The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Well just had a good chat with John Lewis tech support and now feel a bit better. I have 30 days to give it a thorough test to make sure everything is working as it should or I can send it for exchange. Apart from the obvious basic photo functions and the IBIS - what else should I check is working ok? :ty:

Ah, so its new? If the screen is delaminating I would personally send it back. Actually, I would never have bought a new A7ii for £900 (its not a camera worth £900 imo). A mint used A7iii (for a little more) or A7rii mint with dealer warranty would be a much better choice. Sorry for your misfortune Ali.

Ah, so its new? If the screen is delaminating I would personally send it back. Actually, I would never have bought a new A7ii for £900 (its not a camera worth £900 imo). A mint used A7iii (for a little more) or A7rii mint with dealer warranty would be a much better choice. Sorry for your misfortune Ali.

"for a little more" - hmm - I wouldn't call £600 'a little more' and I couldn't find an A7ii mint used - also just been stung buying a used A7 that I had to send back,

But thanks for your comment on my poor choice.

"for a little more" - hmm - I wouldn't call £600 'a little more' and I couldn't find an A7ii mint used - also just been stung buying a used A7 that I had to send back,

But thanks for your comment on my poor choice.

Well youve upped your budget already and added some questionable lenses which took you very close to the items I suggested (A7iii around £1200 used MINT / rii around £950 used MINT, so hardly your £600 difference!) But okay, Ill assume you are frustrated and leave it at that and wont try help. Good luck.

Last edited:
Well just had a good chat with John Lewis tech support and now feel a bit better. I have 30 days to give it a thorough test to make sure everything is working as it should or I can send it for exchange. Apart from the obvious basic photo functions and the IBIS - what else should I check is working ok? :ty:
Is there a screen protector on (little flimsy film thing you get on most screens on electrical goods such as the one you peel off on the iPhone) or is it literally part of the screen that's delaminating/peeling off. If it's the latter then definitely send it back. Any brand new items should be absolutely mint/impeccable, I wouldn't accept any new item with a defect,... unless I was significantly compensated, but even then it's unusual for me to accept this. I'm not sure why everything was loose in the main box if it's new. I know everything's not 'strapped down' but the stuff's usually pretty well crammed in there and there's not usually much room for stuff to rattle about. As for the lack of packaging, that's just poor. I'd expect more from JL.

If the screen's not delaminating and you're happy to keep it for testing then check IBIS, check AF is accurate and consistent (lens dependant to a degree obviously) and check the sensor's not misaligned (easy to see as soon a you take a photo and view it on a large screen). If you got the kit lens with it, check that for misalignment/decentering. Just google lens decentering test and check out the fredmiranda link.

Is there a screen protector on (little flimsy film thing you get on most screens on electrical goods such as the one you peel off on the iPhone) or is it literally part of the screen that's delaminating/peeling off. If it's the latter then definitely send it back. Any brand new items should be absolutely mint/impeccable, I wouldn't accept any new item with a defect,... unless I was significantly compensated, but even then it's unusual for me to accept this. I'm not sure why everything was loose in the main box if it's new. I know everything's not 'strapped down' but the stuff's usually pretty well crammed in there and there's not usually much room for stuff to rattle about. As for the lack of packaging, that's just poor. I'd expect more from JL.

If the screen's not delaminating and you're happy to keep it for testing then check IBIS, check AF is accurate and consistent (lens dependant to a degree obviously) and check the sensor's not misaligned (easy to see as soon a you take a photo and view it on a large screen). If you got the kit lens with it, check that for misalignment/decentering. Just google lens decentering test and check out the fredmiranda link.

I think I'm just being fussy about the screen - have just looked at it again and it really is incredibly tiny...

JL have told me to send it back within 30 days so - mainly I'm just trying to work out how to use it and make sure it's not glitchy.

On that front I'm having some teething issues. It's firmware 4.01 so no upgrade required.

It doesn't seem to like my memory cards.... all Sandisk Extreme Pro and all work fine in the Nikons. The first time I switched it on it took a few shots no problem but when I tried to review the images it said it couldn't retrieve the images, then it said to reformat the card. Took the card to my computer and the images were stored and transferred to LR. I deleted the card content and then put it back in the A7 for formatting. All seemingly fine - but then it happened again. Tried a different memory card - same issue. It doesn't like me taking the card and putting it in the computer - this seems to prompt it to want the card reformatted - is this normal??

Second issue - and this is probably user error but may be related to the above issue - it isn't recording video to the memory card? It will play the video in camera but doesn't record it to the card. Have I got to set up some special menu thingy for this or is it something to do with a writing to disk error....

Second issue - and this is probably user error but may be related to the above issue - it isn't recording video to the memory card? It will play the video in camera but doesn't record it to the card. Have I got to set up some special menu thingy for this or is it something to do with a writing to disk error....

OK - that was user error - just assumed would load up with the images like it does from the Nikons but they were in a different folder.. found them now.

Would still like to check that the hissy fits about the memory card is normal though. Jeez sometimes I hate technology...

I think I'm just being fussy about the screen - have just looked at it again and it really is incredibly tiny...

JL have told me to send it back within 30 days so - mainly I'm just trying to work out how to use it and make sure it's not glitchy.

On that front I'm having some teething issues. It's firmware 4.01 so no upgrade required.

It doesn't seem to like my memory cards.... all Sandisk Extreme Pro and all work fine in the Nikons. The first time I switched it on it took a few shots no problem but when I tried to review the images it said it couldn't retrieve the images, then it said to reformat the card. Took the card to my computer and the images were stored and transferred to LR. I deleted the card content and then put it back in the A7 for formatting. All seemingly fine - but then it happened again. Tried a different memory card - same issue. It doesn't like me taking the card and putting it in the computer - this seems to prompt it to want the card reformatted - is this normal??

Okay firstly never ever delete images from the card in the computer. That goes for use with any camera not just Sony as it causes file table errors which will mean corrupted images later on.

Secondly the video files are on a different folder on the card not the DCIM folder.

Format the cards in the camera only.

Sandisk Pro should work fine, but it sounds like the way you use cards causes corruption and maybe you’ve just been lucky with Nikon. As above only format cards in camera and only delete in camera. I personally just reformat the card rather than delete photos and have never (touch wood) run into issues.

re the damage to the screen that’s obviously your choice (y)

Thanks guys - I did in fact decide to transfer & delete without removing the card and now it's all fine. So far so good then...

:ty:
Just to clarify what I meant, I still take the card out of the camera and plug it into the computer via a card reader to transfer the files, however all formatting and deletion of files from the card are done in camera. What we were saying is don’t delete the files or format the card when the card is connected to the computer (y)

Just to clarify what I meant, I still take the card out of the camera and plug it into the computer via a card reader to transfer the files, however all formatting and deletion of files from the card are done in camera. What we were saying is don’t delete the files or format the card when the card is connected to the computer (y)

That's what I do too.

Thanks guys - I did in fact decide to transfer & delete without removing the card and now it's all fine. So far so good then...

:ty:

Okay I already said this above but...

You should never delete individual images on the card via the camera as it can cause read table errors, yes the option is there but you should not use it!

You should never delete individual images on the card via a computer (even if you are doing so via the camera being connected to your computer) as it will absolutely guarantee read table errors and can also corrupt the card leaving it useless.

You should never format the card via a computer as it can cause read table errors and can also corrupt the card leaving it useless.

Inserting the card into other devices can also cause issues for example digital photo frames, games consoles, televisions etc. The way some devices access information on the card can cause read table problems, although this is rare.

Using a card that has previously been used in another branded camera can sometimes cause issues, the Nikon D750 for example was famous for this and would throw up all sorts of error messages if you were using a card that had been previously used in a different camera even when the card had been formatted before use.

You can either transfer photos from the card to your computer via usb or via a card reader, the card should only ever be formatted in the camera.

This is the case for all cameras not just Sony.

You do need to be more careful with cards in Sony cameras in regards to one aspect. When you format a card in most cameras it deletes the data from the read table, this means that the data itself is still there it is just the index that is deleted, the files eventually get written over. With Sony it doesn't, it actually does a low level format of the card. You will probably notice that formatting a card in a Sony camera takes longer than other brands, this is why. This means that with other brands if you accidentally format you can use software which will in most circumstances recover the files from the card if it hasn't been used since and the data has not been written over. With Sony this very rarely works and you will need a lab recovery and the success rate of recovery is very low compared to cards that have been used in other branded cameras.

Not sure why Sony do it this way I would guess it has something to with being able to write to a low level formatted card quicker than overwriting data.

Last edited:
Anyone know of a teleconverter that works with the 70-200 F4 G?
I know the official Sony ones only work with the F2.8

Okay I already said this above but...

You should never delete individual images on the card via the camera as it can cause read table errors, yes the option is there but you should not use it!

You should never delete individual images on the card via a computer as it will absolutely guarantee read table errors and can also corrupt the card leaving it useless.

You should never format the card via a computer as it can cause read table errors and can also corrupt the card leaving it useless.

Inserting the card into other devices can also cause issues for example digital photo frames, games consoles, televisions etc. The way some devices access information on the card can cause read table problems, although this is rare.

Using a card that has previously been used in another branded camera can sometimes cause issues, the Nikon D750 for example was famous for this and would throw up all sorts of error messages if you were using a card that had been previously used in a different camera even when the card had been formatted before use.

You can either transfer photos from the card to your computer via usb or via a card reader, the card should only ever be formatted in the camera.

This is the case for all cameras not just Sony.

You do need to be more careful with cards in Sony cameras in regards to one aspect. When you format a card in most cameras it deletes the data from the read table, this means that the data itself is still there it is just the index that is deleted, the files eventually get written over. With Sony it doesn't, it actually does a low level format of the card. You will probably notice that formatting a card in a Sony camera takes longer than other brands, this is why. This means that with other brands if you accidentally format you can use software which will in most circumstances recover the files from the card if it hasn't been used since and the data has not been written over. With Sony this very rarely works and you will need a lab recovery and the success rate of recovery is very low.

Why the "okay I already said this" and then the bold type when I had stated that I was now doing as advised? I really struggle with forums sometimes and the way people speak to each other. I am not five - I do not need to be spoken to like I am.

I have been using SD cards for over a decade and have never had a corrupted one so how would I know that you were not supposed to use them this way? If I had beenTrumpian in my stupidity then fine, but I don't think it's on that level.

Thank you for the information - I've already said this but - I already changed my method.

Why the "okay I already said this" and then the bold type when I had stated that I was now doing as advised? I really struggle with forums sometimes and the way people speak to each other. I am not five - I do not need to be spoken to like I am.

I have been using SD cards for over a decade and have never had a corrupted one so how would I know that you were not supposed to use them this way? If I had beenTrumpian in my stupidity then fine, but I don't think it's on that level.

Thank you for the information - I've already said this but - I already changed my method.

You seem a sensitive chap :D

I was only trying to help you and I highlighted in bold as I thought it was important and from your posts it seemed you were "confused".

I notice I am not the only person in this thread you have been quite rude to after they tried to assist you.

Never worry I won't try to assist you again and will stick you on my ignore list.

Last edited:

Unfortunately only Sony teleconverters will work with Sony lenses as far as I am aware, I don't think there is any third party t.c's for e-mount but I could be wrong.

Unfortunately only Sony teleconverters will work with Sony lenses as far as I am aware, I don't think there is any third party t.c's for e-mount but I could be wrong.

No there isn't - I tried for ages to find one for my Sony 70-200 f4 G- I ended up buying the Sony 70-200 f2.8 as I have Sony 1,4 & 2x TC's

Les :)

@Alchimaera71 FWIW people here can sometimes appear rude, blunt or condescending. Usually it's simply down to the written medium with a lack of expression through body language, tone of voice etc to modulate the words & deliver what they really mean. Most people are genuinely helpful and may occasionally appear to act in an arsolean manner simply because 'the internet'. After a while you get to know who the true arsoleans are (none of which have been commenting here) because it colours every aspect of their posting.

I didn’t know this, why doesn’t the 1.4x work with the 70-200mm f4? I’ve actually been contemplating this lens (along with the Tammy 70-180mm f2.8)

Anyone got the Sony 24-105 F4? I have the Tamron 28-75 but think I could trade the bigger aperture for a wider zoom range particularly at the longer end.
Its mainly for travel where I don’t have the luxury of extra baggage.
Any thoughts on the lens and how it would compare to the Tamron image wise (I know they are roughly the same size and the Sony is slightly heavier). Thanks

Anyone got the Sony 24-105 F4? I have the Tamron 28-75 but think I could trade the bigger aperture for a wider zoom range particularly at the longer end.
Any thoughts on the lens and how it would compare to the Tamron image wise (I know they are roughly the same size and the Sony is slightly heavier). Thanks
I've got the 24-105mm lens.
I really like it. It's a good range, and I bought it to replace the 28-70mm kit lens.
I'm more than happy with the image quality but have never tried the tamron so can't compare.

Last edited:
OK, I can tell what the zeiss 55 is designed for....

Alfa Giulia 3 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Alfa Giulia 1 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Alfa Giulia 6 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Curiously, and I have NO idea why, but for one image of this series it set the focal point to a couple of feet in front of the car. I can't possibly have pointed the camera at the ground to focus, but that's what it *seemed* to do.

I too have the 24-105. It's sharp enough, particularly if stopped down a little, OOF areas aren't attractive but most of the time that's not an issue, focussing is quick and accurate, biggest flaw is that at 24mm the vignetting is strong and has to be fixed in post. Apart from being a little heavy it's a perfect travel lens.

There are plenty of comparison vids online. I watched a few of them before plumping for the Sony (bought on here recently) although I've heard people on here recommending the Tamron as the better option, I wanted the bit of extra width and and happy with it so far. Although I have the Sony 16-35m T FE f/4 in the post from China and will decide after I've played with it for a few days whether to keep the 24-105 or not. I've got the 70-200mm f/2.8 and it will always be my most used lens, so not too worried about having 35mm to 70mm uncovered. On another note, took out my new 200-600mm this morning for a test drive this morning and it's a revelation - especially getting 900mm on the APS-C mode. Brokeh much better than I expected, something I was worried about after having the Nikon 400mm f/2.8. It's so light in comparison too - used it handheld on a 90 minute walk and it was a breeze. I feel it's going to become my most used lens over the Summer.

I guess it depends on what you are going to use it for. The tamron is f2.8 so better in low light. I got the 24-105 as I mainly use it for landscapes (the extra focal lengths at both ends are welcome benefits whilst I’m not that bothered about aperture). I can for see it being my go to landscape lens. If I want something longer I have to use my 100-400 as I sold the 70-200 f4 I had because it didn’t seem to make much sense having it just for the occasional landscape trip.

Mainly landscapes, cityscapes and street. Am thinking the extra bit wider and quite a bit longer would be of benefit and I don’t do a lot of low light stuff (on holiday I take out a Sony RX 100iv at night). If optically it’s as good or better than the Tamron I think I’ll do a part exchange at MPB (can get a “like new” example for an extra £400).

£400 extra for a second hand f/4 lens plus your Tamron f/2.8? 'Hell no' would be my thoughts.

Funnily enough I have the 24-105 and have been thinking of changing it for the Tamron. If interested I suspect we could do a deal that is somewhat better than what MBP are offering you. PM me if you wish to discuss further.

£400 extra for a second hand f/4 lens plus your Tamron f/2.8? 'Hell no' would be my thoughts.

I have recently done that switch, ended up costing around £160 to go from a like new 28-75 2.8 to a like new 24-105.

Used the 24-105 for the first time yesterday. I really appreciated the 4mm at the wide end, but only used it for 5 shots or so so won't know until I use it more.

Last edited:
I have recently done that switch, ended up costing around £160 to go from a like new 28-75 2.8 to a like new 24-105.

Used the 24-105 for the first time yesterday. I really appreciated the 4mm at the wide end, but only used it for 5 shots or so so won't know until I use it more.
Where did you get that deal?

Funnily enough I have the 24-105 and have been thinking of changing it for the Tamron. If interested I suspect we could do a deal that is somewhat better than what MBP are offering you. PM me if you wish to discuss further.
let me have a think about that without the bottle of wine

Back