The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

So - Kit zooms, yes or no?

Having just spent much more than I planned to on a new A7ii and having only a manual Lensbaby or adapted Nikon 50 1.8D to go with - I find myself feeling the need of an autofocus lens but having hardly any money.

I try to avoid zooms as a rule but maybe the kit lenses are 'ok' for now? Also the zoom range is a bit pants isn't it?

Would I be happier with the kit 50 do you think? Or is the small kit zoom worth it? I'd love a longer zoom but fear I cannot yet afford one...

The A7 kit zoom is pretty good for it's price but you need to be aware of its limitations. If you are shooting at f/5.6 and smaller it's fine. Wide open it's not as sharp.

Having just spent much more than I planned to on a new A7ii and having only a manual Lensbaby or adapted Nikon 50 1.8D to go with - I find myself feeling the need of an autofocus lens but having hardly any money.

I try to avoid zooms as a rule but maybe the kit lenses are 'ok' for now? Also the zoom range is a bit pants isn't it?

Would I be happier with the kit 50 do you think? Or is the small kit zoom worth it? I'd love a longer zoom but fear I cannot yet afford one...

I’ve found the 28 - 70 kit lens to be really far better than I’d anticipated. I was also a prime addict back in my old film days but the kit lens was only a £100 extra with the A7ii body so seemed a no brainer at the time. You can pick one up second hand for around £125 - £150 and even if you can eventually afford better primes you’d find it really useful as a holiday type lens. The photo above was taken with it.

The A7 kit zoom is pretty good for it's price but you need to be aware of its limitations. If you are shooting at f/5.6 and smaller it's fine. Wide open it's not as sharp.

How is the 50 f/1.8 at wide apertures? I might prefer to adapt my Nikon 50 and just carry on with manual focus if it's the only way of getting decent sharpness. I do struggle with trying not to be obsessed with sharpness because I find that it can spoil my fun if I allow that fussy part of me to get carried away, but it is nice to get a really sharp image when you want one.

How is the 50 f/1.8 at wide apertures? I might prefer to adapt my Nikon 50 and just carry on with manual focus if it's the only way of getting decent sharpness. I do struggle with trying not to be obsessed with sharpness because I find that it can spoil my fun if I allow that fussy part of me to get carried away, but it is nice to get a really sharp image when you want one.

Its the best nifty 50 out there in terms of sharpness. AF is not the best tbh.
what is your budget? might help suggest something

RE: your comment on camera sizes on previous page, I don't have small hands per say but I still find FF DSLRs too huge and bulky ;)

In my experience the 50 1.8D is sharp enough wide open and gets better 2/2.5 etc.

Its the best nifty 50 out there in terms of sharpness. AF is not the best tbh.
what is your budget? might help suggest something

RE: your comment on camera sizes on previous page, I don't have small hands per say but I still find FF DSLRs too huge and bulky ;)

What is my budget... well that's a complicated question... If you'd have asked me yesterday I wouldn't have been spending £900 on a new A7ii :rolleyes:

Part of me wants to spend as little as possible - another part wants to either get a great lens or not bother and another part wants to blow ALL my savings on something like a G series or Sigma ART....

I think I can keep a hold of the last one because being totally skint is too terrifying - so I guess I would say - I would like to buy the basic kit lens unless it's going to be as rubbish as say my 18-55 Nikon kit lens in which case I's rather spend £300-500 on a used decent zoom or two cheaper primes, IF they will be decent....

OK that wasn't very clear...

I'll try again...

All these prices will be for USED lenses.

Option One: Buy cheap kit 28-70mm lens for £130-150 and also buy F-E adaptor for my Nikon 50 f/1.8D + Lensbaby Composer Pro II (and maybe sneak in the Edge optic I've had my eye on...)

Option Two: Buy two cheapish, fast as I can afford FE mount primes, maybe one wide angle & a 50 or 85.

Option Three: Buy an LA-E adaptor & hunt around for some A-mount lenses...

Option Four: Buy the 24-70 Zeiss f/4

OK - I think that's clearer? Recommendations? Non-Sony options welcome as long as they're AF.

What is my budget... well that's a complicated question... If you'd have asked me yesterday I wouldn't have been spending £900 on a new A7ii :rolleyes:

Part of me wants to spend as little as possible - another part wants to either get a great lens or not bother and another part wants to blow ALL my savings on something like a G series or Sigma ART....

I think I can keep a hold of the last one because being totally skint is too terrifying - so I guess I would say - I would like to buy the basic kit lens unless it's going to be as rubbish as say my 18-55 Nikon kit lens in which case I's rather spend £300-500 on a used decent zoom or two cheaper primes, IF they will be decent....

I'll try again...

Option One: Buy cheap kit 28-70mm lens for £130-150 and also buy F-E adaptor for my Nikon 50 f/1.8D + Lensbaby Composer Pro II (and maybe sneak in the Edge optic I've had my eye on...)

Option Two: Buy two cheapish, fast as I can afford FE mount primes, maybe one wide angle & a 50 or 85.

OK - I think that's clearer? Recommendations? Non-Sony options welcome as long as they're AF.

if you can stretch to £500-550 then a tamron 28-75mm f2,8 would be the best all in one option. IQ wise its really good.
there is a used one at LCE at £550 - https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Tamron-28-75mm-f2.8-Di-III-RXD_274286.html
Depending on your haggling skills you can get that further reduced. Based on the fact that the price of this lens has recently fallen and that they are offering a free PD slide worth £30-40 I'd ask them to meet you at £500 and see how it goes.

I'd advice against option 3.

Tamron 28-75 is better than option 4.

Certainly don't blow all your saving especially during the current climate. The tamron will match just about any old cheap prime for sharpness. Its constant f2.8 and not horrendously expensive like GM lenses.

In fact if you could I'd advice buying an A7+tamron 28-75 than A7ii+cheap primes.

Last edited:

The 28-70mm is surprisingly good in terms of sharpness, I’ve been happy with the results with mine for landscapes etc. My only issue is that I prefer 24mm at the wide end. I’ve not used the 50mm f1.8 but have been looking at it recently and really like the rendering of it, and that’s more important to me than outright sharpness. At the moment I have the Samyang 45mm f1.8 and an really pleased with it. Feels cheap but the images are nice imo.

I’m still on the fence about selling my 28-70mm. I have the 24-70mm f4 which is my preferred choice but I keep thinking of hanging on to the 28-70mm as it’s lighter for travel.

Last edited:

I'll try again...

If you are considering option Four then you should really consider the Tamron 28 -70 f/2.8 - it was about £549 grey from E-Infinity and by all account is far better than the Zeiss f/4 and gives the Sony 24 - 70 GM f/2.8 a good run for its money if not quite matching it.

I'm not sure. I only have the FE85 which is autofocus and I'll happily use that wide open. My other lenses are all manual focus, Voigtlander 40/1.2, 21/3.5 and Contax CZ 80-200/4

I've mainly used MF since I started with the A7 in 2014/15

Thanks for all your replies everyone. For now the skinflint part has won and I ordered a 50 1.8 to get me started. When I've saved up again - well, who knows! Certainly will be thinking about that Tamron though. Shouldn't take me too long to save up, I never realised just how much I used to spend at Morrisons...

Thanks for all your replies everyone. For now the skinflint part has won and I ordered a 50 1.8 to get me started. When I've saved up again - well, who knows! Certainly will be thinking about that Tamron though. Shouldn't take me too long to save up, I never realised just how much I used to spend at Morrisons...
I had the Sony 50 f1.8. optically it's streets ahead of the Nikon 50D, but the AF is faecal - every bit as bad as a first generation AF camera from the 80s (I speak from experience). If you want a cheap prime for the A7 then get a used Samyang 35 f2.8 for around £150 from LCE.

I had the Sony 50 f1.8. optically it's streets ahead of the Nikon 50D, but the AF is faecal - every bit as bad as a first generation AF camera from the 80s (I speak from experience). If you want a cheap prime for the A7 then get a used Samyang 35 f2.8 for around £150 from LCE.

So when you say 'faecal' - haha - do you mean slow? That wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as I rarely shoot fast moving or even moving subjects. The only moving objects I tend to shoot are whippets which are either travelling at 100 miles an hour (no chance) or are completely stationary (asleep, appear dead).

CHARGERS:

Have a few NP-FW50s and want a charger - how much would you pay for one? I'd like to charge more than one at once but without blowing them up ideally. I see one on Amazon for only a tenner - is this safe?!

So when you say 'faecal' - haha - do you mean slow?

I mean inaccurate, hunting, sawing backwards and forwards like an old screw-drive telezoom, not settling on the point you actually have the focus box over. Sometimes I would get lucky, but about half the time I wouldn't. I have owned a Samyang 50 f1.4 which is notorious for less than stellar AF, yet it was very much better than the (brand new) SEL50 that I had. Optically it's a good lens, and if the AF was fast, reliable and accurate then there would be no need for the Zeiss 55. ;)

My experience with it wasn't as bad as yours. It's a bit slow but I always found it accurate especially once it's firmware was updated.

My experience with it wasn't as bad as yours. It's a bit slow but I always found it accurate especially once it's firmware was updated.

I know, but mine was already on the latest firmware. Really wish it had been better - may try another some time in the hope it will work acceptably & I can flog the 55.

Mine focussed fine, wasn't overwhelmed with the image output. Okay for the money but not a keeper.

Aren't the cheaper AF mechanism lenses worse on the earlier bodies?

Aren't the cheaper AF mechanism lenses worse on the earlier bodies?
Apparently, yes.

Took a few pictures on the way to Tesco this morning with both 55 and Sammy 85 - subject to checking on screen, there's not a lot to choose in terms of focus speed on the A7III.

Apparently, yes.

Took a few pictures on the way to Tesco this morning with both 55 and Sammy 85 - subject to checking on screen, there's not a lot to choose in terms of focus speed on the A7III.

When I compared a Samyang 35 against the SZ the difference was only evident with targets moving towards / away from the camera and in low light moving subjects where it stresses the AF, in single shot with static subjects difference wasnt noticeable.

Phoned Wex this morning and changed my order from the Sony 50 to the Samyang 35 - Thanks everyone for saving me from a frustrating new kit experience! When I changed the order, the Wex guy said - "good choice, I've used the 50 myself and it is not very good" - PHEW! Just have to wait again for delivery now....

Phoned Wex this morning and changed my order from the Sony 50 to the Samyang 35 - Thanks everyone for saving me from a frustrating new kit experience! When I changed the order, the Wex guy said - "good choice, I've used the 50 myself and it is not very good" - PHEW! Just have to wait again for delivery now....

Good stuff.

Personally I wouldn't go near the cheaper focus system lenses after a bad experience with the 50mm macro. They may work better on the later bodies but even so I'd definitely want to buy from a supplier who'd take it back without whinging if I wasn't happy.

It's such a shame as it seems to be just the focus systems that spoil these lenses, optically they seem good.

I'm hoping you'll post some lensbaby pictures, I've never tried them.

Jeeeeeezzzz, when you look at the numbers... I wonder why anyone is in the camera business. Assuming Sony are one of the market leaders people must be crying at companies not doing so well, Nikon maybe? Maybe some will be banking on models which may be one last hopeful throw of the dice.

Maybe the market will end up a niche / Leica sort of market soon.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-reveals-all-time-low-alpha-camera-sales-of-400k/

Good stuff.

Personally I wouldn't go near the cheaper focus system lenses after a bad experience with the 50mm macro. They may work better on the later bodies but even so I'd definitely want to buy from a supplier who'd take it back without whinging if I wasn't happy.

It's such a shame as it seems to be just the focus systems that spoil these lenses, optically they seem good.

I'm hoping you'll post some lensbaby pictures, I've never tried them.

I'm LOVING the Lensbabies - I have the Composer Pro II with Sweet 35 plus Macro adapters for my Nikons and I have had SO much fun with it - it really has re-ignited my enthusiasm for photography. I'm going to sound like a Lensbaby advert now but - it also helps to unleash the creative part of me and helps to unshackle my focus obsession and perfectionist part that can really spoil my fun at times. Also, even when you compose a shot carefully, the way the Lensbaby handles light means that you never know exactly what you're going to get, which means that it's really fun getting back to the computer and seeing what you've got - I can see how that definitely wouldn't be for everybody but it's really suiting me well. Here are some images (taken on the Nikons)

DSC_0786jpg.jpg

DSC_0271smaller.jpg

DSC_0345jpg-2.jpgDSC_0383b-3.jpgDSC_0400-2.jpgDSC_0440.jpg

All Taken with the Lensbaby Sweet 35 with & without Macro - On either the D5200 or D90. Processed using LR/PS/Nik -

Jeeeeeezzzz, when you look at the numbers... I wonder why anyone is in the camera business. Assuming Sony are one of the market leaders people must be crying at companies not doing so well, Nikon maybe? Maybe some will be banking on models which may be one last hopeful throw of the dice.

Maybe the market will end up a niche / Leica sort of market soon.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-reveals-all-time-low-alpha-camera-sales-of-400k/
That says ‘Sony camera sales’. I think that shows the drop in compact camera sales due to camera phones rather than a drop in higher end photography cameras. Cameras being added to phones mean most don’t need a compact camera now as their phone is easier to use, especially when uploading to Instagram or facebook. Sony sell phones too so maybe they have caused their own sales downfall.

I bet there has been a similar down turn in calculator sales since mobile phones took off. I can’t remember the last time I used a basic calculator as I use the calculator app on my phone. Scientific calculator sales are probably on a similar trend to high end cameras sales.

There will likely be a decrease in sales due to COVID-19 as most wont be spending on luxury goods like camera kit at this moment.

Last edited:
That says ‘Sony camera sales’. I think that shows the drop in compact camera sales due to camera phones rather than a drop in higher end photography cameras. Cameras being added to phones mean most don’t need a compact camera now as their phone is easier to use, especially when uploading to Instagram or facebook.

I know camera phones are popular and you always have them with you but finger jabbing at a gripless skinny oblong screen at half arms length in front of my face is a joyless experience for me plus looked at closely the pictures are often lacking, imo. I have a 1" compact which I take with me sometimes when my A7 or MFT is too much and when I can remember to take it.

I know camera phones are popular and you always have them with you but finger jabbing at a gripless skinny oblong screen at half arms length in front of my face is a joyless experience for me plus looked at closely the pictures are often lacking, imo. I have a 1" compact which I take with me sometimes when my A7 or MFT is too much and when I can remember to take it.

Especially when your phone is about 6 years old because - well it still works so why replace it?! I'd much rather invest my money in cameras than phones. I don't use intagram or anything like that though so - I guess each to their own.

It reminds me about someone saying once that my generation had the pleasure of slamming a phone receiver down, now all this generation can do is poke at their screen in an angry rage :LOL:

Last edited:
Especially when your phone is about 6 years old because - well it still works so why replace it?! I'd much rather invest my money in cameras than phones. I don't use intagram or anything like that though so - I guess each to their own.

It reminds me about someone saying once that my generation had the pleasure of slamming a phone receiver down, now all this generation can do is poke at their screen in an angry rage :LOL:
Sadly I think you are both in the minority regarding wanting compact cameras and not part of the major section of the market they were aimed towards. I have a feeling a decade ago many compact cameras would have been sold to families to photograph their children. They don’t need compact cameras now as mobile phones have taken over and are easier to share their photos on social media.

I would bet if you look at the number of photos being taken it’s likely increased so photography isn’t dying, it’s just the medium that’s used to take those photos that’s changed. The ‘art’ of photography may be decreasing because of changes social media has brought to photography but that’s another discussion.

Being 38 Ive lived through most the big changes in the last 4 decades. I remember using rotary dials on corded phones, phone boxes with phones in them and how amazing it was to get internet via dial up. If you told children now that you took photos on film and couldn’t see the results until you sent them off to the lab getting them back a week or two later.... and you only had 24 photos they would look at you weird! I went with my nieces to the telegraph museum in Cornwall a few years ago. They were amazed by some of the technology there!

AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!

So the A7ii has arrived and I don't know whether I'm having bad luck this week or being too sensitive - opinions please?

The first thing - the Sony box was loose inside the packing box - so when the DPD driver threw it on the ground in front of me (and no doubt numerous people before him in the delivery chain had also done) it gave an alarming thud and rattle...

I got it open to find yes, indeed - no packing material and a very rattly box. Opened it - everything very loose, including new camera which had presumably been merrily being bashed around for 24 hours.

Now this sort of treatment of a delicate electronic device concerns me... I certainly wouldn't treat it that way...

Next - got the camera out of the wrapping and the right hand side of the screen - again.... looks like it's already started to delaminate. A tiny bit - a millimetre or less - but you can see it's not perfectly stuck down and I'm thinking - this is likely to get worse fast - am I right?

What would YOU do??!!

Do the screens never arrive perfect? Am I being too picky? Does it being thrown around mean it might be a little bit damaged?

I don't want to switch it on and start registering it yet but couldn't have done anyway if I'd had no spare batteries because the battery was COMPLETELY flat - very poor and I've never had a battery arrive like that from the factory, they usually have at least a little bit of charge...

I am beyond frustrated now...

AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!

So the A7ii has arrived and I don't know whether I'm having bad luck this week or being too sensitive - opinions please?

The first thing - the Sony box was loose inside the packing box - so when the DPD driver threw it on the ground in front of me (and no doubt numerous people before him in the delivery chain had also done) it gave an alarming thud and rattle...

I got it open to find yes, indeed - no packing material and a very rattly box. Opened it - everything very loose, including new camera which had presumably been merrily being bashed around for 24 hours.

Now this sort of treatment of a delicate electronic device concerns me... I certainly wouldn't treat it that way...

Next - got the camera out of the wrapping and the right hand side of the screen - again.... looks like it's already started to delaminate. A tiny bit - a millimetre or less - but you can see it's not perfectly stuck down and I'm thinking - this is likely to get worse fast - am I right?

What would YOU do??!!

Do the screens never arrive perfect? Am I being too picky? Does it being thrown around mean it might be a little bit damaged?

I don't want to switch it on and start registering it yet but couldn't have done anyway if I'd had no spare batteries because the battery was COMPLETELY flat - very poor and I've never had a battery arrive like that from the factory, they usually have at least a little bit of charge...

Just an obvious one to check to start with - is it the actual screen that is delaminating or could there be a screen protector on it from the previous owner? (I’m assuming it’s second hand).

With regard to the lack of packaging and handling I’d be onto to retailer informing them of such and that you we be evaluating whether this had had any effect on the camera over the next 48 hours or and reserve the right to reject. You may reject anyway if the screen is delaminating.

AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!

What would YOU do??!!

The a7 series come with a factory fitted screen protector.
Delamination is not unusual.
You can remove it and replace it.
Plenty of videos on YouTube.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/john.blog/2017/11/18/fixing-sony-a7-lcd-delamination/amp/

Last edited:
AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!

What would YOU do??!!

All Sony batteries that arrive with a new camera are discharged that is very normal I assume it’s for health and safety reasons when shipping.

OK thanks everyone that's very helpful -

It is new - and it may be the screen protector so that feels ok then.

Well I've got two years warranty - I expect that any faults caused by the bashing around would turn up by then?!

Well just had a good chat with John Lewis tech support and now feel a bit better. I have 30 days to give it a thorough test to make sure everything is working as it should or I can send it for exchange. Apart from the obvious basic photo functions and the IBIS - what else should I check is working ok? :ty:

Back