The Brecon Beacons

Name
Sidney
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

The other day I was offered to go on a camping holiday in Wales, and while I normally would have abstained and kept to my to my central-heated habitat, I accepted, partly because I had seen some great landscapes up on here.

After studying a map we decided that the place to go would be the Breacon Beacons. The idea is to possible stay at 2 different sites (one on either side of the beacons, for around 2 nights at each site) in order to be able to cover as much of the beacons as possible.

I have never stepped foot in Wales, and the only basis for my selection of this area is a large-scale A-Z and a quick Flickr search. So I would like to hear some advice. Where is the best place to shoot landscapes? Is there only one area of the beacons that is photographically interesting? What camp sites do you recommend for quick access (would be shooting during sunrises/sunsets, and not to keen on walking miles for a shot in the dark)? and what is your experience of the area?

Cheers,

Sid.

I live in wales and go to the Brecons quite a bit. Landscapes will vary from forested areas, moorlands, waterfalls depending on what area you are in.

Plenty of walks around and great landscapes can be had with very little walking if thats not your thing. Although the best photo opportunities will require a bit more walking and climbing.

If you have an iphone or ipad download an app called Mid Wales. There is a load of information about places to visit, maps, attractions etc.

If you have an iphone or ipad download an app called Mid Wales. There is a load of information about places to visit, maps, attractions etc.

Thanks a lot, got the guide on the iPad now, it's really useful.

Cheers,

Sid.

Wow! Thank you so much, this is just the sort of site I was looking for! Some great locations on there.

Cheers,

Sid.

llangorse is great for sunrise,
tal y bont wont have any water over flowing but makes a nice shot,
pontstilic reservoirs next door has a very cool plug hole instead of waterfall, but again not enough water to over flow.
Between the two reservoirs are an incredible amount of waterfalls, some of which are stunning to photograph, watch out for the carpark near a stone bridge on the road that links to two and go for a walk ;-)
Llangynidr moors are very special at sunset, most of my car shots have been done there

By pontstilic reservoir is the merthyr steam railway, worth a pic or two as well if your in that area, Monkeyballs has given most of the others I would have sugested, all worth a look.

Sid

Talk to me about locations when we get back to school; the family are all from mid-Wales so I know the area quite well. Loads of great places for landscapes etc.

Spooks

Thanks a lot for all of your responses, all look great and have been added to a list of locations.

Sid

Talk to me about locations when we get back to school; the family are all from mid-Wales so I know the area quite well. Loads of great places for landscapes etc.

Spooks

Thanks, and will do. Now saving to towards getting an ND filter to try out some long exposure stuff on waterfalls, I hear that the Beacons are littered with them! Landscapes are one of those areas of photography that I have almost zero experience, so I hope to improve quite a bit.

I still need to come and have a look at that folder as well, are you free Thursday period 1?

Thanks a lot,

Sid.

Back