The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Would you guys really use the f1.2 a lot? If so what for?

To me one of the advantages of the latest cameras is that the higher ISO's are quite good meaning that you don't have to shoot at very wide apertures.

Last edited:

To me one of the advantages of the latest cameras is that the higher ISO's are quite good meaning that you don't have to shoot at very wide apertures.

BOKEH baby

The opposite, its very good, @F1.2 its tack sharp, renders nicely OOF. AF is a bit slower than the excellent 23 1.4 but its a lot of glass to move.

I had considered picking up a cheap X-e1 and getting that lens. But then I'd end up running 3 camera systems

BOKEH baby
Well yes but there's a time, place and subject for it and IMO it can be overdone. To be honest I can't think of an occasion I've wanted to use my f1.2 at f1.2 other than when testing it. Mostly I'd rather shoot at an aperture that suits the subject and that usually means stopping down and upping the ISO.

I had considered picking up a cheap X-e1 and getting that lens. But then I'd end up running 3 camera systems
Wouldn't you get "better" bokeh from FF and a 85mm f1.4?

PS. I know I'm getting boring... if you like the lens just buy it and a body to put it on :D

Last edited:
Just emailed wex about the batis 85mm asking how long the pre order queue is and they said people who ordered in November are still waiting

Well yes but there's a time, place and subject for it and IMO it can be overdone. To be honest I can't think of an occasion I've wanted to use my f1.2 at f1.2 other than when testing it. Mostly I'd rather shoot at an aperture that suits the subject and that usually means stopping down and upping the ISO.

It's not for everyone but it's nice to have the option to get creative.

It's not for everyone but it's nice to have the option to get creative.
Yes, but looking at the spec... 56mm f1.2 on APS-C, isn't it about the same as 85mm f1.8 on FF?

I have an 85mm f1.8 and a 50mm f1.2 and if I had an APS-C camera I'd do some comparison shots just out of interest... but I have an A7 and MFT, no APS-C.

Last edited:
Yes, but looking at the spec... 56mm f1.2 on APS-C, isn't it about the same as 85mm f1.8 on FF?

I have and 85mm f1.8 and a 50mm f1.2 and if I had an APS-C camera I'd do some comparison shots just out of interest... but I have an A7 and MFT, no APS-C.

Exactly. And look at the 85mm options for Sony. Zeiss. Quite expensive and a little on the rare side. The g master - not out yet and a little on the pricey side. So have looked at other options to get a fast 85ish prime.

I have an 85mm f1.8 and a 50mm f1.2 and if I had an APS-C camera I'd do some comparison shots just out of interest... but I have an A7 and MFT, no APS-C.
As I keep saying, the Sigma 85mm f1.4 was probably the best AF lens I'd ever used before buying into the A7 system.

Exactly. And look at the 85mm options for Sony. Zeiss. Quite expensive and a little on the rare side. The g master - not out yet and a little on the pricey side. So have looked at other options to get a fast 85ish prime.
If you are happy to MF then you could get a 85mm f1.8 for something between £100-200. Might satisfy the GAS for a while and you could probably sell it for what you paid. Maybe. You could even splash out and get an old 85mm f1.2 for your Sony.

Surely a Canon 85mm on adapter would be considerably less expensive than buying a new Nikon body :p

Yeah, shallow DOF and faster shutter speed or lower ISO.

Last edited:
Just remembered I took a tight head shot of my GF last summer with 85mm at f1.8. Her eyeballs are sharp but her eyebrows and teeth are already out of the DoF. At greater distance you'll get more DoF but this still illustrates why I'd rather stop the lens down a bit and use a higher ISO, there just isn't too much I want to shoot and end up with DoF so thin.

Just remembered I took a tight head shot of my GF last summer with 85mm at f1.8. Her eyeballs are sharp but her eyebrows and teeth are already out of the DoF. At greater distance you'll get more DoF but this still illustrates why I'd rather stop the lens down a bit and use a higher ISO, there just isn't too much I want to shoot and end up with DoF so thin.

But shoot from a distance and things change. You still get shallower DOF overall in the image and it can make the images pop much more.

But shoot from a distance and things change. You still get shallower DOF overall in the image and it can make the images pop much more.

I did mention distance :D but are we talking about geeks looking at shallow DoF and bokeh and cooing or something that suits the shot?

I suppose other things to consider could include the shutter speed and as some but maybe not all Fuji's don't have 1/8000 second mechanical shutter available that gets us into ND's and electronic shutters and the possible niggles and annoyances these things can cause and there's also the possibility of optical nasties which may be associated with such wide apertures.

But as I said earlier, I'm just being a party pooper here... buy the lens and something to use it on :D

Surely a Canon 85mm on adapter would be considerably less expensive than buying a new Nikon body :p

Should have mentioned that I'd like to have Nikon along side the Sony set up. I love the Sony system, the more I use it the more I'm impressed - especially the zeiss optics. But I also miss dslr

I did mention distance :D but are we talking about geeks looking at shallow DoF and bokeh and cooing or something that suits the shot?

I suppose other things to consider could include the shutter speed and as some but maybe not all Fuji's don't have 1/8000 second mechanical shutter available that gets us into ND's and electronic shutters and the possible niggles and annoyances these things can cause and there's also the possibility of optical nasties which may be associated with such wide apertures.

But as I said earlier, I'm just being a party pooper here... buy the lens and something to use it on :D

Well it depends, you like more DOF, others like less. Im sure we can all shoot the way we want to.

The new Fuji has a 1/8000 mechanical and most other fujis have 1/4000. So that issues gone, older Fujis just use a ND, not an issue. The Fuji 1.2 isnt of the old breed of 1.2 lenses, they are all optically very good. Agreed though elec shutter can cause strange things.

BUY BUY BUY, only live once. :D

Last edited:
Well it depends, you like more DOF, others like less. Im sure we can all shoot the way we want to.

The new Fuji has a 1/8000 mechanical and most other fujis have 1/4000. So that issues gone, older Fujis just use a ND, not an issue. The Fuji 1.2 isnt of the old breed of 1.2 lenses, they are all optically very good. Agreed though elec shutter can cause strange things.

BUY BUY BUY, only live once. :D

And may be living in the garden if/when my wife finds out I have 3 camera systems

Tried that. Af let me down in a big way.
If you really want to use wide apertures is AF the way to go? It'll focus quickly on something... but with MF, if you have the time, you can choose exactly what your point of focus is.

I suppose this is just more geek territory as in a whole image whatever is the point of focus might not actually be all that visible.

66.67% crop at 85mm and f1.8, very little in the DoF...

Last edited:
If you really want to use wide apertures is AF the way to go? It'll focus quickly on something... but with MF, if you have the time, you can choose exactly what your point of focus is.

I suppose this is just more geek territory as in a whole image whatever is the point of focus might not actually be all that visible.

I dont know about that, I exclusively shoot at F1.2 / F1.4 and dont have many OOF shots at all. If I had to MF Id never get any pictures in focus as my subjects tend to move and I dont have time to mess about, as you say timed/posed stuff its okay.

e.g. I have 51 points, choosing 1 point in AFC, I can move it rapidly over an eye etc and achieve lock pretty much instantly and get the shot.

Last edited:

66.67% crop at 85mm and f1.8, very little in the DoF...

I was using the 55 at a kids party I was shooting. Needed to get closer without moving. Tried the canon 85 adapted and it hunted so badly I didn't get any shots I was actually trying for.
I don't mind manual focusing - sometimes it's fun. But not ideal for kids trotting around. Or maybe it's just my bad technique.

I was using the 55 at a kids party I was shooting. Needed to get closer without moving. Tried the canon 85 adapted and it hunted so badly I didn't get any shots I was actually trying for.
I don't mind manual focusing - sometimes it's fun. But not ideal for kids trotting around. Or maybe it's just my bad technique.

You aint getting nothing moving with shallow DOF using MF. Especially not kids.

I dont know about that, I exclusively shoot at F1.2 / F1.4 and dont have many OOF shots at all. If I had to MF Id never get any pictures in focus as my subjects tend to move and I dont have time to mess about, as you say timed/posed stuff its okay.

I wonder how your camera knows if you want to focus on the surface of an eye or on an eyelash or indeed which eyelash :D

Haven't seen many pictures posted by you but I could have missed them, actually I don't know what you shoot so what subject do you find suitable for f1.2/1,4?

Last edited:
Peaking might get you good enough results. I find peaking at wide apertures to be quite accurate as not much peaks... and for whole images rather than heavy crops and for shots at distance the results may be ok. Dunno. Worth a try maybe?

the minolta 85mm 1.4 a mount has wonderful rendering, if you have suitable camera or adapter

I wonder how your camera know if you want to focus on the surface of an eye or on an eyelash or indeed which eyelash :D

Haven't seen many pictures posted by you but I could have missed them, actually I don't know what you shoot so what subject do you find suitable for f1.2/1,4?

The DOF isnt that shallow. Im not shooting macro distance eye only shots. Most stuff is people / kids on location and studio, days out I tend to shoot random stuff, anything that interests me. Dont get me wrong, I do use smaller apertures if I feel the scene requires it. Exclusively probably wasnt the 'best' choice of word but its pretty much 85-90% of my stuff. I love the way a fast lens renders a subject even at distance / full body shots etc.

Last edited:
You aint getting nothing moving with shallow DOF using MF. Especially not kids.

oh yeah? 200% crop from MFT at f0.95, not even peaking to help me :D

and yes, she was moving.

oh yeah? 200% crop from MFT at f0.95, not even peaking to help me :D

and yes, she was moving.

So thats 50mm F2. equiv. Looks like a pose to me and decent timing on your part. Do you think you couldve gotten a continued hit rate of say 80% like a good AF system would?

So thats 50mm F2. equiv. Looks like a pose to me and decent timing on your part. Do you think you couldve gotten a continued hit rate of say 80% like a good AF system would?

You want to get a kid that age to pose? Come on... :D Waiting for the moment maybe but you'll be doing that with AF too :D

I wonder how your camera knows if you want to focus on the surface of an eye or on an eyelash or indeed which eyelash :D

I'm relatively new to the thread. But look back a little and there's a couple of landscape shots.
Obviously I don't need 1.4 for landscape - but I'm more willing to post that sort of stuff on here than other people's children. ***edit - sorry just seen you were quoting twist - ignore the above***

I don't need 1.2. I'd like to have an option for it. Same with 1.4 and 1.8.
If I want a Batis I'm going to have to wait months. And it'll cost me. If I want the g master I'll have to wait and it will cost me.

By getting an 85 of whatever aperture on another system - I can get it tomorrow. Eg Nikon 85 1.8 or sigma 1.4. Plus I then have a Nikon again and can also shoot wildlife again. I can do that with Sony but with compromises.

Last edited:
You want to get a kid that age to pose? Come on... :D Waiting for the moment maybe but you'll be doing that with AF too :D

Nope. With af I don't have to wait for the kid to pause. I just let the camera do its thing along with me moving the point after setting it to do so.

Obviously I don't need 1.4 for landscape - but I'm more willing to post that sort of stuff on here than other people's children. ***edit - sorry just seen you were quoting twist - ignore the above***

I don't need 1.2. I'd like to have an option for it. Same with 1.4 and 1.8.
If I want a Batis I'm going to have to wait months. And it'll cost me. If I want the g master I'll have to wait and it will cost me.

By getting an 85 of whatever aperture on another system - I can get it tomorrow. Eg Nikon 85 1.8 or sigma 1.4. Plus I then have a Nikon again and can also shoot wildlife again. I can do that with Sony but with compromises.

Hmmm, yes. Children are difficult and that's why I post so few and hardly ever of strangers children. I have very few pictures in which strangers children can be clearly identified and in the ones I have it's because they came into the shot rather than them being the subject.

Yes, 85mm and AF in Sony land is going to be expensive and if you have an itch for the Fuji and 56mm f1.2 or for a Nikon and 85mm then I don't see any real reason why you shouldn't have one. As I keep saying, I'm just a party pooper on the f1.2 issue :D

And a PS. My question to Twist wasn't in any way loaded, I was honestly just asking as I can't remember seeing many if any pictures in this thread and was genuinely interested in both preferred subject and specifically when f1.2/1.4 is used :D

Back