The best way to change colours

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
Can anyone recommend the best way to change colours in photoshop Elements 5 or CS3, IE a background colour or maybe the colour of someones shirt or dress, i actually seen this demonstrated in "corel paint shop pro" a few weeks ago on the QVC channel, it was dead easy with paint shop pro, literally the click of the mouse, but can it be done just as easy in PSE 5 or CS3, any feedback greatly appreciated.

Yes there is, but don't get how it works :thinking:

Thanks Spence, i looked at that one, the problem is i'm trying to change a background colour in a portrait, i can't really use any lasso tools because it would have to go around the persons hair, and it just won't work without looking obvious, i just need something which is going to change the background colour and nothing else, i also have corel paintshop pro 9, if it can be done in there :shrug:

Anyone else on this please :shrug:

The colour replacement tool would be the best way.

You could try the select colour range and then use a Hue & Sat adjustment layer to change the colour.

Hi
Use the 'extract' filter (ctrl+alt+x) to make a complicated selection quickly. Then use the hue and sat pallet or other preferred method to change the colour in the selected area.
G.

The color replacer takes whatever colour(s) you choose and adjusts them..
Choose the colour you want to replace using the eye dropper (or selection of colours using the +eye dropper)

Adjust the hue to a silly amount just to see what areas are affected..

You can adjust the fuzziness to include or exclude sections.. which is a bit like the tolerance of the magic wand tool

Ideally do this to a duplicate layer as there will always be patches that change that you don't want to do but you can erase them from the duplicate layer to let the original colour shine through.

Trial and error for this.. and you will get very different results for each photograph.

Hi
Use the 'extract' filter (ctrl+alt+x) to make a complicated selection quickly. Then use the hue and sat pallet or other preferred method to change the colour in the selected area.
G.

OK how exactly do i do this, I'm not that proficient at photoshop so basically need an idiots guide/step by step tutorial to guide me through doing this IE from finding the tools to using them, all your feedback very much appreciated (y) oh and using CS3 or PE5 or coral paintshop pro 9

I must admit I rarely get good results (so far) with the colour replacer.

In CS(2) if it is a colour that does not appear in the rest of the image you can sometimes do it with a hue/saturation layer. Make a new hue/saturation layer then select the colour you wish to replace from the dropdown list at the top. Use the hue and saturation sliders to see if you can get a colour you like.

Is this an image you want to keep private or would you be willing to post it/e-mail it for people to have a play with and maybe then explain how they managed it?

If you post the picture up maybe we can try and then post details on how we achieved the finished results, if the shirt is all one colour you can use the magic wand to make a selection the the hue and saturate to change it easily , if the bacground is one colour its only a few clicks to get the result you want

Stef :)

If you post the picture up maybe we can try and then post details on how we achieved the finished results, if the shirt is all one colour you can use the magic wand to make a selection the the hue and saturate to change it easily , if the background is one colour its only a few clicks to get the result you want

Stef :)

Sorry but i can't post as i haven't had permission from the person whose photo it is, basically I'm just trying to change the background colour, from yellow to blue, but i have to go around the lady's hair which is quite wavy, I've tried using the lasso/magnetic lasso tool and then just colouring the background, but as you can imagine the hair then just doesn't look right as you can't get around every strand, i will try some of your suggestions though if i can work them out in photoshop.

What about posting a crop of the image which only contains hair/background :)

Thanks good idea (y), ok here it is, what i'm trying to do is get the colour blue that is just above her shoulder as the background colour, without affecting her hair, so please feel free to try your hands at this.

Lin.jpg

Just spotted this.. hopefully this will help bump it for other.. will see what I can do in the meantime

Graeme

Ok to do this I selected only the top section to avoid the colour replace affecting the rest of the image
Image - Adjustments - Replace Colour
Using the dropper selected the colour on the top area
Adjust the Hue so you can see a significant change as a preview
Adjust the Fuzziness which works like the magic wand tolerance.. this will let you find a level that allows the background to change without affecting the hair too much and hopefully find a level that keeps the two blended.
Once you find that you can adjust the hue, saturation etc to find the colour you prefer.

bgcolor.jpg

Hope this helps

Ok to do this I selected only the top section to avoid the colour replace affecting the rest of the image
Image - Adjustments - Replace Colour
Using the dropper selected the colour on the top area
Adjust the Hue so you can see a significant change as a preview
Adjust the Fuzziness which works like the magic wand tolerance.. this will let you find a level that allows the background to change without affecting the hair too much and hopefully find a level that keeps the two blended.
Once you find that you can adjust the hue, saturation etc to find the colour you prefer.

bgcolor.jpg

Hope this helps

Sorry but i'm just not getting this at all, i've tried what you have said but the whole picture is changing colour :thinking: :bonk: is there somewhere that goes through this step by step

The adjustments will affect any colours which are similar to the background unless you create a marquee round only the parts you would like to change.. It wouldn't have to be too accurate.

In the image I posted I notice the 3rd dropped is shown selected.. but you would add choose the colour to replace using the first dropper.. (the second dropper adds more than one colour to replace and the 3rd removes them).

The adjustments will affect any colours which are similar to the background unless you create a marquee round only the parts you would like to change.. It wouldn't have to be too accurate

but surely it would have to be accurate to get the desired affect, sorry if i'm not getting you on this, ok this is what i'm trying to achieve but with the hair looking the same as in the original, and is there a step by step tutorial of how to do this anywhere.

lindyforcalenderblack.jpg

Your going to have a hard job cutting into the hair to change the colour as its very near to the hair colour I would change the background to match that yellow colour instead just had a quick go at it to try, see what you think? and I do mean quick lol didnt think it was worth taking to much time over it due to the face covered in
Stef:)
Lin1.jpg

Is it the sort of thing you are trying to achieve (quick bodges)?

Lin.jpg

//edit //

or do you want the entire area blue ?

Lin1.jpg

Just wanted to give my apologies for not getting back to this thread, i just completely forgot all about it until a point from another thread jogged my memory, anyway i wanted to say thanks for all the feedback and help you guys put into it, i think i have it pretty much sorted now (y) (y) (y)

Back