The Box Camera Photo Gallery

Mr Badger

Didymus
Edit My Images
No
The Box Camera Photo Gallery has been launched to provide a home for any photos taken using a simple, traditional-type, box camera, regardless of the make or year of manufacture. It's a non-competitive thread (like the 'show us yer film shots then!' thread) and should hopefully run alongside and complement the Box Brownie Challenge ( https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...enge-registration-thread.649482/#post-7771876 ), providing a comparison between the different makes of box camera over the years, and the quality of images they can still produce.

Ideally, people will also post a photo of the camera they used, together with a few words about it, the film they used, etc. This thread should then build up to be an interesting reference gallery, as well as being good fun to post photos on. So why not dust off that box camera and run a film through it? :)

I've got one of those Coronet Twelve-20 cameras too, bought it years ago when I was about 15. It would sometimes give quite nice (if a little soft) results, but then suffer from light leaks on other shots, giving what we now know as a 'Lomography' type effect, which I believe is quite trendy in certain circles! I found it also gave a kind of halo effect (refraction) when using the small aperture and taking a shot into direct sunlight, which didn't look too bad particularly if it was a shot of water or some other reflective type surface.

Anyway, here are a couple of shots I took with it years ago (using Kodak Ektachrome slide film), the first one is about as good as I got from it, followed by a light-leaky one to show its 'Hipster' side!

img312 by J White, on Flickr

img305 by J White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice photos. As for the light leak, have you tried covering the film number window with a bit of black (not too sticky or you might pull the window out!) tape, and winding on out of strong light to see if that's the cause?

Nice photos. As for the light leak, have you tried covering the film number window with a bit of black (not too sticky or you might pull the window out!) tape, and winding on out of strong light to see if that's the cause?
Yeah, I usually tape it up on sunny days, weirdly it was taped up for the second shot and not the for the first! :LOL: I don't really mind it though, just put it down to showing its age.

Contacts (simulated from scans) of the first spool in my Brownie 2/F...

B2F Test Contacts.jpg

All shots were done on Instantaneous at f/Large. Film was expired Acros, done in HC-110 dil B for 5.5 minutes. Neg density looks pretty good, and I'm pleased with the results, even if an earthquake did make things tricky in the first shot of the swans (impressive how they can swim uphill like that...). One thing I found was that the tension was a bit lacking on the take-up spool, which resulted in a bit of light leak at the edges of the last 3 frames when I took the spool out - it's most evident on the edge of the shot with the buildings. I have a plan for increasing the tension (bits of rubber glued to the springy bit on the loaded spool to create some extra drag).

I don't know why the first shot has such strong vignetting while the others don't. Maybe something to do with how it scanned.

Contacts (simulated from scans) of the first spool in my Brownie 2/F...

View attachment 99050

All shots were done on Instantaneous at f/Large. Film was expired Acros, done in HC-110 dil B for 5.5 minutes. Neg density looks pretty good, and I'm pleased with the results, even if an earthquake did make things tricky in the first shot of the swans (impressive how they can swim uphill like that...). One thing I found was that the tension was a bit lacking on the take-up spool, which resulted in a bit of light leak at the edges of the last 3 frames when I took the spool out - it's most evident on the edge of the shot with the buildings. I have a plan for increasing the tension (bits of rubber glued to the springy bit on the loaded spool to create some extra drag).

I don't know why the first shot has such strong vignetting while the others don't. Maybe something to do with how it scanned.

Another Edinburgh based film shooter?

This was the rather odd halo effect I mentioned in post #4 when using the Coronet Twelve-20 into the sun on the smaller aperture setting. Lens flare meets diffraction? Never mind, I suppose people paid good money in the 1980s for effects filters that did stuff like that! :D

Ring of bright water:
img221a by J White, on Flickr

It's in the trees!
img222a by J White, on Flickr

Coronet Twelve-20, Kodacolor II 100 ISO print film.

Last edited:
Cokin would have charged a fortune for that!

I managed to clean the lens on my No 2 Brownie and put a test film through it the other week (after waiting for a suitably sunny day) and was quite pleased with the results, they're quite acceptable as long as you don't look too hard at the corners and edges. Not bad for something made in 1924 anyway!

img235 by J White, on Flickr

So it looks like I'm ready to start grabbing some shots for the Box Brownie Challenge. :) Anyone else tried theirs yet?

Edit: Forgot to add: Kodak Box Brownie No2 Model F (made in Canada), Fuji Across 100.

Last edited:

Edradour Distillery
Camera: Kodak Brownie No.2 Model F
Film: Ilford Pan F 50
Dev: Rodinal 1:100 semi-stand 1hr

So it looks like I'm ready to start grabbing some shots for the Box Brownie Challenge. :) Anyone else tried theirs yet?
I was just looking for that Box Brownie Challenge Gallery thread, as I've got a couple more from this trip...

I was just looking for that Box Brownie Challenge Gallery thread, as I've got a couple more from this trip...

Let me know when you are ready folks, and I'll start the Box Brownie Challenge Entries thread off. (y) The closing date is 31st of October, so plenty of time yet... I thought I'd wait until a couple of people had some photos to enter before starting a thread off, otherwise it's going to drop down the charts and get lost before people have posted anything on it! :)

Last edited:
I'll be putting a roll through mine sometime soon, hopefully it will all work ok.

Back