The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I bet the Sigma will be very similar in size just not price ;)

Maybe but I'm hoping for slightly smaller and lighter... I wouldn't be surprised if it was around £800 in these post-Brexit times, will be dearer than the now "older" Canon/Nikon mount lens I'd bet.

Sigma are releasing a 24-70 art soon!!

Would need to buy a Canon mount and convert, not even being released in Sony A Mount let alone Sony FE.

Whilst I still think it's a good achievement that Sony bodies can AF other manufacturers' lenses, that's only going to be good for static portraits. Is the performance of the 100-400 the same on the A7Rii?

Maybe you'll have to fork out for the Sony version when it's released ;0)

Whilst I still think it's a good achievement that Sony bodies can AF other manufacturers' lenses, that's only going to be good for static portraits. Is the performance of the 100-400 the same on the A7Rii?

Maybe you'll have to fork out for the Sony version when it's released ;0)

Or he could use his rubbish 5div

The 70-200 with the 1.4x focuses faster than the 100-400. Someone on Facebook said it focused fine on the 100-400. Time to shame him

Thought id mention there's an interesting thread 'Loxia 50 Vs Sony 55' on another site
(DPReview)
Due to a lot of great reviews of the Sony sharpness at wide apertures, I'd given some considerable thought about whether I ought to have bought it rather than the Loxia. The thread so far is backing up what I found on the web, they're both great lenses with strengths etc.

As an older dude (I'm 56 now...:() who grew up with film I can see the attraction of the whole Leica RF thing and it's good that they're kept it going into the digital age rather than relying on selling a tiny number of film cameras at very expensive prices. But there's the lenses too of course and at least people have digital cameras to use them on now although lets not forget that Epson got there first :D Leica are filling a niche as if you want a manual digital RF what other choice is there and the have a loyal fan base and good luck to them.

The only thing I'd criticise are the rebadged Panasonics. I can't really criticise Leica for selling them but I will have a quiet laugh at the people who buy them, I just don't get why anyone would.

PS.
Of course companies don't make everything. There's a whole supply chain there supplying everything from stuff like screws and plastic mouldings through electronic components, wiring and circuit boards and on to whole modules.
Ah Alan you are a younger old f*rt than I thought you were - I'm a 68 year old f*rt - but I got over it :exit:

Nope, as good as it was it had 40k on the shutter (which isn't very high) but mainly I need video and the d700 can't do that at all.
is that something you see yourself doing more of now,im hoping to do more video myself after failing miserably at photography

is that something you see yourself doing more of now,im hoping to do more video myself after failing miserably at photography

I've been doing it a while with my a5100 (fantastic for video), but I don't want to carry both so this way it's not an issue. Now I use a galaxy s7 and whichever camera I'm using at that time.

A7r2 mate good for Stills and video.

So is the d750... again it costs less and offers me more options for less money in terms of lens options and 3rd party accessories that are stupid expensive with Sony or just don't exist.

The a7r2 and fe 35 is 3700 quid, the Nikon and 35 ART is 2100 quid.

Last edited:
Ah Alan you are a younger old f*rt than I thought you were - I'm a 68 year old f*rt - but I got over it :exit:

Sometimes I feel young and sometimes I feel old but they say you're only as old as the woman you...

get ordered around by.

Last edited:
So is the d750... again it costs less and offers me more options for less money in terms of lens options and 3rd party accessories that are stupid expensive with Sony or just don't exist.

The ibis must be of benefit for video though?

Lensrentals on the Sony 12-24mm f4...

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/06/sony-fe-12-24-f4-g-mtf-tests/

They compare it to the Sigma 12-24mm Art and the Canon 11-24mm.

What they say...

"Summary
This was a test of the MTF of a new lens. It was not a lens review. Had it been an actual lens review you would have been instructed which lens to buy via a handy click link at the bottom of the post. It was simply an MTF test. There are lots of other things that go into selecting a wide angle lens; flare resistance, autofocus accuracy, reliability, how it handles, etc.

The MTF results tell you if the lens should be a sharp lens, and the results here indicate that it should. That makes it worth further investigation for those of you interested in this focal length. It’s one of the more impressive Sony offerings that have come out; reasonable price, excellent MTF, reasonable sample variation.

There is something that is more interesting to me in the bigger picture, though. Sony has made this lens smaller than the others in this range, which will be nice sitting on an FE camera. And they’ve done that without the customary ‘Sony surcharge’, which is nice on your wallet. At this point, I can’t help but be very impressed."

And also...

"Sample Variation
We actually do have a variation number finally set up and approved. But until we’ve recalculated it for 500 lenses, I won’t be presenting it. I will show you our standard variance graph that basically shows you the range of these lenses. It’s better than average. Sony seems to be making progress with their sample variation in the newer designs."

That's nice.

Does that do 4k with s log?

Yeah, kind of, the ibis in Sony cameras isnt that great for video though it just doesn't work as well as other manufacturers and I can use VR lenses.

Ok thought you just had the siggy 35.

I recently picked up a smooth Q mobile gimble for my 7plus. Is pretty awesome and priced really well. Think an update is coming for android. Worth looking into for your phone.

Ok thought you just had the siggy 35.

I recently picked up a smooth Q mobile gimble for my 7plus. Is pretty awesome and priced really well. Think an update is coming for android. Worth looking into for your phone.

I haven't yet, still deciding on the lens, I have oss lenses for the a5100 in the meantime and might get a 3 axis gimbal for the ultimate stabilisation.

Why? Does it have to for my requirements? See you will buy anything without realising wether you actually need it. Put a big sticker on it, you'll buy it.
Why? There are tons of benefits. 4k offers better quality for obvious reasons and down sampling it to 1080p makes the 1080p quality better.

S log provides more head room for editing your footages. You can get more dynamic range from it.

Huge benefits. That even I make use of. You think I buy stuff with stickers and don't use its features. I do. You have no clue.

D750 I assume doesn't have those features which to me and many video users is a downside.

Mirrorless offers far better video than dslr because of things like that and the quality and tech they have.

Ibis is another thing that's great. And makes a difference.

Don't think you have even tried it?

Maybe you should just record video on your iPhone?

Nope. I love my camera. Last year my A7R2 was the most used camera.

I think it's you who are insecure about your leica but stuck with it hehe ;)

Hmm, how am I stuck with it?

I don't try to force my camera beliefs on others and I don't try to convince people to buy Leica.

Back