The book and zine making thread

If you mean the PDF from Mixam, I've checked one of my zines which is full colour and the Mixam PDF for 66 pages and file size is 43mb.

Thanks, that's reassuring. Obviously there's some clever compression going on. I did wonder if it would have been better to upload individual pages, and the site would find them easier to manage.

Can't help with the file size question, but that looks like a nice Zine Toni.

It's been a learning experience. My initial version was all mono, set into seasons. Got the wife to evaluate it, and she couldn't see a difference summer to winter, plus felt it was too many pictures. This breaks things up with the mix and has a different flow that's hopefully easier and more natural. I paid attention to putting images together on opposite pages.

My last zine PDF, full colour, A5, 24 pages plus cover came in at 55.6Mb.

I'll put my hands up and admit to having very little idea what I'm doing at a technical level though. I just dragged the images into Affinity Publisher and resized them there. I was using full resolution photos for this which might have had an impact on the PDF?

My last zine PDF, full colour, A5, 24 pages plus cover came in at 55.6Mb.

I'll put my hands up and admit to having very little idea what I'm doing at a technical level though. I just dragged the images into Affinity Publisher and resized them there. I was using full resolution photos for this which might have had an impact on the PDF?

Mine were already 300ppi at A4, so probably quite a bit smaller, plus publisher may use less compression.

Intriguing how varied the file sizes come out.

My last one was submitted as a full colour PDF, designed in Affinity Publisher, A5, 20 pages + 4 pages for cover coming in at 22Mb.

There was quite a bit of white border around many of the images though.

I thought that I would post on my limited experience of producing a zine/booklet with Affinity Publisher and Mixam printing.

I made one last year and I have produced 2 this year, one A4 and one A5 of my grandchildren's grassroots football teams' seasons.
I am the 'unofficial' photographer of home matches and usually publish on the club's facebook page but I believe in printing photos and the zine format is a cheap and efficient way of producing what I hope is a memento for them.

I have found the whole process relatively straightforward once i got the hang of the software.
Mixam service has been top-notch (they were happy to computer chat with me to explain the impact pf the 'bleed' and even did some auto adjustments for me) and the finshed product is excellent. I would recommend them wholeheartedly.

The football is an easy topic for me and if I ever get the inspiration for a theme for a zine then at least I have some knowledge of the publishing angle.

CN Football (1 of 1).jpg

Guys I'm looking for some help on this: I have become editor of a hobby journal for radio enthusiasts, which involves producing a monthly publication of between 30 and 48 pages including covers. Compiling and writing copy is not a problem, but production has me a bit outside my comfort zone. I think we are going to use Mixam for printing circa 70 copies, the rest going by email so no issues with them. Mixam have a downloadable pdf template showing their bleed and quiet areas on each page. How do I use that template? Do I just ensure that the marginds on my draft are at least as wide as the total in that template?
As it's mainly text with some illustrations, I have currently got my draft in MS Word and of course can export from there as pdf to upload to Mixam.
Is it as simple as that? The cover outer and inner pages are just the first two pages in my Word document.
I'd really appreciate some words of experience please? Then one of these days I'd love to join in the zine exchange if I can put together a suitably themed collection of images.

Thanks

Guys I'm looking for some help on this: I have become editor of a hobby journal for radio enthusiasts, which involves producing a monthly publication of between 30 and 48 pages including covers. Compiling and writing copy is not a problem, but production has me a bit outside my comfort zone. I think we are going to use Mixam for printing circa 70 copies, the rest going by email so no issues with them. Mixam have a downloadable pdf template showing their bleed and quiet areas on each page. How do I use that template? Do I just ensure that the marginds on my draft are at least as wide as the total in that template?
As it's mainly text with some illustrations, I have currently got my draft in MS Word and of course can export from there as pdf to upload to Mixam.
Is it as simple as that? The cover outer and inner pages are just the first two pages in my Word document.
I'd really appreciate some words of experience please? Then one of these days I'd love to join in the zine exchange if I can put together a suitably themed collection of images.

Thanks

If it’s B+W then you can do it in Wird, however if there is any colour then you need to export using a package that supports CMYK colour - Mixam have a profile reference on their site, I can look it up tomorrow and post in this thread

Affinity Publisher does everything you need @lindsay, as David says above you need to export CMYK for colour printing or else the colours are all over the place and publisher lets you set up the margins, etc. properly

If it's all black and white with a colour cover check Doxdirect for pricing. They're less fussy on colour spaces and bleeds in my experience. Pretty much whatever would come out of your desktop A4 printer from a Word/OpenOffice document is what their print will look like. I've done zines with them using OpenOffice exported PDFs before I got Affinity Publisher.

Thanks @sirch and @Mr Perceptive . I'll install Affinity Publisher as it's an ongoing thing and may well go colour once I get established with the job.
Thanks too @Ed Sutton for the tip if we stay B&W.
Just to clarify though - I don't need to use the Mixam-supplied pdf template except as info for the margin widths?

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

BTW when you upload to Mixam it does reasonable job of checking things like dimentions and gives you a preview before you order so you get chance to fix things

Late to the party, but I never check margins these days. Any text I keep well away and photos I also either keep well away, or run right to the edge knowing I'll lose a bit in the trim.

If it's a simple pdf you've done in word, it should upload to Mixam. They have a preview button so you can see how each page will look. I usually make a cock up somewhere and have to re-pdf and upload it, but having the preview makes reviewing what you'll get quite straightforward. If you're doing this regularly, you'll very quickly get into the swing of it. The first one might not be perfect, but subsequent ones will improve as you learn.

Thanks again, it sounds like I may not need Affinity Publisher then, but I might get the Affinity whole package anyway as I need to do other stuff of that sort occasionally now.

When starting out with producing a photobook, using Affinity Publisher, I found this youtube video helpful........

There many more possibly useful ones on this channel. I noticed, but not watched, this one.....

Issue 11 of Offline Journal is all about self publishing. Some stuff that might be of interest/assistance to some in it.

After Mixam's recent bad reviews I thought I'd post my latest experience.

I ordered a single copy of my latest sheep related nonsense to make sure all was well. Mixam quickly emailed me to ask if it was a test printing. I replied that it was. The box that arrived today felt heavy for a single copy, even at 80 pages plus cover. Pleasantly surprised to find three copies enclosed. (y)

_7513631.jpg

Issue 11 of Offline Journal is all about self publishing. Some stuff that might be of interest/assistance to some in it.

I've just ordered my copy.........

I've just ordered my copy.........
I've got a few editions. Wales seems to have a strong photo network doing regional work, without much of the artiness I see in other areas. Liverpool's Open Eye gallery is very 'arty' these days.

After Mixam's recent bad reviews I thought I'd post my latest experience.

I ordered a single copy of my latest sheep related nonsense to make sure all was well. Mixam quickly emailed me to ask if it was a test printing. I replied that it was. The box that arrived today felt heavy for a single copy, even at 80 pages plus cover. Pleasantly surprised to find three copies enclosed. (y)

View attachment 410537
I got a batch of 20 on January 9th, and sold the last one yesterday. Might even have to order some more. :)

The next perfect bound book I do I'll make sure I leave more space at the centre where the pages meet. It doesn't matter with saddle stitching as that opens out flat. Another lesson learned.

Back