetching on Ebay, £379 isn't a bad price, but if they've not mentioned the fault in the advert, I'd want something off.

Yes, I rejected all the 'Excellent' ones for either having scuffs to the body or no original packaging. If they genuinely didn't spot the dead pixels then the only reason I can think that they classed it as only 'Good' is because of the (very minor I think) scuffs to the screen - otherwise it's spotless and has SC of only 7166.

I do hope they haven't tried to slip me a mickey because I did think I had found a good seller...

how do we insert pictures smaller? was going to load up a test shot but even after I resized it down it still loaded up as massive on the post!

I guess I'll head back over to the Nikon corner with my tail between my legs...

I'll let you know how I get on and if I'm coming back here anytime soon!

:coat:

No need for the tail. FWIW MPB tend to be careless with their checking of used kit - I bought a lens from them & it was non-functional, as was the replacement they sent. I ended up buying elsewhere, (and that lens had cosmetic damage, but worked fine).

For an original A7 with that on the screen I'd conside Nand's £200-£250 reasonable. Last spring I was considering an original A7 from LCE for £350 in excellent condition, but ended up getting an A7III.

FWIW I moved from Nikon to Sony last year, and found Nikon lenses & adapters weren't *great* to use compared to being on a Nikon body. I'd recommend turning off the 'in focus' highlights and instead set up a button to zoom in for focussing manually so you can get it right. The other thing is that a lot of adapters are a bit slack, allowing some lens rotation & even wobble, which is simply poor.

Last edited:
No need for the tail. FWIW MPB tend to be careless with their checking of used kit - I bought a lens from them & it was non-functional, as was the replacement they sent. I ended up buying elsewhere, (and that lens had cosmetic damage, but worked fine).

For an original A7 with that on the screen I'd conside Nand's £200-£250 reasonable. Last spring I was considering an original A7 from LCE for £350 in excellent condition, but ended up getting an A7III.

FWIW I moved from Nikon to Sony last year, and found Nikon lenses & adapters weren't *great* to use compared to being on a Nikon body. I'd recommend turning off the 'in focus' highlights and instead set up a button to zoom in for focussing manually so you can get it right. The other thing is that a lot of adapters are a bit slack, allowing some lens rotation & even wobble, which is simply poor.

Thanks that's very helpful. I also wanted the A7iii but got fed up waiting to save enough £! I was also undecided as to whether to get the D750 instead and tbh I still am (I need to be careful or I'll be getting kicked out of this thread!)

I took a few shots this evening when I could find enough light... it's quite noisy this camera isn't it?! I think I was expecting better - when I brought some ISO400 into LR I had to bump up the NR to 35/35! Not something I'm used to with my Nikons and they're both DX - is it something to do with the Lensbaby Velvet? I use a Lensbaby Sweet35 on the Nikons and they seem fine with that one - no noise. I will try again tomorrow with better light but I must say I feel a little but disappointed tonight - not been a good day really as I had been wanting an A7 for over a year and finally got one and it's not gone as well as I'd hoped.

Thanks that's very helpful. I also wanted the A7iii but got fed up waiting to save enough £! I was also undecided as to whether to get the D750 instead and tbh I still am (I need to be careful or I'll be getting kicked out of this thread!)

I took a few shots this evening when I could find enough light... it's quite noisy this camera isn't it?! I think I was expecting better - when I brought some ISO400 into LR I had to bump up the NR to 35/35! Not something I'm used to with my Nikons and they're both DX - is it something to do with the Lensbaby Velvet? I use a Lensbaby Sweet35 on the Nikons and they seem fine with that one - no noise. I will try again tomorrow with better light but I must say I feel a little but disappointed tonight - not been a good day really as I had been wanting an A7 for over a year and finally got one and it's not gone as well as I'd hoped.

Hate to say it, should've got a D750, the A7 isn't as good in terms of af speed or image quality.

Well I'm afraid my foray into the world of Sony has come to a rather unexpected halt - I had been charging the battery and once done I switched the screen back on to find the dead pixels twice as bad as before and spreading across the screen... Definitely a fault and it's going back. With no Sony, the Lensbaby is also going back as are the two spare batteries! So that's £670 back in the account for another day - well maybe it's just as well times being as they are - maybe the Universe is trying to tell me something...

Bye all and thanks for your help - maybe I'll be back on the A7 thread again at some point! :ty:

Well I'm afraid my foray into the world of Sony has come to a rather unexpected halt - I had been charging the battery and once done I switched the screen back on to find the dead pixels twice as bad as before and spreading across the screen... Definitely a fault and it's going back. With no Sony, the Lensbaby is also going back as are the two spare batteries! So that's £670 back in the account for another day - well maybe it's just as well times being as they are - maybe the Universe is trying to tell me something...

Bye all and thanks for your help - maybe I'll be back on the A7 thread again at some point! :ty:

I'd be requesting that they swapped the £379? Body for one of the £424 'excellent' ones for your trouble!! Or at least a £424 one for £400 or something......

Shame you’ve had a bad experience, disappointing when that happens, especially as you’ve been saving for a while.

TBH I’m with Twist in that if it’s a choice between the D750 and A7 it’d be the D750 all day long. I personally didn’t have any interest in the A7’s until the mark 3’s.

I'd be requesting that they swapped the £379? Body for one of the £424 'excellent' ones for your trouble!! Or at least a £424 one for £400 or something......

None of the ones they currently have in stock are right by my eyes, they either have too many body scuffs or shiny grips or missing original body caps & original packaging. Otherwise I might... I would look at the A7iis they've got but now I'm having trouble trusting them...

Shame you’ve had a bad experience, disappointing when that happens, especially as you’ve been saving for a while.

TBH I’m with Twist in that if it’s a choice between the D750 and A7 it’d be the D750 all day long. I personally didn’t have any interest in the A7’s until the mark 3’s.

Yeh I jumped the gun by being impatient and bored with both waiting and the lockdown... Thought why not for £370 & save up for a D750 later. Back to saving and waiting it is probably...

Didn’t you say on here a while back that yours was knackered. It wouldn’t a.f properly etc.

Not really, it's a non issue as I think I'm maybe the only person in the country who could fault the af, it's hardly knackered.

The issue is that at minimum focus distance and f1.8 it seems to focus slightly below the centre point of the af box and when I tried it it seemed consistent with the 3 f1.8's I tried, so not likely a lens issue. At anything other than minimum focus distance and f1.8 it's unnoticeable and even when displaying the issue most people would probably never see it but don't worry, I have no intention of selling it as it still does everything I need.

Voigtlander have announced a release date for the 35mm f1.2 SE in Japan, 27th May.

I'll follow this and read the reviews but I almost certainly wont buy one.

I don't know what's happening with the other SE's, 40 and 50mm f1.2's.

For those not too sure what these are, as far as I know they're Sony mount Stills Edition versions of existing lenses. The SE bit seems to consist of removing the declick mechanism, restyling the body and making it a bit smaller and dropping the price a bit. I prefer the styling of the existing Sony mount lenses but I suppose I'd get used to these new ones. The loss of the declick function wouldn't bother me.

PS.
For anyone interested... The 50mm f2 apo is an outstanding lens. My favourite is still the 35mm f1.4.

Last edited:
Already missing the feel of the metal body in my hand...

I did love the way the A7 felt to handle and the grip is perfect for me and my small Woman hands - it got me thinking...

I've seen so many complaints about the A7 grip and how it's too small for 'normal' hands. Well almost everything in the world is designed for Men (including PPE but let's not get distracted...) so it's nice to find something that - albeit accidentally - caters for Women!

Now I'm looking again at saving up for the A7iii - have they changed the grip to be bigger now for 'normal' people (i.e. Men) or is it still nice and compact like the A7 I'm reluctantly sending back?

Already missing the feel of the metal body in my hand...

I did love the way the A7 felt to handle and the grip is perfect for me and my small Woman hands - it got me thinking...

I've seen so many complaints about the A7 grip and how it's too small for 'normal' hands. Well almost everything in the world is designed for Men (including PPE but let's not get distracted...) so it's nice to find something that - albeit accidentally - caters for Women!

Now I'm looking again at saving up for the A7iii - have they changed the grip to be bigger now for 'normal' people (i.e. Men) or is it still nice and compact like the A7 I'm reluctantly sending back?
They are bigger/deeper but I would say still on the small size. What camera(s) are you used to?

They are bigger/deeper but I would say still on the small size. What camera(s) are you used to?

I have a Nikon D90 and a D5200 - so still small DSLRs but the D90 definitely feels like the biggest and more importantly, heaviest I would like as I have encroaching arthritis and occasionally suffer with carpal tunnel. One of the reasons I decided to go with the A7iii over the D750 was because of the size and weight. The lens weight doesn't really matter or bother my hand for some reason but the weight of the body definitely does.

That’s exactly what I thought it would be. It wasnt going to be cheap especially when you consider the price of the 1DX3.

I was hoping (suppose somewhat unrealistically) for $3500-4000. At which point I can hope to get it in used markets for £2-2.5K in a year or year and half. If it starts at 6K then that's like 2-3 year at least before I can afford it by which time there will be something better around anyway.

I am all for manufacturers making really awesome bodies with over the top specs like GFX100 for example. But if you price it out of the reach of masses then it may as well not exist for majority of the people. The reason A7III sold so well was because it was affordable and did everything decently well. At 6K I bet any manufacturer could make a equally spec'd body.

Last edited:
I was hoping (suppose somewhat unrealistically) for $3500-4000. At which point I can hope to get it in used markets for £2-2.5K in a year or year and half. If it starts at 6K then that's like 2-3 year at least before I can afford it by which time there will be something better around anyway.

I am all for manufacturers making really awesome bodies with over the top specs like GFX100 for example. But if you price it out of the reach of masses then it may as well not exist for majority of the people. The reason A7III sold so well was because it was affordable and did everything decently well. At 6K I bet any manufacturer could make a equally spec'd body.
It was all the hype without any mention of price that made me think all was not as it seemed (unless this is an amnestying at fake news and wham...... it’s only £2k on release).

Like you say it’s doing something in a price range that’s suitable for the masses that’s the important point for many. It’s like creating a Ferrari and hyping it as amazing for many that are really in the family hatchback price range.

Photography is an expensive hobby as it is but there probably aren’t many that can spend £6k on a camera or £10k on a lens. Something like the A73 or D750 is what gives you an edge and captures users. Amazing high spec’ed cameras when they are very expensive don’t capture the same people who will be likely to move on within the range. In someways it’s similar to a loss leader.

The A9 feels a leader for many as it’s starting to become more affordable. Like you say other bodies have come along like the A7r4 that are better in some aspects but the A9 is still punching its weight because it’s at a more affordable price.

So - Kit zooms, yes or no?

Having just spent much more than I planned to on a new A7ii and having only a manual Lensbaby or adapted Nikon 50 1.8D to go with - I find myself feeling the need of an autofocus lens but having hardly any money.

I try to avoid zooms as a rule but maybe the kit lenses are 'ok' for now? Also the zoom range is a bit pants isn't it?

Would I be happier with the kit 50 do you think? Or is the small kit zoom worth it? I'd love a longer zoom but fear I cannot yet afford one...

Back