Critique The Big Decision

i totally get where your coming from but i think the long shadow behind her adds something, ill post one up to see

try that

— The following comment was for the first posted version.

Very good work in my book.

Good dynamic in the frame as the negative space
is insisting on the dramatic of the serie noire treat-
ment where shadows are so revealing.

Very selfishly, I dig the possibilities (in terms of layout)
offered by this composition full of tensions. The scene
is quite
intense: the mirror is empty, the women is ready
to leave but stays, and no sign of joy at the perspective
of getting out of there… really like a big decision.

I love it!

Last edited:
I much prefer the first shot. It gives the impression of her being in an empty room whilst she contemplates her future. The second (cropped) shot is much more portrait and loses some of the drama for me. Horses for courses as always though.

i know im usually quite sure on something like this but im torn, im not afraid to do an unusual crop have done so many times

I like the cropped version and think there is enough of a long shadow in that version to convey the story, but I prefer the slightly darker background of the first.

Original crop for me. When I first saw it I thought "she's too central" and "it needs some cropping off the left" but as Bevvo said, what you gain in a more classic portrait composition you lose in drama. That emptiness behind her speaks volumes.

original for me too, and I hope you don't mind me saying, when I first saw it I thought it was a dummy as the skin is quite shiny and smooth.

But I love the desolate empty feeling, and I think you'd lose that if you cropped, and having the empty space behind her also makes me look round the room and appreciate the 40's style setting.

I much prefer the first shot. It gives the impression of her being in an empty room whilst she contemplates her future. The second (cropped) shot is much more portrait and loses some of the drama for me. Horses for courses as always though.

Yes the first shot gives that feeling of emptiness in the ladies life. An emotional shot.

As said if its just a portrait then cropping works better.............

If it was a solitary photo, I would go for cropping, but as part of a photo story, first gives a very strong message. (if that makes any sense)

Mj

Loving the concept and thought, both in, and involved in this.
My preference lies in No1; rather surreally, the all round space amplifies the uncertainty for me...
The crop seems to make her rather large in the frame and the intense elongated shadow is gone - if that makes sense?

yep total sense, its were i was coming from originally and why i was unsure whether it worked generally or whether it was just me and my quirkiness lol

Late to the game here.
But for me it works as you first did it.
Obviously nowt wrong with the second crop but not needed really.

Gaz

I think it works quite well.
I prefer the wider centered composition. IMO it creates a feeling of her aloneness and lostness faced with "the big decision." It also makes her gaze more "out of frame," as if into the unknown of what she may be facing.

i totally get where your coming from but i think the long shadow behind her adds something, ill post one up to see
Agreed . The original one at the top of the thread is best... Dead centre. Forget the camera club advice and thirds and all that. Why make It traditional? It's far more cinematic in the first one. That shadow works really well. You lose the narrative if you crop it.

Last edited:
Back